C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

My Benz got STOLEN.... Help???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 349 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Congrat.,Man..., you have to check your bride from A to Z,, keep inform us, you can almost close your eyes nightly........

ZAYED,,
Old 11-13-2011, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Lightbulb Being a New Yorker on the left coast, maybe I'm just suspicious of everyone

You're waiting until Monday to pick up the car? That wouldn't be my approach. You do know you're on the hook for towing and storage, right? Was it ticketed? I think you'll have to pay that too. You would in Cali. Fortunately it was stolen, because if the impound guys remove a few bits and sell them on e-bag it's the same insurance claim. I would have it towed to MB of Manhattan as soon as they'll take it. MB of Manhattan will be happy to tell your insurance that the car is jacked, and it's going to take some coinage to get it right. After you pay your deductable, the rest on on you insurance company, so you may as well get it right. MB of Manhattan is the only US dealership owned by MBUSA, so they'll give you the white glove/full price treatment. For starters, your missing key is a couple of hundred. Plus you need the old key turned off. Then you can ask what they recommend be done about the lock on the trunk that someone now has a mechanical key for. And the door. Ask them to check whether the spare is still there. Who would steal a spare? The impound guys (who'll have an extra day to "sort things out" if you leave it there until monday) might. MB of Manhattan will make sure you're whole - the tire, wheel, jack, took kit, reflective triangle, everything. You may want to check whether they stole the medical box on the rear shelf. C43s have one of those, right?

If you own the car you have the title. Title hasn't changed, so no one can modify it unless you hand it to them.

Lastly, they stole your keys, right? And the registration, was that in the glovebox? Uh, putting one and one together, does that mean they now have your house keys and your address?
Old 11-13-2011, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C43(gone, will be missed), Current car = CES Stage 2 Turbo M3
Sucks that this happened to you. Glad the car was found though. I would not be waiting to get the car as MarcusF said impound guys will get things in order. Whatever you happen to notice missing will just be them telling you the thieves must have stole it.

Hopefully on the other side of things you learned to not leave the keys in the car. I could swear that it charges without the ignition on, been a bit. At least that is how it is in my M now. I will say one thing though I am a little disappointed to see that you profiled people with no poof. Just because and you put it "had that gangster look". Either way I hope things turn out ok.

I know if someone had jacked my turbo M3 I would hunt them down. Then i would go over the car with such a fine tooth comb. To make sure that even the piece of dirt i may have had in there before it was stolen was in the right place.

Last edited by C43silver; 11-13-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:43 AM

09 C300 4matic
Just came back from NY PD and picked up few papers. Not much info from clerk that was there , basically i will go to Bronx to take a look at the car and go from there. Dont plan taking a car until is checked by dealer, since it was not in my possession for 3 days. There was no key found , that will complicate things. I know who ever stole it now knows my home address, and has key from the car. And just to comment "C43Silver" , i am not profiling anyone , i only tried to come up with something from the whole situation. If sounded like profiling , then i am sorry but also understand that until this happens to someone its kind of hard to figure out what to do or how to react at that time. But again its all good. Hopefully with fingerprints or cameras around they will get him. Now i just want to get this correct and not have my car ruined by tow company , since in the Bronx i know they "dont giva a flying f... if they bring your car in pieces. Had a repo once and they screwed up the car while dragging it to the pound.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
Great that it has been found, after al this bs is over start fixing your car. Make it like brend new Hope they never steal my c36
Old 11-13-2011, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Its really not all bad news. If the head unit is gone, insurance will pay to replace the MB unit. I just checked. A 1999 C-Class OE HU retails for $1700. The CD changer is another $800. It may be time for an upgrade.

If the lower valance/nose was scuffed while towing, or the fogs were damaged, that's all a result of the theft. I wouldn't try to get any old damage addressed, but the new stuff is on your insurers nickle.

As for fingerprints and the city cameras, unless your last name is Bloomberg, I'll be surprised if NY's finest printed your car or looked at any film.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Its really not all bad news. If the head unit is gone, insurance will pay to replace the MB unit. I just checked. A 1999 C-Class OE HU retails for $1700. The CD changer is another $800. It may be time for an upgrade.

If the lower valance/nose was scuffed while towing, or the fogs were damaged, that's all a result of the theft. I wouldn't try to get any old damage addressed, but the new stuff is on your insurers nickle.

As for fingerprints and the city cameras, unless your last name is Bloomberg, I'll be surprised if NY's finest printed your car or looked at any film.
Where did you get this info??
Old 11-13-2011, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
Where did you get this info??
Mercedes-Benz of Medford Oregon - DBA MBZ Wholesale Parts.

