Sponsored by:

43 Engine Tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon 2017 BMW X5 3.5i 2012 BMW X5 3.0D and 2000 Porsche 911
43 Engine Tuning

Looking for input and to gain knowledge.

I live in a rural area with big winters and recently purchased a GLC 43. It is perfect for here. Very happy owner even if stick with car as is.

Yet, I am willing to take the warranty risk and am considering tuning options.

1. What are the differences between the ECU flash options and the "bolt on" boxes?

2. Is it worth it if all we have is 91 gas?

3. Does anyone have experience with tuning married to the new 9 speed transmission on the GLC?

Thank you!
Old 04-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
Originally Posted by rlevy
Looking for input and to gain knowledge.

I live in a rural area with big winters and recently purchased a GLC 43. It is perfect for here. Very happy owner even if stick with car as is.

Yet, I am willing to take the warranty risk and am considering tuning options.

1. What are the differences between the ECU flash options and the "bolt on" boxes?

2. Is it worth it if all we have is 91 gas?

3. Does anyone have experience with tuning married to the new 9 speed transmission on the GLC?

Thank you!

Congrats on the purchase! the 43 platform is great to daily drive and even greater to modify. ECU flash is a better route to take than the "bolt on boxes" that you mentioned. Those boxes are just amplifiers that take a couple fuel and boost tables and add a percentage. A full tune will modify the entire ECU and you will feel a more substantial power increase. I personally had my C43 tuned by AMR Performance. Their power gain is higher than anyone else's and software is lifetime warrantied, so I couldn't argue with it lol. As far as 91 octane, obviously you will not make as much power as 93, but you can still get tuned for that octane and make a great increase over stock. Also, the trans is addressed in the ECU tune (At least AMR's). With their tune I feel it shifting quicker and harder than stock. All around I love my car and if I had to recommend a company to tune your ECU, it would be AMR 110%!
The following 2 users liked this post by getmercd:
rlevy (04-23-2017), YoungLane (04-19-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts
c43 Amg coupe
I'm at AMR Performance right now having a tune and dyno done on my c43 coupe. Great guys!! Looking forward to the ride back to nj with my added power!
The following users liked this post:
AMR Performance (05-01-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:42 PM

Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
Originally Posted by DVision44
I'm at AMR Performance right now having a tune and dyno done on my c43 coupe. Great guys!! Looking forward to the ride back to nj with my added power!
Nice! That will be a fun ride home for sure lol
Old 04-17-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 M3 ZCP | 2017 Ford Explorer Base
What kind of #'s are you getting with the AMR ECU flash? close to 400HP / what's it doing for your 0-60?
Old 04-19-2017, 06:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'17 AMG C43
Did they provide any graphs from the dyno session?
Old 04-19-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Mercedes E63 AMG
I have an AMR Performance tune on my E63 as well as 2 friends who have C43's and went with AMR. I can tell you, from what ive seen, what ive tested and what I have felt, that the AMR tunes are far more superior than other brands.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blacked out E63:
AMR Performance (05-01-2017), YoungLane (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 02:16 PM

c43 Amg coupe
Originally Posted by alwazsidwaz
Did they provide any graphs from the dyno session?
Here's my car on the dyno and the actual gains. Keep in mind my car was dyno'd with the dinantronics module before the tune. I believe it only gave me a 20hp boost.

The following 3 users liked this post by DVision44:
Biggreenogg (04-27-2017), Blacked out E63 (04-19-2017), YoungLane (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 02:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
those are great numbers but big dollars. They have good tunes though. if you just want something quick and easy, 2 min install for an extra 20hp or so look to the Dinan sport unit. Love mine and others are really happy with theirs as well. just a thought
Old 04-20-2017, 09:34 AM

Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
Originally Posted by subzero05
those are great numbers but big dollars. They have good tunes though. if you just want something quick and easy, 2 min install for an extra 20hp or so look to the Dinan sport unit. Love mine and others are really happy with theirs as well. just a thought
You get what you pay for lol I would not waste $300 just to get a few hp. I rather spend the money on a quality product......it is a Mercedes after all. You did not cheap out on buying the car so why cheap out on upgrading it. Plus 100hp and 130tq is much more noticeable than 20hp lmao
Old 04-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
18 MB E63S AMG - 17 MB C43 AMG - Much more!

