C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Leaking oil from oil filter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clk 55 Amg 2001.
AMG 55 CLK

It’s leaking from the bottom where it meets the engine I’m assuming it’s the housing. It is very very difficult to find somebody who has the same car. I really need some help here gentleman
Old 12-20-2022, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by Clk55guy

It’s leaking from the bottom where it meets the engine I’m assuming it’s the housing. It is very very difficult to find somebody who has the same car. I really need some help here gentleman
It's largely the same setup from any V8 Mercedes from 1998 to 2002. A common cause here is the rubber gaskets as part of the oil filter housing. It uses engine coolant in the housing to warm/cool the oil. At least 2 of those gaskets harden over time and leak. You can easily remove the entire housing and split the housing in half to replace the gaskets, which are cheap.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:45 PM

Clk 55 Amg 2001.
Gasket clk 55 2001?

Originally Posted by Sulaco
It's largely the same setup from any V8 Mercedes from 1998 to 2002. A common cause here is the rubber gaskets as part of the oil filter housing. It uses engine coolant in the housing to warm/cool the oil. At least 2 of those gaskets harden over time and leak. You can easily remove the entire housing and split the housing in half to replace the gaskets, which are cheap.

Is this the gasket?
Old 12-20-2022, 11:54 PM

Clk 55 Amg 2001.
Gasket?

Old 12-21-2022, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 261 Likes on 221 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Have you read the whole thread? I would recommend you check all the suggested solutions first and come back if you haven't solved the issue. Just my 2p
Old 12-21-2022, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I went up and read the thread but this one is just a case of not tightening the filter cap enough (new one for me, there)

I'm guessing it could just be the oil cooler gaskets but I don't know enough about this fellows situation
Old 12-21-2022, 02:23 PM

Clk 55 Amg 2001.
Heard but heres the thing

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Have you read the whole thread? I would recommend you check all the suggested solutions first and come back if you haven't solved the issue. Just my 2p
First of all I just wanted to say that this community is way better than any social media I really appreciate you follow Mercedes drivers this is incredible information

Leak is clearly coming out of the bottom part of the rectangular box which I assume to be the housing right to the left of the oil filter

I would assume that since I moved up into cold-weather it being a Florida Mercedes the cold weather is constricting the gaskets and now I’ve perceived to see a leak

I’m going to try a few things but I am scheduled to bring it to the doctor tomorrow it’s the best piece of mine that I have not being a mechanic

Any information or suggestions will not be disregarded. Ty. Merry Christmas to you guys I hope I get her back on the road soon it’s a sexy car
The following users liked this post:
Sulaco (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 03:42 PM

Clk 55 Amg 2001.
Gasket seal leak

I went up and read the thread but this one is just a case of not tightening the filter cap enough (new one for me, there)

I'm guessing it could just be the oil cooler gaskets but I don't know enough about this fellows situation
I appreciate all the good information I’ll look again when I get home but more than certain it’s coming from the seal from a contracting from the weather here. I’ll keep you guys posted if you have any recommendations please let me know. Does anybody know how much something like this should cost FYI like a ballpark?
Old 12-21-2022, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The gaskets are both cheap, at around $9 I think.

I'm fairly certain the housing can be taken apart without having to disassemble the front of the car. As in, I don't think you need to remove the radiator for this job.

What can go wrong is the bolts that hold the 2 halves of the housing together can break due to being aluminum and old/siezed. If that happens, the entire housing is only about $80 for the OEM part, and pretty easy to swap out. If your mechanic comes back with some $1,000 repair bill I would be highly suspicious. But I always DIY and this job was particularly easy.
Old 12-22-2022, 07:27 PM

Clk 55 Amg 2001.
55 belt and gasket

The gaskets are both cheap, at around $9 I think.

I'm fairly certain the housing can be taken apart without having to disassemble the front of the car. As in, I don't think you need to remove the radiator for this job.

What can go wrong is the bolts that hold the 2 halves of the housing together can break due to being aluminum and old/siezed. If that happens, the entire housing is only about $80 for the OEM part, and pretty easy to swap out. If your mechanic comes back with some $1,000 repair bill I would be highly suspicious. But I always DIY and this job was particularly easy.

