SUSPENSION COMBO?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2006 E55 AMG/1996 C36 AMG/1999 C43/55 AMG
SUSPENSION COMBO?

Hey guys,

I am about to lower my C43 and wanted to know if anyone is running the Vogtland sport springs with Koni adjustables? I don't want a harsh, stiff ride as I want to improve handling, eliminate the huge wheel gap with no rubbing and without sacrificing too much ride quality. I only ask as I previously lowered a C230 Kompressor with the Vogtland/Koni setup and it dropped an inch lower than stated. I don't want to run into the same problem again.

Is it better to go with the Euro springs and Bilstein HD's with 19's or Vogtland and either Koni or Bilstein sports with 18's?

Any pics and advice would be greatly appreciated as well as what pad #'s you are using.

Thanks

Last edited by nkctb7; 06-07-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by nkctb7
Hey guys,

I am about to lower my C43 and wanted to know if anyone is running the Vogtland sport springs with Koni adjustables? I don't want a harsh, stiff ride as I want to improve handling, eliminate the huge wheel gap with no rubbing and without sacrificing too much ride quality. I only ask as I previously lowered a C230 Kompressor with the Vogtland/Koni setup and it dropped an inch lower than stated. I don't want to run into the same problem again.

Is it better to go with the Euro springs and Bilstein HD's with 19's or Vogtland and either Koni or Bilstein sports with 18's?

Any pics and advice would be greatly appreciated as well as what pad #'s you are using.

Thanks

I don't have Konis, I'm dropped on vogtlands with bilstein B8's and 19's. I have #5 pads in the front and #4 in the rear. I believe the Vogtland spring drop claim is based off of the euro spec springs as they are shorter. I am glad I used the largest spring pads possible as I noticed a larger drop than claimed as well. With the largest spring pads I dropped about 1".

The ride is FIRM to say the least but performance is way better than stock.

hope this helps
Old 06-07-2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
I don't have Konis, I'm dropped on vogtlands with bilstein B8's and 19's. I have #5 pads in the front and #4 in the rear. I believe the Vogtland spring drop claim is based off of the euro spec springs as they are shorter. I am glad I used the largest spring pads possible as I noticed a larger drop than claimed as well. With the largest spring pads I dropped about 1".

The ride is FIRM to say the least but performance is way better than stock.

hope this helps
Thanks for your input. When you say "FIRM", is the ride unbearable for backseat passengers? I was quite happy with the Vogtland/Koni setup with #1's all around as it was externally adjustable but even at the softest setting, it was a pretty firm ride. Also, was the camber really bad before you added the camber kits?

I am curious as to how the Vogtland/Bilstein HD's ride would be in comparison to the Koni's? Are the Koni's worth double the price over Bilstein's?

Cheers
Old 06-07-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I have cut stock springs and bilstein HD's that were already in there

rides a touch firmer than stock but still feels very very comfortable
Old 06-07-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Hey guys,

Thanks
I'm running the vogtlands and I love them. Great firmness and performance and it's not too harsh for me, or my parents when I drive them around.
I was definitely thinking about getting the Konis, as the adjustability would be nice, but as I'm not looking for too much performance for track work, and I'm young so by back is still good, I decided to get the billy sports. Just do the vogtlands again, but don't use #1 spring pads if you don't want it too low.

Also,
I don't want a harsh, stiff ride as I want to improve handling
and
Euro springs and Bilstein HD's with 19's or Vogtland and either Koni or Bilstein sports with 18's?
make it kind of unclear what your goal is. Stiffer ride = improved handling. And euro springs, HDs and 19s is all looks, and vogtland, billy sports/konis and 18"s (or better yet 17"s) are all about performance.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Thanks for your input. When you say "FIRM", is the ride unbearable for backseat passengers? I was quite happy with the Vogtland/Koni setup with #1's all around as it was externally adjustable but even at the softest setting, it was a pretty firm ride. Also, was the camber really bad before you added the camber kits?

I am curious as to how the Vogtland/Bilstein HD's ride would be in comparison to the Koni's? Are the Koni's worth double the price over Bilstein's?

Cheers
I haven't had anyone complain about the stiffness. My buddy has a stock 2006 Acura TL and the ride is almost as firm, I think if it was on 19's like me the ride might even be firmer than my C43.

I couldn't tell you about the camber before the kits as I had everything installed at the same time.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by nd4spd13
I'm running the vogtlands and I love them. Great firmness and performance and it's not too harsh for me, or my parents when I drive them around.
I was definitely thinking about getting the Konis, as the adjustability would be nice, but as I'm not looking for too much performance for track work, and I'm young so by back is still good, I decided to get the billy sports. Just do the vogtlands again, but don't use #1 spring pads if you don't want it too low.

Also, and make it kind of unclear what your goal is. Stiffer ride = improved handling. And euro springs, HDs and 19s is all looks, and vogtland, billy sports/konis and 18"s (or better yet 17"s) are all about performance.
I want to improve the handling and eliminate the wheel gaps without sacrificing the ride too much. I am aware that in oder to improve in those areas the ride will suffer but I don't want the car to feel like it's shaking apart whenever I run over the littlest road deficiencies. I also do not want to encounter any rubbing issues as my C43 is my daily driver. Is it mandatory to install camber kits or is the camber minimal if the largest pads are used?

I love the Vogtalnd springs as they will not sag like H&R's over time and are not super stiff like the Eibach's. I am definitely sticking with Vogtland without question.

In regards to the Koni's, I left them on the softest setting without ever changing them. I did like the fact that the option was there if need be but at over twice the price of Bilstein's, are they really worth it?

I also understand that the Bilstein sports are recommended over the HD's for lowering springs because of their reduced traveling rate.

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by nkctb7; 06-08-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 06-08-2012, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 220 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Do a search as this question is debated very often
Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Do a search as this question is debated very often
I have done an extensive search but noone has the setup that I'm enquiring about. That is why I asked as I don't want to end up with a very harsh ride. I would rather be safe than sorry.