C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

HID kits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
22 X3, 21 330e, 97 M3, 97 C36 (sold), but on the hunt for a clean, low-mile C43!
HID kits

Does anyone here know why some W202 HID kits on Ebay are going for $260 while others are only $35? Yes I understand there are always cheap Made-in-Taiwan knock-offs that will cost less, but by this much?!?! There's gotta be another story that I'm clearly missing.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPS C43 AMG, E36 M3, MK3 GTi VR6, 66 FORD F100, 85 FORD F250, 04 GSXR
I'm trying to figure out how I want to go about using my 55w kits from the M in the C43...don't really need them for the driving lights (might just be able to switch out the ballasts), but I'm wondering what might be needed for the fogs. (i.e. resistors, splicing, bulb fitment, etc..) I know I'm going to need different bulbs than the H1's I currently have for them...
Old 11-09-2010, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
I converted my apron fogs to HID. I would recommend using a 35W kit as the 55W kit might melt your foglight housing. Installation was easy, I had to drill a hole in the bottom of the fog light housing to accept the wiring from the HID ballast, other than that all you have to do is mount the ballast.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:41 PM

I might just use the headlight ballasts for the fogs then (already mounted low enough) and use one of the 55w kits for the headlights. Did you have to splice the wiring for the fog harness to fit the 35w ballast? I noticed that the plug in harness for the fog lights is a lot smaller than I'm used to.. unless it joins up somewhere else in the engine bay for a bigger connection..?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:22 PM

22 X3, 21 330e, 97 M3, 97 C36 (sold), but on the hunt for a clean, low-mile C43!
^^Hey guys, thanks for jacking my thread.

So, any input on the price discrepancies of said HID kits??
Old 11-09-2010, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I've seen a huge variation in price on these kits too, but fundamentally they all do the same thing. I've seen them at the Honda dealer for $300, but I've picked up cheap kits from Chinatown shops for like $65.

There is variable quality on the bulbs and the ballasts. Some of the ballasts are cheap, bulky items, but the nicer ones are German made (purportedly) and much slimmer.

I suggest that you see if you can find a local distributor or shop, then you can actually see the kit in person. I've used the cheap Chinese made ones, on several cars. On my old '98 Volvo, the H7 replacement kit was fine, but sometimes it would take a few tries, very annoying, for the bulb to ignite. I'd be sitting there flicking the switch back and forth. Also, because the car was Canadian spec, it had daytime running lights, so the actual headlight switch had to be reset (I had a friend do it so I can't remember the particulars) so that it acted like a non DRL car.

I put a set on my old Saab too, with factory H4 combination high and low beam bulb. The aftermarket kit had a cheap H3 bulb tacked on there for the 'high beam', but I ended up just running without high beams and just the H4 shaped HID bulb. It was horrible because the light dispersion was all over the place. At night people were thinking I was on my high beams, as the light wasn't cut off, but just going everywhere and too high. I tried some mods, but they weren't 100% effective and soon after I sold the car. I currently have a kit in my fogs, that cost me C$120 and it has proven reliable.

Are the factory halogens separate for high and low beams? If so, then I think a simple kit will be fine. But if you are getting a kit that replaces a single bulb with both high and low beam, make sure you get a decent one. I'm fortunate in having factory HIDs, though I put in 6000k bulbs to match the fogs. I went cheap on the bulbs too. Reputable Phillips HID replacements were like C$130 and I think only 4300K. I think I paid C$85 for a pair of 6000K replacement bulbs, cheap Chinese made ones. For the price I couldn't argue. One of them was a bit iffy, but the local shop just gave me another one and I've had no issues since.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moon buggy
OP, it could be because the HID kits are OEM for European cars like Mercedes,
BMW etc. IDK.

I got my set for my Honda Odyssey from this site:

http://www.tnrlighting.net

Located in SF bay area. For an extra $30 he will install the kit on your car.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
How have these treated you? OP, if these are getting good reviews this might be the best way to go... Ebay and lights always scare me... Kinda like a box of chocolates- if you will.

Originally Posted by ob1kenobi
OP, it could be because the HID kits are OEM for European cars like Mercedes,
BMW etc. IDK.

