Anyone Have A Smart Garage Door Opener?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 95 Posts
c43
Anyone Have A Smart Garage Door Opener?

If yes what's the brand and model number?

I'm looking for the opener to work with our cars. And has to have a camera and alarm.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,846 Likes on 2,571 Posts
2019 C63CS
I do, but I didn't replace my existing Liftmaster and instead added the Chamberlain Smart Garage Control, so everything as far as my cars is concerned stays the same. They can still open the garage via Homelink, but even if you buy an entire new smart opener, all of them still support Homelink. Cameras can be added as well. I don't have a camera, but it can be paired in the myQ app or if you have a smart home then the cameras will essentially be integrated into the security system of your home. I don't know about alarm tied to the garage door opener, but you can configure notifications in the myQ app for when the garage door is opened/closed and/or left open for a set amount of time.

Ultimately, my smart garage door is integrated into the rest of my smart home and I can control everything via Apple Homekit. With one tap on my phone it closes my garage door, locks all the smart locks and arms the alarm system. Similarly when I come home I can tap one button and the garage opens, alarm system disarms and the door to the house unlocks. This takes a bit more work, though as integrating devices from different vendors still requires bridges. Chamberlain used to sell a Homekit bridge, but it was aweful. I use the open source Homebridge.io running on a Raspberry Pi to integrate my Ring, Nest and myQ devices with Homekit.

Thanks to Homekit I can now also open/close the garage door from CarPlay, so whenever I have a service loaner I don't have to carry a remote or get out of the car to open my garage. I can just do it from within CarPlay, or obviously directly on the phone as well. The whole thing is geofenced, so the garage door pops up in the CarPlay dashboard as soon as I approach my house, and my phone brings up a prompt asking if I want to open the garage etc.

https://www.myq.com/products/smart-garage-control

Last edited by superswiss; 04-18-2023 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 95 Posts
c43
superswiss Thank you for the info! And only 30 bucks that's a deal. Really appreciate the help. I'm going to pick it up today.

For your help if you ever need one of my custom air boxes let me know I will cut you a deal. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
DRBC43AMG (04-20-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 10:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,534 Likes on 2,155 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by superswiss
I do, but I didn't replace my existing Liftmaster and instead added the Chamberlain Smart Garage Control, so everything as far as my cars is concerned stays the same. They can still open the garage via Homelink, but even if you buy an entire new smart opener, all of them still support Homelink. Cameras can be added as well. I don't have a camera, but it can be paired in the myQ app or if you have a smart home then the cameras will essentially be integrated into the security system of your home. I don't know about alarm tied to the garage door opener, but you can configure notifications in the myQ app for when the garage door is opened/closed and/or left open for a set amount of time.

Ultimately, my smart garage door is integrated into the rest of my smart home and I can control everything via Apple Homekit. With one tap on my phone it closes my garage door, locks all the smart locks and arms the alarm system. Similarly when I come home I can tap one button and the garage opens, alarm system disarms and the door to the house unlocks. This takes a bit more work, though as integrating devices from different vendors still requires bridges. Chamberlain used to sell a Homekit bridge, but it was aweful. I use the open source Homebridge.io running on a Raspberry Pi to integrate my Ring, Nest and myQ devices with Homekit.

Thanks to Homekit I can now also open/close the garage door from CarPlay, so whenever I have a service loaner I don't have to carry a remote or get out of the car to open my garage. I can just do it from within CarPlay, or obviously directly on the phone as well. The whole thing is geofenced, so the garage door pops up in the CarPlay dashboard as soon as I approach my house, and my phone brings up a prompt asking if I want to open the garage etc.

https://www.myq.com/products/smart-garage-control

Now that is smart.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 146 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
So does it make the buttons on my 99 C43's rear view mirror control my garage doors? They're liftmaster something or other from 2016 and I can't program my cars to control them.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Sulaco
So does it make the buttons on my 99 C43's rear view mirror control my garage doors? They're liftmaster something or other from 2016 and I can't program my cars to control them.
No, you need this instead. The Homelink in older cars is not compatible with the new Security+ 2.0 protocol in openers manufactured after 2011.

https://www.liftmaster.com/homelink-...OMELINK+RPTRMC
Old 05-08-2023, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, you need this instead. The Homelink in older cars is not compatible with the new Security+ 2.0 protocol in openers manufactured after 2011.

https://www.liftmaster.com/homelink-...OMELINK+RPTRMC
can I get both and have the phone-controlled capability and w202-controlled capability?
Old 05-08-2023, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Sulaco
can I get both and have the phone-controlled capability and w202-controlled capability?
Yes, you can. You may wanna check if your opener has MyQ support built-in already. It came out in 2013.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, you can. You may wanna check if your opener has MyQ support built-in already. It came out in 2013.
I've tried. Mine has no smart functions. The MyQ app can't talk to it.