Sponsored by:

More Horsepower

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C450 AMG
More Horsepower

I just bought a 2016 C450 AMG. I am not much of a car guy, but I want to make my car faster. I am getting the chip flashed and adding weistec downpipes and an AWE exhaust system.

I wanted to add a cold air intake and supercharger, however I couldn't seem to find any online. Can anyone help me out? Links to a good, compatible cold air intake and supercharger would be awesome!

Also would anyone make any different recommendations? I would like to make my car as fast, loud, and aggressive looking as possible. I haven't really gotten any exterior upgrades yet, but was thinking MAYBE new rims or a body kit? I'm not sure though because I like the look of the car stock. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Especially ways to increase horsepower!

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Chris
Old 10-22-2017, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Supercharger? Nah man, I think you should turbocharge it! I bet it would be super fast with a turbo on it!
Old 10-22-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
Supercharger? Nah man, I think you should turbocharge it! I bet it would be super fast with a turbo on it!
LOL

OP, I think you should read the specs of your car before making posts like this.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:39 PM

C450 AMG
Sorry isn't the engine already twin turbo? I could buy better turbos I guess? But it doesn't have a supercharger right? Would it not be beneficial to add one?

EDIT: Again, I'm not a car guy. I honestly don't know much about the stock engine. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But I would definitely like to add a supercharger if it doesn't already have one. Can someone link me one for my car?

Dr. Chris
Old 10-22-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Goodness what a train wreck this thread is
Old 10-22-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Saab 900 SET
Originally Posted by bigtmonee
I just bought a 2016 C450 AMG. I am not much of a car guy, but I want to make my car faster. I am getting the chip flashed and adding weistec downpipes and an AWE exhaust system.

I wanted to add a cold air intake and supercharger, however I couldn't seem to find any online. Can anyone help me out? Links to a good, compatible cold air intake and supercharger would be awesome!

Also would anyone make any different recommendations? I would like to make my car as fast, loud, and aggressive looking as possible. I haven't really gotten any exterior upgrades yet, but was thinking MAYBE new rims or a body kit? I'm not sure though because I like the look of the car stock. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Especially ways to increase horsepower!

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Chris
If you want a turbo and a supercharger you would need to get a Volvo, they have both!
Old 10-22-2017, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 690 Likes on 540 Posts
c
you don't simply twin charge a car without dumping at least 15k into the project. You're talking about uncharted territory for this chassis and engine. You also would never resort to this option before upgrading the turbos and a slew of other parts.

An ECU flash is going to net you anywhere from 50-100 hp/tq depending on what option you choose. Other than that there aren't many options for the car that are supported or bolt on.

Cold air intakes might add 10 hp/tq but generally heat soak when you "upgrade" to an open air set-up, faster. K&N has some filters, but you're not going to feel much there.

Another guy ran some drag strip testing which seemed like the car would benefit from additional cooling for more consistent runs, but even that there aren't any options that I know of.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Sorry isn't the engine already twin turbo? I could buy better turbos I guess? But it doesn't have a supercharger right? Would it not be beneficial to add one?

EDIT: Again, I'm not a car guy. I honestly don't know much about the stock engine. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But I would definitely like to add a supercharger if it doesn't already have one. Can someone link me one for my car?

Dr. Chris
LOL troll you trolling

If you're "not a car guy" then how do you know what a supercharger is? Do you know? Without using Google, please explain to me what a supercharger and a turbocharger is and how they work.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,538 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
If you’re not a car guy how did you decide to get the c450, doc?

and how did you decide on the current upgrades: chip, downpipes and exhaust?

https://www.caranddriver.com/amp/rev...t-drive-review

Last edited by PeterUbers; 10-22-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:19 PM

C450 AMG
I just Googled ways to make my car faster. And when I look up the car it lists it as a twin turbo. So I didn't think I needed to add another turbo, or upgrade the turbochargers right away. Maybe in the future.

