C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

jdmwerks13 - Vogtland Springs from Ebay, new, used, or just crap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
1999 AMG C43
jdmwerks13 - Vogtland Springs from Ebay, new, used, or just crap?

So I got my package from jdmwerks13 on Ebay and I am not sure if I'm just being a perfectionist or something is amiss here. Take a look at these photos and let me know if you think these shocks were gently used or maybe Vogtland isn't just great quality, the packing doesn't look great that's for sure and in the ebay listing he had dividers between each spring but not in my package......

Bear in mind, these springs were advertised as new. Am I wrong that these springs do not look new? I paid $184.10 + $29.00 shipping = $213.10. I could send them back and ask for new ones or I could try to negotiate a discount. A couple of the pictures show the protective plastic coating edged off to the metal, so not sure I'd want that. I'm not a diva or anything, I don't mind buying used parts, I actually prefer it, but I don't want to pay new parts prices for used parts. Anything bought new and resold after use, even slight use substantially devalues. As such the market dictates.

And to be honest, I'm not sure what to expect re: customer service because after I purchased these but before I paid (I mean immediately after I purchased these) I sent him a message asking if he had yellow koni so I could get everything shipped together and instead of answering me, he opened a non-pay case against me and I never got an answer so I just paid. So considering, I have no problem just opening a case against him and returning.

Last edited by mickey13; 04-10-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: used the word shock instead of spring, so fixed that
Old 04-10-2014, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Wow I was just looking at that same set on eBay, or that same seller. I personally would immediately contact him, and either get a new set sent, or a discount of some sort. You have every right to get the item pictured. If it says new it better be brand new, with the original tape still on the boxes.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 AMG C43
Glad I could help. What would you value these used springs at? I don't mind keeping them but I'm thinking 50% off? I'm also worried that there's something wrong with one of them, defective or something. So he'd have to tell me why they were returned and stand behind them if they need to be traded out after I install them. Probably not worth the 90 bucks off if I have to install, remove and reinstall...

Last edited by mickey13; 04-10-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: replaced the word shock with spring and added question
Old 04-10-2014, 03:22 PM

C43
I think anything from 30-50% is a fair deal. Let's hope the seller feels the same way.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:23 PM

1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by mickey13
So I got my package from jdmwerks13 on Ebay and I am not sure if I'm just being a perfectionist or something is amiss here. Take a look at these photos and let me know if you think these shocks were gently used or maybe Vogtland isn't just great quality, the packing doesn't look great that's for sure and in the ebay listing he had dividers between each spring but not in my package......

Bear in mind, these springs were advertised as new. Am I wrong that these springs do not look new? I paid $184.10 + $29.00 shipping = $213.10. I could send them back and ask for new ones or I could try to negotiate a discount. A couple of the pictures show the protective plastic coating edged off to the metal, so not sure I'd want that. I'm not a diva or anything, I don't mind buying used parts, I actually prefer it, but I don't want to pay new parts prices for used parts. Anything bought new and resold after use, even slight use substantially devalues. As such the market dictates.

And to be honest, I'm not sure what to expect re: customer service because after I purchased these but before I paid (I mean immediately after I purchased these) I sent him a message asking if he had yellow koni so I could get everything shipped together and instead of answering me, he opened a non-pay case against me and I never got an answer so I just paid. So considering, I have no problem just opening a case against him and returning.
Yeah those definitely look like mine do now (after running them for 3 years). They are not new. They also have the pre-facelift (95-97) ends, made for W201 spring pads, not the updated W210 ones the C43s use.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 AMG C43
Yeah, figures. I don't want to bash the guy just yet. I mean who knows, maybe he made an honest mistake. I opened a case and he has 6 days to resolve, I gave my phone number and posted about 10 pictures for him to review. I didn't request a discount, instead I requested a refund or a new set with pictures of exactly what I'm getting first.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2006 E55 AMG/1996 C36 AMG/1999 C43/55 AMG

I was lucky when I purchased mine from eBay as I paid $151 USD for a brand new set. Having said that, mine were packaged with dividers between all four springs but, during shipping they do take a beating. The Vogtland logo wear is from the coils rolling around in the box. The same can be said of the gauges and scrapes. The black grease that appears to be on one of the coils is definitely not normal for a "new" product. Chances are, you will probably mark them up a bit during installation but, I'd definitely request a discount from the seller. You are also covered through PayPal if they are not what was advertised. Good luck and keep us updated.

