Sponsored by:

C43 questions from potential buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8GT 6MT
C43 questions from potential buyer

hi everyone, new to MBWorld. my interest in the C43 brought me here. i had some questions that weren't answered through research and use of the website. i have connected with a local dealer here in the GTA (Toronto, Canada) but figured i'd post here to tap into all of y'all's experience and expertise.

1. Would like to understand the difference between the standard seat vs AMG seat--leaning towards standard seat here as I'd value ergonomics over sportiness--this will be my daily driver vs a track/weekend car

2. Would like to understand the AMG tuned exhaust option... pretty sure I've heard this one on a Youtube clip but would like to compare it to a standard exhaust. My understanding is that this feature is more about enjoyment than performance? Reviews for it have been largely positive, though.

3. Same goes for Burmester option--leaning towards the stock system here as well since I don't value any of the other options in the Premium Package. i've noticed reviews on MBWorld are generally positive for this option but here in Canada it's only available via the $4800 premium package and it's the only option in there that interests me

4. Night package is not well-explained on the site--just black trim around the exterior vs chrome?

5. What are the standard and "summer performance" tire options? Are run-flats mandatory? not a fan of run flats. prefer the 18" rims actually but would want them with summer rubber and would run dedicated winters in the winter

6. how do the all seasons and/or the AWD perform in snow... the only other AWD car i've driven was a '99 A4 quattro and i think that would have been closer to 50/50 or even a front wheel drive bias.

appreciate the input!

Last edited by matteo882; 04-14-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 C350 4matic coupe
I might be able to point you to an answer for your question 6. If the C43's 4matic system is similar to the GLC43......

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/merce...43-first-test/
The following users liked this post:
unr1 (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 12:43 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Is this for a coupe or sedan?
I'll try to answer a couple questions

2.) AMG exhaust is pure sound. No performance increase. There's a button which can open/close valves in the exhaust system to increase sound. Wether or not you enjoy it is up to you.

4.) skip to about 50 seconds in this vid to see the night package
Old 04-14-2017, 03:08 AM

Just to add some info for your first question. These guys at motor seem to like the amg seats and find them comfy.

https://www.motormag.com.au/reviews/...review-month-3
Old 04-14-2017, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
The standard seats are very comfy. Some people have complained about the firmness of the performance seats. If you are looking for comfort, save your cash and stick with the std seats.

Performance exhaust is awesome. Totally worth it.

The base audio system sucks. You will regret not getting the Burmester upgrade if you don't choose it.

Night package is black rear diffuser and front valence. All C43s come with black window trim regardless of package selection.

All OEM tires are run flats. This may vary by region but the 19s are always summer tires. I think the 18s are all seasons. I swapped the stock 19" conti runflats for Michelin Pilot AS3+ all seasons for the winter here. They work great in light snow and ice. For Canadian winters I would get the 19s with summer rubber and buy aftermarket rims for winter tires. There are a few threads on here about winter tire and wheel fitment. Just do a quick search.

The AWD did fine in the snow here. It is rear bias so if you stomp on the gas the rear can swing out a bit. This is actually helpful for cornering on packed snow and ice if you know what you're doing
Old 04-14-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 181 Likes on 142 Posts
2017 C43
I personally would choose the amg performance seats. I find them very comfortable and provide very secured support. Between spending on perf seats or perf exhaust, i'd go with the seats.

The burmester is ok, but again if its not important to you, go ahead and skip it.

Night package is exactly that, just trim and looks. If you're into the black out splitters and exhaust tips, you'll like it. If you're more into things having contrast, then skip that too. Again, you can save your money by not having this.

Yes, the c43 comes with run flats, summer or not. If you're leasing, just go with the stock wheels at no charge and change them to what you really want with the tires you prefer. Specially, if you intend to lower the car with h&r springs. Once your lease is up, slap everything back on and you're good to go. If you intend to keep it, then go with the rims you want, they're all amg wheels. But, keep in mind that the oem specs are on the conservative side. So, if you want wider wheels and tires, you'll have to upgrade. No matter what tires you prefer, the oem isn't designed to last long. They have a very low treadwear rating. Eventually you'll end up buying new tires.

