W205 C43/450/400/300 Pre MY18 Carplay/Android Retro Fit Attempt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by alyshehata
Yup that's the one. They didn't make me create an account and they initially said it would be $600 but then they couldn't find it. I think you mentioned you bought yours for $800? Not sure why the difference, but at least you have one now

EDIT - You don't happen to know where on earth I can find one right? I've looked everywhere...

yep mine is in and working and my harness comes tomorrow to update wiring.

i couldnt tell you where to buy other than new.

mbretrofit in romania may have some.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
I wanted to give a final update to this thread with clear part numbers and pictures.

AT THIS TIME

I am offering a solution here for oem carplay retrofit for 2015-2018 C/GLC class all types with Audio 20 with or without Burmeister. I have new or possibly used depending on availability. PM me with questions or inquiries. I can also add the amg logo etc to the radio if youd like and do other coding such as top speed start stop etc.

This is a very easy upgrade once you know what you are doing. It took me some time and extra money (buying unneeded parts etc) to figure all this out. i am going to give some this information and help away for free as a token of my appreciation for the help this forum has given me. If anyone needs coding help i have a star diag system and can do it for you. or if you want to buy the system i can also help remotely. PM me if you want to purchase an OEM retrofit! I am offering complete solutions.

If you feel inclined, you can always send some beer money to my paypal: dmartemail @ y a h oo.com

Thanks

So the final part numbers you will need are:

1. 2059004533, 2059005136, or 2059009037 which is the new Panasonic head unit. If you buy used, make sure its not stolen!!!, you will need to get an anti theft key. PM me to retrieve the key. It will cost some $$$ unfortunately as I do not have a free way of getting it.
2. , new card reader
3. wire harness.

Extra Fuse Part number in case you blow it when changing wiring. It is a 5 amp Multi fuse. Goes in slot two in passenger foot well fuse box.

Once you have all these parts the only tools you need are:
1. T20 torx screw driver.
2. Plastic Panel Removing Tools. (optional but recommended)
3. Mercedes Benz Radio Removal Keys or the like. (see picture to get card reader out).
4. small flat screw driver.
5. Paper clip (to depin connectors)

Steps.
1. Remove console. Many youtube videos online to do this in the w205 chassis.
2. Remove and replace radio with new radio. All connections will be the same.
3. Remove and replace card reader with keys.
4. Remove connectors from new wiring harness.
5. remove connector from original harnesss tape back. Leave purple wire attached.
6. attache new connectors to original installed harness.
7. Code with MB Star diag system.
8. enjoy.

Last edited by Star4life; 10-03-2019 at 10:34 AM.
The following 12 users liked this post by Star4life:
@jm_case (08-01-2018), botya (12-14-2020), FastE (09-11-2018), goy0 (05-24-2020), KAHBOOM (02-16-2019), Marian Stroiu (08-23-2020), piotr22 (10-07-2018), rioreal2 (10-15-2019), skrskrr (12-18-2018), SSAlen (05-01-2020), TheSJDRising (02-24-2019), ziachu (09-18-2018) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-01-2018, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
parts can be had for $600 or under if you find them used. the only kicker is the coding aspect. find someone close to you, or go to a dealer. shouldnt be more than 1 hour labor.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
It's very difficult to find a use HU for a 2018+ W205 unfortunately. Does anyone have any tips on where to find one?
Old 09-18-2018, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w205 200d
Star4life, really great job!!! After some fights with the local dealer finally they fixed my clock issues without changing Melco unit to Panasonic So it is time to get my hands dirty...
So I've already order HU.
As my Audio20 is USB only (no CD, no card reader) I really have issue with tracking proper USB hub. The only one that should fit comes from A-class but the connector seems the same as for Melco unit (having additional phone marks on the front). So my hopes are that I do not need to change it.
My biggest problem is MB garage as they only know how to do auto-update... So if you can help me and write what kind of settings needs to be adjusted during coding for CarPlay/AA to run, I would appreciate.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC
Originally Posted by ziachu
Star4life, really great job!!! After some fights with the local dealer finally they fixed my clock issues without changing Melco unit to Panasonic So it is time to get my hands dirty...
So I've already order HU.
As my Audio20 is USB only (no CD, no card reader) I really have issue with tracking proper USB hub. The only one that should fit comes from A-class but the connector seems the same as for Melco unit (having additional phone marks on the front). So my hopes are that I do not need to change it.
My biggest problem is MB garage as they only know how to do auto-update... So if you can help me and write what kind of settings needs to be adjusted during coding for CarPlay/AA to run, I would appreciate.
It would great to hear about your "fights" with audio 20 usb headunit. I'm very interested in because I have the same model. I was trying to buy new HU from site you provided but it is no longer available. So, I have to wait for another opportunity.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w205 200d
Originally Posted by piotr22
It would great to hear about your "fights" with audio 20 usb headunit. I'm very interested in because I have the same model. I was trying to buy new HU from site you provided but it is no longer available. So, I have to wait for another opportunity.
My order was cancelled (the same reason I guess) so I'm still looking for this HU. You can order it from dealer, but it's fortune.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:14 PM

