C43 to C55 swap and CA smog

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by Detox01
Anyone have any knowledge about doing a C55 swap and dealing with CA smog.

Thanks
Just swap out the 4.3L motor,put in the 5.5L motor and you'll have no smog nor appearance issues. The engines are both externally identical to the bolt. Only difference is the crank and the piston and bore size which is obviously ALL internal.

just do the swap and you'll be good. There were Twoo conversions that I know of from Cali.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
Originally Posted by MarcusF
The parts went right back on as soon as the exhaust cooled enough to swap. Although I didn't come up with the idea. That's been happening in SoCal since the 1970's. Maybe earlier.

At most Cali smog test stations, if you don't show a CEL while running (they check to see if the light works), pass the sniffer, and have a working gas cap - you're set. Engine swaps and full exhausts (headers and removing the cats) come under the domain of the EPA (Federal law), so Texas has the same issues that Cali does. There is also no safety inspection in Cali.

Doesn't Texas require safety tests every year? In the Texas counties that require smog tests, isn't that done every year too?
Safety test? None that I have ever taken part in. And people here get away with some pretty crazy mods to their exhaust also... Maybe they just know people?
Old 12-17-2010, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Just swap out the 4.3L motor,put in the 5.5L motor and you'll have no smog nor appearance issues. The engines are both externally identical to the bolt. Only difference is the crank and the piston and bore size which is obviously ALL internal.

just do the swap and you'll be good. There were Twoo conversions that I know of from Cali.
God I can't wait until the day I make this change!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 Black Opal C43
I live in Cali, and I think they hook up a computer to the OBDII link during the smog check. And it's definitely reading something off the ECU. So I wonder if they can identify something through there even if you use the original ECU on the C43 for the swap?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
In California, the smog tech connects their analyzer test lead to the car's diagnostic link connector (DLC) for an electronic scan. The scan checks the status and posts the results of the readiness indicators, system faults and CEL. There is no way for the DLC to know the size of the engine.

The only way for a smog center to determine if an engine swap has happened is for the tech to figure it out. Smog center techs see 10 or so different cars a day - all different models and manufacturers. "I think" the odds of a tech being able to look at the block and and tell the difference between a 430 and a 55 with the air cleaner in place are slim.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by MarcusF
In California, the smog tech connects their analyzer test lead to the car's diagnostic link connector (DLC) for an electronic scan. The scan checks the status and posts the results of the readiness indicators, system faults and CEL. There is no way for the DLC to know the size of the engine.

The only way for a smog center to determine if an engine swap has happened is for the tech to figure it out. Smog center techs see 10 or so different cars a day - all different models and manufacturers. "I think" the odds of a tech being able to look at the block and and tell the difference between a 430 and a 55 with the air cleaner in place are slim.
I bet even with the air cleaner off they couldn't tell....
Old 01-03-2011, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
I would take a C55 any day over a stock C43. I would even pay more for it, so there you go, the swap does add value.

A friend of mine is doing a 5.5l swap on his C43 here soon, so I have dumped a ton of time in research into the project for him.

No smog station will be able to tell you swapped motors, the engine number is not reflected on the registration and there is no VIN number stamped on the engine. You would need to pull the data card for the VIN, which would give you the original engine number.

If you don't already have a portable ODBII scanner, you should get one. Once you do the swap and reset the ECU, you would need to drive the car for a bit before all the emissions checks are reset. The scanner will also let you know if there are any problems BEFORE you go through the smog check.

If your C43 passed smog, then it will with the E55 motor in the car, assuming of course you don't mess with any of the emission control equipment or cats.