I understand why it would be an eye catcher. Easy install for an easy "+20hp" but there is more to it than that.

The unit just manipulates boost. The problem with doing this is the safety requirements and limiters in the ECU no longer monitor what the "correct" boost levels are due to the box sending a mixed signal telling the ECU its running lower boost than it actually is in order to inaccurately raise the engines boost levels.

Spending $300 for maybe +20hp and eliminating safety factors as well as limiters is not something I would jump on for a 55k+ car.

Originally Posted by getmercd
You get what you pay for lol I would not waste $300 just to get a few hp. I rather spend the money on a quality product......it is a Mercedes after all. You did not cheap out on buying the car so why cheap out on upgrading it. Plus 100hp and 130tq is much more noticeable than 20hp lmao

I would have to agree with you. You get what you pay for so when the end result is not what you asked for or their is a failure rate, you can only blame yourself.

- Robert
Old 04-20-2017, 10:50 AM

CL500
Originally Posted by getmercd

fair enough, but to imply that Dinan isn't a quality product seems quite shortsided. It may be in-expensive, but some may not want to spend that much on a full flash tune such as AMR. Dinan has been tuning BMW's for like 30+ years and has a warranty program that is 2nd to none on those products . I would think at some point they will do the same on our cars in the future as well if there is merit to do so. No disrespect to AMR, im sure its good stuff, but while the Dinan sport unit is quite the in-expensive piece, I hardly think it would cause a failure based on their knowledge and experience in the tuning world and relatively certain they are every bit as capable as any other tuner in the market should they move to higher end products. just my 2 cents
Old 04-20-2017, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Here's my car on the dyno and the actual gains. Keep in mind my car was dyno'd with the dinantronics module before the tune. I believe it only gave me a 20hp boost.
Can you clarify your post? You say that you only believe that it gave you a 20hp gain? But the video says 90/120?

What were all the numbers before and after and do you have the graphs?
Old 04-20-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
fair enough, but to imply that Dinan isn't a quality product seems quite shortsided. It may be in-expensive, but some may not want to spend that much on a full flash tune such as AMR. Dinan has been tuning BMW's for like 30+ years and has a warranty program that is 2nd to none on those products . I would think at some point they will do the same on our cars in the future as well if there is merit to do so. No disrespect to AMR, im sure its good stuff, but while the Dinan sport unit is quite the in-expensive piece, I hardly think it would cause a failure based on their knowledge and experience in the tuning world and relatively certain they are every bit as capable as any other tuner in the market should they move to higher end products. just my 2 cents
Dinan's warranty on its piggyback for these cars is the same as every other tuner's: tough @$%^ if your car breaks and the dealer denies warranty coverage. There's no warranty program like they offer for their BMW tuning.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:23 PM

c43 Amg coupe
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
Can you clarify your post? You say that you only believe that it gave you a 20hp gain? But the video says 90/120?

What were all the numbers before and after and do you have the graphs?
Huh?? The tune gain is clearly stated in the video. The dinantronics module i had prior to the tune only gave me a 20hp gain.

When i installed the dinan module i found myself switching through modes to see if i was really noticing a difference. With the tune i was wow'd the moment i stepped on the gas!

Also i didn't mention my car was running Shell 93. I can't see the dinan doing much at all for folks who can only get 91.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:44 PM

CL500
Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz
Dinan's warranty on its piggyback for these cars is the same as every other tuner's: tough @$%^ if your car breaks and the dealer denies warranty coverage. There's no warranty program like they offer for their BMW tuning.

yes you are correct, but for 300 bucks that's pretty inexpensive and I hardly think Dinan would release anything that could jeopardize your engine.
Plus, there is rumor on the street they are going to release fully warranted piggybacks for our cars.. that is where it will really get interesting
Old 04-20-2017, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Keep in mind boys that Dinan isn't the only Piggy option. There is also BMS that seems pretty legit.