Here's the link. $1690 for the HU and I made a mistake on the CD changer. Retail for that is $1K, but being nice guys, they'll discount it down to $800.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Originally Posted by sweet jones
sorry to hear but leaving your key in the ignition is just asking for it. trust no one. i hope you get your car back in one piece.

sorry to hear your car got jacked, but nowadays, better to wait to charge the phone.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:35 PM

09 C300 4matic
Today i went to Bronx impound and found my baby sitting in dust , looking sad. Car has no body damage, only front bumper was loose on the right side. Inside was pretty dirty , lot of weed and drug smell. They took Ipod , phone and few items. Front seats were pulled to the front and switch does not work, so seats couldn't be adjusted. Opened the hood and found intake loose , i think that motor mount were done. They had fun speeding. License plate was missing with the Ez pass and registration and insurance card had been taken. I didn't want to drive the car considering that car had police sticker on and missing license plate. Getting pulled over would be trouble asking for it. So i had Benz towed to MB dealership for full inspection and repair , pending adjuster approval. So we ll see what happens in next few days.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CT320
Today i went to Bronx impound and found my baby sitting in dust , looking sad. Car has no body damage, only front bumper was loose on the right side. Inside was pretty dirty , lot of weed and drug smell. They took Ipod , phone and few items. Front seats were pulled to the front and switch does not work, so seats couldn't be adjusted. Opened the hood and found intake loose , i think that motor mount were done. They had fun speeding. License plate was missing with the Ez pass and registration and insurance card had been taken. I didn't want to drive the car considering that car had police sticker on and missing license plate. Getting pulled over would be trouble asking for it. So i had Benz towed to MB dealership for full inspection and repair , pending adjuster approval. So we ll see what happens in next few days.

I hope Cheech & Chong didn't kidnap your car joyriding it when you write it has some funky weird weed smell inside the cabin.
I hope you get your car fixed

your insurance company are they going to get you a higher deductable rate for being negligent leaving your keyes in the car?
insurance company might be strickt about leaving keyes in the ignition?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Make sure the VIN PLAQUE is still ATTACHED TO THE DASH!

With your registration and the plaque it may be possible to "legalize" another similar car. If it is missing notify the police and the insurance company, and do not take possession of the car.

I'm glad you got the car back, now don't do that again.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 218 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Guess u are not at the end of your worries. Keep up the spirits
Old 11-15-2011, 07:54 PM

09 C300 4matic
OK , i was at the dealer today and they run some tests. First insurance was wondering why i didnt drive car home , even car was missing license plate , registration and insurance card. I told them it was not legal and i didnt want to drive the car since car was not in my possession. Test shows ECU plate , Engine mounts (2 ) , transmission mount , seat relays on both seats for now and they still have to check tranny after they do all this. So as soon i have full estimate tomorrow i will have insurance send adjuster. I am glad i did not touch the car while it was in impound, then they would claim it was my fault.
Any idea what this my cost including Benz service rate ?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 218 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
I imagine that your in for a cost with at least 3 zeros on the end. Hope the auto box was not thrashed by those bxxxds
Old 11-19-2011, 03:18 PM

09 C300 4matic
On top of Engine and Trans mounts , ETC control unit they also found few other issues which i was not aware. Now adjuster is coming Monday or Tuesday and they will go through defects with Benz mechanic. They will try to claim that this is because of age and mileage of the car at least for most of the issues. Bill is $5G plus. I do have receipts for all repairs that car had in last year , showing that car was maintained properly. I don't mind keeping the car but i want repairs done. Or will they consider loss ?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by CT320
On top of Engine and Trans mounts , ETC control unit they also found few other issues which i was not aware. Now adjuster is coming Monday or Tuesday and they will go through defects with Benz mechanic. They will try to claim that this is because of age and mileage of the car at least for most of the issues. Bill is $5G plus. I do have receipts for all repairs that car had in last year , showing that car was maintained properly. I don't mind keeping the car but i want repairs done. Or will they consider loss ?
Sounds like they just took it for a joy ride. Your insurance company will not consider the car a total loss as the cost to repair is way below the 80% benchmark most of them use to total a car out. If they destroyed the engine and tranny mount i'd be worried about other stuff. At a minimum I'd ask for a compression and leak down test. Have the U joints inspected for excess play. Also have the engine oil, tranny fluild and rear end fluids sent out for analysis. Just looking at the tranny fluid may show it's brown (ie overheated) and full of wear material (hard abusive shifts). If you have a good relationship with your service manager he should go to bat for you and tell the insurance adjuster this kind of wear, tear, and breakage doesn't occur on a properly maintain car with this many miles on it. I don't know if this will show up anywhere as a stolen vehicle but if you sell it and do not disclose it was stolen, you may expose yourself to some legal problems. You can't go after your own insurance company for diminishment of value. If the car is still under warranty, you can get the extended MBZ factory warranty prior to the expiration of the original warranty depending on were you live. I'd consider this for both piece of mind and resale.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
Sounds like they just took it for a joy ride. Your insurance company will not consider the car a total loss as the cost to repair is way below the 80% benchmark most of them use to total a car out. If they destroyed the engine and tranny mount i'd be worried about other stuff. At a minimum I'd ask for a compression and leak down test. Have the U joints inspected for excess play. Also have the engine oil, tranny fluild and rear end fluids sent out for analysis. Just looking at the tranny fluid may show it's brown (ie overheated) and full of wear material (hard abusive shifts). If you have a good relationship with your service manager he should go to bat for you and tell the insurance adjuster this kind of wear, tear, and breakage doesn't occur on a properly maintain car with this many miles on it. I don't know if this will show up anywhere as a stolen vehicle but if you sell it and do not disclose it was stolen, you may expose yourself to some legal problems. You can't go after your own insurance company for diminishment of value. If the car is still under warranty, you can get the extended MBZ factory warranty prior to the expiration of the original warranty depending on were you live. I'd consider this for both piece of mind and resale.
a 1999 C43 still under warranty, that would have to be the greatest warranty ever offered
Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
a 1999 C43 still under warranty, that would have to be the greatest warranty ever offered
My bad, forgot I was on the C43 board.