C43 maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
C43 maintenance

Just talked with the dealership about the scheduled maintenance of the C43, listed below are the AMG recommended maintenance intervals:

Every 2 Years:
Brake fluid flush/change

Every 3 years:
Engine coolant flush/change

Every 5 years:
Fuel filter replacement
Spark Plug replacement
Transmission service
Rear differential service

I have completed all of the above except the brake fluid and rear differential fluid. I am replacing the brake fluid within the next 2 weeks and I have scheduled the rear differential fluid replacement next week. Rear differential service is $110 at my local MB dealer.

Piece of mind knowing that my next service (beside oil change) isn't due for almost 2 years, I like to keep my baby in the best condition possible
Old 05-02-2011, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you DIY the spark plug change? I'm going to change out my car's this weekend. Finally get rid of random misfire on cylinder #5 LOL
Old 05-02-2011, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 c43 / 99 ml430
I did on my ml430 and it was no biggie except the plugs next to the firewall. I will be doing ml c43 plugs within a few thousand miles. The ml felt like it got a mild chiptune after I did it.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 PM

C43 AMG & E55 AMG
the car is now 12 years old +++
you need to do most of all this every 1-2 years easy lol.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:14 PM

99 c43 / 99 ml430
I like you enthusiasm for your c43 but usage is a factor not just time.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:58 AM

500hp+ IS300
All of that service can be done quite easily at home if you have a decent set of tools, and if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. Then you will begin to appreciate your rare AMG even more knowing that you yourself serviced it.

Plus you will have loads of extra cash to buy lots of parts with!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
For those who are doing their own maintenance, this list may help.
Note: Your fuel filter appears to last a year longer than it does on a CLK.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MarcusF
For those who are doing their own maintenance, this list may help.
Note: Your fuel filter appears to last a year longer than it does on a CLK.
NICE LIST!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Maintenance is the key to a long and happy life.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:20 AM

99 c43 / 99 ml430
thats why i do hot yoga
Old 05-08-2011, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I went through and made a list of all preventative maintenance and repair I have done on my C43:

RIMS (when I got the car the after market rims on my car didn't have the correct offset)
TIRES (when I got the car the tires sucked BIG TIME)
HID LIGHTS (when I got the car the head lights (stock halogen) sucked BIG TIME)
CRYSTAL FOGS (when I got the car the fog lights (stock halogen) sucked BIG TIME)
HID FOGS
FOG LIGHT WIRING HARNESS R/L (when I got the car the harnesses for the fogs were DESTROYED on both driver and passenger side)
MAF (when I got the car the MAF was in DESPERATE need of replacement)
VALVE COVERS RESEALED (when I got the car the valve covers were leaking oil (TINY amount but I could smell the oil burning)
PLUGS (when I got the car the plugs were in DESPERATE need of replacement)
WIRES (when I got the car the wires were in DESPERATE need of replacement)
SERP BELT (the belt was make a squeaking noise that bothered me so I changed the belt)
FUEL FILTER (had it changed during the B service)
POWER STEERING PUMP (it was starting to make the old power steering pump bearing "whirr" so I changed it)
TRANNY SERVICED (one of the first things I did when I got the car as I am DEATHLY afraid of having the old "C43 tranny issue")
BUMPER BRACKET (my bumper was not aligned very well when I got the car and then was made worse when a neighbor gave my front bumper a "love tap". Just replaced it)
SPRINGS (replaced for better performance as well as a more aggressive stance)
SPRING PADS (used the largest possible to aid in proper alignment)
SHOCKS (replaced as my car had 117K and the shocks were due for replacement)
ALL FRONT CONTROL ARMS (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
ALL REAR CONTROL ARMS (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
DRAG LINK (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
BALL JOINTS
(replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
STEERING DAMPER (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
SWAY BAR BUSHINGS (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
SWAY BAR LINKS (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
REAR SUB FRAME BUSHINGS (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
IDLER ARM BUSHING (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
FLEX DISC FRONT/REAR (front disc was cracking and rear was close)
CENTER SUPPORT BEARING (center support bearing was SHOT, needed to be replaced when I bought the vehicle)

The majority of this was done by choice rather than need but it definitely brings piece of mind as I will admit I like to drive my vehicle hard but at the same time I like to pamper my vehicle and keep all of the maintenance up to date.