I got my set for my Honda Odyssey from this site:

http://www.tnrlighting.net

Located in SF bay area. For an extra $30 he will install the kit on your car.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:04 PM

Sorry to thread jack ya a little bit back there.

I'm planning on using my Apexcone/DDM slim ballasts off the M...I'm sure they still have good prices on their 35w and 55w kits if you want to check back over on bf.c...they can give you whatever bulbs you need for any of their kits as well.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:18 PM

moon buggy
Over 3 years now and no problem. They are made in Germany.

Originally Posted by austinholloman
How have these treated you? OP, if these are getting good reviews this might be the best way to go... Ebay and lights always scare me... Kinda like a box of chocolates- if you will.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
I've seen a huge variation in price on these kits too, but fundamentally they all do the same thing. I've seen them at the Honda dealer for $300, but I've picked up cheap kits from Chinatown shops for like $65.

There is variable quality on the bulbs and the ballasts. Some of the ballasts are cheap, bulky items, but the nicer ones are German made (purportedly) and much slimmer.

I suggest that you see if you can find a local distributor or shop, then you can actually see the kit in person. I've used the cheap Chinese made ones, on several cars. On my old '98 Volvo, the H7 replacement kit was fine, but sometimes it would take a few tries, very annoying, for the bulb to ignite. I'd be sitting there flicking the switch back and forth. Also, because the car was Canadian spec, it had daytime running lights, so the actual headlight switch had to be reset (I had a friend do it so I can't remember the particulars) so that it acted like a non DRL car.

I put a set on my old Saab too, with factory H4 combination high and low beam bulb. The aftermarket kit had a cheap H3 bulb tacked on there for the 'high beam', but I ended up just running without high beams and just the H4 shaped HID bulb. It was horrible because the light dispersion was all over the place. At night people were thinking I was on my high beams, as the light wasn't cut off, but just going everywhere and too high. I tried some mods, but they weren't 100% effective and soon after I sold the car. I currently have a kit in my fogs, that cost me C$120 and it has proven reliable.

Are the factory halogens separate for high and low beams? If so, then I think a simple kit will be fine. But if you are getting a kit that replaces a single bulb with both high and low beam, make sure you get a decent one. I'm fortunate in having factory HIDs, though I put in 6000k bulbs to match the fogs. I went cheap on the bulbs too. Reputable Phillips HID replacements were like C$130 and I think only 4300K. I think I paid C$85 for a pair of 6000K replacement bulbs, cheap Chinese made ones. For the price I couldn't argue. One of them was a bit iffy, but the local shop just gave me another one and I've had no issues since.

After driving my car for the past few days and talking to the orig owner. I have the china jobs on my car and I can't stand the turning on and off until they ignite! Ill be replacing them soon.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:02 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Over 3 years now and no problem. They are made in Germany.
what brand are these aftermarket german HID's?
are they real german parts made in germany?

where can they be bought cheap?

how is the quality of these parts?
Old 11-22-2010, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kowalski
what brand are these aftermarket german HID's?
are they real german parts made in germany?

where can they be bought cheap?

how is the quality of these parts?

+1

I would love to pick a set up.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:15 PM

^^I think he provided this info in post #7.

tnrlighting.net?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Man its been a long week. I went to the link and I already have it set as a favorite. Sheeeshhh driving 1500 miles in two days alone really takes it out of a guy...
Old 11-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by siideways
^^I think he provided this info in post #7.

tnrlighting.net?
is it this one you refer to?
http://www.tnrlighting.net/high-quality-hid.html

there were to many stuff on their website I don't know which one it is?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:41 AM

ob1kenobi? this question is for you.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:46 AM

moon buggy
I honestly do not remember the name sorry.
But one thing I regret is getting 8000k instead of 6000k.

6000k is plenty enough to light your path at night. Using 8000k while driving in the rain blinds not only the oncoming traffic but also the one you're following.
I plan to replace it with 6000k in the next few months.
Why don't you give the guy at T & R Lighting a call and find out exactly the name.

Good luck.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I honestly do not remember the name sorry.
But one thing I regret is getting 8000k instead of 6000k.

