Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C43 Rocking Back and Forth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:32 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
This can happen at highway speeds as well. I was in the fast lane and a super slow moving G35 cut me off - so I hard braked and switched lanes very quickly. The car downshifted, and immediately mashed the throttle to get back up to the speed of traffic...but the transmission had other things in mind.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 G63
Originally Posted by DameMD
I don't think mercedes-AMG made the sport+ mode to do lazy driving i.e. stop-and-go where you actually need 1st gear unless you are at a complete stop. I mean the gearing is already short, and sport+ makes it shift faster and keeps the revs high. I only use sport+ when I really want to let loose with my right foot as I know the shifting is already jerky. Since, I too experienced the jerky 2-1 slow down, I try not to keep decelerating and accelerating at very low speeds where I know the transmission is trying to hunt for 1st gear. I still use Sport+ 90% of the time in the city but I watch my RPMS and gearing now, and I haven't had the jerkiness since I changed my driving habits.
What you're talking about has nothing to do with the problem being discussed. Your explaining a transmission in sport+ mode, working as intended. Shifts will be harder, RPMS will grow before gear changes, and occasionally the gears will do something funky when you baby the throttle, but your car will never violently shake back and forth where the only resolution is to take your foot off the gas or to switch to comfort mode. That's the issue that some of us are having. It's not to be mistaken with regular characteristic of a transmission in sport/sport+ and it's certainly nothing to do with driving habits.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:08 AM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
This can happen at highway speeds as well. I was in the fast lane and a super slow moving G35 cut me off - so I hard braked and switched lanes very quickly. The car downshifted, and immediately mashed the throttle to get back up to the speed of traffic...but the transmission had other things in mind.
That's when it gets dangerous because you could have a dead throttle amidst a lane switch with incoming traffic
Old 05-17-2017, 03:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lexus IS350; BMW 330i
Originally Posted by stillcap2
Hi all - I received my C43 coupe a few weeks ago, and generally it has been a pleasure to drive. I am, however, having one issue that seems to come up in S+. Sometimes when I am accelerating from a stop (even at normal/soft accelerations), the car starts rocking/jerking back and forth about 2-6 times like it is stuck and unable to switch gear. It also actually won't go forward more than a few feet when this is happening, even though my foot is on the accelerator. I take my foot off the accelerator and, once the rocking has stopped, reapply and it goes forward fine.

Similarly, when coming to a stop in S+, the car will jerk back and forth very noticeably/uncomfortably. It seems to be more than just a regular downshift. This happens when I slowly come to a stop over a longer distance. Can't remember if it happens when I come to an abrupt stop.

I'm not sure if this is normal, something I am doing wrong, or an issue with my car. This is my first sports car, so I haven't run into anything like this before. Would appreciate if anyone has any suggestions/advice. Thanks in advance!
this is from the original op... pretty consistent with what I described above.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:30 PM

2019 G63
I've been having the same issue with my GLC43 and figured I'd give an update on this.

I brought the car in and drove it with the tech in the car. Was able to replicate the severe jerking/jolting/bucking within 5 minutes. Tech agreed that it's not normal immediately. They did an update of some sort that they thought might fix it. I got the car back. Next day I started having the same problem. It's been a week and I've been able to replicate the issue several times in Sport+. I want to say it's happening less as of this update but that might be me compensating for the onset of the bucking.

Either way... looks like it's going to have to go back in. Super choked. Not only does it make the most fun part of the car unreliable but also dangerous. Confidence in an easy solution is now zero.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:49 PM
l3m

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by darkh0rse
I've been having the same issue with my GLC43 and figured I'd give an update on this.

I brought the car in and drove it with the tech in the car. Was able to replicate the severe jerking/jolting/bucking within 5 minutes. Tech agreed that it's not normal immediately. They did an update of some sort that they thought might fix it. I got the car back. Next day I started having the same problem. It's been a week and I've been able to replicate the issue several times in Sport+. I want to say it's happening less as of this update but that might be me compensating for the onset of the bucking.

