C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Parcel Shelf/C-piller covers replaced

Old 10-03-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C43 w/clk55 Organs
Parcel Shelf/C-piller covers replaced

Thought I would share my experience with this as I think many like the thought of replacing or painting to get back that original look.

I decided since installing the amg boot spoiler with 3rd light I would no longer need the original mounted to the parcel shelf, amg supply a black stick on cover for this as part of the spoiler kit but I think that is a bit cheap.

Having wanted to restore the shelf to original black I looked into spray alternatives and even original farbrics however because the material goes very brittle, it was unlikely it would look good or even consistent at best, so I went with a complete new shelf and C-pillers.

I was a bit surprised when it arrived, even though I had ordered it as the correct part for my C43 specs, it arrived with no speaker cutouts,or cutouts for the seat latch indicators,these had to be very carefully cut in with a ruler and sharp knife. I checked in epc again and even the picture and description there shows no speaker cutouts. There are some faint indents on the rear to show where to cut, which helped only a little.

As a bonus, the new shelf did not come pre drilled for the 3rd light, so no need for any covers now just re-wire to the spoiler, very happy with this

Now always garage your C43

Old 10-03-2015, 08:59 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
Awesome! I hate that I always notice that aged blue look on mine
How much was that? Looks perfect
Old 10-04-2015, 05:25 AM

C43 w/clk55 Organs
It bugged me a lot too on my previous 202!

It is hard to justify the cost as the parts add up to around $400usd if only doing for colour refresh,but it works out well with the spoiler install.

Not much beats the new finish on these original parts
Old 10-04-2015, 05:50 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
parcel shelf turn purple from sun.
if you let your car stay outside all the time, shelf will turn purple.

cheapest solution to re-color the shelf is to buy a black spraypaint can

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 10-04-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
W202 w/ a 5.4L V8
How difficult was it to source this? It may be on my to-do list down the road.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:05 PM

C43 w/clk55 Organs
Dennis, maybe they use more sun resistant dyes on newer mb?. I was tempted to buy a spray can just to see how it would have turned out, if sombody does please post up how well colours match etc

Alex, down here I use a local company who imports from Germany, they work out cheaper than going through the dealership..I wonder sometimes if companies buy large amounts of old stock and onsell from there
Old 10-04-2015, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Nice job there Pagz
Do you play the piano? I see one in the background...
Old 10-04-2015, 06:13 PM

C43 w/clk55 Organs
Cheers

I wish I had the time!..my partner plays, she learn't from a young age and hopes to one day teach it
Old 07-24-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
1995 C36
Any tips on how to remove the rear parcel shelf? It seems the head rests don't want to come out easily and are making this extremely difficult.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:30 AM

C43 w/clk55 Organs
Yes sure, remove the rear seat bolsters by removing bolts at bottom, then sliding all bolsters upwards to release(these get broken because people instead pull,the frame is NLA from MB).

Remove C-piller covers,do this by individually pushing the 3 clips inwards and at same time use a screw driver to push the clip up towards the rear window while holding pressure pull out to remove,then pull each cover forwards and up at same time out of the parcel tray )

To remove headrests, remove covers where they enter the parcel shelf, do this by using a plastic pry bar, apply pressure to the under area on both sides of the cover to release. use a screw driver to press on the tiny plastic hard to see levers while pulling the headrest up, there is one on each support(ie two per headrest).

Remove the three plastic pop rivits on the parcel tray(you will loose some of the rivet pins for sure) and lift out.

Last edited by Pagz; 07-25-2017 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:42 AM

1995 C36
Originally Posted by Pagz
Yes sure, remove the rear seat bolsters by removing bolts at bottom, then sliding all bolsters upwards to release(these get broken because people instead pull,the frame is NLA from MB).

Remove C-piller covers,do this by individually pushing the 3 clips inwards and at same time use a screw driver to push the clip up towards the rear window while holding pressure pull out to remove,then pull each cover forwards and up at same time out of the parcel tray )

To remove headrests, remove covers where they enter the parcel shelf, do this by using a plastic pry bar, apply pressure to the under area on both sides of the cover to release. use a screw driver to press on the tiny plastic hard to see levers while pulling the headrest up, there is one on each support(ie two per headrest).

Remove the three plastic pop rivits on the parcel tray(you will loose some of the rivet pins for sure) and lift out.
I was looking at my crappy parcel shelf yesterday. Are you saying that you remove the headrests from the mechanism where they sit completely or just remove the covers? It seemed like the headrest frames are like a football shaped goal where if you took the covers off they would not slide through the parcel shelf opening. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2017, 02:04 PM

C43 w/clk55 Organs
Originally Posted by ccrelan
I was looking at my crappy parcel shelf yesterday. Are you saying that you remove the headrests from the mechanism where they sit completely or just remove the covers? It seemed like the headrest frames are like a football shaped goal where if you took the covers off they would not slide through the parcel shelf opening. Thanks!
You need to remove the headrest completely!. with covers removed, at the base of each headrest support is a small black lever hidden just out of sight, you need to use a small flat screw driver or similar to apply pressure to it and gently move the support up until its free, the trick being you need to do both supports so hold one side up while you do the other or it will re-latch.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:43 PM

1995 C36
Got it. Thanks for clarifying. Right now my headrests are stuck in the up position. The dash button doesn't seem to be releasing them.

The parcel shelf and c-pillars are still available new from the dealer. They confirmed this for me today.

Last edited by ccrelan; 09-21-2017 at 07:03 PM.