6000k is plenty enough to light your path at night. Using 8000k while driving in the rain blinds not only the oncoming traffic but also the one you're following.
I plan to replace it with 6000k in the next few months.
Why don't you give the guy at T & R Lighting a call and find out exactly the name.

Good luck.
6k actually puts out more light in terms of lumens, after 6k the lumens begin to drop off. As far as blinding oncoming traffic, sounds like your problem is with the dispersal of the light which is usually the culprit with cheaper bulbs. I have 8k bulbs and think they are great and I never get flashed by oncoming traffic.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:49 PM

moon buggy
From the naked eye, the difference you can see immediately (comparison side by side) is the more bluish (some people call them purple) color put out by the 8000K temp. 6000K bulbs will also blind oncoming traffic and those in front of me. Since it's been raining lately, that doubles the glare coming from the lights.
However in my case, it's the lens. Unfortunately since my car is not outfitted with OEM HID headlight housing, the after market HID kit replacement does not address the fact that the OEM lens for non-HID are the culprit.
In addition, OEM HID headlight housings for w202 cars are somewhat impossible to come by, if you get lucky and found one they are very expensive. I've already asked MBENZNL for a quote on these housings but they are not economically wise to get them for the price of these cars now.
Let alone it's very rare.

good luck to the OP.

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
6k actually puts out more light in terms of lumens, after 6k the lumens begin to drop off. As far as blinding oncoming traffic, sounds like your problem is with the dispersal of the light which is usually the culprit with cheaper bulbs. I have 8k bulbs and think they are great and I never get flashed by oncoming traffic.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Oh man, I remember last year there was a posting for NIB W202 Xenon housings. I think the guy wanted $1,200. Not sure if there were ballasts or not.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From the naked eye, the difference you can see immediately (comparison side by side) is the more bluish (some people call them purple) color put out by the 8000K temp. 6000K bulbs will also blind oncoming traffic and those in front of me. Since it's been raining lately, that doubles the glare coming from the lights.
However in my case, it's the lens. Unfortunately since my car is not outfitted with OEM HID headlight housing, the after market HID kit replacement does not address the fact that the OEM lens for non-HID are the culprit.
In addition, OEM HID headlight housings for w202 cars are somewhat impossible to come by, if you get lucky and found one they are very expensive. I've already asked MBENZNL for a quote on these housings but they are not economically wise to get them for the price of these cars now.
Let alone it's very rare.

good luck to the OP.
I converted my headlights from non HID to HID so I would assume we have the same lens (non OEM HID). I have 8k bulbs and my headlights light up the road raining or not (I live in Oregon where it rains 9 months out of the year). Perhaps you should try to re-aim your headlights if you are not getting the desired light output. I re-aimed my headlights to the specifications in the owners manual and I light up the road without blinding oncoming traffic. If that doesn't work then like I said before perhaps it is the HID kit you are using.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
I converted my headlights from non HID to HID so I would assume we have the same lens (non OEM HID). I have 8k bulbs and my headlights light up the road raining or not (I live in Oregon where it rains 9 months out of the year). Perhaps you should try to re-aim your headlights if you are not getting the desired light output. I re-aimed my headlights to the specifications in the owners manual and I light up the road without blinding oncoming traffic. If that doesn't work then like I said before perhaps it is the HID kit you are using.

I agree. I not only have 8k bulbs with stock housing but I have the brighter than stock 55w output ballasts too and was not flashed once on my 1500 mile road trip, most of which was at night. I say re-aim those bad boys.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:14 PM

OK, I'm a little confused (again)...are the in-headlamp-housing foglight bulbs (C36-only feature) the same as the lower apron foglight bulbs? If not, how do they differ? I know one of the two is an H1, I just don't know which? The owner's manual doesn't clarify this at all, aaargh!!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by siideways
OK, I'm a little confused (again)...are the in-headlamp-housing foglight bulbs (C36-only feature) the same as the lower apron foglight bulbs? If not, how do they differ? I know one of the two is an H1, I just don't know which? The owner's manual doesn't clarify this at all, aaargh!!
I know the apron fogs are H1 not sure about the headlight fogs though...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HID kits