Either way... looks like it's going to have to go back in. Super choked. Not only does it make the most fun part of the car unreliable but also dangerous. Confidence in an easy solution is now zero.
I mentioned this in post #50. Have your MB tech open a service case (so-called "TIPS"). This will notify MB/AMG so can they can further investigate the issue.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43 amg
Friends, I have similar experiences with my c43 in S+ mode. This bucking back and forth is more evident when I come to a hard stop, however it has happened on gentle stops as well. I've been keeping an eye on it for about a month now and here are some of my observations:

- I suspect that this is happening because the vehicle is trying to maintain a higher RPM
- it only happens in Sport +
- it will happen on hard stop without slow ease of brake
- using manual control of gears can significantly reduce this

I realized that S+ is more of a marketing option made to be louder and more aggressive sounding. It is less refined than Sport mode, the automatic gear changes are not as precise as Sport mode and is annoying at times. However, this can all be negated if you choose to drive in manual on sport+, which I love doing!
Old 07-15-2017, 02:35 AM

GLC 43
I got a GLC 43 with the 9 speed tranny for a few months already and Im experiencing similar symptoms with the car rocking back and forth when accelerating hard in the first gear in sport or sport+. I went back to the dealers and test drove the c63s and GLE 63. they both drove fine I could smash the pedal in sport+ mode in first gear at a stop with no jerkiness.
so far the only way around it in sport mode for me is to hit the accelerator very gently until it hits the 2nd gear which i find is very stupid because what's the point of having an amg car if it cant be driven hard.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:55 AM

2019 G63
Originally Posted by lilfoxy
I got a GLC 43 with the 9 speed tranny for a few months already and Im experiencing similar symptoms with the car rocking back and forth when accelerating hard in the first gear in sport or sport+. I went back to the dealers and test drove the c63s and GLE 63. they both drove fine I could smash the pedal in sport+ mode in first gear at a stop with no jerkiness.
so far the only way around it in sport mode for me is to hit the accelerator very gently until it hits the 2nd gear which i find is very stupid because what's the point of having an amg car if it cant be driven hard.
Which is why I no longer own the GLC43. To the credit of my dealership, they gave me back nearly the full amount on trade in and I picked a new 2017 CLS550 of their lot. I'm once again happy as the CLS550 drives wonderfully and hasn't exhibited any issues so far.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:28 AM

C43
C43 same issue 'rodeo' effect

Hi All
We are UK based and have owned a C43 since Oct 16. We have this issue in all modes - Comfort / Sport and Sports +.
The car has been back to the dealership 3 times for the same issue and they've fiddled around with software updates and manually amending the gearbox to no avail. In fact, now our throttle is very unresponsive even in Comfort mode since the last fiddling took place.
We have now formally complained with our dealer who don't seem to give a toss and will be lodging a formal complaint with Mercedes directly today.
My partner is German and has looked at some German forums which nicely term this issue the 'rodeo' effect. A jarring back and forward when decelerating I.e into a roundabout or tight bend and accelerating again out when the car is at low revs. We can't reproduce it every time but it seems around when the car is rolling in low gear and reapply pressure to the accelerator. We have nearly had several accidents now with this as you get stuck in front of something you've seemingly pulled out in front of safely with the car bucking and jarring around whilst you have to take your foot of the accerator for it to find the gear it needs.
Our dealer tells us unless there is something formal lodged in their TIPS system at Mercedes they can't help us and they pay no attention to us gossiping on forums as 'we could write anything' - their exact words!
We are at the stage now where we have told them they either fix the car or we are returning it.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:52 AM

2019 G63
Originally Posted by Tracy Roman
Hi All
We are UK based and have owned a C43 since Oct 16. We have this issue in all modes - Comfort / Sport and Sports +.
The car has been back to the dealership 3 times for the same issue and they've fiddled around with software updates and manually amending the gearbox to no avail. In fact, now our throttle is very unresponsive even in Comfort mode since the last fiddling took place.
We have now formally complained with our dealer who don't seem to give a toss and will be lodging a formal complaint with Mercedes directly today.
My partner is German and has looked at some German forums which nicely term this issue the 'rodeo' effect. A jarring back and forward when decelerating I.e into a roundabout or tight bend and accelerating again out when the car is at low revs. We can't reproduce it every time but it seems around when the car is rolling in low gear and reapply pressure to the accelerator. We have nearly had several accidents now with this as you get stuck in front of something you've seemingly pulled out in front of safely with the car bucking and jarring around whilst you have to take your foot of the accerator for it to find the gear it needs.
Our dealer tells us unless there is something formal lodged in their TIPS system at Mercedes they can't help us and they pay no attention to us gossiping on forums as 'we could write anything' - their exact words!
We are at the stage now where we have told them they either fix the car or we are returning it.
Yup, that's an excellent explanation of the issue I had with mine. I feel for anyone stuck with one of these vehicles. I was lucky to get out of mine with minimal loss. I feel very hesitant about any Mercedes product after this fiasco. I've owned everything from BMWs to Porsches, and Mercedes has always had the most finicky transmissions from my experience. But this "rodeo" behavior is by far the worst and most dangerous I have experienced in any car. Worst of all, this is not only affecting C43s but the GLC43, and I suspect the other 43 variants too.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
I got this rocking every now and then, and had generally clunky transmission behavior in S and S+. The dealer installed the latest transmission software, which has greatly smoothed out the clunkiness and made S+ shifts under heavy throttle much snappier. Still too early to tell if it has addressed the rocking. If any of you have had this software update done and still get the rocking, you should ask your dealer to open a TIPS case.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:36 PM