GLC
Where did you find this PDF file with rewire instructions? Or maybe you created it yourself? I'm asking because I was looking something similar for Audio 20 USB.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
i have setup myself with a mobile coding setup. I can ship you a coding setup with radio for carplay for any w205 pre 2018. I can also activate your 2018 if you dont have it. please pm if interested. I have 1 used headunit in stock currently for cheaper than new price will come with a short warranty period. I am USA based. so for international customers my options are limited.

i also offer new retrofit as well.

while we have the unit there i can also code start stop off or set to last mode, increase top speed (use at own risk, make sure tires are rated high enough), add amg logo if you have c300, etc.

pm with inquiries. this used unit wont last long!!
Old 10-09-2018, 09:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Star4life
i have setup myself with a mobile coding setup. I can ship you a coding setup with radio for carplay for any w205 pre 2018. I can also activate your 2018 if you dont have it. please pm if interested. I have 1 used headunit in stock currently for cheaper than new price will come with a short warranty period. I am USA based. so for international customers my options are limited.

i also offer new retrofit as well.

while we have the unit there i can also code start stop off or set to last mode, increase top speed (use at own risk, make sure tires are rated high enough), add amg logo if you have c300, etc.

pm with inquiries. this used unit wont last long!!
Interested.. About to PM you.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:03 PM

GLC
I'm doing retrofit through my local dealer. I bought headunit and USB panel but they got error after coding saying radio is not compatible with the car. Any clue what can be wrong? Or any advice what need to be done for proper coding?
Old 12-05-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
There are plenty of Android auto / carplay modules available from China that seem to work pretty well these days and plug into all of your existing hardware. Are they not a better option than the expensive OEM route?
Old 12-05-2018, 03:59 PM

GLC
I tried 3 solutions from China. Neither of them work. In most cases sound was the problem because Audio 20 doesn't have Audio IN.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
soon-to-be 2018 glc43
Not sure which model year you have but I activated my AUX IN via OBDII port for my Audio 20 NTG5.0 system.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:07 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by ShakyTom
There are plenty of Android auto / carplay modules available from China that seem to work pretty well these days and plug into all of your existing hardware. Are they not a better option than the expensive OEM route?
they don’t all work. I tried two kits from a company and neither one worked. I’ve ordered another kit from someone else but I’m waiting to receive it. I’m also thinking about just canceling the order and doing what star4life did. It’s more expensive but it’ll work.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:09 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by eling23
Not sure which model year you have but I activated my AUX IN via OBDII port for my Audio 20 NTG5.0 system.
what kit did you end up going with that worked?
Old 12-05-2018, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by piotr22
I'm doing retrofit through my local dealer. I bought headunit and USB panel but they got error after coding saying radio is not compatible with the car. Any clue what can be wrong? Or any advice what need to be done for proper coding?
yes i know exactly how to code it. They most likely will not be able to code it. pm me if interested. it will cost money but it will work.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:41 PM

AMG GLC43
yes i know exactly how to code it. They most likely will not be able to code it. pm me if interested. it will cost money but it will work.
Just picked up a 2017 AMG GLC43 and badly want CarPlay as the nav system doesn't work in Montreal with the constant road work and detours. Currently have the COMAND w/ the 8./4" screen.

By swapping for the Audio20, do you lose any features? How is the Carplay functionality? Pretty seamless? I really am not comfortable taking the car apart so would a dealership be able to do this?

Would love to know where I could find these parts, preferably in Canada. Good stuff man!
Old 12-24-2018, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by jtbreen
Just picked up a 2017 AMG GLC43 and badly want CarPlay as the nav system doesn't work in Montreal with the constant road work and detours. Currently have the COMAND w/ the 8./4" screen.

By swapping for the Audio20, do you lose any features? How is the Carplay functionality? Pretty seamless? I really am not comfortable taking the car apart so would a dealership be able to do this?

