C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it ok to mix brands front and rear tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 10:39 PM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Is it ok to mix brands front and rear tires?

I need a new set of front tires. The tire shop is offering me a set of Continental UHP at a heavy discount cause theyve been sitting on the shelf for 3 years (unused). But I am using Michellins Lattitude Sport 3. Is it ok to mix front and rear tires? What you guys think?
Old 03-28-2018, 10:48 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
I believe they should be matching since the car is AWD, The thread pattern will be different on those tires
Old 03-28-2018, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
As long as they're the same size (/#), you should have no issues.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:45 AM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts
S63, GLE580, Monster 1100S
Some will say you are supposed to keep them all the same and of course that would be ideal but considering tire wear is typically uneven front to back I dont think its an issue. In my younger more monetarily unfortunate years, I had a point where all four tires were of different makes/models/brands and experienced no issues with drivability or handling (rain, snow, dry). The factors that COULD come into play would be tread patterns if driving in heavy rain with pooling conditions, as tread patterns would provide for different water displacement. However, if the tires are new with plenty of tread life, it would be a negligible difference and with traction control, esp, and all of these technological advances I doubt you would have any issues.

I say go for it.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by vincheung
Some will say you are supposed to keep them all the same and of course that would be ideal but considering tire wear is typically uneven front to back I dont think its an issue. In my younger more monetarily unfortunate years, I had a point where all four tires were of different makes/models/brands and experienced no issues with drivability or handling (rain, snow, dry). The factors that COULD come into play would be tread patterns if driving in heavy rain with pooling conditions, as tread patterns would provide for different water displacement. However, if the tires are new with plenty of tread life, it would be a negligible difference and with traction control, esp, and all of these technological advances I doubt you would have any issues.

I say go for it.
^ This. To that end, really the key thing is matching the axles. No different that running slicks in the rear and skinnies up front on a drag car. Definitely don't want to mix one tire on the driver side and something different on passenger side. I'm waiting on a pair of Pilot Sport AS3's to show up to replace my completely worn fronts.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:56 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
^ This. To that end, really the key thing is matching the axles. No different that running slicks in the rear and skinnies up front on a drag car. Definitely don't want to mix one tire on the driver side and something different on passenger side. I'm waiting on a pair of Pilot Sport AS3's to show up to replace my completely worn fronts.
^
Me too. The P zeroes on the front are gone. Didn’t quite get 10,000 miles out of them but very close. Am replacing all four though.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:09 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
YES. I have been doing this for years on my previously owned cars. As long as they match side to side, you are good to go. If you push the car really hard with traction off, you might notice that the tires have have different slip points during cornering though.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
I agree with everything said thus far. I want to add that, imho, tires are the second most important "mod" you can do for your car for all around performance -- acceleration, cornering, braking, and overall safety. Don't skimp on tires -- get the best tires that fit your particular needs that you can afford. The best mod in my opinion are advanced driving courses.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Aside from everything mentioned above - I wouldn't buy 3 year old tires - even unused.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'17 G63 AMG
Originally Posted by threefirs
Aside from everything mentioned above - I wouldn't buy 3 year old tires - even unused.
^^This. Don't worry so much about them sitting on your shop's shelf for 3yrs as much as what the date code on the sidewall tells you.