GL350
Are there any updates on the jerking/rocking

Updates?
Old 09-14-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by malymabl97
Updates?
To update on my post, the transmission update only wound up making the rocking problem worse, though it improved transmission behavior overall. I sold the car shortly after because of this and a number of other quality issues.

I'd suggest posting on AMG Private Lounge, where Mercedes reps actually monitor the boards. They'll tell you to open a TIPS case with your dealer.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
TIPS is worthless as the shop manager has to admit he can't diagnose or repair the issue. TIPS is a sham.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:20 PM

c43
Hello Folks,

Any updates on this? I had similar issue twice I think and it is really bothering me. If I change to manual shift, is that possible that I can avoid this issue? I mean I can manually change from g1 to g2 instead of automatically go back and forth.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:29 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
There isn't a problem with the transmission. It's just how the car is made. Is it ideal for most people? probably not. You just have to learn to feather the gas, and you can always manually ship up to 2nd gear when it's happening.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:55 PM

328, C43 sedan
Could there be any connection with the traction control being deactivated? I don't have a c43 but I was test driving one today and this happened. It was on sport mode and TC was off. Then switch it back on and it seemed to resume but not sure if it was just a coincidence. It happened at a traffic light.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C43
+1 on this issue.

Also only happens in Sport+ mode from what I recall.

2018 C43 Sedan

For what it's worth the transmission has been flawless otherwise. Very impressed overall.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
My girlfriend drives my C43 very infrequently, but every time she does, this happens once (until she gets back into the hang of it).

After watching her very closely, it seems to be caused by not being very smooth / consistent with the throttle. She ends up lifting off / pressing down slightly in very quick succession while trying to correct it, causing the "rocking back and forth".
Old 11-11-2017, 08:14 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
PIO: pilot induced oscillation.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 Cab
Originally Posted by ShakyTom
My girlfriend drives my C43 very infrequently, but every time she does, this happens once (until she gets back into the hang of it).

After watching her very closely, it seems to be caused by not being very smooth / consistent with the throttle. She ends up lifting off / pressing down slightly in very quick succession while trying to correct it, causing the "rocking back and forth".
I agree This can happen to anyone due to powerful car and extremely low gearing in sport+ mode. It takes quite a bit of feel to drive this car in sports + mode. As the car downshifts aggressively there is a tendency for your weight to shift forward on the accelerator causing it to buck if you are not careful. I think there have been some transmission updates but it can occur with the transmission working correctly just based on physics. In sports + mode it is important to be smooth on the accelerator as the gearing is so low and the torque so high that the car will get very jerky at low speeds and it becomes difficult to keep steady on the accelerator. I think this the price of quickness.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 C43 Coupe, Iridium silver; 2017 GLC 300
Is this still a problem for 2018 c43 coupes/

Originally Posted by DRLC43
I agree This can happen to anyone due to powerful car and extremely low gearing in sport+ mode. It takes quite a bit of feel to drive this car in sports + mode. As the car downshifts aggressively there is a tendency for your weight to shift forward on the accelerator causing it to buck if you are not careful. I think there have been some transmission updates but it can occur with the transmission working correctly just based on physics. In sports + mode it is important to be smooth on the accelerator as the gearing is so low and the torque so high that the car will get very jerky at low speeds and it becomes difficult to keep steady on the accelerator. I think this the price of quickness.
Do folks agree this is caused by the driver?

Those who have a 2018 coupe, are you experiencing this herky, jerky motion in S+ as well or is it resolved?? I have a unit on order due in next month and if its still happenning will walk away and NOT take delivery.

Appreciate any input.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
Originally Posted by DRLC43

It's the price of a poorly calibrated electronic throttle map.
Mercedes can do better, sadly they have chosen not to in this case.....
Old 12-06-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 Cab
Originally Posted by 1Gunner

It's the price of a poorly calibrated electronic throttle map.
Mercedes can do better, sadly they have chosen not to in this case.....
I am not sure if someone is inadvertently pressing and letting up on the accelerator, which is what is happening in these situations, that is a throttle mapping issue?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C43 Rocking Back and Forth