Like I said, I thought a cold air intake and supercharger would be good next steps. Again, I'm not really sure. Does anyone have any sites that carry those items for my car? Again, I tried Google, but nothing was showing up. I assume these parts exists somewhere for my car?

Thanks so much for all the help! I'm a true car newbie lol!

Dr. Chris
Old 10-22-2017, 11:21 PM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
LOL troll you trolling

If you're "not a car guy" then how do you know what a supercharger is? Do you know? Without using Google, please explain to me what a supercharger and a turbocharger is and how they work.
I don't know... It's like you said "I'm not a car guy". Why would you then assume I know what they mean? You are confusing me. You are right, I'm not a car guy. You are wrong about me knowing what a supercharger is. I would need to Google it!
Old 10-22-2017, 11:23 PM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by alexasa
you don't simply twin charge a car without dumping at least 15k into the project. You're talking about uncharted territory for this chassis and engine. You also would never resort to this option before upgrading the turbos and a slew of other parts.

An ECU flash is going to net you anywhere from 50-100 hp/tq depending on what option you choose. Other than that there aren't many options for the car that are supported or bolt on.

Cold air intakes might add 10 hp/tq but generally heat soak when you "upgrade" to an open air set-up, faster. K&N has some filters, but you're not going to feel much there.

Another guy ran some drag strip testing which seemed like the car would benefit from additional cooling for more consistent runs, but even that there aren't any options that I know of.
I was saying isn't the C450 already twin turbo? So I wouldn't need to add another turbo or upgrade it right away.

So you're saying don't get a cold air intake? What would you recommend then? There has to be something more I can do? Or do I just need to buy a bigger engine? Lol! (I guess I could look into that!)

Thank you for your help,

Dr. Chris
Old 10-23-2017, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
I think this must be Gunga's new account. Or his long lost brother.
The following users liked this post:
ShazV6 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
Doc, what are your intentions for this car? Twin turbocharging on modern cars use two of the same size turbo one on each side of the engine. Adding a supercharger on top of this engine is impractical. Adding a third larger Turbo fed by the two smaller stock turbos is an option albiet a crzy one. This would give you massive horsepower gains but make it mostly undriveable daily.
Quite quite a few members here did aftermarket ECU flashes and got impressive horsepower numbers putting the output close to that of the C63.
One company is offering larger turbos for this platform but again I must ask what are your actual intentions? Drag strip monster, time attack machine, SEMA show model, or powerful daily driver? If it is the latter a tune should be more than sufficient. Just take a look at the drag strip slips posted buy a member using a $375 piggyback to see just how little needs to be spent to extract horsepower gains.
I'm just going to go ahead and say it anyone who is not, as you self Proclaim to be, a car guy has no business driving a 500-plus HP car. You can wrap the car around a pole in stock form just the same.

Last edited by cenzo86; 10-23-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:06 AM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by cenzo86
Doc, what are your intentions for this car? Twin turbocharging on modern cars use two of the same size turbo one on each side of the engine. Adding a supercharger on top of this engine is impractical. Adding a third larger Turbo fed by the two smaller stock turbos is an option albiet a crzy one. This would give you massive horsepower gains but make it mostly undriveable daily.
Quite quite a few members here did aftermarket ECU flashes and got impressive horsepower numbers putting the output close to that of the C63.
One company is offering larger turbos for this platform but again I must ask what are your actual intentions? Drag strip monster, time attack machine, SEMA show model, or powerful daily driver? If it is the latter a tune should be more than sufficient. Just take a look at the drag strip slips posted buy a member using a $375 piggyback to see just how little needs to be spent to extract horsepower gains.
I'm just going to go ahead and say it anyone who is not, as you self Proclaim to be, a car guy has no business driving a 500-plus HP car. You can wrap the car around a pole in stock form just the same.
Hi great questions. I guess I don't really have any intentions of racing, or really need the car to drive fast. I will just be a "powerful daily driver" at best. I just have some extra money and thought making the car faster would be a good way to spend it. Since I am already having the ECU flashed, and putting an exhaust system on it, maybe I should just invest into the cars aesthetics? I have started looking for rims, and I saw a thread on here for C450 rims, but it looked like no one really knew what size rims the car used... I suppose I will ask the question, even though people on this forum seem more fond of trolling it's fellow members instead of helping them lol.

