Sponsored by:

C43 replace MPH speedometer with KMH

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 43 AMG
C43 replace MPH speedometer with KMH

A few months ago I bought a salvaged 2017 C 43 from Copart and it has just arrived in Europe, so I am about to start the rebuild project in a few weeks. One of the things I would like to do is to replace the MPH speedometer with a KMH one. So for now 3 options come to my mind:

1. Buy an entire KMH instrument cluster from ebay, like this one https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Original-Mer...IAAOSw2CJaqaLZ
In this case would I need to do some kind of software update, or the American software would work with the KMH speedo simply by changing the setting to KMH? Also could you recommend a place where I could find Canadian speedometers for C 43 / GLC 43, just to check if I could get a better price? I couldn't find anything at car-part.com or the Canadian ebay...

2. Is it even possible to replace only the speedometer, not the entire instrument cluster? On older Mercedes models this was possible for sure. If this is possible where could I buy only the speedometer "circle" and what does it take to replace it, in terms of the replacement itself, software etc.

3. Buy a digital dash from the face-lift when it's available in the summer. But I guess nobody knows yet if retrofitting will be even possible. There is even a thread about this on the forum - https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...acelift-2.html

Thanks in advance for your replies
Old 03-16-2018, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
I can't imagine the digital display retrofit working without replacing the steering wheel as well. The left side touch pad on the wheel is the only way to control the display and there are left/right movements in the menus now instead of just up/down. And even beyond that, there are completely different functions on the '19 models than on '17/18s. I doubt that option is feasible without some extreme re-engineering.

I think your best bet would be calling a Canadian/EU dealer to see what they say about a swap. Authentic OEM replacements are running $1350 USD from the online dealer shops, but they don't give an option for MPH vs KMH.