My C43 need shocks: Where to get them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W202 AMG C43
My C43 need shocks: Where to get them?

Hi folks,

I would like to know if any of you know few sources to get quotes/shcoks for our C43's. I would like to stick with Bisltein Sport or Koni yellow.

Seems to me pretty hard to find these shocks for the C43 AMG, but are more common to list them for the 230K or regular W202 chasis, not even the C36 AMG.

I do remember some time ago searching for Koni shocks and found a thread that someone linked a shop that sell some stuff for our C43, then i emailed the guy and said he had special valved Koni for our C43's but I can't find that thread, nor the email he wrote me.

My C43 is a euro version, so it's already lowered comapred tot he US specs C43.

The only websites I found some info (not the info I wanted to read) are:

http://www.eshocks.com/bil_Ind.asp?V...ubChar=Q#thumb

http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxsho...ctsdisplay.php

And that's it. I sent email for oth parties and I'm still waiting a reply. Shox seems to sell a Koni "suspension kit", but I'm afraid that this kit does contain Koni springs which I'm not interested since I have already the lowered OEM springs and even if the rate is different, I don't want to change that, specially for the price.

Any other sources that any of you could led me know, I woudl really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Try looking under info for the CLK55 (w208 version if I'm not mistaken): The Bilstein's fit perfect
Old 01-08-2013, 04:14 AM

1999 MB C43 AMG
Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Try looking under info for the CLK55 (w208 version if I'm not mistaken): The Bilstein's fit perfect
+1 on this. I got Bilstein sport shocks from CLK55 (W208) and they fit perfectly. Very happy with ride comfort and height.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 AM

W202 AMG C43
Thanks guys. Nt sure why almost nobody show Bilstein for the C43 AMG. Anyways, I'm more convinced to go with Koni, but any of these should work very good at the end. At the end the Konis are expensier but as we know provide adjustable rebound which is great.

Decisions decision...
Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 PM

W202 AMG C43
Looking for the right info I came across that for our C36/C43 cars (also the regular Cl class (w202) would the following P/N of Koni work 8041-1315sport & 8041-1316sport

I started to search for these and found this site the cheapest and got this message from the guy at the shop, so I would order those anyways:

8041-1315sport 2-3 weeks backorder
8041-1316sport 2-4 weeks minimum special order

http://www.ajusa.com/KONI-Sport-Shoc...1f14q6413.html

Koni reference

http://www.koni.com/car-racing/finder/

Thoughts?

Last edited by AMGC43; 01-08-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spell
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
people say Koni's are stiff?
what kind of ride can you get with lowering springs?

perhaps famous MB cabin ride will transform into a stiff rattle box?

I might also be interested in getting Koni's when I have Vogtlands on my ride.
Koni's or genuine AMG/Bilstein shocks?
A/B shocks will cost more, no doubt.

there are good deals on Koni's on german webshops, less good deals from stealership for OEM shox.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM

W202 AMG C43
I had Koni yellow in my e30 turbo and they were fantastic, cant' say if they turned out stiffer slightly stiffer or about the same as stock ones because i changed the spring at the same time (Eibach pro Kit) but overall Koni are known to be a solid shock that could even last longer than Bilstein plus they are adjustable for the rebound which is great.

My C43 AMG is a euro version so it's lowered already. The car was bought with SACHS Contour (or something among those lines) black shock almost new for the front (I think these are the normal shock for the 280, etc) which were in perfect shape and for the rear still the black OEM MB Bisltein that were in good shape from what i could test them by hand.

Problem is that my MB sucks BIG TIME the suspension, the car doesn't absorb the unevean crappy roads here, feels loose on the front and doesn't work as many other cars I have tested, feels "boatly" and when you push(balance) the front down to the ground it's pretty easy to "compress" the front of the car.

I always read in the reviews by mags and owners that the stock factory "new C43 AMG" was stiff and harsh in the suspension field, something that I cannot understand/agree with my personal experience, of corse might be due the mixed shocks I have?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:36 PM

1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGC43
Thanks guys. Nt sure why almost nobody show Bilstein for the C43 AMG. Anyways, I'm more convinced to go with Koni, but any of these should work very good at the end. At the end the Konis are expensier but as we know provide adjustable rebound which is great.

Decisions decision...
Because no one makes shocks for the C43. Koni makes the yellows for the C36, but doesn't list them for the 43. Try and get in touch with one of their engineers to find out why, because no one knows... The bilstiens that are made for 202s physically fit, but will fail quickly, as they are not designed for the added wear and tear the AMG models place on them.

Looking for the right info I came across that for our C36/C43 cars (also the regular Cl class (w202) would the following P/N of Koni work 8041-1315sport & 8041-1316sport

I started to search for these and found this site the cheapest and got this message from the guy at the shop, so I would order those anyways:

8041-1315sport 2-3 weeks backorder
8041-1316sport 2-4 weeks minimum special order

http://www.ajusa.com/KONI-Sport-Shoc...1f14q6413.html

Koni reference

http://www.koni.com/car-racing/finder/

Thoughts?
Yes! Ajusa has the cheapest prices and that's where I got mine from. Just get the ones that say they're for the C36.