Anyway, can't wait to finally start modifying my car!

Thank you for your help,

Dr. Chris
Old 10-23-2017, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
I suppose I will ask the question, even though people on this forum seem more fond of trolling it's fellow members instead of helping them lol.
The problem is that more often than not, your line of questions are posted in an effort to troll the general forum population. Though you stated you're not a car person, but seem to have a rudimentary knowledge of what turbos and superchargers are, most everyone's first instinct is to think your questions are not legit. As a result, it takes a lot of BS posts and, more than likely you getting upset and turned off to the forum, to get an actual answer.

I'll add just a few "basic" tidbits of car knowledge...

Typically, one goes with either a turbo setup OR a supercharger setup...until recently, you really didn't/couldn't do both. There's the technical difficulties, but also the monetary barrier to overcome. If you're spending $15-30K on a custom forced induction setup, you're not doing it on the C43. They're doing it to a GTR or a Gallardo or a long list of other ultra-premium, if not supercar level platforms. The market/money just isn't there for anything less than these types of cars.

The C43 platform doesn't benefit much from intake modifications. Do what you'd like, but if it's power you're after, stick with the tune/downpipes and call it good, unless, as alexsa pointed out, you want to tread in to uncharted territory and have the cabbage to power your adventure in to the HP rabbit hole.

Aftermarket wheels (rims) are a tricky task with the C43/450 platform due to brake clearance issues. Search the forum for the wheel fitment guides and order accordingly where possible.

Good luck
Old 10-23-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
none yet
So you just bought a 2016 C450. And when you test drove it did you think is wasn't fast enough, but bought it anyway?? That would be kind of dumb. If I were you I'd sell the too slow C450 and buy a C63s they are very fast, look very bad assed and are actually much faster than you are. Want to make the car crazy fast??? Go to a Driving School, and learn how to go fast.. remember any monkey can push the pedal down and go fast in a straight line.. it takes Actual Skill to go fast anywhere else.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:58 PM

Hi great questions. I guess I don't really have any intentions of racing, or really need the car to drive fast. I will just be a "powerful daily driver" at best. I just have some extra money and thought making the car faster would be a good way to spend it. Since I am already having the ECU flashed, and putting an exhaust system on it, maybe I should just invest into the cars aesthetics? I have started looking for rims, and I saw a thread on here for C450 rims, but it looked like no one really knew what size rims the car used... I suppose I will ask the question, even though people on this forum seem more fond of trolling it's fellow members instead of helping them lol.

Thank you for your help,

Dr. Chris
There is a C63 style hood available that has the raised ribs. Note that the C63 is different from the windshield forward. The front is actually a couple inches longer than our cars to allow for the v8, and wider to accommodate the wheels and front suspension. There are a few fender flares and add ons out there, but nothing too aesthetically pleasing imo. Prior Design has a suite of body that is pretty out there. Bottom is this is still a base body c that will never look as aggressive as the AMG. When hunting, use the model destination w205 to facilitate your search.
Take a look at the spacers thread for detailed info on wheels and offsets. There is quite a bit of info in there to start to digest. I personally feel the stock wheel offsets are perfect with the stock ride height. You should look into lowering links or springs if you want to start changing the wheels and stance.
BTW. You should post some pics of your car. Sharing is caring. Let's see what your working with.

Last edited by cenzo86; 10-23-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
C450 AMG
This dude is sTROLLing in here asking questions.. LOL.

So he just randomly decided to get a C450, not even knowing a thing about it. Body kit? Adding a supercharger? Bigger turbos? Wants to put a ton of money into a car he knows nothing about when he could have just bought a C63 or C63s?

