Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust is going quieter and it is definitely not in my head

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 Wagon
Just had a software update to the engine and transmission to fix a rough idling issue. Car definitely running smoother now, but the exhaust is quieter. In comfort mode with the flaps open there are no pops or crackles. I used to get them going down hill at about 40km in second gear with no throttle. It was great, but now it's gone
S+ also seems a lot quieter, with the pops and bangs only happening when you drive aggressively.
I'm hoping that because the software update reset everything, it has some relearning to do and will go back to how it was...but from everyone else's comments I don't hold out much hope.
Is there anyway to see what software version your engine/transmission is running? Could dealer mode access that info?
Old 02-28-2017, 02:30 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MarkC63
Just had a software update to the engine and transmission to fix a rough idling issue. Car definitely running smoother now, but the exhaust is quieter. In comfort mode with the flaps open there are no pops or crackles. I used to get them going down hill at about 40km in second gear with no throttle. It was great, but now it's gone
S+ also seems a lot quieter, with the pops and bangs only happening when you drive aggressively.
I'm hoping that because the software update reset everything, it has some relearning to do and will go back to how it was...but from everyone else's comments I don't hold out much hope.
Is there anyway to see what software version your engine/transmission is running? Could dealer mode access that info?
The after sound you're describing is how my car has always sounded. I'm really hoping for an update for some off throttle pops and bangs! Right now mine only bangs on hard upshift in sport+ and off throttle at high revs, and both times it's only one bang. Here's hoping for a software update!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
Hmm..Maybe I need to turn my car for an update cuz I feel that my AWE Tuning touring exhaust is getting too loud at times...
Old 03-13-2017, 03:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 Wagon
I'm happy to report the exhaust is back! It seems it just needed to learn my driving style or something after the upgrade reset everything. S+ is sounding amazing, with some seriously loud pops and bangs when you take your foot off the throttle. Normality has been restored!
Old 03-13-2017, 03:42 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
My car has just come back from a service and I'm not sure if it's in my head or not, but it definitely seems to pop and bang a bit more.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Sorry to bring back an old thread.

@munis, did you manage to solve the problem?

I always found that after I fuel up, I use Shell 91, the car gets louder. Both exhaust and engine noise. Could be the cold fluid running through the system.

My car does not have the fuel system update, does anyone know exactly what that changes? I want to get it just to have the latest software but as most of you have experienced, nagging dealers is the only way...
Old 12-09-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Going to revive this thread to see if anyone has a fix. Had the fuel management update done about 2 months ago and the exhaust is still substantially quieter than my first 2 years with the car. It still pops and bangs like its nobodies business, but definitely a lot less frequent than before. In S+, the burble would trigger anywhere above 3500 rpm with a tip tap of the gas....not any more though. Also, the shrillness of the pop is definitely less too. Merc nerfed it??? Hoping someone has found a fix...
Old 12-10-2018, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
Going to revive this thread to see if anyone has a fix. Had the fuel management update done about 2 months ago and the exhaust is still substantially quieter than my first 2 years with the car. It still pops and bangs like its nobodies business, but definitely a lot less frequent than before. In S+, the burble would trigger anywhere above 3500 rpm with a tip tap of the gas....not any more though. Also, the shrillness of the pop is definitely less too. Merc nerfed it??? Hoping someone has found a fix...
I had the fuel pump update done and it did not change anything for me personally. But I have figured it out why the car gets quieter in winter properly now. The car will be loudest as long as the ambient temp is between 5C to 15C. Anything below 5C causes the car to pull back timing, as well as fueling as well cause the air gets too dense below 5C in winter, so the car starts running leaner, so ECU compensates by cutting timing. So car will actually feel slower in really cold temps as well. If the car feels slow, so will the engine sound be less pronounced. Just a characteristic of the car. If temp is above 15, the engine cooling fan starts turning on very late, so engine temps start climbing and ECU will cut timing again and car will sound quiet.