Cheers
Old 04-11-2014, 01:45 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
when i bought my springs from germany they only had these airfilled dividers in the box.
when box arrived to my home and i opened the box, springs were stuck with each other in a snake pit.

springs hit each other damaging the protective coating.
mine were like yours michael, they had nasty scuffmarks everywhere.
when i paid for my springs i also gave the seller a message through paypal, he had to wrap each spring in protective materials to avoid shipping damage, i guess he forgot to do that.
i sent him pictures showing the scuffmarks, i told him springs will suffer from rust damage because of this.
seller was kind enuff to refund me 100% of the spring cost, i only paid the shipping cost.
vogtland company have poor packing, they must have had several complaints before and still didn't solve packing problems.

i bought Hammerite red paint (no purple paint available) and had the damaged areas painted to protect from rust.
then i had the springs waxoiled after they were installed
no one looks what's behind the wheels waxoil your vehicle and you'll protect what's under the car.

you are entitled for a massive refund, tell seller springs will rust from these paint damages.
you wrote about this on MB forums and people will know about your issue.
i don't think he want's his name to be bashed if he is a serious seller!
tell him that.
what's his feedback score on ebay?
100% positive?
he might get negative feedback if he doesn't care?
tell him that

you're a smooth talker, use your court experiance

god speed

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 04-11-2014 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 AMG C43
Nice story kowalski. After some thought, I'd keep them for free but I don't want a replacement set from him or a discount. Not even sure I'm going to stick with Vogtland after this, sounds like they are a second rate company and these springs have become very uninteresting to me. What's the point to powder coat a product and then allow them to nick up. Definitely a lack of quality control and poor distribution process as seller is claiming these springs are drop shipped from Vogtland USA, so I can't be sure if issue originates from manufacturer, distributor, or seller. What I can be sure is that each spring had a bite mark on its leg where it looks like a clamp bit through the powder coat into the metal. Some of the damage is clearly from the springs rolling around in the box, you can see dents from collision, however I have a growing suspect that these are a restocked item accounting for the poor packing and bite marks on the legs. I know some distributors offer reconditioned or restocked items at a discount, no telling with this transaction, could be the seller saved a few extra bucks by ordering as such or it could be he is innocent and the distributor made a mistake. I really don't know and don't care, I just want my money back. I wrote an email to Vogtland Germany, but no response yet. Surprisingly enough I could have ordered the springs direct for an extra 10 dollars but no guarantee that would have made a difference.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Banned

vogtland has a 100 year history, they are not amateurs!
on the side of the box where the partsnumber label is, there is also another thank you purchase label where it says, springs where carefully packed by Vogtland staff, maybe they were carefully packed?
but they weren't carefully delivered, that's why you have issues now!

my springs also had black smudge on them the same gunk seen in your pictures, they also had severe paintchip scuffmarks down to bare metal.
i sent pics to seller complaining why they arrived damaged.
he apologized and told me to send him pics for evidence, which i did.
he resolved the problem by refunding me the full amount for spring cost.
that was a fair deal for me.

there is nothing wrong with your springs, trust me on this brother!
the only problem is that Vogtland company offers very poor packing!!
protective material inside box is very poor and doesn't offer any protection at all.

make him seller give you a GOOD refund and be pleased with your springs.
these are not bad springs.
i wouldn't have bought them if everyone here didn't review them in positive way

buy Hammerite paint which gives awesome protection against rust, paint the damaged spots and then fit them to your car after that, have them waxoiled.
these springs will last for long time if you treat them with protective paint and wax.

maybe H&R also have the same poor packing?
it's the same sh-t!

