Designo white interior staining?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 02:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43. 2006 Ford GT. 2017 Wrangler. 2010 S4
Designo white interior staining?

Hey guys,

Finalizing the details on my C43 order and just need to pick the interior color and decide whether to get any of the AMG exterior bits (optional splitter, side sills etc.). I like the black/white designo the best, but am a bit worried about the potential for staining. Does anyone have this interior with 10,000+ miles? The brown designo isn't bad, nor is the black with red accents (I am getting the performance seats so these are the three choices for real leather), but there's something about that black/white that just looks gorgeous in person. I appreciate any responses!
Old 11-23-2016, 02:26 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
i said it in another thread, I have it for nearly a year with nearly 30k km on it and its still holding up pretty good
Old 11-23-2016, 02:28 AM

C63S 2016
Also, if you coat the interior (at least the white parts of the seat, it would certainly be plus for you).
Old 11-23-2016, 09:20 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
If you wear blue jeans there's a strong possibility you will stain the leather... Been there done that! Bought the T-shirt..
Old 11-23-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
GTC Roadster
I got the dealer to do their "protection" application to the interior with a guarantee of no staining or they would replace the area of the problem.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:40 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
20 years ago, I had a car with white leather interior. I promised myself I would never own a car with a white leather interior again.
Everything shows - the slightest bit of dirt, blue dye from jeans...
Old 11-28-2016, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by SBH-
i said it in another thread, I have it for nearly a year with nearly 30k km on it and its still holding up pretty good
I appreciate your replies in both threads, it definitely gives me faith that yours is doing well. For me this will be a car I'm going to own for years (probably 6-7), so it is definitely a consideration of mine. When you say "pretty good," does that mean a bit of staining/wear? I don't expect them to be perfect of course, but would definitely like them to look as good as possible.

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
If you wear blue jeans there's a strong possibility you will stain the leather... Been there done that! Bought the T-shirt..
I don't wear jeans a ton but I do wear them sometimes, but that being said I rarely wear raw denim that will bleed, and if I do I don't think it would be a huge deal to put a t-shirt or towel on the seat in that limited circumstance. This was the one thing my sales assistant warned about though (wearing jeans).

Originally Posted by tblountman
I got the dealer to do their "protection" application to the interior with a guarantee of no staining or they would replace the area of the problem.
I'll have to ask my sales assistant if my dealership can do this. He mentioned that they can do some kind of protective coating, but didn't mention any option of a guarantee of no staining (sounds like a pretty nice situation you have, if I can get the same then I'd have no worries about getting the black/white).

Originally Posted by looney100
20 years ago, I had a car with white leather interior. I promised myself I would never own a car with a white leather interior again.
Everything shows - the slightest bit of dirt, blue dye from jeans...
I'd like to think that the leather protector has advanced enough in the past 20 years to stop light-colored leather from being as easy to stain, but that's why I started this thread, so I could see if it's been a big issue for people or if they've largely been able to use protectors to avoid stains and detailers to remove them when they do happen.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:25 AM

C63S 2016
Originally Posted by 303_AMG
I appreciate your replies in both threads, it definitely gives me faith that yours is doing well. For me this will be a car I'm going to own for years (probably 6-7), so it is definitely a consideration of mine. When you say "pretty good," does that mean a bit of staining/wear? I don't expect them to be perfect of course, but would definitely like them to look as good as possible.

well, I never wear jeans while driving the car. as you might/might not know, where I come from, we wear the long ankle length shirts or robes which acts as our national and formal clothing. so its at our advantage, I'm always wearing white therefore no stains
Old 11-29-2016, 01:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cl 65
just say no to a white interior especially if this is your daily. its going to drive you nuts. ive had a creme interior and that was awful after normal wear and tear sets in
Old 11-29-2016, 01:59 AM

C63S 2016
Originally Posted by fastlife23
just say no to a white interior especially if this is your daily. its going to drive you nuts. ive had a creme interior and that was awful after normal wear and tear sets in
but if its coated then it should be fine ?
Old 11-29-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
I have the platinum white/black nappa designo combination in my car. The look is amazing but maintaining it requires slightly more effort than black or brown leather in my opinion.

Blue jeans can/do stain it but that will come off easily. The worst stain I've had and removed successfully was from a very soft brown leather belt.

My go-to products for maintaining this car's leather are Leather Master Dye Transfer Cleaner, Sonax Premium Class Leather Cleaner (I use a Sonax brush to lightly agitate this in), and Sonax Premium Class Leather Care Cream.

I use the care cream monthly, the cleaner every three months, and transfer remover only when needed.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:19 AM

C63S 2016
Originally Posted by silver_metallic
I have the platinum white/black nappa designo combination in my car. The look is amazing but maintaining it requires slightly more effort than black or brown leather in my opinion.

Blue jeans can/do stain it but that will come off easily. The worst stain I've had and removed successfully was from a very soft brown leather belt.

My go-to products for maintaining this car's leather are Leather Master Dye Transfer Cleaner, Sonax Premium Class Leather Cleaner (I use a Sonax brush to lightly agitate this in), and Sonax Premium Class Leather Care Cream.

I use the care cream monthly, the cleaner every three months, and transfer remover only when needed.
thanks for sharing buddy !
Old 12-01-2016, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by fastlife23
Well it isn't completely white, the side bolsters/headrests/back of the seats etc. are black as is the center console etc., and the white sections are perforated and the holes appear black to the eye which makes me think very small stains would be difficult to notice/spot, it is really just bigger stains that worry me. Something very small wouldn't bug me much, but big/obvious stains/discoloration would definitely not be fun.

Originally Posted by silver_metallic

Thank you for the reply! One of my relatives has a C300 with a very light colored tan interior (it's almost sand colored), which still looks excellent after 55,000 miles and 8 years of use; however, he has had to get it detailed numerous times to remove stains. That being said, I am totally fine with getting it detailed often, as long as its possible to remove stains. Permanent stains are what scares me, but your testimony is encouraging and exactly the experience I would hope to have. I am realistic regarding the fact that stains can/probably will happen, but as long as they can be removed then I'm game. I think the brown designo looks nice, but not nearly as good as the black/white, the brushed aluminum/carbon fiber just doesn't look as good with brown.