I found that if I continuously run map 5 or 7 with my JB4 though (and ECU adapts), the car will pulls like it has a deathwish on it and sound effing loud until the temp drops below 0C. If I switch back to stock, car becomes quiet below 5C again.
The following users liked this post:
jonathan358 (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Originally Posted by munis
I had the fuel pump update done and it did not change anything for me personally. But I have figured it out why the car gets quieter in winter properly now. The car will be loudest as long as the ambient temp is between 5C to 15C. Anything below 5C causes the car to pull back timing, as well as fueling as well cause the air gets too dense below 5C in winter, so the car starts running leaner, so ECU compensates by cutting timing. So car will actually feel slower in really cold temps as well. If the car feels slow, so will the engine sound be less pronounced. Just a characteristic of the car. If temp is above 15, the engine cooling fan starts turning on very late, so engine temps start climbing and ECU will cut timing again and car will sound quiet.

I found that if I continuously run map 5 or 7 with my JB4 though (and ECU adapts), the car will pulls like it has a deathwish on it and sound effing loud until the temp drops below 0C. If I switch back to stock, car becomes quiet below 5C again.
Thank you bud - this is a great answer! Appreciate the detailed response.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:40 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe

Funny enough, I just played with my car today and it was super quiet. Can confirm what he says for the winter conditions is plausible. Same with his comments on warmer temperatures too.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
Noticed something similar over the last couple nights in SoCal. We usually keep warmer temps year round but at night in December we get into those ranges and wow, did it sound awesome! 👍 Much more pronounced, louder, and deeper. I personally notice the car must be at ideal temp ranges to get best sound, but that’s me.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C450

I know you had a reply that was pretty specific but I recently just got an update last week and my car is noticeably much quieter and I was wondering if anyone has found a fix or if theres a way to get mercedes to fix this.. they've already told me the update they did wouldnt have done anything to the loudness of the car but its noticeably quieter.. feel like I'm going crazy but I bought the car for the cracks and pops. I want them back any info helps! Weather conditions havent chanced much here in the past week so I know it has to do with the recent update
Old 11-11-2019, 07:45 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2020 MB-AMG GLC43
I'm no physicist, but the below post seems like an interesting read that might back up this theory to some extent.

Why do cold metal plates make less noise?

If the backfire sounds less pronounced, it could be that the cold metal is dampening the sound quite a bit. I guess we are both stuck waiting for warmer weather to test this theory
I live in a cold climate. I can tell you the colder weather makes it louder. Every time summer approaches mine quietens noticeably.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:47 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2020 MB-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz
Particularly with aftermarket exhausts there is sometimes packing material in mufflers that breaks in. Even with OE exhausts simply heat cycling everything, burning off packing grease, and adding some carbon can change things.

Are you throwing the car in Sport+ when you use high octane gas, but not low octane?
Not just muffler materials. I ran J Pipes on my E550 (so no muffler) and the sound still evolved over time. I have some recordings that show it.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 lol
My car would be hitting 5000km in a day or two and it has been 2 months since I got it. I made a video of me driving in sports+ a month after I got it and I made another one day before yesterday. You can definitely see the difference between them. The exhaust isn't as raspy anymore. The bangs on upshifts are getting quieter as well.

On a side note, if I do pump 94 octane, it does get much louder and kind of gets its voice back. But even then I feel it isn't as loud as before.

When I first got the car, it made a bunch of kids cry rivers because they though someone was shooting people around. Girls would scream in fear and boyfriends started to pull their girlfriends to the side of the road as if the car is going to explode.

All that still happens, but way fewer in number. And I am missing it. What gives?
I too have noticed that after 8000 km the car is farting less, upshift bangs are less pronounced and the car is less what I describe as "rorty." I like it better this way. I pretty much use Shell 91 exclusively, unless it's not available then I'll use Mohawk or PetroCanada 94.