Originally Posted by kowalski
people say Koni's are stiff?
what kind of ride can you get with lowering springs?

perhaps famous MB cabin ride will transform into a stiff rattle box?

I might also be interested in getting Koni's when I have Vogtlands on my ride.
Koni's or genuine AMG/Bilstein shocks?
A/B shocks will cost more, no doubt.

there are good deals on Koni's on german webshops, less good deals from stealership for OEM shox.
I find that on the softest setting, the Konis are softer than the billys, and when cranked up all the way, they are much stiffer than the billys

I had Koni yellow in my e30 turbo and they were fantastic, cant' say if they turned out stiffer slightly stiffer or about the same as stock ones because i changed the spring at the same time (Eibach pro Kit) but overall Koni are known to be a solid shock that could even last longer than Bilstein plus they are adjustable for the rebound which is great.

My C43 AMG is a euro version so it's lowered already. The car was bought with SACHS Contour (or something among those lines) black shock almost new for the front (I think these are the normal shock for the 280, etc) which were in perfect shape and for the rear still the black OEM MB Bisltein that were in good shape from what i could test them by hand.

Problem is that my MB sucks BIG TIME the suspension, the car doesn't absorb the unevean crappy roads here, feels loose on the front and doesn't work as many other cars I have tested, feels "boatly" and when you push(balance) the front down to the ground it's pretty easy to "compress" the front of the car.

I always read in the reviews by mags and owners that the stock factory "new C43 AMG" was stiff and harsh in the suspension field, something that I cannot understand/agree with my personal experience, of corse might be due the mixed shocks I have?
The Konis will definitely last longer than the billys. The Bilsteins have a rubber bushing inside the lower eye (the side that connects to the LCA) while the Konis have solid bushings. These rubber bushings fail, and pop out, so you will not be able to recompress them into the LCA should you ever take them out, and if you choose to take them out the shocks will not be mounted properly and will flail around and probably break the mounting bolt. My bushings failed after 10,000 miles with NO track time at all. Not what I want in a performance shock. The solid bushing may lead to a slightly more hard ride or some squeaking, but with the softer settings of the shocks it's still softer than the billy, and I do not ever hear squeaking from mine. I love the Konis.

And yeah, if your front shocks are designed for a C280 then the added weight of the V8 and other features of the AMG will make them softer than needed.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:54 PM

W202 AMG C43
I just looked for the C36 1995 and they list the same frotn and rear P/N for the Koni as the C43 AMG.

Somewhere I read that C36 AMG are actually tad heavier car than C43 because of the engine? Don't know....anyways I don't think there is a huge problem by a small difference in weight between the C36 and C43 powerplants to affect the behavior of these shocks?

So the bushing of the Koni shocks are not good? Do they wear out quick?

What Konis are your using in yours? (P/N).

Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Banned

if your shox were designed for c280, that must be the culprit on your ride quality feeling boatly?
you are using non approved shox on your car, giving you a bad ride.

so Koni besides Billy Sport are the only shox available for decent price?
I might try Koni's when the day comes.
I hope I don't wear out my factory shox fast when I have my Vogtlands installed?

where are you located if you have a euro version C43?
your car does it have full options from factory?
parktronics/rear blind/folding mirrors/factory alarm?
these options are giving the european c43 a fatty ride, slowing down the car.
US sold C43's must be faster?

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 01-08-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:20 PM

1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
I just looked for the C36 1995 and they list the same frotn and rear P/N for the Koni as the C43 AMG.

Somewhere I read that C36 AMG are actually tad heavier car than C43 because of the engine? Don't know....anyways I don't think there is a huge problem by a small difference in weight between the C36 and C43 powerplants to affect the behavior of these shocks?

So the bushing of the Koni shocks are not good? Do they wear out quick?

What Konis are your using in yours? (P/N).

Thanks
Same p/n for Konis or the stock shocks?
Yep that's correct, C36 is heavier than the 43. There won't be using the Konis valved for the 36, but using say a Bilstien shock that's valved for the lighter non-AMG version on an AMG won't be great.

No. The bushing of the Bilstein is bad, the Konis are solid, and good

KO-8041-1316Sport in back, KO-8041 1315SPORT in front.

if your shox were designed for c280, that must be the culprit on your ride quality feeling boatly?
you are using non approved shox on your car, giving you a bad ride.

so Koni besides Billy Sport are the only shox available for decent price?
I might try Koni's when the day comes.
I hope I don't wear out my factory shox fast when I have my Vogtlands installed?

where are you located if you have a euro version C43?
your car does it have full options from factory?
parktronics/rear blind/folding mirrors/factory alarm?
these options are giving the european c43 a fatty ride, slowing down the car.
US sold C43's must be faster?
Only other shocks I'd put on would be from the KW kit
Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Banned

nd4spd13

for how many years did you use your Koni's?

do you always drive on softest setting?
is there a huge difference between soft - normal - stiff settings?

do you get lots of cabin rattle on full stiff setting?
bouncy ride on bad tarmac?
car has more stability around corners and less body roll when braking hard with Koni's?
straight forward driving stability is it good when windy outside?

if using stiff settings freequently might wear out shox faster and cause other suspension parts on C43 to wear out fast?
is it possible this would happen?