First this..
I am not much of a car guy, but I want to make my car faster.
Then this..?
I am getting the chip flashed and adding weistec downpipes and an AWE exhaust system.
But he doesn't even know the car is twin turbocharged?

F'ing ridiculous thread.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe

Thank you for your help,

Dr. Chris
If you test drove the vehicle and it didn't meet your expectations of a "powerful daily driver", why did you even buy it?
You say you don't have any interest in racing or even any interest in enjoying some occasional fun performance driving, but you want a "powerful daily driver". Are you simply looking at having a vehicle with high horsepower and torque numbers, but never actually doing anything with it aside from a daily commute? If so, then why did you buy this particular model MB? MB makes a lot more powerful vehicles in their AMG line-up. You say you have some extra money to spend, so it would have been better spent on just getting a more powerful AMG model to begin with. After all, if you're never going to use any of that power anyway, that would have been a better option. You still could have gone the ECU tuning route if you wanted, to add even more power to your "powerful daily driver" that you will never tap into, and you would have bigger numbers to brag about. Just a thought.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by imj0257
We don't know that for sure. I did suggest the good doctor post some pics of his ride to share with the group.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Saab 900 SET
We don't know that for sure. I did suggest the good doctor post some pics of his ride to share with the group.

It could be a Radio Flyer!
Old 10-23-2017, 06:50 PM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by ErikM
So you just bought a 2016 C450. And when you test drove it did you think is wasn't fast enough, but bought it anyway?? That would be kind of dumb. If I were you I'd sell the too slow C450 and buy a C63s they are very fast, look very bad assed and are actually much faster than you are. Want to make the car crazy fast??? Go to a Driving School, and learn how to go fast.. remember any monkey can push the pedal down and go fast in a straight line.. it takes Actual Skill to go fast anywhere else.
Oh well in that case I should have just bought a Ferrari! Actually my friend, I had financial limitations that did not allow me to buy a C63s at the time. Thank you for the advice though!

Dr. Chris
Old 10-23-2017, 06:53 PM

C450 AMG
There is a C63 style hood available that has the raised ribs. Note that the C63 is different from the windshield forward. The front is actually a couple inches longer than our cars to allow for the v8, and wider to accommodate the wheels and front suspension. There are a few fender flares and add ons out there, but nothing too aesthetically pleasing imo. Prior Design has a suite of body that is pretty out there. Bottom is this is still a base body c that will never look as aggressive as the AMG. When hunting, use the model destination w205 to facilitate your search.
Take a look at the spacers thread for detailed info on wheels and offsets. There is quite a bit of info in there to start to digest. I personally feel the stock wheel offsets are perfect with the stock ride height. You should look into lowering links or springs if you want to start changing the wheels and stance.
BTW. You should post some pics of your car. Sharing is caring. Let's see what your working with.
Thank you so much for some SOLID information!! So the C63 style hood doesn't fit exactly right because it's slightly longer? And yes, I read through like 200 responses in the C450 wheel thread. No one seemed to really have a concrete answer. Closest I saw was 20/8.5 F, 20/9.5 R. Does that sound about right?

Thanks again,

Dr. Chris
Old 10-23-2017, 06:57 PM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by imj0257

So he just randomly decided to get a C450, not even knowing a thing about it. Body kit? Adding a supercharger? Bigger turbos? Wants to put a ton of money into a car he knows nothing about when he could have just bought a C63 or C63s?

First this..
Then this..? But he doesn't even know the car is twin turbocharged?

F'ing ridiculous thread.
You are making way too many assumptions... That's why I asked what modifications I could make to my current vehicle. Not, "What car should I have bought if I wanted a faster car?" This is what happens when you just assume. Just so you know, I wasn't in the financial position to buy a faster car at the time. Make sense now? So back to my original question about upgrading the car I have. Any actual help would be great!

And I was the one who said that I thought it was twin turbo because someone else said that was an option... You must have misread that.

Dr. Chris

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.