Huh?? The tune gain is clearly stated in the video. The dinantronics module i had prior to the tune only gave me a 20hp gain.

When i installed the dinan module i found myself switching through modes to see if i was really noticing a difference. With the tune i was wow'd the moment i stepped on the gas!
Oh OK, I read that quickly and thought you were talking about....eh never mind.

So your car gained EXACTLY 90hp & 120tq? I figure not which is why I asked for actual numbers and possibly dyno sheets. Also, did you dyno the car before the AMR tune? Thank you
Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 PM

c43 Amg coupe
I had 3 runs done. Once with the dinan module, one stock, and lastly with the amr tune. I don't have the sheets for the 1st two runs but had 300hp at the wheels stock on the dyno dynamics. Anyway dyno's are nothing more than tuning tools. Numbers are great but the proof is in the pudding at the track.

Attached is my sheet after the AMR tune

Last edited by DVision44; 04-20-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
390 - 300 = 90
Old 04-21-2017, 12:23 AM

C43
I had 3 runs done. Once with the dinan module, one stock, and lastly with the amr tune. I don't have the sheets for the 1st two runs but had 300hp at the wheels stock on the dyno dynamics. Anyway dyno's are nothing more than tuning tools. Numbers are great but the proof is in the pudding at the track.

Attached is my sheet after the AMR tune
Does the AMR tune raise the rev limiter? The stock C43 has a hard rev limit at what seems like about 6200 rpm.

Last edited by Lionel_Hutz; 04-21-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:29 AM

Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz
Does the AMR tune raise the rev limiter? The stock C43 has a hard rev limit at what seems like about 6200 rpm.
If you refer the the dyno sheet that was posted, it shows that it went past 6200rpm
The following 2 users liked this post by getmercd:
DVision44 (04-21-2017), unr1 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by AMR Performance
I understand why it would be an eye catcher. Easy install for an easy "+20hp" but there is more to it than that.

The unit just manipulates boost. The problem with doing this is the safety requirements and limiters in the ECU no longer monitor what the "correct" boost levels are due to the box sending a mixed signal telling the ECU its running lower boost than it actually is in order to inaccurately raise the engines boost levels.

Spending $300 for maybe +20hp and eliminating safety factors as well as limiters is not something I would jump on for a 55k+ car.

I would have to agree with you. You get what you pay for so when the end result is not what you asked for or their is a failure rate, you can only blame yourself.

- Robert
It's very poor form to knock your competition in this way.

If you want to beat them, beat them with your quality and your operational excellence. Great products with great service make the sales and marketing piece easy.

Never, ever badmouth your peers in your industry. You may find yourself looking at great opportunity to work with someone and then you realize that you've already torpedoed any potential business relationship by speaking unprofessionally about them publicly.

Just my $.02 from someone who has seen many people bounce back and forth between different companies over the course of his career.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:30 PM

C43
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Never, ever badmouth your peers in your industry. You may find yourself looking at great opportunity to work with someone and then you realize that you've already torpedoed any potential business relationship by speaking unprofessionally about them publicly.
You mean like how Mr. Dinan badmouthed piggyback systems before his company decided to launch that product line?

http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...s-flash-tuning
Old 04-23-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG C43

If you want to beat them, beat them with your quality and your operational excellence. Great products with great service make the sales and marketing piece easy.

Just my $.02 from someone who has seen many people bounce back and forth between different companies over the course of his career.
Hmm, didn't read it that way.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy

Was he "knocking" them, or did he just speak the truth?

Just because he's employed by a company with a dog in the fight, doesn't mean he's not entitled to have an opinion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 43 Engine Tuning