C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Prospective new C43 owner...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus IS300
Prospective new C43 owner...

I have come across a '99 C43 AMG black/black with 113k miles for what I think is a very good price - got the guy down to $6,000. He is the second owner and has had it since he bought it from the dealer at 4k miles. Have not seen them yet, but apparently has good service documentation and has replaced the tranny and AC a year or so ago. Car was also re-painted as it was keyed, but I am assured no accidents (which I will verify when I run the carfax just before purchase). I currently have an '02 IS300 and would like to get the C43 as my daily driver, but may hang on the the IS until I am confident the Benz wont leave me stranded, as I need my car everyday for work. I have done all the searches for reliability, tranny issues, daily driving etc. and just wanted some feedback before the purchase. I have driven one before and know I wont be disappointed with the car, but at the same time cannot be sinking endless $$$ into the new car. If the C43 is solid and I am confident with it as my daily driver, I should end up making money as my IS300 books for about $8-8500. Any reputable aftermarket warranties anyone would recommend? I got a quote from CarChex, but they want almost what I'd be paying for the car for a 3-4 year warranty! Id be happy to spend $1500 for piece of mind, but not 3-4 times that! Final thought is if I pick the car up and it does begin to give me issues I can likely make it presentable and sell to Carmax without taking much if any of a loss as trade-in is $7400. BTW my daily commute is 20 miles round trip give or take and I put less than 12k miles on my car a year. Thoughts?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
$6k BUY IT NOW!!!!
As far as I am concerned the C43 is one of the best deals out there thanks to depreciation. You get SOOOO much car for $6k-$10k. The C43 was just under $60k brand new and to pick it up for 1/10 of the original price is just a STEAL.

If the tranny has been replaced and the service has been kept up with then you have nothing to worry about. Bought mine a little over 1.5 years ago and have had 0 issues so far (knock on wood). I use mine as a daily driver for now and drive about the same as you (14,000 miles in 17 months)
Old 09-08-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup
Originally Posted by cujo844
I have come across a '99 C43 AMG black/black with 113k miles for what I think is a very good price - got the guy down to $6,000. He is the second owner and has had it since he bought it from the dealer at 4k miles. Have not seen them yet, but apparently has good service documentation and has replaced the tranny and AC a year or so ago. Car was also re-painted as it was keyed, but I am assured no accidents (which I will verify when I run the carfax just before purchase). I currently have an '02 IS300 and would like to get the C43 as my daily driver, but may hang on the the IS until I am confident the Benz wont leave me stranded, as I need my car everyday for work. I have done all the searches for reliability, tranny issues, daily driving etc. and just wanted some feedback before the purchase. I have driven one before and know I wont be disappointed with the car, but at the same time cannot be sinking endless $$$ into the new car. If the C43 is solid and I am confident with it as my daily driver, I should end up making money as my IS300 books for about $8-8500. Any reputable aftermarket warranties anyone would recommend? I got a quote from CarChex, but they want almost what I'd be paying for the car for a 3-4 year warranty! Id be happy to spend $1500 for piece of mind, but not 3-4 times that! Final thought is if I pick the car up and it does begin to give me issues I can likely make it presentable and sell to Carmax without taking much if any of a loss as trade-in is $7400. BTW my daily commute is 20 miles round trip give or take and I put less than 12k miles on my car a year. Thoughts?
Yes it is true these cars at that price are a steal with low mileage for a 12 yr old car.But once again it is a 12yr old car and you will sink money into regardless of the maintenance records.My 99 is blk/blk two tone with 138k on it now and i had purchased from org owner who also repalced the tranny.It runs flawlessly but have put 2k into it over 2 years so far.Little things such as shocks,tires,maf tune up etc.....Nothing out of the ordinary but remember it is a 12yr old german car.Parts are pricey look for a GOOD independant shop to do your maintenance.That should keep it resonable.With all that said they are great cars durable,reliable and solid.Much more than your IS!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
I've got mine just under 2 years now and have clocked around 23,000 km during that time. ZERO issues apart from the CPS dying 5 days after I purchased it. Coming up to some maintenance now which I am doing myself, i.e. rotors and pads all around. The OE rotors are VERY expensive, but if you shop around you can find some cheaper solutions or convert to C32 brakes.
Otherwise, it is a great car which is a real sleeper and consumption is reasonable on long distances. I don't recommended too much city driving, as I feel the car is so much better using its "lungs"
Old 09-09-2011, 04:30 PM

2000 C43 Wagon
If the car is as you describe, it sounds like a good deal. C43's thrive on regular use. I bought mine with 114K miles and used it every day for 2 years for a 30 mile round trip. After 2 years in storage, the car's done about 500 miles per week on a a weekly commute.....Zero issues.

