Sponsored by:

C43/C450 Launch Techniques

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 GLC63
C43/C450 Launch Techniques

Since our cars Lack launch control, launching our vehicles for a great 60' is not as straightforward as launching a C63 S or a CLA 45.

I have noticed some people are using different techniques than others.

I also notice some people prefer shifting manually versus letting the transmission shift for them.

I would like to start this thread in hopes of a great conversation where we can all share and discuss our ideas so that we can all perfect and improve upon our driving styles.

I would like everyone to keep this honest and refrain from turning what I would like to be a great and informative discussion into a Tuner Bashing thread about who is better than who.

We all love our cars and obviously enjoy talking about them and making them better or we would not be here.

I look forward to hearing what all of you have to say.
For me, when I launched on the street with my wife in the car for my VBOX 3.8 second 0-60 (in Auto Mode), I held the brake down and pushed the gas down until the boost bar filled up as far as I could get it to go. I then released the brake and mashed the gas at the same time. Obviously I was checking 0-60 here and not 60' times. At the track I have had a best of 1.88 60' and would like to improve upon that. During that 60' run my car was at 1/2 tank of fuel and I was the only occupant for a 12.3 sec ET @ 112 MPH. AMR Stage 1, AWE Touring Catback. Car was also in Auto Mode. I always run 93 E10 fuels that I get at my gas station right up the road. At the track I run with 1/2 tank of gas, 93 E10. My track is an hour and a half away from my house. I drive my C43 to the track, I do not trailer it.

I am also excited that my Weistec Downpipes will be here this friday. I plan to ship them out to Jet Hot to have Ceramic Coated inside and Outside. To keep my car street legal in my state i have purchased a 50 state legal Bullet Catalytic Converter 3" and two Y pipes. I plan on removing the AWE Mid Muffler and replacing it with the bullet cat and the 2 Y pipes. The intent of my project is to try to achieve an 11.9 and decent MPH while remaining street legal and inspectible in my state with an AMR Stage 2.

Last edited by 2014c300; 10-22-2017 at 09:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DIVINE AMG (09-11-2020)
Old 10-22-2017, 10:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 C43 Amg Sedan
I just came back from the 1/4 mile track. My times were better when i let the car shift automatically. Also felt more pull everytime it changed gear versus when I did it manually.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 GLC63
Originally Posted by desi4life10
I just came back from the 1/4 mile track. My times were better when i let the car shift automatically. Also felt more pull everytime it changed gear versus when I did it manually.
Thanks for the reply
Old 10-27-2019, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 amg sedan 2018 4 door
Originally Posted by 2014c300
Thanks for the reply
I did not take it to track but when i floor it 0 to w.e speed manual IMO does feel slower then it doing automaticaly
Old 09-06-2020, 11:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
‘17 AMG C43, ‘10 C300 4MATIC Sport (previous)
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I just bought my 2017 c43 and found out there was no race start, nor double clutch.

To confirm: we put into Sport+ mode, hold brake whilst pushing gas down to gain boost using AMG Menu in gauge cluster then release brake? Should we disable traction control also?
Old 09-06-2020, 12:11 PM

Received 310 Likes on 236 Posts
C43
Yes, t/c off and brake boost to 2k - 2.2k is generally viewed as the best launch approach. I know some people here have had great results running Individual mode with suspension set to comfort and other settings in Sport+.
aaronBLUEeyes (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 02:22 PM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
C43
Yup, the best launches is in automatic mode, traction control completely off (not just in Sport traction), suspension set to Comfort, floor the brake pedal, give it some gas to around 2k rpm, let off the brake pedal and floor the gas pedal. I've seen some people let go of brake AS the rpm approach 2k instead of letting it hover at 2k then release brake. Not sure if this makes a difference.

In terms of the "feel" of going fast, I prefer to manually shift with suspension set to Sport+. It feels more brutal for me.
aaronBLUEeyes (09-06-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 10:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes Benz C450 AMG
C450 Launch

I would have to agree with previous post. Although I've been to the track recently and have been brake boosting to approx 2k rpm , my c450 is a DOG out of the hole. My 60ft. Times are killing me. I've been hanging around 2.0 for 60ft.
After I finally get out of the hole its a rocket ride to the finish.
I am heading to the track tomorrow night and am going to try a few other methods of launching. Trying to find that sweet spot to get off the line quicker.
Running a JB4 Maps 1and 2 with BMS cai .

