C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

1st Major Service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C43 AMG
1st Major Service

Hey since I got my C43, i haven't driven it much, but this past weekend I went all out on the car. I Overhauled the car and serviced it all the around. I am however having low idle problem at stop. I'm making a list of the what I have done so far, so here is all the OEM things i have invested into my 99 C43.

O2 Sensor all 4 (Except I did not get a chance to replace the left front, need to remove the mufflers for access time was killed but has anyone gotten around this and can this be why I am at low idle at stops? my idle stays normal at neutral and park, but on when in D it goes low idle, I was think if it is not the 4th left front o2 sensor then it must be the idle control valve and i did however replace the other 3)
Dust filter
Intake filters
Intake box
16 Spark plugs
V-belt
Water pump pulley
Water pump & gasket
Thermostat
LT Valve cover gasket
RT Valve cover gasket
Oil Filter + Oil service Mobil-1
Fuel Filter
LT Fan (A/c)
RT Fan (A/c)
Fan blade
Fan drive
Condenser
Radiator
P/S Cooling line
Front Brake pads
Rear Brake pads
Temparture sensor
Crank Position Sensor
Cam position sensor
Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 346 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
You did a good job, to serve it with all those list,,

maybe the ECU reads a low idle in "D" position, you can try to raise the RPM idle though the "Star/SDS",,

i think it will solve your low idle problem....

ZAYED,,
Old 03-20-2013, 11:34 AM

1999 C43 AMG
Yeah that's what i was thinking too. Have to take it in to the dealer for clear codes and CPA and CPS.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 AM

1999 C43 AMG
all it needs now is a car wash. ;-)
Old 03-25-2013, 01:55 PM

1999 C43 AMG
Update 3-25-2013:
Bought NEW OEM Headlamps.

Having problems with the lumbar seats not inflating, not sure if I ever checked them, but I bought the 2 seat valves (the ones with the switches) and still don't think it's that. Can there be a vacuum leak and or is this a common problem where the pump goes bad, and if is it a separate vacuum pump?

Also SRS light came on, ran codes and said faulty seat sensor (passenger seat recognition), so I bought the seat sensor, has anyone done this easily?

Also I noticed when I serviced the engine, I didn't know there was a knock sensor, how far along do they wear out and when should I replace?

And lastly how do i know the headlamp wipers work?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Wow! This AMG is spoiled
I don't even want to ask how much the brand new headlights were. I assume you have the HIDs if you were having issues.

The lumbar bags are a common issue. Usually I believe a Y plug comes undone somewhere in the seat back. Just pop off the back cover and you should know. Just search this issue, it's been covered a decent amount on here.

Don't know much about the C43s knock sensor. I know the C36s went out relatively often. Hope someone else can chime in.

Headlight wipers will work when you have the headlights turned on, and press the windshield wash button on the stalk. Have a buddy stand in front of the car and watch for them to spray/move.

Originally Posted by Tony_AMG
Update 3-25-2013:
Bought NEW OEM Headlamps.

Having problems with the lumbar seats not inflating, not sure if I ever checked them, but I bought the 2 seat valves (the ones with the switches) and still don't think it's that. Can there be a vacuum leak and or is this a common problem where the pump goes bad, and if is it a separate vacuum pump?

Also SRS light came on, ran codes and said faulty seat sensor (passenger seat recognition), so I bought the seat sensor, has anyone done this easily?

Also I noticed when I serviced the engine, I didn't know there was a knock sensor, how far along do they wear out and when should I replace?

And lastly how do i know the headlamp wipers work?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 346 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Knock sensors located under the Intake Manifold,, you should to remove the Intake Manifold to get them,,

why you want to replace them, do you have a Knock sensors code.....??

Name:  Knock sensor.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  4.9 KB

ZAYED,,
Old 03-25-2013, 09:25 PM

1999 C43 AMG
No, just wanted to be sure its life on the car. I am doing as much service as possible on this car I got a baby on the way so I want to do as much as I can until the baby is here you know. So yeah my C43 toy car. I did most of what needed to be done, previous owner kept it very well kept engine and trans wise, but he wasn't let's say using the right OEM parts for the car, and since I bought it cash and intended to keep it, I did and want to finish doing as much as I can.

Last edited by Tony_AMG; 03-25-2013 at 09:27 PM.