C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Gas Needle/Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
Gas Needle/Brakes

Hello... I have two topics, but don't want to make two new threads...

1. I have this problem with my gas tank and the needle. I have learned to deal with it, but I want to know if this is a common problem, or even just common.
What happens, is that when I fill up the tank, the needle will not work. It does not register. It says it's an empty tank. At about 50 miles into the tank, it pops back up, and works fine from there... I don't know what to do... I know that if the needle says E, I really do have gas, so I don't get scared, but what a wierd problem this is...
Also, today I was at 3/4 tank... The needle was working... But when I filled up, it took almost 8 gallons. We have 16 gallon tanks, so that means that the 3/4 mark really represents 1/2 tank...

Does anybody else know where I'm coming from???

2. I have a problem with my brake lines, or maybe the actual brakes. When I go to push the peddle, the first inch or so, is dead. The space is inactive, and the car does not slow down. I have not tested, but I bet the lights will still come on in that space... But after that inch - BAM! The Brakes are tight as ever and the response is great. It's just the first inch or so of the brake peddle-push that does nothing.
I have had the lines bled, so I know there is no air in them, but I can not think of what the problem could be... Has anybody had this problem? Perhaps it's a master cylinder inside one of the calipers that is dead... Who knows...

Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:31 AM

C43 AMG
The fuel level sensors are bad. It's a very common W202 problem. I just replaced the sensors a month ago as well.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
1) yes...i've had it replaced twice...one just this past month

2) yes...it's a little soft...but it stops alright nevertheless...
Old 07-10-2003, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
I have the same problem with the brakes on my car as well. The first inch or so is no response, but the lights do come on...there's a sensor I believe that once u tap on the brakes, the lights come on no matter what. Then, after that first inch or so, it starts to slow down.

I bought it into the dealer and they flushed and bled the system in hopes that would be the issue, but they found out it was my brake master cylinder starting to wear out over time (MY 94 with 127k miles) and it is fine for now, but later, it may just go. They said you cannot tell when it's gonna go, but when it goes, it takes a lot of pressure to stop the car. I was quoted about $680 for the job, parts and labor.

So my guess with your brakes if you've already had it flushed and bled, then it is probably your master brake cylinder.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Can't the pedal throw be adjusted? I had this done on an American car by simply extending the adjustable rod from the pedal to the master cylinder.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
1) yes, common problem with the fuel senders. You can clean them, however... two ways. One is to remove them and clean them. The other is to top off the tank, drive it to empty, top it off, drive to empty, and do this a few times in a short period of time (a couple days... lots of driving). Worked for me.

2) Every C43 I have ever driven (probably around 25-30) has this problem with the brakes. I purchased a new master cylinder because I believe this is one part of the problem. The other part is that the calipers are the same ones on the E50. Now, my theory is this: the E55/CLK55/SLK32 received an updated design to the calipers. The newer design has round seals so not to pull the pistons back and pull the pads from the rotors. This is a common "trick" mechanics use to reduce excess pedal play.

Anyhow, i've yet to put the master cylinder in, but I think it was less than $250.

-s-
Old 07-12-2003, 11:10 AM

C43, NSX, F250 Diesel
Brake Pedal

Gents,
I have the same symptom and I cannot stand it.
Jumping back and forth to an Acura, with rock solid brakes, makes the problem that much more obvious. Bleeding the brakes seems to help some, but the problem does not go away.

Scorchie-Please pass along your experience with the master cylinder change. I have been loosing pedal pressure just enough to considering this option, but I want to make sure this will be effective before I buy more car parts.

Thanks,

croni
Old 07-12-2003, 12:56 PM

I have experienced the fuel level problems with my W202. The gas gauge said it was empty, so I took it to a gas station. I was standing there pumping gas into a car with a full tank. The gas was leaking out too! However, my car was in warranty, and got fixed. Good Luck!
Old 07-16-2003, 01:02 AM

1997 C36 AMG
Originally posted by scorchie
1) yes, common problem with the fuel senders. You can clean them, however... two ways. One is to remove them and clean them. The other is to top off the tank, drive it to empty, top it off, drive to empty, and do this a few times in a short period of time (a couple days... lots of driving). Worked for me.

2) Every C43 I have ever driven (probably around 25-30) has this problem with the brakes. I purchased a new master cylinder because I believe this is one part of the problem. The other part is that the calipers are the same ones on the E50. Now, my theory is this: the E55/CLK55/SLK32 received an updated design to the calipers. The newer design has round seals so not to pull the pistons back and pull the pads from the rotors. This is a common "trick" mechanics use to reduce excess pedal play.

Anyhow, i've yet to put the master cylinder in, but I think it was less than $250.

-s-
I also having the same problem with my C36..
The brake feel even worse especially after I drove E55 (W210) and CLK55 (W208) their brake feel is awesome, sharp and extra crispy

Dean,

do you feel any noticeable improvement after the new master cylinder in place..??

Or has anyone else has same problem and have the fix to this brake feels... please share the solution..

I know the C36's is smaller than C43, but I don't think it should to feel like this in the first place, especially for an AMG car..

the brake just suck..
even my other car (sold) E36 325i has much sharper feel on the brake feel..(touch a little and you can already feel the caliper grip the rotor.. )

Regardz,

Last edited by J Irwan; 07-16-2003 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As long as my brake lines come before Saturday, the new brake master cylinder (from CLK55) will go in on the 19th!

I'll keep you guys posted. It's a big day planned, trans service, brake flush, brake lines, master cylinder, etc. But the master cylinder is high on the list.

-s-
Old 07-19-2003, 03:22 PM

C43 AMG
Wow. Thank you, everyone for your quick, and informative responses!
I will be going on a roadtrip in about 2 weeks, so I will try that theory (fill, empty, fill empty) first, and if that doesn't cure it, I will get new sensors. On the brakes, I will give it time, and probably make the punch for a new master cylinder eventually.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As long as my brake lines come before Saturday, the new brake master cylinder (from CLK55) will go in on the 19th!

I'll keep you guys posted. It's a big day planned, trans service, brake flush, brake lines, master cylinder, etc. But the master cylinder is high on the list.

-s-
Brake lines didn't show up... most of the other services were performed, but no brake stuff... so I'll post the results when the master cylinder is installed.

-s-
Old 07-21-2003, 12:15 AM

1997 C36 AMG
Dean,

Do you know if I Can install CLK 55 master cylinder on my C36..??

I am just curious..?

Regardz,
Old 07-21-2003, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by J Irwan
Dean,

Do you know if I Can install CLK 55 master cylinder on my C36..??

I am just curious..?

Regardz,
I'm not sure... the C43 has mostly the same parts as CLK55... but the C36 master cylinder/booster looks quite a bit different. Actually, we are going to try to install C43/CLK55 master cylinder into a C280, so this should answer it... I will post how this works out.

-s-
Old 07-21-2003, 01:48 AM

1997 C36 AMG
I'm not sure... the C43 has mostly the same parts as CLK55... but the C36 master cylinder/booster looks quite a bit different. Actually, we are going to try to install C43/CLK55 master cylinder into a C280, so this should answer it... I will post how this works out.

-s-

Cool..

please keep me posted..

Regardz,
Old 07-28-2003, 02:35 AM
Almost a Member!

ya just recently, my gas needle did the same thing. Now about 100kms into the tank it reads the correct amount. Where is the sensor? how can I clean it?