What i wanted to know is if you're fine with just the led headlights or if you want the ILS instead. Some options are going to be included in a package that the ILS comes with, so you might not be able to get away with that.

If you'd rather save the money and live without the options, you should be able to get something that's already available on the lot. Specially, if you have no ext/int color combo preference.

Looks like you should be able to get a really good deal! Good luck!
Old 04-14-2017, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
I'm just here to offer my testimonial for the 4MATIC.

Coming from driving nothing but Audi's and Subaru's(the best AWD systems in the biz) the past 14 years, my car did NOT disappoint whatsoever this winter. I drive up to the ski resort here in Utah (LOTS of snow) and the thing performed amazingly. I did have Blizzaks on but as far as maintaining the power to the road and keeping the car poised, the car performed well beyond my expectations and I feel that it was surprisingly on par with the aforementioned AWD systems.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by matteo882
hi everyone, new to MBWorld. my interest in the C43 brought me here. i had some questions that weren't answered through research and use of the website. i have connected with a local dealer here in the GTA (Toronto, Canada) but figured i'd post here to tap into all of y'all's experience and expertise.

1. Would like to understand the difference between the standard seat vs AMG seat--leaning towards standard seat here as I'd value ergonomics over sportiness--this will be my daily driver vs a track/weekend car

2. Would like to understand the AMG tuned exhaust option... pretty sure I've heard this one on a Youtube clip but would like to compare it to a standard exhaust. My understanding is that this feature is more about enjoyment than performance? Reviews for it have been largely positive, though.

3. Same goes for Burmester option--leaning towards the stock system here as well since I don't value any of the other options in the Premium Package. i've noticed reviews on MBWorld are generally positive for this option but here in Canada it's only available via the $4800 premium package and it's the only option in there that interests me

4. Night package is not well-explained on the site--just black trim around the exterior vs chrome?

5. What are the standard and "summer performance" tire options? Are run-flats mandatory? not a fan of run flats. prefer the 18" rims actually but would want them with summer rubber and would run dedicated winters in the winter

6. how do the all seasons and/or the AWD perform in snow... the only other AWD car i've driven was a '99 A4 quattro and i think that would have been closer to 50/50 or even a front wheel drive bias.

appreciate the input!

1. Much more supportive. Love the sport seats. The extra bolsters are not intrusive at all.

2. Get the exhaust, please.

3. Get the Burmester Bargain and it looks really nice.

​​​4. Personal preference.

5. You are in Canada, get the summers because winter tires are more likely to be esssntial.

6. Had a C400 for three winters, with winters the car is unstoppable.

For 4800, premium package is a no brainer. Burmester, parktronic, NAV, Keyless Go, and on and on...it is a steal.
unr1 (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 05:36 PM

I agree, keyless go and parktronic make the premium package in Canada a good package. 360 camera can really come in handy.
I don't see how Burmester (although it looks nice) is the only option in the package you care for. But to each his own
Old 04-14-2017, 06:44 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by unr1
I agree, keyless go and parktronic make the premium package in Canada a good package. 360 camera can really come in handy.
I don't see how Burmester (although it looks nice) is the only option in the package you care for. But to each his own

Actually Nav and Keyless Go is the one I care for the most . Burmester is a bargain in the context of the package itself. The Active LED at 900 is also well worth it.
unr1 (04-14-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 10:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lexus IS350; BMW 330i
Basically it all comes down to this: get the drivers package that comes w/ the performance exhaust and lovely AMG steering wheel. The exhaust makes the car so fun to drive (yes I no that it doesn't actually add performance but it is like having an entertainment system with a 1000w subwoofer! It makes the experience!)

In order to get the driver package you need to get the premium package...

