EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Garage Charger Fire!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 07:31 PM

Received 422 Likes on 270 Posts
EQS 450+
Garage Charger Fire!

So, my EQS was charging normally today after golf, had another hour or so to go. We heard a pop in the kitchen, and I smelled an electrical fire. Went to the garage, which was filled with smoke, and the NEMA 6/50 plug for my ChargePoint Homeflex was on fire. I had my wife call the fire department and move her car, while I shut off the power at the circuit breaker on the back of our house. I then unplugged and moved my EQS, and used a fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire. The fire department arrived a few minutes later with their temperature gadgets, took out some drywall and insulation, and checked both attics to make sure the fire was actuallly out....luckily, it was. So, minimal damage. I can say that the ChargePoint Homeflex circuit brakers had apparently tripped, because it had shut off. But the brakers on the 240V circuit were not tripped until I shut them off. Pretty scary event....very lucky to have had just superficial damage. Ovbiously, I will now have the entire circuit install redone by someone very reputable....maybe the Mercedes installer with a new Mercedes Wallbox. Don't understand why this happened. Circuit was rated at 50amp, had a 50amp circuit braker. ChargePoint Homeflex was set at 40amp for a 9.6 kW charge. Had been working fine for 2 1/2 years. It was the NEMA 6/50 box, which Mercedes recommended when I bought my car in January 2022, not the NEMA 14/50. Maybe that was the problem? Don't know. Definitely just dodged a bullet!
The following users liked this post:
stanjj46 (05-27-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 723 Posts
G550
A licensed electrician once almost burned down my house. A licensed plumber succeeded (I'm not joking).
Old 05-26-2024, 07:55 PM

EQS 450+
Frustrating that the 50amp circuit braker didn't trip. Clearly, the NEMA 6/50 plug was what caught fire....defective? I don't know.
Old 05-26-2024, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 495 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by hlothery
Frustrating that the 50amp circuit braker didn't trip. Clearly, the NEMA 6/50 plug was what caught fire....defective? I don't know.
I don’t know but this is why my ChargePoint is hardwired.
The following 4 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
dangitty (05-26-2024), hlothery (05-27-2024), MBNUT1 (05-27-2024), Surge (06-01-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Scary stuff. Let us know what you find out as many of us could potentially run into this problem one day.
MBNUT1 (05-27-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 11:47 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '89 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
The Audi e-tron pages have several threads on cheaper "Home Depot" plug recepticals and over temps and arcing.
MBNUT1 (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 02:27 AM

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
I think the NEMA 6-50 is the weak point, especially if it is consumer grade.
Even if you switch to NEMA 14-50, don't use consumer grade.
Only use Hubbell NEMA receptacles, costs a lot more but they are industrial grade. A slightly cheaper alternative is Bryant Electric - it is actually a rebranded Hubbell.

Or use Hard Wire.
I have also bought a smoke detector for my garage.
MBNUT1 (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 06:16 AM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by nosnoop
I think the NEMA 6-50 is the weak point, especially if it is consumer grade.
Even if you switch to NEMA 14-50, don't use consumer grade.
Only use Hubbell NEMA receptacles, costs a lot more but they are industrial grade. A slightly cheaper alternative is Bryant Electric - it is actually a rebranded Hubbell.

Or use Hard Wire.
I have also bought a smoke detector for my garage.
I suspect that is exactly the culprit. I will probably have it hard wired going forward. Not sure if I'll use another ChargePoint, or go with the Mercedes Wallbox, but it will be done right this time! And, I've already made plans for the garage smoke detector, which would have given me much advanced warning. By the time I heard the pop, flames were already coming out of the wall recepticle for the NEMA 6/50. Close call.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 567 Likes on 386 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
I suspect that is exactly the culprit. I will probably have it hard wired going forward. Not sure if I'll use another ChargePoint, or go with the Mercedes Wallbox, but it will be done right this time! And, I've already made plans for the garage smoke detector, which would have given me much advanced warning. By the time I heard the pop, flames were already coming out of the wall recepticle for the NEMA 6/50. Close call.
Many articles explain why EV charging places a different sort of load on both circuit breakers and plugs. The issue appears to be the length of a charging session compared to that of a clothes dryer which creates continuous high temperature. The receptacles are not designed for repeated connect/disconnect cycles. There was an article about a breaker box fire because the wires were not torqued correctly.