I'm seriously interested in Koni chicken jelo shox.
they must be long lasting without problems from valve adjustments.
Are Koni's known to give any problems from rubber bushings or valve leaks?

Their plastic adjusting hat is it a good quality part that won't break or the threads beneath the hat gets worn out if doing test adjsutment several times?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Well my C43 with factory Euro suspension and OE Bilsteins lasted over 200k kms and they were not shot before I changed to the full KW set up. Indeed the C43's old suspension will start a new life and be swapped to my C240T whose OE suspension is very "boaty" to say the least after 200k kms in it's wheels
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 PM

2005 G500, 1995 E300D, 1993 500E, 1997 RUF Turbo R
Well my C43 with factory Euro suspension and OE Bilsteins lasted over 200k kms and they were not shot before I changed to the full KW set up. Indeed the C43's old suspension will start a new life and be swapped to my C240T whose OE suspension is very "boaty" to say the least after 200k kms in it's wheels
Good to know as my C43's suspension "seems" fine. I don't intend to lower it.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Banned

when rear shox go bad rear axle feels a bit unstable at high speeds, giving a Cobra snake ride, feels like the rear moves sideways?
is it a good description?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM

W202 AMG C43
nd4spd13

for how many years did you use your Koni's?

do you always drive on softest setting?
is there a huge difference between soft - normal - stiff settings?

do you get lots of cabin rattle on full stiff setting?
bouncy ride on bad tarmac?
car has more stability around corners and less body roll when braking hard with Koni's?
straight forward driving stability is it good when windy outside?

if using stiff settings freequently might wear out shox faster and cause other suspension parts on C43 to wear out fast?
is it possible this would happen?

I'm seriously interested in Koni chicken jelo shox.
they must be long lasting without problems from valve adjustments.
Are Koni's known to give any problems from rubber bushings or valve leaks?

Their plastic adjusting hat is it a good quality part that won't break or the threads beneath the hat gets worn out if doing test adjsutment several times?

kowalski, Koni twin tube adjustable shocks are adjustable in REBOUND but not compression stage, so it's not exactly like you might be imagining that would result in a lot stiffer suspension in full stiff position for daily use when you hit pot holes, bum stops etc when actually the shock/suspension compress and you might expect and "hit & jump" of the car because is stiff (I'm exagerating here to get the idea) but it will reduce the rebound effect so if you are for example at high speed on a unevean(sp?) road this will help to keep the car on the ground and not lunch off the ground for say the least lol... actually making it in the stiffer posotion, the overall behavior of the suspension get kinda stiffer/tighter feeling...I know this last sentence might sound contradictory but that's the way I feel/see this setup when I had it in my BMW e30 turbo.

-Diego
Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 PM

W202 AMG C43
Originally Posted by nd4spd13
Same p/n for Konis or the stock shocks?
Yep that's correct, C36 is heavier than the 43. There won't be using the Konis valved for the 36, but using say a Bilstien shock that's valved for the lighter non-AMG version on an AMG won't be great.

No. The bushing of the Bilstein is bad, the Konis are solid, and good

KO-8041-1316Sport in back, KO-8041 1315SPORT in front.

Only other shocks I'd put on would be from the KW kit

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:33 AM
Banned

kowalski, Koni twin tube adjustable shocks are adjustable in REBOUND but not compression stage, so it's not exactly like you might be imagining that would result in a lot stiffer suspension in full stiff position for daily use when you hit pot holes, bum stops etc when actually the shock/suspension compress and you might expect and "hit & jump" of the car because is stiff (I'm exagerating here to get the idea) but it will reduce the rebound effect so if you are for example at high speed on a unevean(sp?) road this will help to keep the car on the ground and not lunch off the ground for say the least lol... actually making it in the stiffer posotion, the overall behavior of the suspension get kinda stiffer/tighter feeling...I know this last sentence might sound contradictory but that's the way I feel/see this setup when I had it in my BMW e30 turbo.

-Diego
thanks for your review.

overall review about yellow adjustable Koni.
this is a great shock for our C43's?

anyone used or know about Koni FSD shox?
are FSD Grand Touring shox suitable for C43?

is there a huge difference between yellow adjustable vs FSD?
which one would be an ideal purchase?
I know FSD is a new designed shock vs the yellow ones, any adjustable settings on these FSD?

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 01-09-2013 at 02:39 AM.