Would love to know where I could find these parts, preferably in Canada. Good stuff man!
you would lost certain command functions such as the oem nav. also if you didnt replace screen it would look smaller like the below picture. a dealer ship would not be able to do this as there is no official retrofit. i am in detroit michigan if you are close and can do the complete retorfit.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:36 PM

2015 C300
For those thinking about buying this, I purchased a unit from Star4life couple weeks ago and installed it. He was extremely helpful with the install and really knowledgeable. I think it took about an hour or so and I was up and running with CarPlay/Android Auto. If you're wanting all the advantages of having CP/AA don't do what I did and buy the Chinese units. It's a waste of time and now I'm fighting with AliExpress to get a return/refund. Definitely buy from Star4life!!
Old 02-05-2019, 02:04 PM

Mercedes 200 AMG Line Premium
Question

you would lost certain command functions such as the oem nav. also if you didnt replace screen it would look smaller like the below picture. a dealer ship would not be able to do this as there is no official retrofit. i am in detroit michigan if you are close and can do the complete retorfit.

Star4Life, thank you for creating this thread - I'm sure there are many members who will benefit from your investigation and experimentation.

I'm new here (obviously) but have just picked up a 2016 C200 here in the UK. I couldn't stretch to a post mid-2017 car with the Panasonic head unit already so I'll be looking to do the retrofit at some point. However, as I've an earlier UK car, although I have the Audio 20 I also have both the control wheel AND the touchpad thing that sits over it. I note that you don't have the touchpad? The UK cars lost the touchpad for all models at the same time as the Panasonic head-unit started to be fitted in the factory, and it was only then onwards included on Comand cars. I'm wondering, is this because the touchpad won't work with the Panasonic head unit? Do you know anyone who's retrofitted the Panasonic who also has the touchpad?

The mid-2018 onwards facelift cars have gone back to having the touchpad on all models here, but I can't be sure if it's kept the same Panasonic head unit...

Thanks!

Simon

Last edited by TheSJDRising; 02-05-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:50 PM

Just to correct myself there, the facelift cars that do have Comand continue to have the touchpad, and those that don't have Comand continue NOT to have the touchpad.

I've managed to find both Facelift Comand and non-Comand cars, both with the Smartphone pack, and both have the same head unit:3U1Head Unit ECE/ROW
The Comand car had the touchpad and the non-Comand didn't.

However, that doesn't help us with the pre-facelift cars as I'm interested in the Panasonic unit and whether my touchpad will continue to work.

Last edited by TheSJDRising; 02-05-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by TheSJDRising
Just to correct myself there, the facelift cars that do have Comand continue to have the touchpad, and those that don't have Comand continue NOT to have the touchpad.

I've managed to find both Facelift Comand and non-Comand cars, both with the Smartphone pack, and both have the same head unit:3U1Head Unit ECE/ROW
The Comand car had the touchpad and the non-Comand didn't.

However, that doesn't help us with the pre-facelift cars as I'm interested in the Panasonic unit and whether my touchpad will continue to work.
touchpad doesn't matter. can be coded in regardless. screen size determines if you have command or audio 20 head unit. the resolution for each headunit is fixed thus you cant use screens interchangably. the audio 20 will only display on part of the command screen.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:15 AM

Question

touchpad doesn't matter. can be coded in regardless. screen size determines if you have command or audio 20 head unit. the resolution for each headunit is fixed thus you cant use screens interchangably. the audio 20 will only display on part of the command screen.
Thanks for confirming.

One last thought I had last night - If I upgrade to a Panasonic Head Unit (but of course have a 2016 car) does that mean that I won't be able to get a Garmin SD card to work with it any more? I mean, will the SD card (even a new one) identify that the head unit it's plugged into identify that the car is 'too old' to have that head unit?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by TheSJDRising
Thanks for confirming.

One last thought I had last night - If I upgrade to a Panasonic Head Unit (but of course have a 2016 car) does that mean that I won't be able to get a Garmin SD card to work with it any more? I mean, will the SD card (even a new one) identify that the head unit it's plugged into identify that the car is 'too old' to have that head unit?
navigation cards are locked to the original head unit when installed. also the Panasonic head unit also has a different part number for the navigation sd anyway. get a new navi sd and youll have navigation on new headunit as well. I never bought it since I just use waze everywhere now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W205 C43/450/400/300 Pre MY18 Carplay/Android Retro Fit Attempt