OBX headers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by yamadjs08
Such instant negativity for no reason...

Just because its a Mercedes Benz doesn't mean you must have the most expensive parts.

While OBX is a knock-off brand of headers, they are usually very good quality for the money. Yes someone, somewhere received a poor example, but for the majority, they are pretty well made.

OBX usually copies some of the best designed headers made for a particular model. While that is kind of a greasy thing to do, replicate a design that some other company spent countless hours and dollars creating. But still, it provides us with an affordable, well designed header.

Just because they are cheap doesn't mean they won't make power. Surely they will make more power than stock, it shouldn't take much to make more power than the stock headers. It might not be as high of gains as the kleemann headers, but at a fraction of the cost, you can't go wrong. Even if you gained 2hp, for the money, one couldn't complain.

You can get your headers ceramic coated at any local powder coating shop for much cheaper than $350, and it will provide similar gains as the "Swain" coating.
The cost of the headers had nothing to do with me questioning if they would make more power, the fact that they look like stock C43 headers but shiny has me questioning...
Old 10-28-2011, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yamadjs08
Such instant negativity for no reason...

Just because its a Mercedes Benz doesn't mean you must have the most expensive parts.

While OBX is a knock-off brand of headers, they are usually very good quality for the money. Yes someone, somewhere received a poor example, but for the majority, they are pretty well made.

OBX usually copies some of the best designed headers made for a particular model. While that is kind of a greasy thing to do, replicate a design that some other company spent countless hours and dollars creating. But still, it provides us with an affordable, well designed header.

Just because they are cheap doesn't mean they won't make power. Surely they will make more power than stock, it shouldn't take much to make more power than the stock headers. It might not be as high of gains as the kleemann headers, but at a fraction of the cost, you can't go wrong. Even if you gained 2hp, for the money, one couldn't complain.
Instant negativity because of their reputation, not for no reason. Google "OBX headers crack" and you've got yourself quite a few pages of issues with them. In comparison, "Kleeman headers crack" only has a handful of threads. AKA You get what you pay for.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
So much sweet talking around here on Kleeman headers. Anybody have some pics on the ones that fit a c43?
https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...-w208-55s.html

Last edited by suicidal4life; 10-28-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500hp+ IS300
Originally Posted by thepinoc
Instant negativity because of their reputation, not for no reason. Google "OBX headers crack" and you've got yourself quite a few pages of issues with them. In comparison, "Kleeman headers crack" only has a handful of threads. AKA You get what you pay for.
Like I said, there is always a few bad ones out of the batch, but the majority of OBX headers are just fine. I speak from street experience, not from online research. I've seen these headers on many cars for years without issues...

The fact that there is even a handful of threads about cracked Kleemann headers disgusts me, for that kind of money, there shouldn't even be a chance of it cracking.

Agreed though, you do get what you pay for, but in some instances paying more doesn't always mean better...
Old 10-29-2011, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by suicidal4life
Nice and very interesting threat Hadn't found it b4
Old 10-29-2011, 12:49 PM

2004 Chrysler Crossfire
I haven't installed them yet. But here are some more observations. They are more than shinny C43 stock manifolds. These are very similar to VRP. I belive these would be less restrictive than my stock C43 manifolds on my car. The primary tubes are slightly larger than stock and swept back to the collector pipe but not quite as large as the VRP. The collector pipe is a bunch larger than the stock collector pipe but still a bit smaller than the VRP. One thing I don't like is the size of the exit. It is the same size as stock at 1.75" which seems like a cork in the system. There is a lot of material here and I am going to open this up to 2.0" which matches the VRP header. The mounting surface has very slight uneven spots from grinnding and polishing. I not sure the stock metal gaskets will seal properly. The OBX headers come with traditional exhaust gaskets that whould seal them fine. When I take these to my machinist to open the exits up I am going to see if they can surface the mounting flange so that i can feel comforable about using the MB exhaust gaskets. If this is not possible I will use the OBX gaskets. I do believe that these will flow better than stock but they are obviously these and the VRP headers are not real headers that have a scavenging effect at the collector. If you want real signifiant gains, you need Kleeman long tube headers. I was talking to Brandon at Kleeman and they are planning on putting the C43 header back into production. I think with just a liittle bit of work, the OBX headers are good bang for the buck. I think for real gains with the OBX you also have to address the head pipes. My plan is to try the OBX and go full cat delete. I have spacers for the down stream O2 sensors that fool the sensors into thinking the cats are working and will not result in a CEL. I did a baseline dyno and will dyno agian after install.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:18 AM

c43
sup man u still got those headers lmk might wana get em off u plus another thing or two u had on ur 43 ...u know me btw...bumperless black top 43
Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
Originally Posted by LantanaML320
I haven't installed them yet. But here are some more observations. They are more than shinny C43 stock manifolds. These are very similar to VRP. I belive these would be less restrictive than my stock C43 manifolds on my car. The primary tubes are slightly larger than stock and swept back to the collector pipe but not quite as large as the VRP. The collector pipe is a bunch larger than the stock collector pipe but still a bit smaller than the VRP. One thing I don't like is the size of the exit. It is the same size as stock at 1.75" which seems like a cork in the system. There is a lot of material here and I am going to open this up to 2.0" which matches the VRP header. The mounting surface has very slight uneven spots from grinnding and polishing. I not sure the stock metal gaskets will seal properly. The OBX headers come with traditional exhaust gaskets that whould seal them fine. When I take these to my machinist to open the exits up I am going to see if they can surface the mounting flange so that i can feel comforable about using the MB exhaust gaskets. If this is not possible I will use the OBX gaskets. I do believe that these will flow better than stock but they are obviously these and the VRP headers are not real headers that have a scavenging effect at the collector. If you want real signifiant gains, you need Kleeman long tube headers. I was talking to Brandon at Kleeman and they are planning on putting the C43 header back into production. I think with just a liittle bit of work, the OBX headers are good bang for the buck. I think for real gains with the OBX you also have to address the head pipes. My plan is to try the OBX and go full cat delete. I have spacers for the down stream O2 sensors that fool the sensors into thinking the cats are working and will not result in a CEL. I did a baseline dyno and will dyno agian after install.
Did you ever install these?