First AMG: C43 Coupe, Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:38 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
First AMG: C43 Coupe, Need Some Help

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum as I didn't know a focused forum page for the C43/C450 existed anywhere, but I am glad I found it.

As my title implies, within what I have determined is 4-5 months, I will be comfortable purchasing my first Mercedes AMG, the C43 Coupe.

As such, I have quite a few questions about the car and AMG that I wanted to ask the gurus so I can be best equipped when I go to buy.
For some background, I am familiar with cars, how they are built, etc. so I am happy to listen to more in depth analysis if someone is willing to offer.

Here's what I'm aiming for:

2017 C43 AMG Coupe (CPO or New)
Key Features:
- Performance Exhaust
- 19 inch alloys
- Premium Package 2

Now for the questions:

1. My analysis to purchase is in part based on a simple evaluation of depreciation and usage. I would aim to find either a certified pre owned at <3000 miles or new around the time they start wanting to get rid of the 2017's.

I am having a tough time pinning down the depreciation of AMG models, specifically this new AMG being as we have no price history to go off of. So, from what I found they have already started pitching the 2018s and expect to debut in oct-nov timeframe. Additionally, I have heard depreciation for AMGs is gut wrenching, but I haven't seen what people are mentioning or any real figures to back that up. But, since this the first year I imagine it's a different animal.

I have estimated that a C43 AMG Coupe new at 60-64 will run around 50 for CPO at 3k miles in October, and a new at 60-64 around that time frame may be 54.

In conclusion here, is my estimated time frame for 2018 release accurate? Does my estimation of depreciation and up front purchase price sound reasonable? What is your evaluation of what the price will be then?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Last edited by FirstMBAMG; 06-13-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:23 PM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
I can appreciate your desire to let someone else take the hit on a car and trade out within a year, but the odds of that happening without the car being abused are slim to none. You would most likely be looking at dealer demos, loaners, or salesman driven cars. I would have to figure they'd get ridden hard and put away wet. You should also take into consideration your personal preference on color and options would have to be very flexible (unless you want a white car with black seats and red belts). If I were you, I'd start on Lease Trader or Carmax. Both different concepts but the choices are there. Don't discount the c450 if you are considering a sedan either. AMG exhaust isn't an option that was clicked off on early c43 builds anyway, and the AWE system is cheap and according to NYCSOILl(the only member to have owned both systems) sounds better.
If you interested in taking over the lease on a 5,000 mile diamond silver sedan let me know. New Alfa 4c spiders are going for $15k below sticker and daddy likey.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by cenzo86
I can appreciate your desire to let someone else take the hit on a car and trade out within a year, but the odds of that happening without the car being abused are slim to none. You would most likely be looking at dealer demos, loaners, or salesman driven cars. I would have to figure they'd get ridden hard and put away wet. You should also take into consideration your personal preference on color and options would have to be very flexible (unless you want a white car with black seats and red belts). If I were you, I'd start on Lease Trader or Carmax. Both different concepts but the choices are there. Don't discount the c450 if you are considering a sedan either. AMG exhaust isn't an option that was clicked off on early c43 builds anyway, and the AWE system is cheap and according to NYCSOILl(the only member to have owned both systems) sounds better.
If you interested in taking over the lease on a 5,000 mile diamond silver sedan let me know. New Alfa 4c spiders are going for $15k below sticker and daddy likey.
Haha, yeah, well said!
Old 06-15-2017, 01:30 AM

C43 AMG Coupe
Thank you for your thoughtful response.
I understand where your coming from. However, my prime market for CPOs aims mostly at cars returned on loan defaults, that said, used is not my only analysis here.

A lot of my devaluation analysis banks on the release of the 2018s and eagerness of MB dealers to get 2017s off the lot.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C450 AMG
Originally Posted by FirstMBAMG
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum as I didn't know a focused forum page for the C43/C450 existed anywhere, but I am glad I found it.

As my title implies, within what I have determined is 4-5 months, I will be comfortable purchasing my first Mercedes AMG, the C43 Coupe.

As such, I have quite a few questions about the car and AMG that I wanted to ask the gurus so I can be best equipped when I go to buy.
For some background, I am familiar with cars, how they are built, etc. so I am happy to listen to more in depth analysis if someone is willing to offer.