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 04-11-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:07 PM

I'd take poorly packaged springs before springs that sag any day

Originally Posted by kowalski
vogtland has a 100 year history, they are not amateurs!
on the side of the box where the partsnumber label is, there is also another thank you purchase label where it says, springs where carefully packed by Vogtland staff, maybe they were carefully packed?
but they weren't carefully delivered, that's why you have issues now!

my springs also had black smudge on them the same gunk seen in your pictures, they also had severe paintchip scuffmarks down to bare metal.
i sent pics to seller complaining why they arrived damaged.
he apologized and told me to send him pics for evidence, which i did.
he resolved the problem by refunding me the full amount for spring cost.
that was a fair deal for me.

there is nothing wrong with your springs, trust me on this brother!
the only problem is that Vogtland company offers very poor packing!!
protective material inside box is very poor and doesn't offer any protection at all.

make him seller give you a GOOD refund and be pleased with your springs.
these are not bad springs.
i wouldn't have bought them if everyone here didn't review them in positive way

buy Hammerite paint which gives awesome protection against rust, paint the damaged spots and then fit them to your car after that, have them waxoiled.
these springs will last for long time if you treat them with protective paint and wax.

maybe H&R also have the same poor packing?
it's the same sh-t!
Old 04-12-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by nd4spd13
Yeah those definitely look like mine do now (after running them for 3 years). They are not new. They also have the pre-facelift (95-97) ends, made for W201 spring pads, not the updated W210 ones the C43s use.
So, are these the correct springs for the C43? I was looking at these on eBay as well.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Banned

vogtland #952079
Old 04-12-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by eFifty5AMG
So, are these the correct springs for the C43? I was looking at these on eBay as well.
No I don't believe so. They will fit just fine (they're actually the ones I'm running because I bought them when I had the 36) but you will need new 201 spring pads
Old 04-12-2014, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 AMG C43
Right. These would fit but they aren't technically correct as nd4spd13 pointed out. You'd have to get the right pads, like $50. I'll tell you that seller claimed these were dropped shipped from Vogtland USA, but Vogtland USA will not confirm. What V USA did say was that they ship their springs in foam (what that means idk). Good news it's that seller sent a return label so I don't want to bash the guy or anything as I'll probably never know what happened. He did state that he never had this problem and offered to send a new pair which I declined. If Vogtland USA continues to communicate with me and offers to send a properly packed set for the c43, I'll buy them otherwise I'll find another solution. I am not keen on the h&r or the eibach, but I'll figure something out.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 AMG C43
So fast forward 2 years and still haven't got a solution. I am thinking I will just roll the dice and order another set.

Ebay seems to have more options now. I see Vogtland 952079 (This is what the last seller stated he sent to me but if you recall all the writing and model number was scratched off the spring.

Also for sale is 952078
and 952077
Also 952075

so nd4spd13 also commented that the springs I had before would not fit unless I changed the pads. Any idea which model will work without having to get the new pads? So has anyone who has installed received a set where they did not have to change the original pads?

And thinking back now, I did speak to V USA and they offered to send me springs that I buy directly through them. I may shoot them an email and ask which are the correct springs as they did seem eager to make the sale direct to me.

OK so look at V catalog (LINK) and see C43 on two pages, both 22 & 30. Listing two different parts: 960085 & 952079. One is the "club" and one the "sport"

Guessing club means they come with those cheap kyb shocks, not entirely sure.

Last edited by mickey13; 05-21-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:43 PM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup
I love my VOGHTS they are awesome..they are now making them for my mustang so im going to grab a set for it! quality product but that set looks sketchy..get a refund,stay off FLEAbay!
Old 05-21-2016, 12:46 PM

99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup

Plus team them up with B sports you wont be sorry
Old 05-21-2016, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 AMG C43
Hey 99.

