C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C43 in snow???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Porsche 996TT and 2017 Macan S, 93 Jeep YJ (too many mods), Audi A5, '05.5 Jetta TDI
Arrow C43 in snow???

Hi everyone....

The "Ugly" question raised its head here in the house so I will spell it out....

"How does the C43 drive in snow???"

1. We always get dedicated snows for all our cars.
2. The 2019, I know no one has tested it, but does it make a difference? "Slippery"
3. This will be a daily driver for us in the mountains.

This will be my wife's daily driver believe it or not .....but we "swap" cars every other day.

I would love to hear the pro's and con's of the C43 (4matic) in snow......

It is really hard to see videos or "real world" experiences with it.

Our Audi A5 was INCREDIBLE in snow so that and our 2005 Jetta TDI with dedicated snows....worked great! If it gets over 6" both did well and over that my '93 Jeep Wrangler would be the driver for the day.

Since we have NO comparisons on vehicles, we would love some owner input!

Old 08-21-2018, 01:07 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
You will find many owners on this forum are a) daily drivers and b) live in snowy lands. A surprising amount of Canadians as well (surprising because buying cars there is awful).

anyways, this is a four wheel drive car (albeit 66 33) but still that is better than any FWD or RWD car. Additionally, I use all seasons as do many folks here, after many tires threads the preferred all season is the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I haven’t had those tires but have seen all the tire threads. All season tires sufficed for my winters here and driving in the mountains.

i came from a front wheel drive boat and grew up in a 2 wheel drive car. So I partially believe the car is only going to be as smart as you are.

if you are in MN type winters, maybe a set of winter tires would be good, and with those especially I would say not one person has complained of the cars capabilities with winters.

The following users liked this post:
pop.tremuloides (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 03:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
I daily drove my 2018 c43 through all of last winter with sottozero 3 winters on it, and had 0 issues with traction during normal driving even when the snow got pretty thick.
pop.tremuloides (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
I look forward to snow driving I didn't have any issues in +/- 6" snow in Nebraska this last year with the stock Conti all-season RFs. Performed every bit as good as my old A4 Quattro. With a proper set of snow tires, I would pick it over the Jeep! You and your wife are gonna be just fine.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by FirstMBAMG

anyways, this is a four wheel drive car (albeit 66 33) but still that is better than any FWD or RWD car. Additionally, I use all seasons as do many folks here, after many tires threads the preferred all season is the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I haven’t had those tires but have seen all the tire threads. All season tires sufficed for my winters here and driving in the mountains.
66 + 33 = 99
Old 08-21-2018, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by HTXgearhead

66 + 33 = 99
In reality, it's a 31/69 front to rear split, correct?
Old 08-21-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
2009 C230
With winters on, it is excellent in the snow.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by zibby43
Yeah
Old 08-22-2018, 08:15 AM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
C43, GLS450
Originally Posted by zibby43
Yes. C450s are 33/67
Old 08-22-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by FirstMBAMG
You will find many owners on this forum are a) daily drivers and b) live in snowy lands. A surprising amount of Canadians as well (surprising because buying cars there is awful).

i came from a front wheel drive boat and grew up in a 2 wheel drive car. So I partially believe the car is only going to be as smart as you are.

if you are in MN type winters, maybe a set of winter tires would be good, and with those especially I would say not one person has complained of the cars capabilities with winters.

What?

Old 08-22-2018, 08:20 PM

Porsche 996TT and 2017 Macan S, 93 Jeep YJ (too many mods), Audi A5, '05.5 Jetta TDI
Thanks everyone!

I believe the 2019 C43 is a 69/31 split but either way it is some sort of all wheel drive which we like!

After growing up in Maine and Mass, we always had dedicated snows for our vehicles. Not sure when "all seasons" came out but to be honest I am not a fan. Storage can be a pain but winter tires are always a HUGE plus!

Old 08-22-2018, 08:36 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 C43 Sedan
I did 3 winters in W205 C300 4matic which is just a little more front biased than my new C43. It would just dominate even very heavy snow. It was freaking amazing in the snow with Pirelli Cinturado all seasons. Snow driving was fun. I don't expect any different from my C43. Of course, Snow is one thing I would not let deter me from getting a C43. The 4matic system is excellent. With dedicated snow tires it probably is even better, but I suspect you could get away with all seasons.

Note that not all all season tires are marketed as being good in deeper snow. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for example which is popular is only held out by Michelin as being good with light snow. That probably won't stop me from getting them when I need tires, however. Others may have actually tried that one in deeper snow.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Snarfalus
I did 3 winters in W205 C300 4matic which is just a little more front biased than my new C43. It would just dominate even very heavy snow. It was freaking amazing in the snow with Pirelli Cinturado all seasons. Snow driving was fun. I don't expect any different from my C43. Of course, Snow is one thing I would not let deter me from getting a C43. The 4matic system is excellent. With dedicated snow tires it probably is even better, but I suspect you could get away with all seasons.

Note that not all all season tires are marketed as being good in deeper snow. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for example which is popular is only held out by Michelin as being good with light snow. That probably won't stop me from getting them when I need tires, however. Others may have actually tried that one in deeper snow.
Great thoughts Snarfalus!

Thanks for sharing the real world opinions!

We get BIG snows and sometimes the roads are not plowed where we are at. Granted, the C43 might be in a touchy situation in those situations, but we are not looking for something to get us thru everything!