Last edited by 503C43 ////AMG; 05-08-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 PM

1999 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
I went through and made a list of all preventative maintenance and repair I have done on my C43:

RIMS (when I got the car the after market rims on my car didn't have the correct offset)
CRYSTAL FOGS (when I got the car the fog lights (stock halogen) sucked BIG TIME)
HID FOGS
FOG LIGHT WIRING HARNESS R/L (when I got the car the harnesses for the fogs were DESTROYED on both driver and passenger side)
VALVE COVERS RESEALED (when I got the car the valve covers were leaking oil (TINY amount but I could smell the oil burning)
SERP BELT (the belt was make a squeaking noise that bothered me so I changed the belt)
POWER STEERING PUMP (it was starting to make the old power steering pump bearing "whirr" so I changed it)
TRANNY SERVICED (one of the first things I did when I got the car as I am DEATHLY afraid of having the old "C43 tranny issue")
BUMPER BRACKET (my bumper was not aligned very well when I got the car and then was made worse when a neighbor gave my front bumper a "love tap". Just replaced it)
ALL FRONT CONTROL ARMS (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
ALL REAR CONTROL ARMS (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
DRAG LINK (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
BALL JOINTS
(replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
STEERING DAMPER (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
SWAY BAR BUSHINGS (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
SWAY BAR LINKS (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
REAR SUB FRAME BUSHINGS (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
IDLER ARM BUSHING (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)
CENTER SUPPORT BEARING (center support bearing was SHOT, needed to be replaced when I bought the vehicle)

The majority of this was done by choice rather than need but it definitely brings piece of mind as I will admit I like to drive my vehicle hard but at the same time I like to pamper my vehicle and keep all of the maintenance up to date.
this is a GREAT list..tks for sharing. did you get all MB parts? how much was all this? id like to do the same. how do i know if i need new springs?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
about sparkplugs?

when i changed my plugs my car had only covered 45000 miles.
that was in 2007, now it is 2012 and my car has covered approx 63000 miles
that's only 18000 miles i drove with new plugs.

should i change them or not?
my car is not a daily driver, plugs is kinda costly to change if i haven't been driving very much with my car?

what could happen if i don't change them every 5 years??
Old 05-14-2012, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG

HID FOGS
BALL JOINTS (replaced to refresh the feeling of my vehicle as well as preventative maintenance)

It's nice to see someone taking proper care of this classic AMG.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by illmaticnyc
this is a GREAT list..tks for sharing. did you get all MB parts? how much was all this? id like to do the same. how do i know if i need new springs?
I tried to stay OEM as much as possible unless there was a product that was clearly superior or a better fit for the direction I was taking (i.e. bilstein sports for my Vogtland springs, etc...) The total cost was around $3500 for parts and I had a shop install everything for around $1300 for a grand total of $4800. I would be surprised if you needed new springs, most likely you need new shocks if they haven't been replaced.

Originally Posted by kowalski
about sparkplugs?

when i changed my plugs my car had only covered 45000 miles.
that was in 2007, now it is 2012 and my car has covered approx 63000 miles
that's only 18000 miles i drove with new plugs.

should i change them or not?
my car is not a daily driver, plugs is kinda costly to change if i haven't been driving very much with my car?

what could happen if i don't change them every 5 years??
I would change them just for piece of mind but I am CRAZY like that (just look at what I did with my suspension)
Old 05-15-2012, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Get those plugs changed asap!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM

99 C43 ///AMG
This is a GREAT thread!

Looks like I am on top (+previous owner did stuff at MB like the plugs)

However one did not mention Engine Mounts! Lately, I noticed (mostly when cold) a chattering vibration especially when I get to the first stoplight when pulled out by my house. It never done this before and when I had my C230K w202 it did the similar thing when engine mounts were at fault.

Looks like I have to do those and the fuel filter soon.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1998 C43 AMG
@503,
Can you get most of these items at online sources like autohausaz ?
Old 06-24-2012, 12:42 AM

2003s55amg
to 503c43 ,sounds like we purchased the same car,