I have a Wallbox Plus EV charger hard-wired into the breaker box. Compatible with the Mercedes Me app for all charging transactions. The circuit breaker is 60A since my charger can deliver 50A to a vehicle. My EQEX4 only accepts 40A so a bit of planning for the future. A smoke detector is also a good idea in a garage even with just a ICE.
MBNUT1 (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 07:29 AM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by HBerman
Many articles explain why EV charging places a different sort of load on both circuit breakers and plugs. The issue appears to be the length of a charging session compared to that of a clothes dryer which creates continuous high temperature. The receptacles are not designed for repeated connect/disconnect cycles. There was an article about a breaker box fire because the wires were not torqued correctly.

I have a Wallbox Plus EV charger hard-wired into the breaker box. Compatible with the Mercedes Me app for all charging transactions. The circuit breaker is 60A since my charger can deliver 50A to a vehicle. My EQEX4 only accepts 40A so a bit of planning for the future. A smoke detector is also a good idea in a garage even with just a ICE.
Good advice. You're already doing what I'm planning! Thanks.
HBerman (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 11:35 AM

Received 254 Likes on 149 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Looks like you will have a chance to determine if Pause windows set up in your car still cause the charger to cycle with a different brand EVSE. Hopefully, your experience with the NEMA 6-50 outlet will persuade more forum members to choose a hardwired option.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 970 Likes on 710 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Frustrating that the 50amp circuit breaker didn't trip. Clearly, the NEMA 6/50 plug was what caught fire....defective? I don't know.
I am guessing it didn't trip because the current didn't exceed 50 amps. The plug overheated at the 40 amp draw as others have suggested.

In terms of the plug duty cycle are you plugging and unplugging the charger at the outlet? I wouldn't imagine that you are.

Thanks for posting this. It has caused me to rethink charging at my MIL's house with our 120 V portable charger for our Niro.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 05-27-2024 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 946 Likes on 723 Posts
G550
I'm curious about the installed NEMA 6/50 outlet. Was this already installed in the garage for the purpose of accommodating an EV charger (I think NEC building code required this beginning in 2013), or was it installed more recently after you purchased your EV and required a charger? A licensed electrician did the install?
Old 05-27-2024, 01:41 PM

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
2022 Taycan GTS, 2023 EQS580 SUV, 2023 EQS580 sedan
1. if you charge your EV at garage, please buy a battery operated smoke detector. I have a nest smoke detector in my garage just in case.
2. use hot wire charger if you can. my nema outlet turn into grey color only 8 months of use. my electrician said he been replacing customers' nema plug because it melted. he brought it to Home Depot and their respond is all those nema plugs are within the spec, if anything goes wrong please sue Home Depot directly.
Old 05-27-2024, 02:50 PM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I am guessing it didn't trip because the current didn't exceed 50 amps. The plug overheated at the 40 amp draw as others have suggested.

In terms of the plug duty cycle are you plugging and unplugging the charger at the outlet? I wouldn't imagine that you are.

Thanks for posting this. It has caused me to rethink charging at my MIL's house with our 120 V portable charger for our Niro.
I don't think I ever unplugged it, once it was installed. Just used it every 4-5 days to charge without any incident or issue until Yesterday.
MBNUT1 (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 02:57 PM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by streborx
I'm curious about the installed NEMA 6/50 outlet. Was this already installed in the garage for the purpose of accommodating an EV charger (I think NEC building code required this beginning in 2013), or was it installed more recently after you purchased your EV and required a charger? A licensed electrician did the install?
It was installed, including the 240V line, a wall drop from the attic, and all, a little over two years ago, when I bought my EQS. It was installed by a local outfit that does AC/Plumbing/Electrical by a licensed electrician. Clearly, it appears to me that corners were cut. There was no housing behind the plug face, just wires attached and pressed against the insulation in the garage wall. The plug is melted and totally fried, it is clearly the culprit, and was the thing that was on fire, until I cut the circuit and used the fire extinguisher. It will, of course, now be completely redone all the way from the circuit breaker box on the back of the house by a licensed commercial building contractor, who is a friend of mine. They will hardwire the new box....not sure which one I will get yet, but probably a Mercedes Wallbox.
Old 05-27-2024, 03:02 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
2023 Mercedes ESQ SUV 580 ● 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
All NEMA 14-50 receptacles are not the same. The $12 Levitons are very light duty and feel like a toy when compared to $60 Hubbell 9450a receptacles.
The following 2 users liked this post by LasVegas_89135:
dblankenbaker (Today), hlothery (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EQS 450v4
When you hardwire, you will also lose the ability to reboot the EVSE or otherwise turn off its power, other than running around to the circuit breaker. If you can, have them install a disconnect at the EVSE so you have that option. This may or may not be possible due to physical constraints or building code in your area, but it's a nice feature.

