C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

help!!! got a ticket for no front plate in SF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
help!!! got a ticket for no front plate in SF

Ok this may be more for the Ca guys, but what do u do if u get a ticket for not hving a front licence plate? and out of all things, I got it from a meter maid giving out parking tickets!!! I heard that if your car is not equipped with a front mount or bracket, u don't need one. Can I fight this bc there isn't a bracket or mounting holes for mine?
Old 12-03-2004, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320wz
i'm sorry to say i think your days of driving without a front plate are numbered. i heard that it's very easy to get cited for not having a front plate in SF
Old 12-03-2004, 08:46 PM

1996 C36
You will somehow have the mount the plate if you have to prove that the infraction has been fixed. I hear that even if you fix the problem the ticket is still close to $100. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by knvs
I heard that if your car is not equipped with a front mount or bracket, u don't need one. Can I fight this bc there isn't a bracket or mounting holes for mine?

You heard wrong. The law in California is that you must display a FRONT and REAR plate mounted in accordance to the appropriate vehicle code section.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
It's the law that you have to have it on your car, even if you didn't have the mounting plate for it, then it's your responsiblity to go get one for your car in order to mount the plate.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
yeah..

but is it also not true that on cars manufactured and sold with only the rear license plate prior to the date this particular law was signed in can get by with only one license plate in the rear.

btw...one of the reasons two plate are necessary is the cameras in place at certain intersections... they take a pic in front and in back...so need both license plates...
Old 12-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by steve s
yeah..
but is it also not true that on cars manufactured and sold with only the rear license plate prior to the date this particular law was signed in can get by with only one license plate in the rear.

The law is that if you were issued two plates, you shall display two plates.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:38 AM

the dpt will mail you a citation with a line in the back for correctable violations, which yours is.

just figure out a way to zip tie your front plate to your grill temporarily, then bring it to any police station and get it signed off. send it in with a check for the $10 fix it ticket fee and you will be fine. the taravel street police station is pretty cool about it. i used to always get front plate tickets in my old car (a '93 mazda rx7), and that station never gave me any trouble. as long as it's mounted somehow, its fine. they dont care if you use zip ties or screw it in. once the officer didnt even come outside to check it, he just signed it off for me.

not that i advocate it or anything, but once you get an officer's signature and "star number" on the back side of your ticket, you might want to make a photocopy of it so if it ever happens again, you could "get it signed off" from the comfort of your own home. they dont check.

good luck, and whatever you do, dont drill holes in your front bumper like an idiot.