C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C43 sedan - Adding OEM PE after delivery?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
AMG C43 sedan
C43 sedan - Adding OEM PE after delivery?!

Is it possible to add the MB OEM AMG Performance Exhaust after the car is made and delivered? Has anybody asked MB about the cost?
Old 12-28-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Polar White C43 Sedan
This has been discussed somewhere around here and I think the result was waaaay to expensive to retrofit, if it was even possible at all.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 2015 GMC Sierra Denali
I've been wondering the same thing. I think the actual exhaust would be a piece of cake and certainly cost less than the aftermarket valvetronic options... the problem is coding the button in the center console..does anyone have an answer to wether this is possible??

Again I'm certain the PE will bolt right up and tie into the car from underneath no problem, but I don't have a clue when it comes to coding
Old 12-28-2016, 05:40 PM

AMG C43 sedan
Haven't seen a thread discussing it... perhaps it's somewhere.

If it really just bolts in, I don't think swapping a button and reprogramming the system should be that big of a deal. Unless it requires the extra swap of other modules in other parts of the system.

I didn't get a good definitive answer from the MB tech I talked to so I'm wondering if this has been asked by others. Since this is a new model, I don't know if all the techs know about the details but the first thing is whether they could even order the exhaust at all...
Old 12-28-2016, 05:44 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Nothing on these cars are just bolt on any more. Everything has to be integrated into the computer system so that you could select them in the command center. Even the performance exhaust will need to be controlled by the ECU. That will require a whole new system installed in your car through Mercedes Benz. That is the big hang-up
Old 12-28-2016, 05:55 PM

AMG C43 sedan
I agree that it should be controlled by the system. I just couldn't imagine why for the addition of an optional PE, they would build two separate systems!

My point being that I'd expect the connections (hardware) for this exhaust to already exist in the system and only a software update to the system would be required if it were to be added... but I don't know, maybe it's a different system altogether.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 2015 GMC Sierra Denali
Originally Posted by ASH_C43
I agree that it should be controlled by the system. I just couldn't imagine why for the addition of an optional PE, they would build two separate systems!

My point being that I'd expect the connections (hardware) for this exhaust to already exist in the system and only a software update to the system would be required if it were to be added... but I don't know, maybe it's a different system altogether.
This is exactly my thought...their is no way they designed the exhaust different. All the hangers etc should match up tit for tat, plug and play. And again I agree it should be a simple reprogram get the button functioning and away we go. My concern is that all the options and coding are vin locked and can't be messed with
Old 12-28-2016, 06:22 PM

2017 c63s
Originally Posted by ASH_C43

EVerything is integrated. You can't just install an exhaust and take it to a tech to change a small part of the code. The whole system would have to be wiped and a system that has the PE integrated would have to be used as well.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 CLA250, 2017 C43 Sedan(Arriving in March/April)
Why not get an after market system fitted? Some of them arguably sound better than the Mercedes performance exhaust.

In any case, you should ask your service/parts adviser but my feeling is that they probably wouldn't be warm to the idea.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
I still haven't seen any pics of the performance exhaust system. Anyone who has this system and a hoist should jack it up and take some pics ASAP.

So that I can look at them.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Dthquazi
EVerything is integrated. You can't just install an exhaust and take it to a tech to change a small part of the code. The whole system would have to be wiped and a system that has the PE integrated would have to be used as well.
And you base this opinion on specific expertise or experience coding and wrenching on MB vehicles?!
I didn't think so...

I seriously doubt that the exhaust features are vin locked similarly to the Command console. It's much more likely that the code for valve control just needs to be enabled. This would not be coded a la carte on a vehicle-to-vehicle basis. That would make no sense from a cost or practicality standpoint. Every software capability of a Command equipped C43 is going to be ubiquitous across all Command equipped vehicles of the same model year, regardless of whether they have the associated hardware or not. The "coding" that people refer to these kinds of cases is basically just flipping a toggle for a specific feature of an existing module.

Any C43 should be upgradeable to PE, but it's probably not cost effective compared to going aftermarket.

OTOH, a C450 most likely cannot be upgraded since none of the software controllers for the PE exist within the C450 ECU or the Command HMI for that matter.

If it were me, I'd just go with an aftermarket exhaust. There are a few options for valve controlled out there.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:19 AM

2017 c63s
Originally Posted by Mr. J
And you base this opinion on specific expertise or experience coding and wrenching on MB vehicles?!
I didn't think so...

I seriously doubt that the exhaust features are vin locked similarly to the Command console. It's much more likely that the code for valve control just needs to be enabled. This would not be coded a la carte on a vehicle-to-vehicle basis. That would make no sense from a cost or practicality standpoint. Every software capability of a Command equipped C43 is going to be ubiquitous across all Command equipped vehicles of the same model year, regardless of whether they have the associated hardware or not. The "coding" that people refer to these kinds of cases is basically just flipping a toggle for a specific feature of an existing module.

Any C43 should be upgradeable to PE, but it's probably not cost effective compared to going aftermarket.

OTOH, a C450 most likely cannot be upgraded since none of the software controllers for the PE exist within the C450 ECU or the Command HMI for that matter.

If it were me, I'd just go with an aftermarket exhaust. There are a few options for valve controlled out there.
OK smartass. Be the first to do it and prove me wrong instead of using your keyboard to say it is possible.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
Originally Posted by Dthquazi
OK smartass. Be the first to do it and prove me wrong instead of using your keyboard to say it is possible.
Would likely cost 300% more than just going with a true dual exhaust from AWE or the likes.

Wiring, center console change, actually premium of attempting to purchase the exhaust from MB, etc.

Not sure you could source the part, even.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by alexasa
Would likely cost 300% more than just going with a true dual exhaust from AWE or the likes.

Wiring, center console change, actually premium of attempting to purchase the exhaust from MB, etc.

Not sure you could source the part, even.
Yep^^. Even if MB sells the parts, they will cost 3x what they are worth.

It would be interesting to see a pinout of this. If the i/o can be matched and the code enabled via Xentry, you could potentially enable control of an aftermarket valved exhaust with the oem dash button. I think we can all agree that would be cool