Old 05-27-2024, 03:08 PM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by grandcurmudgeon
When you hardwire, you will also lose the ability to reboot the EVSE or otherwise turn off its power, other than running around to the circuit breaker. If you can, have them install a disconnect at the EVSE so you have that option. This may or may not be possible due to physical constraints or building code in your area, but it's a nice feature.
Thanks, Ill see what they say. Running around to the circuit breaker box to reboot is far superior to almost losing my house! I'll not be dealing with another plug-in.
Old 05-27-2024, 05:09 PM

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
SL63
I am not telling you what to or not to do. I am just saying, that if insurance finds out, they won’t be happy. And when your homeowners insurance company isn’t happy, they won’t stop being happy until you are unhappy, with higher premiums, or cancelation.
We are being told one thing from our supposed betters, that the right thing to do is go all electric, green, solar, wind, and save the planet. But our insurance company says, if you do any of that, they will punish you.
Old 05-27-2024, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 298 Likes on 207 Posts
2022 EQS580
Call me dumb but I’m not positive if mine is hardwired or not. I think it is. Mine is also a Charge Point wall charger (I think a NEMA 5-50). It has its own circuit breaker. The wiring goes directly from the circuit breaker to the wall outlet that the electrician installed. The wiring is plastic wrapped and about 1.5” diameter. A thick electrical cord goes from the wall charger to the outlet when I’m charging the car. Here is a photo.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 05-27-2024 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 06:24 PM

Received 254 Likes on 149 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
Call me dumb but I’m not positive if mine is hardwired or not. I think it is. Mine is also a Charge Point wall charger (I think a NEMA 5-50). It has its own circuit breaker. The wiring goes directly from the circuit breaker to the wall outlet that the electrician installed. The wiring is plastic wrapped and about 1.5” diameter. A thick electrical cord goes from the wall charger to the outlet when I’m charging the car. Here is a photo.
Your EVSE is definitely NOT hardwired. Your ChargePoint EVSE has a NEMA 6-50 plug. The diameter of the conduit is not as important as the gauge of the wire inside of it.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:06 PM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
Yea, if you have to plug it in to use it, it is not hardwired. That is similar to my setup, except that mine was imbedded in the wall rather than attached on it. I think your setup is actually safer. My 6/50 plug had no backing...it was inside the wall with the wires up against the insulation. I doubt that was to code, but I have no idea. Anyway, next time the wire will enter the back of the box and be directly connected, without the need for a plug in. That is hard wired.
AppleFan1 (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 08:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Audi
Make sure that when the electrical wires are secured/screwed to the plug…make sure the electrician torques the screws to the appropriate force. I read a while back…if those wires are not tightened to the correct torque, arcing can occur and start a fire. The article I read (sorry don’t remember where I read it) suggested this happens more than you think…especially with plugs installed for dryers.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 970 Likes on 710 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
It was installed, including the 240V line, a wall drop from the attic, and all, a little over two years ago, when I bought my EQS. It was installed by a local outfit that does AC/Plumbing/Electrical by a licensed electrician. Clearly, it appears to me that corners were cut. There was no housing behind the plug face, just wires attached and pressed against the insulation in the garage wall. The plug is melted and totally fried, it is clearly the culprit, and was the thing that was on fire, until I cut the circuit and used the fire extinguisher. It will, of course, now be completely redone all the way from the circuit breaker box on the back of the house by a licensed commercial building contractor, who is a friend of mine. They will hardwire the new box....not sure which one I will get yet, but probably a Mercedes Wallbox.
Not that I know for sure but it doesn't sound like it was done to code. You should take pictures and contact your local inspector.

Edit: j\Just read post #23.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 05-27-2024 at 08:11 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garage Charger Fire!