Power throttling at high speeds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes-AMG C43 Sedan
Power throttling at high speeds

Vehicle:
2017 Mercedes-AMG C43 Sedan (~2,300 km/~1,400 miles)

Modifications:
Eurocharged v3.0 performance engine software, K&N air filters, ASR exhaust flap control

Nature of the issue:
I recently purchased a Dragy GPS performance meter and performed a few runs to test the performance of my C43. I had the oil changed just after breaking-in the engine and this is the first time I've really ran the vehicle hard from a stand-still. The issue that I'm experiencing is that, when I reach ~165 km/h (~105 mph) during full-throttle, the engine reduces power and it feels as if I'm easing-up on the gas pedal. This is substantiated by information on the "Engine Data" menu on the infotainment system as it drops from maximum power to ~270 hp. What is strange is that this issue only occurs if I run the vehicle hard from a stand-still. If I'm cruising at ~100 km/h (~62 mph) and go full-throttle, I can reach speeds >200 km/h (~124 mph) without experiencing a power reduction. I brought my C43 to the Mercedes dealership this morning and they ran a full diagnostic check via their Xentry system and found no issues or stored fault codes and she shop foreman performed a reset of all systems; however, the issue still persists. According to Dragy, the performance is where it should be for this vehicle with these modifications (0 - 60 mph in 3.68s), although quarter mile times suffer as power is reduced before the full quarter mile is finished, and therefore, also results in a lower trap speed (11.91s @ 110 mph).

Any suggestions, thoughts or guidance is appreciated; thank you.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
I wonder if this is a cooling issue and the car is pulling timing?

What temps are you driving in? The car will cool better at high speeds which might explain why you don't have the issue at highway speeds. Maybe the increased boost pressure is putting a strain on the cooling system?
Old 05-04-2018, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Did the dealership see you had a Eurocharged tune when they did the test? Also did you have any updates to the transmission software or fuel system? I know there are updates for certain c43.. maybe all your software needs to be updated since the tune is for the latest softwares in the TCU and ECU? Also what is the build date of your c43? Is it an early production model for 2017?

Last edited by Gungaslow; 05-04-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:27 AM

Mercedes-AMG C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by HTXgearhead
I wonder if this is a cooling issue and the car is pulling timing?

What temps are you driving in? The car will cool better at high speeds which might explain why you don't have the issue at highway speeds. Maybe the increased boost pressure is putting a strain on the cooling system?
Ambient air temperature was ~10 degrees Celsius. Engine, transmission and coolant temperatures were all in normal operating ranges and the engine was warmed-up prior to being pushed.

Originally Posted by Gungaslow
Did the dealership see you had a Eurocharged tune when they did the test? Also did you have any updates to the transmission software or fuel system? I know there are updates for certain c43.. maybe all your software needs to be updated since the tune is for the latest softwares in the TCU and ECU? Also what is the build date of your c43? Is it an early production model for 2017?
The dealership is aware that I had my ECU flashed by Eurocharged. All system updates were done prior to having the ECU flashed and the build date of this vehicle is February of 2017.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:33 AM

Mercedes-AMG C43 Sedan
For the benefit of those who have a Eurocharge tune (potentially other tuners as well), I contacted Eurocharged regarding this issue and received this response:

Originally Posted by Eurocharged Canada
Thank you for your feedback. This is an issue that these cars have where at certain conditions they hit a boost limiter. We are working on a updated software to overcome this issue in the car. I will keep you posted on this
Clearly this information would have been beneficial to know prior to spending ~$2,400 on a tune, but I'm glad they're aware of this issue and hopefully they remedy it shortly.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:42 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Originally Posted by Talent
For the benefit of those who have a Eurocharge tune (potentially other tuners as well), I contacted Eurocharged regarding this issue and received this response:

Clearly this information would have been beneficial to know prior to spending ~$2,400 on a tune, but I'm glad they're aware of this issue and hopefully they remedy it shortly.
Loosen up. This stuff comes up once the tunes get plenty of road testing. It’s a boost limiter that needs to be adjusted - be thankful that the limiters are still in place and working. Some tuners either remove limiters, or don’t even know how to adjust them.
The following users liked this post:
maximus0076 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 01:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Benz C43 AMG

You shouldn't do this. If a tuner sends you an email or anyone , you should keep it personal, remember these tuners and or dealers are only here to help us
Old 05-08-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
18' C43 cab
Ambient air temperature was ~10 degrees Celsius. Engine, transmission and coolant temperatures were all in normal operating ranges and the engine was warmed-up prior to being pushed.

The dealership is aware that I had my ECU flashed by Eurocharged. All system updates were done prior to having the ECU flashed and the build date of this vehicle is February of 2017.
Did your dealer tell you, "Don't expect us to honor any warranty claims on the engine and driveline."
Old 05-10-2018, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Coupe
Been considering purchasing a tune from AMR or Eurocharged. Wonder if AMR tuned C43's are running into this issue as well...
Old 05-11-2018, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by youngster77
Been considering purchasing a tune from AMR or Eurocharged. Wonder if AMR tuned C43's are running into this issue as well...
i myself have AMR RV3.1 and have no issues with boost at all.. from 0-1/4 mile is great and also from 60-120 no problem.. I also had their SV Version prior to the latest rv3.1 and that was bulletproof also!
The following 3 users liked this post by Gungaslow:
AMR Performance (05-11-2018), AMR_Matt (05-11-2018), DIVINE AMG (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 04:14 PM

Received 176 Likes on 104 Posts
2020 GLC 63
My guess is those v3 tunes are requesting too much boost for pump gas, the car might be knocking on WOT/ hard-launches causing the ecu to pull timing or go into a safe map. This is just a guess
Old 05-11-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Originally Posted by 18bora
My guess is those v3 tunes are requesting too much boost for pump gas, the car might be knocking on WOT/ hard-launches causing the ecu to pull timing or go into a safe map. This is just a guess
Not a bad guess, but not right. This is what you could expect from a piggy back..

The boost limiters just need to be simply adjusted. The barometric pressure sensor is reading high so it cuts the boost.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:49 PM

2020 GLC 63
Originally Posted by threefirs
Not a bad guess, but not right. This is what you could expect from a piggy back..

The boost limiters just need to be simply adjusted. The barometric pressure sensor is reading high so it cuts the boost.
Believe it or not, my piggyback has never done that or go into limp. I'm not personally attacking anyone, just stating facts. Also the jb1 has a built in safety, if you try to be stupid with map6, it will pull back before it's too late and before reaching limp.

Does anyone have a v3 dyno sheet with boost and afr readings? It might tell you what's going on, v3 from any of the big 3 tuners.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:07 PM

2020 GLC 63
OP, throw a can of octane booster in the tank or 30% e85 and see if you still have the same issue.