C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Need Help from Car audiophiles!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynocomped C43K, 08 X5
Need Help from Car audiophiles!

I'm in the last step of modding the 43 which is hifi upgrade. I was into the car audio like 15 years ago and was into SQ. The 43 will be the firt car in almost 15years I'm doing anything to the stock audio. The mobile audio has changed quite a lot and I feel like a noob again (I was a noob but noober now).
So, here are my questions:
1. Does our 43 need whole a lot of sound deadening?
2. 2 way active with rear fill vs 3way active for the 43?
3. Sealed sub box mounted on the rear shelf and firing through the cabin or simple box in the trunk?
4. Do 6.5 mids really fit in the front door?
5. Anyone installed Dynaudio mids in the 43?

Please chime in and help me out! any input will help!!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:46 PM

1999 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Motorsport3
I'm in the last step of modding the 43 which is hifi upgrade. I was into the car audio like 15 years ago and was into SQ. The 43 will be the firt car in almost 15years I'm doing anything to the stock audio. The mobile audio has changed quite a lot and I feel like a noob again (I was a noob but noober now).
So, here are my questions:
1. Does our 43 need whole a lot of sound deadening?
2. 2 way active with rear fill vs 3way active for the 43?
3. Sealed sub box mounted on the rear shelf and firing through the cabin or simple box in the trunk?
4. Do 6.5 mids really fit in the front door?
5. Anyone installed Dynaudio mids in the 43?

Please chime in and help me out! any input will help!!
id be interested too as i will be changing out my audio
Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 C55 RENNtech
I already started this mod
1. Alpine 138 Bt
2. Morel Hybrid Ovation 11 5 1/4 FRONT /REAR
3. Morel Elate SW6 for the rear deck
4. Audison vrx 870 6 channel amp.

This is just a replacement for all the current speakers and amp the only thing I won't be using is a pair of the highs that comes as part of the hybrid ovation.
Also I will reuse all the factory wiring to the speakers from the factory amp to the speakers.
I will have to figure out all the wiring and use a new 4g to power the Audison
and also use 1 pair of rca wires for signal to the amp from the head unit for sub control.
There might be another way to do this with out running any wires from front to back for the rca signal wires .
If this sounds weird..... Think about this speaker wires are 4pairs front left front right rear left and rear right Ok. now those wires run from the back of the head unit to the amp.
Now trace those wires to the factory amp in the trunk and now add rca ends to four of those wires and you haven't even pulled and thing apart but the head unit and the trunk this far.
Now all the speaker wires run from the factor amp which is already in the trunk again unplug all the speaker wires from the factory amp an connect it to the new amp .
If you insist on having all separate for front and rear speakers you will need to run 1 pair of rca from from front to rear
I am going to use Y connectors to split the signals from the head unit because my amp has 6 inputs and the head unit also has 6 outputs.
This should be done in about 6hrs but the planning was about 1 month.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Originally Posted by winks911
1. Alpine 138 Bt

This is just a replacement for all the current speakers and amp the only thing I won't be using is a pair of the highs that comes as part of the hybrid ovation.
Also I will reuse all the factory wiring to the speakers from the factory amp to the speakers.
and also use 1 pair of rca wires for signal to the amp from the head unit for sub control.
There might be another way to do this with out running any wires from front to back for the rca signal wires .
If this sounds weird..... Think about this speaker wires are 4pairs front left front right rear left and rear right Ok. now those wires run from the back of the head unit to the amp.
Now trace those wires to the factory amp in the trunk and now add rca ends to four of those wires and you haven't even pulled and thing apart but the head unit and the trunk this far.
Now all the speaker wires run from the factor amp which is already in the trunk again unplug all the speaker wires from the factory amp an connect it to the new amp .
If you insist on having all separate for front and rear speakers you will need to run 1 pair of rca from from front to rear
I am going to use Y connectors to split the signals from the head unit because my amp has 6 inputs and the head unit also has 6 outputs.
You should be able to avoid the RCA cables by plugging directly into your amp from your speakers using the high level input. I have done it several times, I would be surprised if your amp doesn't have a high level input.

check this out:
http://75.125.115.114/car-audio-and-...el-inputs.html
Old 06-19-2012, 05:22 AM

2006 C55 RENNtech
Audison and most high end amp only use rca inputs.
if you are looking for sq.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 PM

Dynocomped C43K, 08 X5
1. Alpine 138 Bt

Your plan sounds interesting! let us know how it goes!
I've got all high end stuffs but I'm thinking of going 3way active front since I have p99rs. Is there any reason for using factory wiring? I'm asking because I rather use 14gauge wire for speakers and some good RCAs for amps. Have you fit your morel components in the doors yet?? I'm thinking of getting Dyn Esotec 3way for the front but I'm not fond of cutting and chopping the door pannels
Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 PM