Here's what I'm aiming for:

2017 C43 AMG Coupe (CPO or New)
Key Features:
- Performance Exhaust
- 19 inch alloys
- Premium Package 2

Now for the questions:

1. My analysis to purchase is in part based on a simple evaluation of depreciation and usage. I would aim to find either a certified pre owned at <3000 miles or new around the time they start wanting to get rid of the 2017's.

I am having a tough time pinning down the depreciation of AMG models, specifically this new AMG being as we have no price history to go off of. So, from what I found they have already started pitching the 2018s and expect to debut in oct-nov timeframe. Additionally, I have heard depreciation for AMGs is gut wrenching, but I haven't seen what people are mentioning or any real figures to back that up. But, since this the first year I imagine it's a different animal.

I have estimated that a C43 AMG Coupe new at 60-64 will run around 50 for CPO at 3k miles in October, and a new at 60-64 around that time frame may be 54.

In conclusion here, is my estimated time frame for 2018 release accurate? Does my estimation of depreciation and up front purchase price sound reasonable? What is your evaluation of what the price will be then?

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Check out the thread on lease deals. You can definitely get a good lease deal on a 17 new coupe with options you want, just gotta shop around. If you can manage to shave off a good chunk off sticker you can get some deals.
My sticker was 60 and got it to 54 for my lease for a 2016 C450 back in February 2016
Old 06-16-2017, 03:40 PM

C43 AMG Coupe
Good point, that's great info for my research on purchase histories.
I get the comfortable pricing of leasing to go along with the ease of switching cars quickly.

however, I am not so much of a lease guy for a number of reasons. Primarily, I don't mind driving the same car for a while (I mean like 10 years) and though cars in general are awful investments, leasing is just like renting an appartment, throwing money down a hole for no ownership. No offense is meant to those who choose to lease, there are great benefits of leasing if that is something for you. But for me, owning makes more sense.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C450 AMG
Originally Posted by FirstMBAMG
Good point, that's great info for my research on purchase histories.
I get the comfortable pricing of leasing to go along with the ease of switching cars quickly.

however, I am not so much of a lease guy for a number of reasons. Primarily, I don't mind driving the same car for a while (I mean like 10 years) and though cars in general are awful investments, leasing is just like renting an appartment, throwing money down a hole for no ownership. No offense is meant to those who choose to lease, there are great benefits of leasing if that is something for you. But for me, owning makes more sense.
That's exactly the same thought I had before I leased the c450 (my first lease).
But now how much is your car gonna be worth in 10 years?
Let's examine the 2008 C350.. since it's the middle child of the c class just like the 450/43 is.
MSRP for a c350 sport spec decently equipped was about $45-50k... the average price of them now is as low was 7k to 17k (per autotrader quick search).. average of that $47k MSRP and $12k present day.. you're still taking a $35k depreciation hit plus the cost of maintenance of these cars for the next 10 years that the dealer won't cover.. on a very conservative level, that's still around 5-8k on top of that so now your car and full investment is really almost negative. With cars, you'll still lose either way.. and with luxury cars I'm inclined to say you'll lose more financing than with a lease.. plus a luxury car more than 5 years old is not luxury anymore.
Old S550s in the hood are a dime a dozen lol

Classics, true sports cars, etc is a different ball game.

The best deal you'll get is picking up a CPO if you really wanna finance though, cause some dumbass like me payed for the first 3-4 years of depreciation for you already, which are really the most steep years of a cars devaluation life. Haha
Old 06-17-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe
I'm in a similar situation. I love the c43 coupe driving performance and interior, I'm still not 100% sold on the exterior, especially the rear of the car. I actually prefer the way my C350 coupe looks over the C43.

I plan to wait a year and see how the market goes on the c43's before I jump at one. I'd really love a W204 C63, but I need the 4-matic being in the northeast.

I think if you can wait till the fall, you might catch a deal on a leftover sitting on a lot, if you're willing to not get it exactly as you want, and if you're willing to travel to get it.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:15 PM

C43 AMG Coupe
Sure, I think in large part there will be a good amount of c43 still sitting in dealerships, especially new. I would argue amg owners already show a little bit of disdain for the c43 amg, its the first run of a new model, and dealers are already pushing 2018s. I think when the time comes, there will be good deals.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Need help

Got my coupe with premium package, and IDP but unfortunately without the AMG driver package and its a lease, i have 2 questions, can i tune ecu without violating warranty? And can i upgrade to AMG exhaust now and how? I live in Canada.