Belly Pans/Skid Plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
Belly Pans/Skid Plate

So I took my belly pans off last night because one was hanging a bit. Ended up leaving them off, temporarily, due to the severe destruction on the secondary skid plate (there are two skid plates pictured how they rest on the car). This skid plate exists behind the front wheels and I don't have recollection of hitting something or this piece flying off. The material seems like a fiberglass composite. Not sure how much it will cost to replace - but will likely update that info when I take it in.

Just thought I'd share..

and a shot of the cross brace underneath, surprised to see it welded on the transverse, rather than stacked and welded (or some other alternative).

Old 11-07-2017, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 207 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
easy to take off? I gotta take mine off to change oil tonight.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by Star4life
easy to take off? I gotta take mine off to change oil tonight.
8mm ratchet will have them off very quickly. I think it's a total of 9 screws for front pan and an addition 4 for both pans.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Wow...had to have caught something nasty to do that kind of damage. That plastic is tough.

Off-topic, did you notice any coating or anything that may have looked like either cosmoline or dusty oil drip on the X-bracing or any other areas in proximity to the oil pan? Not sure if you saw my comment in another thread where I encountered what seemed to be cosmoline in a few spots in that area. Just curious.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
Wow...had to have caught something nasty to do that kind of damage. That plastic is tough.

Off-topic, did you notice any coating or anything that may have looked like either cosmoline or dusty oil drip on the X-bracing or any other areas in proximity to the oil pan? Not sure if you saw my comment in another thread where I encountered what seemed to be cosmoline in a few spots in that area. Just curious.
I was surprised by this thickness and heft of the pieces. Some nice aluminum skid plates would be a nice mode.

I did not, other than a very light coat of dust/dirt and water spots the area was surprising clean, despite having a tear in the skid plate.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
You do have the 3rd skid plate as well, right? Just not showing it I assume.

Weird that you would have that much damage to it and have no recollection of any instance that it could have happened. At the least, it should have made a pretty good noise when it happened
Old 11-08-2017, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by sean1.8t

Weird that you would have that much damage to it and have no recollection of any instance that it could have happened. At the least, it should have made a pretty good noise when it happened
Yeah, I find it extremely weird that I have no idea when it happened. The edge is behind the front wheel so I am assuming I kicked something up and it tore and then continued to rip with the added stress of being cracked/broken. IDK though.

There is another skid plate going the length of the middle of the car that is more narrow that the second one ties into using the same screws that I left because it was in perfect condition. There might be a fourth at the rear but I wasn't doing much investigation back there.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by sean1.8t

Old 07-20-2021, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43
Originally Posted by alexasa
I was surprised by this thickness and heft of the pieces. Some nice aluminum skid plates would be a nice mode.

I did not, other than a very light coat of dust/dirt and water spots the area was surprising clean, despite having a tear in the skid plate.
How much did it end up costing for this part?
Old 07-22-2021, 04:23 PM

Received 384 Likes on 246 Posts
Most of the belly-pan pieces for AMG C-series (and other MBZ) cars are pretty reasonable ... ones I've purchased, over the years, have been in the $150-$250 range.

As mentioned, these are some type of composite plastic and are rather strong. I've used cut-out pieces from the damaged ones for all kinds of things (brackets, spacers, supports, etc.) ... nice material and it can be somewhat heat-formed using a heat-gun, if you're patient and heat slowly then hold the bend while it cools.