Night package depends on personal preference. I have it on my polar white and think it looks awesome. Just note that if you get the night package you have to get two-tone rims which cost another $500.
unr1 (04-15-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 04:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by triggerhappy
The [Performance] Exhaust makes the car so fun to drive (yes I no that it doesn't actually add performance but it is like having an entertainment system with a 1000w subwoofer! It makes the experience!)
Well Stated !!
Old 04-16-2017, 12:36 PM

2017 C43
Basically it all comes down to this: get the drivers package that comes w/ the performance exhaust and lovely AMG steering wheel. The exhaust makes the car so fun to drive (yes I no that it doesn't actually add performance but it is like having an entertainment system with a 1000w subwoofer! It makes the experience!)

Night package depends on personal preference. I have it on my polar white and think it looks awesome. Just note that if you get the night package you have to get two-tone rims which cost another $500.
Hey, since you have the PE, can you possibly take a pic of your center console command buttons? I don't have the PE, but i'm curious where the button would have been placed on mine since mine looks full.
Thanks!

Old 04-16-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8GT 6MT
thanks all for your responses. to answer a few of the questions/comments posed:

1. Is this for a coupe or sedan?

Definitely for sedan. all part of my plan to convince the wife that this is the new 'family-oriented' vehicle i *need* to buy, you know, for the kids. hahha

2. The base audio system sucks. You will regret not getting the Burmester upgrade if you don't choose it.

fack. in canada this is chained to the premium package which is like $5K and doesn't have any other features that interest me. i think i saw it for about $1K on the US site and agree i'd definitely take it as a standalone option. all depends, i guess, on what vehicles are on lots here in the GTA and if dealers are willing to give me a good deal

3. Between spending on perf seats or perf exhaust, i'd go with the seats.

again here in canadia it seems like exhaust and steering wheel are combined with 19" wheels and summer rubber as a "AMG driver's package" so i could get the exhaust with those options and the seats separately for $2K or so. i'm not opposed to a "stiffer" seat... going for something that's going to be the best support for my back with all of the long trips that i do. seems like both seats would probably do the trick. honestly not a fan of the alcantara on the AMG steering wheel--i think it looks and wears cheaply but that's a matter of opinion.

4. You are in Canada, get the summers because winter tires are more likely to be esssntial.

yeah that's what i currently do... dedicated PS3 summers and dedicated winters on separate rims. might as well get better summers if you're going to switch tires in the winter.

5. Had a C400 for three winters, with winters the car is unstoppable.

can't wait. my RWD genny is a mess when it snows, even with snow tires lol. i've never been so afraid of hills before...

6. keyless go and parktronic make the premium package in Canada a good package

i honestly only parallel park a few times a year and i'm decent at it so the camera and parktronic are really cool features but i definitely don't need them. i'll never use NAV because google maps is better, never use satellite radio because google music/my own collection are better, the rest just seem pretty inexpensive/unnecessary to me
Old 04-16-2017, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by mo11
Hey, since you have the PE, can you possibly take a pic of your center console command buttons? I don't have the PE, but i'm curious where the button would have been placed on mine since mine looks full.
Thanks!

The performance exhaust button would be where the on/off button is on your picture.. The on/off button is then integrated with the volume Scroller so if you push it down like a button, it shuts the command system off..you can also roll and forwards and backwards to adjust the volume when the system is on
Old 04-16-2017, 03:19 PM

2017 C43

Originally Posted by Gungaslow
The performance exhaust button would be where the on/off button is on your picture.. The on/off button is then integrated with the volume Scroller so if you push it down like a button, it shuts the command system off..you can also roll and forwards and backwards to adjust the volume when the system is on
oh, ok... i got it. Thanks! If i press on my volume scroller it just mutes the music... no wonder....
Old 04-16-2017, 10:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lexus IS350; BMW 330i

again here in canadia it seems like exhaust and steering wheel are combined with 19" wheels and summer rubber as a "AMG driver's package" so i could get the exhaust with those options and the seats separately for $2K or so. i'm not opposed to a "stiffer" seat... going for something that's going to be the best support for my back with all of the long trips that i do. seems like both seats would probably do the trick. honestly not a fan of the alcantara on the AMG steering wheel--i think it looks and wears cheaply but that's a matter of opinion.
I would suggest that you test drive an AMG c43 w/ and w/out the performance exhaust... and then go from there. Cause I would place a modest bet that after you drive the c43 w/ the performance exhaust all other options will be after thoughts.... until you do that no point trying to convince you that the performance exhaust is 4x better than the AMG seats...which look cool but it's hard to look at the seats while you are driving...
Old 04-16-2017, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
The seats do look cool, but that's about it. I'd go Performance exhaust all day everyday.

