Sponsored by:

2018 Turbo not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 AMG
2018 Turbo not working

Today I pulled off the light pretty hard (Sport+ and full pedal), then slowed down and made a turn, step on the pedal again and found that the car does not accelerate as hard as it is supposed to. The boost bar on the display doesn't move at all and I feel that the car is only delivering half of its power...switched off ignition and waited 30 minutes and the problem is still there. Besides turbo lost, everything else seems to be working fine and no warning light on the dash.

I can't really find anything about this for C43, but some C63 users had the same problem. Has anyone encounter this on C43 and got it fixed?
Old 04-26-2018, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Well if the 63 guys have run into this, then what was the issue? Sounds like a massive boost leak.

Do you know your basic way around under the hood? If so, take the plastic engine cover piece off and look at all the connections from the turbos (underneath intake boxes) to the intercooler (between radiator and motor) to the intake manifold (Top front of motor). See if any big hoses or little vacuum lines are loose. You can have someone rev the motor up a little bit and it might help if this is the case.

Though I'm not used to having a new car so as I type this I guess the best course of action is to take the car to the dealer. I mean, shot in the dark here, but your 2018 Benz did come with a warranty, right? lol
Old 04-26-2018, 12:17 AM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
Well if the 63 guys have run into this, then what was the issue? Sounds like a massive boost leak.

Do you know your basic way around under the hood? If so, take the plastic engine cover piece off and look at all the connections from the turbos (underneath intake boxes) to the intercooler (between radiator and motor) to the intake manifold (Top front of motor). See if any big hoses or little vacuum lines are loose. You can have someone rev the motor up a little bit and it might help if this is the case.

Though I'm not used to having a new car so as I type this I guess the best course of action is to take the car to the dealer. I mean, shot in the dark here, but your 2018 Benz did come with a warranty, right? lol
The C63 guys suspect it is caused by high temperature and it was intermittent to them which mostly recoverable by restarting the car. Some of them took it to the dealer and have the software updated and didn't see the issue again.

I have scheduled an appointment for Friday, just hoping there is a simple fix to avoid bringing in my daily car and not knowing when I can get it back.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Ya it's probably something simple and dumb like that. These cars don't really suffer from things like hoses falling off much, but who knows. And you know that they give you a courtesy vehicle to drive while they work on it, ya?
Old 04-26-2018, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
May be the car is in semi limp mode. Go to the command menu-> dynamic select-> engine data. See what kind of numbers you get there and report back.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DIVINE AMG
Take a look at the lower "boost" tube located on the bottom of the liquid-to-air core. It is the boost tube going from the turbocharger to the physical "intercooler" core. Clamps maybe loose and/or the tube might be off. Take a peak.
Just curious, do you have all of those cars with you now?
Old 04-26-2018, 10:59 PM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by DIVINE AMG
Take a look at the lower "boost" tube located on the bottom of the liquid-to-air core. It is the boost tube going from the turbocharger to the physical "intercooler" core. Clamps maybe loose and/or the tube might be off. Take a peak.
I opened up the engine cover and this tube seems to be out of place. I am guessing this is exactly what you are describing?
The following 3 users liked this post by MBkent:
DIVINE AMG (04-27-2018), munis (04-27-2018), Star4life (07-13-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG
Originally Posted by MBkent
I opened up the engine cover and this tube seems to be out of place. I am guessing this is exactly what you are describing?
That is definitely the problem.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Awesome job diagnosing the problem guys. Exactly what the forum is for! I am surprised though that something like was not caught by the electronics.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by munis
I am surprised though that something like was not caught by the electronics.
For real! OP, are you sure that this didn't start flashing on your center screen?

Old 04-30-2018, 10:25 PM

C43 AMG
The car has returned. It took longer than expected as they said they need to remove the front to put it back properly. Car is back to normal with boost and it pulls as good as before.

They also did a software update as I mentioned the "Sport+ mode with low speed" issue, although it only happened to me once since I have it for 5 months.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
For real! OP, are you sure that this didn't start flashing on your center screen?

man, if you’re gonna sh*t post at least make it funny
Old 05-01-2018, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by unr1
man, if you’re gonna sh*t post at least make it funny
"sh*t post?" What does that mean exactly, because if it means what I think it means, then you yourself just 'sh*t posted' by quoting an alleged 'sh*t posted'

From now on I shall call you: Sh*t host
The following users liked this post:
MRBE550 (05-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C450
Originally Posted by MBkent
The car has returned. It took longer than expected as they said they need to remove the front to put it back properly. Car is back to normal with boost and it pulls as good as before.

They also did a software update as I mentioned the "Sport+ mode with low speed" issue, although it only happened to me once since I have it for 5 months.
Hello I'm currently having this issue where it feels like I'm receiving half power then I used to in sports+ mode .. curious if you knew what software update code you got that fixed the issue. My dealer is currently stating my car is performing how its supposed to but i can feel the large difference in power loss recently