C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

esp abs lights continued

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 c230
esp abs lights continued

Ok changed the brakes switch with no luck, just got back from auto zone it appears the battery and alternator are good,

does anyone know what the out put should be, my battery is 12.9 they say it passed not sure what it should be for the c43

I keep thinking power booster is week any ideas on how to check it and do you think it could be behind the lights
Old 04-01-2011, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I had the same issue. I replaced the brake switch, reset the steering angle sensor with the wheel to the left and right procedure, also removed the negative battery lead - all nothing. It ended up being the ABS pump. I needed help in figuring this out - I had the car hooked up to the Mercedes Star diagnostics, which very quickly found the issue. Have you tried that? I take it you aren't getting any ABS or ESP at all?

Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain the ABS pump is only available through the dealer, and I was quoted C$2100. Maybe cheaper in the US? If that's your problem, I would try buying salvage parts first.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
12.9V

from the battery is perfect.
Charging voltage while running that would be way low.
Did you check that you got a real mb switch like from autohausaz or the dealer?
Did you check that the self adjusting pin is working properly?
Did you check your brake light sockets for corrosion around the bulb,base,socket and wires?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:49 PM

2006 c230
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
I had the same issue. I replaced the brake switch, reset the steering angle sensor with the wheel to the left and right procedure, also removed the negative battery lead - all nothing. It ended up being the ABS pump. I needed help in figuring this out - I had the car hooked up to the Mercedes Star diagnostics, which very quickly found the issue. Have you tried that? I take it you aren't getting any ABS or ESP at all?

Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain the ABS pump is only available through the dealer, and I was quoted C$2100. Maybe cheaper in the US? If that's your problem, I would try buying salvage parts first.
I could believe it can be the pump as my peddle if you push hard it goes down but makes no difference in how much brakes are applied especially when sitting. the star system locally the dealer wants over 200 to hook it it,
Old 04-01-2011, 06:56 PM

2006 c230
Originally Posted by ohlord
from the battery is perfect.
Charging voltage while running that would be way low.
Did you check that you got a real mb switch like from autohausaz or the dealer?
Did you check that the self adjusting pin is working properly?
Did you check your brake light sockets for corrosion around the bulb,base,socket and wires?
no the guy said the charging was also perfect

funny thing about autohaus bought a mbz switch from them got it was not mbz, (but i ordered a mbz part)pos didn't work no brake lights no cruise, put original back in had brake lights and cruise. sent back got another now my cruise doesn't work, they were real jerks when i spoke to them over the phone so i think ill buy somewhere else from here on had a similar problem on my 911. headed out now to put original switch back in
Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Originally Posted by Outlawlatemodel
I could believe it can be the pump as my peddle if you push hard it goes down but makes no difference in how much brakes are applied especially when sitting. the star system locally the dealer wants over 200 to hook it it,
Jayzuz, 2 bills for Star?!? The local indy shop did it for me for free! It literally took just five minutes. Try shopping around? The shop I went to typically charges $50.