My brother has the AMG seats in his GLA45 and he regrets them and became well aware of his regret once I got my car and he sat in my sport seats. His are terribly uncomfortable when sitting in them for more than 30 minutes and they don't honestly "perform" better than the sport seats in any truly noticeable way.

But the minute you push the exhaust button and floor it.....
Old 04-17-2017, 01:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 C350 4matic coupe
Here's a silly question..... can the OP cross the border and buy the C43 in Buffalo NY, get a US spec'ed car optioned the way he wants, and bring it back to Canada?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Flarearrow
Here's a silly question..... can the OP cross the border and buy the C43 in Buffalo NY, get a US spec'ed car optioned the way he wants, and bring it back to Canada?
i remember people on the Acura forum wanting to do this but in reverse, bringing a Canadian car to the US. But after crunching the numbers it was an expensive solution.
I would imagine it would be the same thing to bring the car to Canada. But I can't say for certain.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 Cab
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
The seats do look cool, but that's about it. I'd go Performance exhaust all day everyday.

My brother has the AMG seats in his GLA45 and he regrets them and became well aware of his regret once I got my car and he sat in my sport seats. His are terribly uncomfortable when sitting in them for more than 30 minutes and they don't honestly "perform" better than the sport seats in any truly noticeable way.

But the minute you push the exhaust button and floor it.....
I have read a couple of reviews which state that the AMG upgrade seats are not as comfortable for long drives. I suppose this is all personal preference but I would not assume that the upgraded seats are necessary or even desirable unless you really try them out. I admit they do look good though.

Last edited by DRLC43; 04-17-2017 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-17-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Too many
sending a car from here to canada is possible, but with canadian dollar tanking, the other way is much better, have to pay 2.5 percent and deal with a company to get papers done
unr1 (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 01:44 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
thanks all for your responses. to answer a few of the questions/comments posed:

1. Is this for a coupe or sedan?

Definitely for sedan. all part of my plan to convince the wife that this is the new 'family-oriented' vehicle i *need* to buy, you know, for the kids. hahha

2. The base audio system sucks. You will regret not getting the Burmester upgrade if you don't choose it.

fack. in canada this is chained to the premium package which is like $5K and doesn't have any other features that interest me. i think i saw it for about $1K on the US site and agree i'd definitely take it as a standalone option. all depends, i guess, on what vehicles are on lots here in the GTA and if dealers are willing to give me a good deal

4. You are in Canada, get the summers because winter tires are more likely to be esssntial.

yeah that's what i currently do... dedicated PS3 summers and dedicated winters on separate rims. might as well get better summers if you're going to switch tires in the winter.

5. Had a C400 for three winters, with winters the car is unstoppable.

can't wait. my RWD genny is a mess when it snows, even with snow tires lol. i've never been so afraid of hills before...

6. keyless go and parktronic make the premium package in Canada a good package

i honestly only parallel park a few times a year and i'm decent at it so the camera and parktronic are really cool features but i definitely don't need them. i'll never use NAV because google maps is better, never use satellite radio because google music/my own collection are better, the rest just seem pretty inexpensive/unnecessary to me

I don't think the AMG Driver's Package can be had without the Premium Package? Looks like you choices may be quite limited with either the C43 with other options other than these two. Personally, even without the performance exhaust, it still sounds very nice, and different from my C400. Throatier, raspier.

As Triggerhappy said, drive them and you will pretty much make up your minds after on trip to 5000rpm.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
Originally Posted by mo11
Thanks!

Pictures usually worth 1000s of words, so here you go:

Old 04-17-2017, 03:19 PM

2017 C43
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Pictures usually worth 1000s of words, so here you go:

btw, when you start the car in sport+ and PE on, does the tach go up to +/- 2,000 rpm on the initial crank?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C43 questions from potential buyer