C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

took apart the intake manifold...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 93 Posts
c43
When I took my intake apart to clean the hardest part was taking it out of the car. I also replaced the fuel injectors seals while i was at it. To seal the top portion of the intake I used Permatex Ultra Grey RTV Gasket Maker (9.5 oz). Had no problems whatsoever. The key is to clean very well, and after sealing it let it dry dry dry. Once this stuff dries it aint coming off easy.

Before doing this job I had air leaks I couldn't find and engine would shake a little. After the job no more air leaks and engine was very steady. Whichever sealer you use just let it dry and you will not have any problems at all.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by Alucard136
Im going to clean the intake on my m113. Should i split the manifold or should i just clean it from the "outside"?
Personally I think it was a lot of work. I cleaned it all out and used a boat load of RTV to fill everything again since just about every surface you can imagine needs RTV where it contacts another piece. If you dont have any major vacuum issues or an awful rough idle I would hold off on opening it up. Its obviously do-able, but not something you do just for fun.

If you decide you need to open it up, ill rummage through my old photos and see if I can post anything that would be helpful to you.

Let me know.

Edit: to prove that it can be done without a spare manifold, I didnt order one. but did have to machine a new component since I was impatient when opening it and snapped a fork that controls the air pathway to the cylinders. But it most certainly can be done!

Last edited by slacker; 05-01-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:03 AM

e500 w211
Originally Posted by slacker
Personally I think it was a lot of work. I cleaned it all out and used a boat load of RTV to fill everything again since just about every surface you can imagine needs RTV where it contacts another piece. If you dont have any major vacuum issues or an awful rough idle I would hold off on opening it up. Its obviously do-able, but not something you do just for fun.

If you decide you need to open it up, ill rummage through my old photos and see if I can post anything that would be helpful to you.

Let me know.

Edit: to prove that it can be done without a spare manifold, I didnt order one. but did have to machine a new component since I was impatient when opening it and snapped a fork that controls the air pathway to the cylinders. But it most certainly can be done!
I have no problems, instead planing on doing it to prevent problems, increase mpg and hopefully regain some power i didnt know i lost please, if you have the time, post your photos. The more the better
Old 12-13-2018, 01:49 AM

2001 CLK 55 AMG.......... 2001 Corvette Z06.........
Figured I'd share.

Recently needed to get my intake apart and fiddled with heat for a few minutes unsuccessfully.

I found some "dip" for cleaning parts. Can be purchased at any parts store, comes in a gallon paint can. High powered solvent highly corrosive towards soft rubbers aka the gaskets that hold that thing firmly in place.

after drizzling some of this stuff on it was apart in less than 5 minutes.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Why does nobody ever mention re applying any glue when re assembling these manifolds?

its very clear there is not just sealant inside the top half, there’s also gluein some places too. Surely everybody didn’t just glue it back together with RTV sealant...dig through 5 threads on this subject and nobody mentions the glue?
The following users liked this post:
ChrisVannoy (09-26-2022)