C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Are the Brakes for the 95 C36 Critical to stay OEM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1991 300sl 5 speed manual
Are the Brakes for the 95 C36 Critical to stay OEM?

I am hearing a lot of folks say order after market brakes and rotors but The benz folks want to sell you the Stuff from the stealership. I have the 95 model and I know that they are the same rotors from the 600 sl but I just get confused what the best route is for replacement. Rock auto is confusing. There are dozens of sights to find these but its just confusing. I want strong breaks not cheap ones and good pads that dont make a crapload of dust... Oh and if its not to much to ask can we get this wholesale and not get ripped off??
Old 12-11-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Good luck with those requests! hehe.

I have yet to find low dust pads for these brakes. I had akebonos on for a while, they were pretty good with dust, but weren't the correct fitment, and went on top of the inner edge of my rotor, grooving up the pad nicely and wearing my rotor down like mad. I just stick with Pagid now. Dust is pretty terrible, but they're pretty good performance wise and fit correctly.

Rotors I have no idea. OEM isn't terribly expensive (compared to our c43 comrades at least) but is quite painful compared to the 96' and 97' guys. I've been looking at FrozenRoters products, but I don't know if they will actually fit, and they only have fancy (drilled, slotted) options for the rear. Many suppliers don't seem to realize the brakes changed between the 95 and 96-97 years, so there's no guarantee on fitment until you actually try the part.

I have even heard our years brakes were specially designed by Porsche.... ??
Let me know if you find anything solid
Old 12-12-2011, 03:37 AM

my mechanic sais the rotors on the 95 are even unidirectional and recomends spending the money at the steelership. I found soo many choices that it is confusing... I really want advice from folks like yourself with some experience with aftermarket VS stock...
Old 12-12-2011, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
So, like for C43 rotors they are also unidirectional and have specific identification # left and right. Obviously designed for a purpose, so I would also recommend OE parts. Cost more but you can rest assured there will be no problems
Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM

True. I believe this is due to the direction of the fins inside the rotor that make it vented. Just a little quip from a generic brakes site, if there is a cheaper, but true-fit option, the fins will be less and not as specifically placed. I don't believe your tracking the car so that little difference in cooling shouldn't matter, but just little things like that are what defines the OEM quality vs the posers
Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
95 C36
I went through this headache and am more than happy to pass along what I learned.

My car is a 95 C36, apparently 95s are the only year that have specific front rotors, MB used modified R129 SL600 rotors (the hub being a bit different), and because of this you cannot use SL600 rotors. There are no aftermarket front rotors for 95s to my knowledge. The rear rotors are W124 E420 rotors. The front rotors will cost you, the rears are reasonable. I bought all 4 rotors from parts.com, the MB dealership they use is in my town.

Unfortunately I don't have the part numbers on me for the front rotors, I know I have a receipt somewhere, but can't find it. The part numbers start with "HWA" which I believe are AMG part numbers.

Just call MB of Naperville and speak to Jeff, or anyone else there, all really helpful people. Explain that you are a parts.com customer and need the part numbers to the rotors so you can order online. They will not give you the part number otherwise, thinking that you are a local customer.

Rear rotor part #: 124423081264
(non-directional/not side specific like the fronts)

Now for the pads which were a huge headache:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...ber-error.html

Cliffnotes from the link above, I went with Akebono because I've had great luck with them in the past with my other cars, great low dust pads. However.....every parts source that carries them lists the wrong Akebono part number for the C36 (just checked RockAuto and looks like they've corrected this, I'm guessing the OP from the link above called Akebono and they updated the part numbers). I would've went OEM had I known I had to return the pads, front and back. But since myself and others went through this mess, you don't have to, I recommend doing a search next time jk

Akebono part numbers for the C36:

Front - EUR561
Rear - EUR495

I bought these on Amazon.

Hope this helps
Old 12-25-2011, 10:24 PM

very Helpfull. I am thinking of going to the Steelership... It doesnt seem there is much choice.. Cant find a mechanic willing to touch the car unless its like that.... I have plenty of unique cars in my collection but this is the single most frustrating excersise in parts ordering in my 200 car collection 20 years experience... It should be simple to order brakes for this car but it takes way too much brain power....

example. Rock auto has 23 different rotor options/very few front rotors to choose from. 62 different brake pad options and configurations. THe Local parts places claim to be able to help but ask if you have a dual clip or a single clip style pad. And to top it off none of these will tell you what pad works best with what rotor. I really want in a perfect world is this.

Someone please fill in the blanks..

Best rotor for the money And a link to buy it
Best pads that have little or no dust and dont squeele and a link to buy them
OK Rant over...

And thanks Rock auto for giving me a headache.. Its funny everyone is saying there are limited choices for this 95 year amg but seems there are too many choices..
Old 12-26-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
95 C36
Originally Posted by jjay911
very Helpfull. I am thinking of going to the Steelership... It doesnt seem there is much choice.. Cant find a mechanic willing to touch the car unless its like that.... I have plenty of unique cars in my collection but this is the single most frustrating excersise in parts ordering in my 200 car collection 20 years experience... It should be simple to order brakes for this car but it takes way too much brain power....

example. Rock auto has 23 different rotor options/very few front rotors to choose from. 62 different brake pad options and configurations. THe Local parts places claim to be able to help but ask if you have a dual clip or a single clip style pad. And to top it off none of these will tell you what pad works best with what rotor. I really want in a perfect world is this.

Someone please fill in the blanks..

Best rotor for the money And a link to buy it
Best pads that have little or no dust and dont squeele and a link to buy them
OK Rant over...

And thanks Rock auto for giving me a headache.. Its funny everyone is saying there are limited choices for this 95 year amg but seems there are too many choices..
Parts.com is the stealership, but with much better prices

Read my previous post again and make it much easier on yourself, trust me, it is a headache and because of the specific rotors for the 95, you want to go with OEM rotors for at least the front. Rears you could go aftermarket, but from Parts.com the prices for the pair are reasonable....
Old 12-26-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by FCSmthree
trust me, it is a headache and because of the specific rotors for the 95, you want to go with OEM rotors for at least the front.
+1

There may be lots of choices, but I'm sure barely any of them will actually fit.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanks guys.. I am working on this... JJ