Our Audi, God Bless it's soul!...and VW both do tremendously with snows on. What I am getting at in my initial post is this....with that much "available" power is is something she can drive (with snows) and not experience any issues?

The only reason I am asking this is with 385 HP on the 2019 I was wondering if when the car is put into the "Slippery" mode that is advertised would that be better than "Comfort" or another mode?

Our Macan S is always in Sport/Sport + when I drive. If it is out in snow, I "degrade" it to Comfort.....simply because the High RPM's in both modes make my drive that much more complex when snow/ice is around if that makes sense.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited by pop.tremuloides; 08-22-2018 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-2018, 10:12 PM

2018 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by pop.tremuloides
Great thoughts Snarfalus!

Thanks for sharing the real world opinions!

We get BIG snows and sometimes the roads are not plowed where we are at. Granted, the C43 might be in a touchy situation in those situations, but we are not looking for something to get us thru everything!

Our Audi, God Bless it's soul!...and VW do tremendously with snows on. What I am getting at in my initial post is this....with that much "available" power is is something she can drive (with snows) and not experience any issues?

The only reason I am asking this is with 385 HP on the 2019 I was wondering if when the car is put into the "Slippery" mode that is advertised would that be better than "Comfort" or another mode?

Our Macan S is always in Sport/Sport + when I drive. If it is out in snow, I "degrade" it to Comfort.....simply because the High RPM's in both modes make my drive that much more complex when snow/ice is around if that makes sense.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
The traction control will prevent that from happening and the comfort or eco mode or whatever is on the 19 will keep RPMs low. You have to manually disable the traction control with a special button on the center stack. First it goes to Sport, and if you hold it down you can turn it off but it isn’t entirely off. With it on, if will cut power if necessary in the snow. Sport and Sport plus does not disable traction control. You can’t really spin the tires in this one. Its definately a winter machine.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:18 PM

The traction control will prevent that from happening and the comfort or eco mode or whatever is on the 19 will keep RPMs low. You have to manually disable the traction control with a special button on the center stack. First it goes to Sport, and if you hold it down you can turn it off but it isn’t entirely off. With it on, if will cut power if necessary in the snow. Sport and Sport plus does not disable traction control. You can’t really spin the tires in this one. Its definately a winter machine.
NICE! Thanks for responding so quickly!

The RPM issue can rear its "ugly" stuff when not driven correctly. My 911 Turbo is a PITA in the snow but to be honest, I only take it out for fun in a parking lot with snow......It has full time summers on it so it is a BLAST to drive in a wide open parking lot with an inch or two or snow.

Good to know that the Sport and Sport + does not turn off traction control! I would hate to have her take it out and be in any other mode and have the car do something different than what she would expect.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:23 PM

2018 C43 Sedan
The traction control is very aggressive and will prevent that from happening and the comfort or eco mode or whatever is on the 19 will keep RPMs low. You have to manually disable the traction control with a special button on the center stack. First it goes to Sport, and if you hold it down you can turn it off but it isn’t entirely off. With it on, if will cut power if necessary in the snow. Sport and Sport plus does not disable traction control, so those systems will kick in on any mode. You can’t really spin the tires in this one. It’s definitely a winter ready machine. Obviously you have to know how to drive in the snow and exercise due care, but it is probably as safe as a sedan gets. Audi quattro might be slightly better—probably pretty close but not sure. From what I read it is better than BMW’s XDrive.

I frankly look forward to “snow driving”.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:32 PM

2018 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by pop.tremuloides
NICE! Thanks for responding so quickly!

The RPM issue can rear its "ugly" stuff when not driven correctly. My 911 Turbo is a PITA in the snow but to be honest, I only take it out for fun in a parking lot with snow......It has full time summers on it so it is a BLAST to drive in a wide open parking lot with an inch or two or snow.

Good to know that the Sport and Sport + does not turn off traction control! I would hate to have her take it out and be in any other mode and have the car do something different than what she would expect.
I would double check since mine is an 18 and they did make changes in the 19, but It definitely is on all the time on the 18 unless you deliberately disable.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:34 PM

The traction control is very aggressive and will prevent that from happening and the comfort or eco mode or whatever is on the 19 will keep RPMs low. You have to manually disable the traction control with a special button on the center stack. First it goes to Sport, and if you hold it down you can turn it off but it isn’t entirely off. With it on, if will cut power if necessary in the snow. Sport and Sport plus does not disable traction control, so those systems will kick in on any mode. You can’t really spin the tires in this one. It’s definitely a winter ready machine. Obviously you have to know how to drive in the snow and exercise due care, but it is probably as safe as a sedan gets. Audi quattro might be slightly better—probably pretty close but not sure. From what I read it is better than BMW’s XDrive.

I frankly look forward to “snow driving”.
Thanks! In our Audi it was simply DRIVE and FORGET....the Quattro simply drove for her and got home just fine.

Good to know on the C43! That is what we are looking for.

Personally, I grew up in snow and driving with a Chevy Malibu station wagon and many other cars that had NONE of these "high tech" systems. We all got home safe!

These days, the traction control things are awesome! However, they do not take away from practicing in the vehicle someone is operating!

And I am an advocate of getting dedicated SNOW tires! Why even chance a situation when something could be avoided due to inclement weather!
Old 08-22-2018, 10:42 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Getting a c43 in canada has been more expensive by what I have seen