Dynocomped C43K, 08 X5
Mr. Silence! come and help us!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:42 PM

2006 C55 RENNtech
I did some of these upgrades in my previous 1999 C43 and without ripping everything apart all fit and sounded well.
There is no substitute for power and just with upgrading the amp alone was amazing...Except in that car I used a Alpine 752T which was a 5 channel
I am keeping the factory wires because my speakers are 4 ohm and the factory Bose is 2 ohm so the factory wires are good for front and rear as for the 3 way ..You will need to drill another hole for the mid I don't want ti do this and the Morels are plenty for the front they just need lots of power.
I also like Focal but I started buying these Morels I figured with a good amp this should sound way better than Bose . I will use a spectrum analyzer before and after to see and hear the outcome. Remember I did this before so I have a pretty good idea how this is going to sound.
I use this car about 4 time a month in summer if I am lucky soI may not have enough seat time to want anything else.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 PM

Dynocomped C43K, 08 X5
I did some of these upgrades in my previous 1999 C43 and without ripping everything apart all fit and sounded well.
There is no substitute for power and just with upgrading the amp alone was amazing...Except in that car I used a Alpine 752T which was a 5 channel
I am keeping the factory wires because my speakers are 4 ohm and the factory Bose is 2 ohm so the factory wires are good for front and rear as for the 3 way ..You will need to drill another hole for the mid I don't want ti do this and the Morels are plenty for the front they just need lots of power.
I also like Focal but I started buying these Morels I figured with a good amp this should sound way better than Bose . I will use a spectrum analyzer before and after to see and hear the outcome. Remember I did this before so I have a pretty good idea how this is going to sound.
I use this car about 4 time a month in summer if I am lucky soI may not have enough seat time to want anything else.
I see! I have rainbow profi components for front and rear but I think I'm gonna get rid of those and go with dyn esotec. I'm planning to adjust the aiming of the mid range as well since I'm cutting holes on the door cards. When you had your previous set up, did you use any sound deadening materials at all?? I wanna keep my weight increase less than 50lb and doing the sound deadening is going to be impossible within that limitation. I might just fck the weight increase and go sound deadening ***** route because I have $1.5k worth of deadening material from second skin already lol. My plan is going 3 way active + substage using IB on the rear deck. Damn.. I hate bose..

Last edited by Motorsport3; 06-28-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
hey, I'm actually around right now!

I say it's all or nothing in these cars unless all you want to do is add a bit more bass.

I run a 2-way with Image dynamics 6.5" woofers in the doors and the pro level horns in the kickpanels- large speakers will fit with some modification.

These cars need surprisingly little sound deadening- I wouldn't waste too much time/effort on it. Just do the doors and under your feet up to the dash.

I do not run or recommend rear speakers, but some people prefer that sound. I never run rear speakers unless in a vehicle with 5.1 or other heavy processing.

I run 3 stereo integrity 10s in a sealed enclosure firing forward right behind the rear seats. I tried quite a few configurations and this one is great. My subs are not totally sealed off from the trunk.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:30 AM

2006 C55 RENNtech
Ok !
I agree with the sound deadening these cars actually have too much.
Image dynamics are great but I have passed that stage and they are great for being loud and image is great.
As for the rear speakers I put them in and use 80 htz down crossover so it is just for a low mid rear fill I am after sq and Morels do a goo job at that .
As for the weight morels have no magnets, Also I may do some kind of custom fibreglass enclosure for the fronts because the factory design is specifically for the bose and the way the sound travels if you want that front mid bass punch it won't happen with the factory bose box I also did sound and sound off comp
and also do installs for friends and work with a high end sound shop for competitions .I could get much better sound but I really am trying to keep things to a minimum.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:53 AM

Dynocomped C43K, 08 X5
I was looking for some SI BMs but they are hard to find and the mark up was insane on those subs, and I couldnt wait for the new ones
I think my 43's sound deadening on the floor is shot. I get way too much road noise into the cabin.
Yup I agree on the rear fill. I was gonna try the ambient rear fill, the L-R signal thing to widen the sound stage, but I never tried 3 way active front and I think I'll have more fun with it.
My concern on weight is beacuse i'll be doing esotar 1200 IB on the rear deck which will need some strengthneing and reconstruntion of the rear deck, and I'll be using 3 amps, audison lrx 1.1k 4.1k and nakamichi 4ch. I should just make a sealed box and fire it towards the seats or something if IB adds too much weight. You both are so lucky to have the skill to do custom audio work!!