It only let me down a week or 2 ago when the belt tensioner failed at 141K miles - straightforward, not-too-expensive DIY repair and could have been avoided! Still love it!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Lexus IS300
Thanks for the info everyone, it is reassuring. Is DIY maintenance fairly easy on the C43? I have worked on my own cars frequently and have no problems doing brakes, shocks, oil changes, serpentine belt etc. I did just pay a shop to do my timing belt and water pump on the IS300 since it is a fairly critical item, but I would like to be able to take care of the routine items on the C43 myself.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Routine work can be done no problem, if you have already done some maintenance on other vehicles. One advantage is no timing belt or chain to change on a regular basis. The chain driving the cams etc. lasts as long as the engine (normally). The C43 likes a good quality oil and as AMG recommends Mobile1 0/40 fully synthetic it is better to use that one only. I buy it by the barrel (20ltrs) and it costs the same as an "average" oil per/ltr.
The right ATF oil is also important, so check the correct MB ATF specs for the box or buy it direct from the dealer. Enjoy the car, cherish the car and it will reward you every time you drive it
Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Routine work can be done no problem, if you have already done some maintenance on other vehicles. One advantage is no timing belt or chain to change on a regular basis. The chain driving the cams etc. lasts as long as the engine (normally). The C43 likes a good quality oil and as AMG recommends Mobile1 0/40 fully synthetic it is better to use that one only. I buy it by the barrel (20ltrs) and it costs the same as an "average" oil per/ltr.
The right ATF oil is also important, so check the correct MB ATF specs for the box or buy it direct from the dealer. Enjoy the car, cherish the car and it will reward you every time you drive it

like getting wet in the shorts huh?
Old 09-13-2011, 01:37 PM

Lexus IS300
Any other input/advice? The more the better...im waiting for the seller to send me the service records and everything looks ok I will likely be picking the car up this weekend. Seems like the front brakes are expensive to replace with OEM parts. Ebay seems to have decently priced Brembo OE replacement blank rotors. Are these any good or does everyone recommend full OEM?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:19 PM

2000 C43 Wagon
From what I've seen, it's best to stick with Genuine MB. I know that the replacement items are not always what they might seem. Remember that the discs are handed!!!! They aren't cheap but mine are still going strong at 141K mostly motorway driving.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM

Lexus IS300
Quick update...car was serviced at MB dealership for first 5 years of ownership after buying it from the dealer with 4k miles. MB will not give me the records as I am not the owner and the guy is not able to get to the dealer for them to print them out. I believe dealer service will shop up on the Carfax though. I also have records from his independent shop back to 2007, which include a lot of small routine items, but also installation of lower mileage used tranny, AC condensor, wiper motor, shocks, front ball joints and crank shaft position sensor. These all seem to be the typcial items on these cars, which makes me feel good they have been replaced in the last few years. I think I am ready to pull the trigger. Any last thoughts before I go to pick it up tomorrow? Anything to look/listen for when test driving?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by cujo844
Quick update...car was serviced at MB dealership for first 5 years of ownership after buying it from the dealer with 4k miles. MB will not give me the records as I am not the owner and the guy is not able to get to the dealer for them to print them out. I believe dealer service will shop up on the Carfax though. I also have records from his independent shop back to 2007, which include a lot of small routine items, but also installation of lower mileage used tranny, AC condensor, wiper motor, shocks, front ball joints and crank shaft position sensor. These all seem to be the typcial items on these cars, which makes me feel good they have been replaced in the last few years. I think I am ready to pull the trigger. Any last thoughts before I go to pick it up tomorrow? Anything to look/listen for when test driving?
I would check the operation of the mono-wiper....it may sound silly but if the arm hasn't been lubricated in a while and binds up you could end up with a P.I.T.A. problem of replacing the wiper motor.Check both side miirors - if they are turning a "golden brown" then the oil is leaking out of them and will have to be replaced.Ask the owner how much gas is in the vehicle BEFORE you put the key in - W202's have been known to have faulty sending units in the gas tank.The gauge may say 1/4 tank when in fact its full.Find out if the harmonic balanceer recall was done on the vehicle - if not - take to a $tealership and have it done ....its free. As far as the front rotors , I have Disc Italias on mine - cross drilled and slotted.I recently purchased a new set for like $450.00 and sent them off for cryo treatment.Good luck with your potential new purchase.

Last edited by C43AMG; 09-16-2011 at 01:13 PM.