PJ said his B sports gave up on him, how long have you had yours? A lot of people swear by koni.

I think he has the h&r springs which someone else said sags, so maybe that's why his dropped too low.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:10 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
Hey 99.

PJ said his B sports gave up on him, how long have you had yours? A lot of people swear by koni.

I think he has the h&r springs which someone else said sags, so maybe that's why his dropped too low.
FWIW, I have owned & tested both on my C & can say that the Bilstein shocks are more comfortable than the Konis on the softest setting. Both seem to be very composed & handle well. However, I do like the adjustability & would use the Konis if I were not dailying the car. This was on the Euro springs & not the Vogts or H&Rs.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 343 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
I ordered "Vogts" (952079) for my friend's C280 last year,

when i opened the box, i had feeling that, it's NOT original "Vogts", looks like an OEM used springs with "Vogts" color, and crap printed logo,

also, notice how they cut the coil edge, seems they use kitchen veg. knife..!,,

see how differ between "Vogts" and "H&R" edge cut finishing, with printed logo..!!?!!

ZAYED,,
Old 05-22-2016, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cm60k
I ordered "Vogts" (952079) for my friend's C280 last year,

when i opened the box, i had feeling that, it's NOT original "Vogts", looks like an OEM used springs with "Vogts" color, and crap printed logo,

also, notice how they cut the coil edge, seems they use kitchen veg. knife..!,,

see how differ between "Vogts" and "H&R" edge cut finishing, with printed logo..!!?!!

ZAYED,,
where did you buy Vogtland springs?
from eBay?
maybe you bought chinese knock offs for your friend?

I bought mine from german eBay, they were original in factory box
springs have original color pink/purple shade with Vogtland lettering logo in white color.

I love my combo with Koni adjustables and Vogtland springs, shox set on full stiff.
@ Hayden, maybe roads sucks in America therefore you don't like the sporty feel from shocks?
I adore my setup on the street

btw Zayed?
did you sell your AMG?
you have a C200 in your sig.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:55 AM

Hey 99.

Lowered my car about 18 months ago.Car has about 1k on the set up.My car is a garage queen,lol.But no rides better than stock with this set up!!! Ive had H&R and Eibach on previous vehicles.Yes the H&R super sports are the lowest to begin with and they settle in more than the Voghts..my experience on a 98 m3 I HAD...IMHO Voghts are the softest riding springs.Handling wise though my samplings have been on different types of vehicles,body roll and squat are all about the same.Have Koni str-tshocks/struts on the stang and don't like them.Now the B2 SPORTS are great no bouncing a nice firm dampning and high quality.Koni yellows and orange/reds are excellent too but never had em'.

Last edited by 99CEEFOURTHREE; 05-22-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by kowalski
where did you buy Vogtland springs?
from eBay?
maybe you bought chinese knock offs for your friend?

I bought mine from german eBay, they were original in factory box
springs have original color pink/purple shade with Vogtland lettering logo in white color.

I love my combo with Koni adjustables and Vogtland springs, shox set on full stiff.
@ Hayden, maybe roads sucks in America therefore you don't like the sporty feel from shocks?
I adore my setup on the street

btw Zayed?
did you sell your AMG?
you have a C200 in your sig.
What Kowal said exactly..our roads suck,they kill suspensions!
Old 05-22-2016, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 343 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Honestly; not remember from where i bought them, long time..!

i'm more satisfied with "H&R" or "Eibach", better finishing with better edge cut than "Vogts",

this damn cut harms the pad surface after awhile..!

Unfortunately yeah; i sold my last AMG month ago, i bought "00 W202 C200 & 02 W210 E430"

ZAYED,,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: jdmwerks13 - Vogtland Springs from Ebay, new, used, or just crap?