Old 09-09-2020, 01:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E400 GLE350 C63
I felt 1.9k is the sweet spot on my car. Once I hit 2k and above I feel the car cut boost on launch and it kicks back in around 25mph which kills my 0-60. This is all with traction fully off

Last edited by BenzWay; 09-09-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:41 PM

C43
Originally Posted by BenzWay
I felt 1.9k is the sweet spot on my car. Once I hit 2k and above I feel the car cut boost on launch and it kicks back in around 25mph which kills my 0-60. This is all with traction fully off
How much are you (and others on here) pressing on the throttle while holding the brake? All the way past click down or just enough to get to around 2k rpm?
Old 09-09-2020, 02:08 PM

E400 GLE350 C63
Originally Posted by Ramsino
How much are you (and others on here) pressing on the throttle while holding the brake? All the way past click down or just enough to get to around 2k rpm?
By holding the brake fully down and giving it 30-50% throttle until rpms builds up around 1.9k and then letting go of the brake and smashing the throttle all the way down. That’s my way of launching my car others could be different.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:10 PM

C43
Originally Posted by BenzWay
By holding the brake fully down and giving it 30-50% throttle until rpms builds up around 1.9k and then letting go of the brake and smashing the throttle all the way down. That’s my way of launching my car others could be different.
I'm asking because my buddies all launch their cars differently as well, granted they have different cars. The brake is always floored, but I have seen variation from what you're doing, giving it 50% throttle and wait for rpm/boost to build up, and I have also seen people flooring the gas pedal completely and all they do is lift off the brake to launch.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:21 PM

E400 GLE350 C63
I'm asking because my buddies all launch their cars differently as well, granted they have different cars. The brake is always floored, but I have seen variation from what you're doing, giving it 50% throttle and wait for rpm/boost to build up, and I have also seen people flooring the gas pedal completely and all they do is lift off the brake to launch.
I’ve tried launching by holding the brake down as well as the throttle completely but the car cuts boost right away off the launch because it hits some torque/tranny limits. Best way is hold it half way and build rpms around 1.9-2.2k.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:26 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
C450 AMG
I have the 2016 C450 AMG, but I don’t have Comand, I have the audio 20 so I can’t use the AMG menu to see the boost. I’m wondering how I could see boost in my car without the Comand screen. I’m gonna take it to the track once I put the new and lighter wheels on the car. I only have an MST intake on the car. I’ll post my numbers on here after I run it this weekend.

Originally Posted by aaronBLUEeyes
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I just bought my 2017 c43 and found out there was no race start, nor double clutch.

To confirm: we put into Sport+ mode, hold brake whilst pushing gas down to gain boost using AMG Menu in gauge cluster then release brake? Should we disable traction control also?
Old 09-09-2020, 11:44 PM

C43
Originally Posted by gpouliniii
I have the 2016 C450 AMG, but I don’t have Comand, I have the audio 20 so I can’t use the AMG menu to see the boost. I’m wondering how I could see boost in my car without the Comand screen. I’m gonna take it to the track once I put the new and lighter wheels on the car. I only have an MST intake on the car. I’ll post my numbers on here after I run it this weekend.
If you cannot see boost figures in your car, one way to work around this is to have your car in 1st gear on an empty road or big, empty parking lot, and give it some gas while still in 1st gear. You can feel where the boost comes in at certain RPM. Then when you try to launch the car, get it to that rpm before you let off the brake. In our cars, this is around 2k rpm that it starts to build some boost.
jevsays (09-23-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 12:03 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
C450 AMG
Originally Posted by aaronBLUEeyes

Awesome! So you guys just hold it at around 2k rpm and then release the brake and mash the gas when it’s time to go? I was thinking this was the way. I’m assuming traction control is off as well?

If you cannot see boost figures in your car, one way to work around this is to have your car in 1st gear on an empty road or big, empty parking lot, and give it some gas while still in 1st gear. You can feel where the boost comes in at certain RPM. Then when you try to launch the car, get it to that rpm before you let off the brake. In our cars, this is around 2k rpm that it starts to build some boost.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:16 AM

Mercedes Benz C450 AMG
Launch

Just got back from track earlier tonight.
After about a dozen runs I had the best launch by bringing rpms up to about 1800-1900 , only for a split second just before the light goes green. It definitely takes some practice.
I found that if I went over 2k rpm the car dumped all boost.
There are torque limits when the car doesn't have actual "load" on it. But by staying under 2k , im able to get approximately 5psi by the time I hit 5mph. That is with the JB4 on map 2 and BMS CAI.
Wasn't as fast as I was hoping but I smoked an Audi S4. Three times in a row. Plus the S4 has launch control.
Good luck!