Not only do the gaskets need to be replaced in the oil housing, but the bell is rubbing against the radiator hose is causing a slit. $1000 for both jobs with a new belt a new hose in new gaskets with oil change I scheduled it it’s happening as we speak 400 for the housing but then he encouraged and proceeded with this video to show me that this needed to be done as well for 600 additional
Old 12-23-2022, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's an $80 belt that can be changed in an hour.

If you're not comfortable with DIY work, then you have no choice but to pay someone who will bill you based on book time. I can't speak as to whether or not that's what the book stipulates for the job. Book time might be 3 hours but a competent mechanic can do both jobs in under an hour. Who knows? I don't know your mechanic so I won't even begin to try and comment.

That belt rubbing on the power steering pulley happens surprisingly often. The problem is with the mounts on the radiator. If they're not installed, popped lose, or etc then the whole radiator/condenser assembly can lean back and rub against that pulley. Replacing the hose is one thing, but the problem will return in short order if he doesn't fix why it was rubbing against the pulley. The radiator assembly needs to be moved forward.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:25 AM

Clk 55 Amg 2001.
Belt

That's an $80 belt that can be changed in an hour.

If you're not comfortable with DIY work, then you have no choice but to pay someone who will bill you based on book time. I can't speak as to whether or not that's what the book stipulates for the job. Book time might be 3 hours but a competent mechanic can do both jobs in under an hour. Who knows? I don't know your mechanic so I won't even begin to try and comment.

That belt rubbing on the power steering pulley happens surprisingly often. The problem is with the mounts on the radiator. If they're not installed, popped lose, or etc then the whole radiator/condenser assembly can lean back and rub against that pulley. Replacing the hose is one thing, but the problem will return in short order if he doesn't fix why it was rubbing against the pulley. The radiator assembly needs to be moved forward.
There is really not much I can do I don’t have the tools and I’m not built to fix cars I only know how to drive a Mercedes and look good in it lol

$1000 to have it done in my mind isn’t too bad

I will mention that the hose needs to be clamped back or the issue needs to be resolved from the source for sure

I wish I could do this on my own and save the $900 but unfortunately I can’t
The following users liked this post:
Sulaco (12-23-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 05:22 PM

Clk 55 Amg 2001.
55 gas leak

Originally Posted by peppyhead
just changed the oil 2 weeks ago and noticed it's leaking from the top of the oil filter cap? Looks like it's sweating. I tightened it when I changed the filter but not sure what's going on? Anyone have this issue?
Filter was Mercedes oem.
here are some pics

Hello everybody forgive me I’m still learning how to use this website I can’t seem to make my own topic I have to attach myself from other people. I have a CLK 55 AMG class I just had an oil pump housing issue fixed and now I’m moving onto the gas leak where there is a nipple that comes out near the fuel regulator?

I really need some help with this one, the mechanic has no idea what it is and they’re trying to quote me for a 10 hour labor job plus a new gas tank. The gas tank from what I’m being told is fine and able to be in working use, I know that some of you are going to say it’s extremely dangerous please hold your breath I’m already aware. Does anybody know about a silicone nipple that leaks a little bit of gas as a safety or a moving or working part on a Benz?

Was told the fuel regulator might be bad because it takes a couple of times to turn my car. And sometimes my gas light will come on even with a half a tank.

Every single pump that I use it’s always stopped after I pump about a dollar or two..

I’m currently using a funnel so I can have the gas free pouring instead of having the interruption as if there is Air in the tank….

Again I’m very new to this website if someone can post this in another forum where it belongs I’d appreciate it. I did write it here because you guys have helped me I haven’t been cleared by the admin to my knowledge… ty!!!

Old 12-29-2022, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wait. Is it leaking fuel onto the engine? In the engine bay at all? Or at the fuel filler where you put gas in the car?
Old 12-30-2022, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 284 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Sounds like a fuel regulator/sending unit is bad. I had the same symptoms when fueling up although I didnt have any fuel leaks