Last edited by AMc450amg; 09-10-2020 at 12:23 AM.
c43PDX (09-20-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 09:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
2015 Mercedes C400
Originally Posted by AMc450amg
Just got back from track earlier tonight.
After about a dozen runs I had the best launch by bringing rpms up to about 1800-1900 , only for a split second just before the light goes green. It definitely takes some practice.
I found that if I went over 2k rpm the car dumped all boost.
There are torque limits when the car doesn't have actual "load" on it. But by staying under 2k , im able to get approximately 5psi by the time I hit 5mph. That is with the JB4 on map 2 and BMS CAI.
Wasn't as fast as I was hoping but I smoked an Audi S4. Three times in a row. Plus the S4 has launch control.
Good luck!
What was your best time?
Old 09-10-2020, 10:15 AM

Mercedes Benz C450 AMG
Originally Posted by bzammitt
What was your best time?

Last edited by AMc450amg; 03-16-2021 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:55 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG / C350 Coupe
So here's a question, I notice that while in Sport+ shifting gears is not as smooth as comfort. I also hear a loud bang when flipping through each gear in S+. Is this bang the transmission slamming into the next gear? or the exhaust banging around / poping? I also noticed shifting in comfort seems smother while shifting in S+ seems to stutter, or at least skip a beat before engaging the next gear. If anyone can shed some light here, 8d appreciate it.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:18 PM

C43
Originally Posted by HighSun_Murder
So here's a question, I notice that while in Sport+ shifting gears is not as smooth as comfort. I also hear a loud bang when flipping through each gear in S+. Is this bang the transmission slamming into the next gear? or the exhaust banging around / poping? I also noticed shifting in comfort seems smother while shifting in S+ seems to stutter, or at least skip a beat before engaging the next gear. If anyone can shed some light here, 8d appreciate it.
So what Sport+ does is it changes the engine to Dynamic mode. In this mode, the transmission is programmed to give your car a jolt when shifting so that it feels sportier. Also, when you upshift above 4,500rpm or something, you will hear a "BANG" from the exhaust as well. When you downshift, you will hear more crackles.

However, I do not notice the stutter that you're mentioning. Are you driving in automatic or using the paddles manually? If in automatic, Sport+ will hold on to the gears longer before it upshifts, but it should not cause the gear engagement to be slower or anything.
HighSun_Murder (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 06:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
C43 AMG / C350 Coupe
So what Sport+ does is it changes the engine to Dynamic mode. In this mode, the transmission is programmed to give your car a jolt when shifting so that it feels sportier. Also, when you upshift above 4,500rpm or something, you will hear a "BANG" from the exhaust as well. When you downshift, you will hear more crackles.

However, I do not notice the stutter that you're mentioning. Are you driving in automatic or using the paddles manually? If in automatic, Sport+ will hold on to the gears longer before it upshifts, but it should not cause the gear engagement to be slower or anything.
Manual and Auto both and its in Sport+ only that i feel it. If im in comfort mode i can "put my foot in it", and shifting seems smoother between gears = feels faster overall. I'm a little "gun shy" as I'm concerned that I'm effing up my tranny when I'm really gettimg on it in S+.
I'll see if I can GoPro it and post a link.
side note - does anyone else seem to "lurch forward" when downshifting to 1 at a dead stop?

Last edited by HighSun_Murder; 09-10-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:54 PM

C43
Originally Posted by HighSun_Murder
Manual and Auto both and its in Sport+ only that i feel it. If im in comfort mode i can "put my foot in it", and shifting seems smoother between gears = feels faster overall. I'm a little "gun shy" as I'm concerned that I'm effing up my tranny when I'm really gettimg on it in S+.
I'll see if I can GoPro it and post a link.
side note - does anyone else seem to "lurch forward" when downshifting to 1 at a dead stop?
Yes, downshifting to 1st gear is very unrefined in our cars unfortunately. There is no way to come to a complete stop smoothly. The car will actually hit 0mph in 2nd gear but the car will still move a tiny bit. Then the moment that you come to a complete stop, it will shift into 1st gear and lurch a bit. Very unfortunate. I don't know why Mercedes does not allow the 9 speed auto to come to a complete stop in 2nd gear and then let you take off in 2nd gear as well. It HAS to go into 1st gear. The 7 speed auto before didn't have this issue. The ZF8 transmissions in 324092309423 other cars allow you to come to a stop in 2nd gear and take off in 2nd gear. This is my biggest gripe with our cars.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 Amg C43 Coupe
jevsays (09-23-2020)