Sponsored by:

Performance Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43 2018
Performance Exhaust affects fuel?

1. anyone know if turning on the performance Exhaust affects fuel efficiency?

2 how much of a difference is there in fuel consumption between comfort mode and eco mode?

thanks in advance

Last edited by ACE Tiger; 08-23-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Popular Reply

08-22-2018, 08:22 PM
Snarfalus

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by ACE Tiger

2 how much of a difference is there in fuel consumption between comfort mode and eco mode?

thanks in advance
The idea that fuel economy is not relevant to this car because it has an AMG badge is absurd. It is a very good question and the designers have clearly taken steps to ensure you can get better fuel economy when you are not engaged in spirited driving. I have said this before, but not everyone has TIME or inclination to stop for gas as often as this car demands. I drive it for my work and I do not always want to expend a half tank of gas on the way to a meeting.

I did some tests myself to try and figure out all of the above. From what I can tell, economy mode is by far the most efficient mode and I see about 27-28 MPG on the highway in that mode. I have actually seen it into the 30s in economy mode. The same driving in Sport mode or Sport + will probably not get you those number--more like 25 highway, 23 if you drive spiritedly and as low as 18-20 if you drive it like you stole it. In comfort, I tend to see lower MPG. Economy mode also has a sail mode whereby you can coast or "sail" if you have enough momentum or charge built up. This can lead to noticeable ( but perhaps not significant) improvements over comfort mode, but it depends on the driving situation. For highway cruising, both modes will probably have you in 9th gear most of the time so there will be little difference. In a bit of traffic, you will probably see better MPG from economy mode. I find economy mode quite relaxing and pleasant and I like the gearing in that mode better than comfort. The sail feature is hard to utilize because it shuts off as soon as you apply the brake, so I find I never sail for more than few moments. But it can add up to some measurable savings I think.

In stop and go traffic economy mode is awesome because it spares you from expending more fuel than you have to and I have seen mixed highway cruising and 25 minutes of stop and go come in at 25 MPG average for the trip, which is great for a car like this. I drive fast too when I cruise.

I do believe there may be a slight hit in MPG associated with having the performance exhaust on, but it is hard to measure. I tend to think that in economy and comfort mode, the gas mileage is a bit better with it turned off. The way I tested was on a flat stretch of highway cruising with it on and resetting the MPG counter and seeing where it landed. Then I did the same with it off. It isn't a good test because there are variations in terrain but I found I got better numbers with it off.

I almost never use comfort I usually go from eco to sport and skip comfort as I just find it redundant especially with no sail feature. Ultimately it depends on how heavy you are on the throttle--but you could hit 28 or 29 MPG easy on an open road if you drive normally. The car is very versatile.

The Prius jokes are really nonsense, because if you gun this car in eco you are going to leave most cars in the dust, but the transmission is just a little slow to meet your request.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Hi all,
Kinda new c43 owner here

I have been driving my 2018 c43 for about 3 months now. (Playing around with the optios and all).

Most of the time, i drive my c43 on eco mode but...
Lately, i've been driving it on eco mode with performance exhaust on (i do hear some burps from sometimes while getting decent mileage). I do see a minor difference in fuel consumption when turning on PE. (About 0.5-2L/km higher gas consumption with PE on)

3. Any fuel saving tips?

thanks in advance
You bought an AMG, gas mileage is irrelevant. Drive everywhere in sport plus.
The following users liked this post:
Slinger24 (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 02:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
N/A
Hi all,
Kinda new c43 owner here

I have been driving my 2018 c43 for about 3 months now. (Playing around with the optios and all).

Most of the time, i drive my c43 on eco mode but...
Lately, i've been driving it on eco mode with performance exhaust on (i do hear some burps from sometimes while getting decent mileage). I do see a minor difference in fuel consumption when turning on PE. (About 0.5-2L/km higher gas consumption with PE on)

3. Any fuel saving tips?

thanks in advance
1. Who cares, the sound is worth it!
2. Don't know, only drive sport +
3. Yeah, buy a Prius. You bought a turbo V6 with 362 HP and you only seem interested in fuel economy, I suggest you get rid of it.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
1. Yes, because you'll be constantly cruising in low gear to make it pop and bark on the overrun.
2. Nobody drives these in Eco mode unless your're on empty and flat freeway.
3. If you're looking for tips to save fuel you're looking at the wrong vehicle. Save your money and get a C300 instead. The C300 sport I had as a loaner got about 20-25 mpg in with my lead foot in heavy city traffic. It would probably get >30mpg on the highway if someone more patient than I was driving it.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 C43 Sedan

thanks in advance
The idea that fuel economy is not relevant to this car because it has an AMG badge is absurd. It is a very good question and the designers have clearly taken steps to ensure you can get better fuel economy when you are not engaged in spirited driving. I have said this before, but not everyone has TIME or inclination to stop for gas as often as this car demands. I drive it for my work and I do not always want to expend a half tank of gas on the way to a meeting.

I did some tests myself to try and figure out all of the above. From what I can tell, economy mode is by far the most efficient mode and I see about 27-28 MPG on the highway in that mode. I have actually seen it into the 30s in economy mode. The same driving in Sport mode or Sport + will probably not get you those number--more like 25 highway, 23 if you drive spiritedly and as low as 18-20 if you drive it like you stole it. In comfort, I tend to see lower MPG. Economy mode also has a sail mode whereby you can coast or "sail" if you have enough momentum or charge built up. This can lead to noticeable ( but perhaps not significant) improvements over comfort mode, but it depends on the driving situation. For highway cruising, both modes will probably have you in 9th gear most of the time so there will be little difference. In a bit of traffic, you will probably see better MPG from economy mode. I find economy mode quite relaxing and pleasant and I like the gearing in that mode better than comfort. The sail feature is hard to utilize because it shuts off as soon as you apply the brake, so I find I never sail for more than few moments. But it can add up to some measurable savings I think.

In stop and go traffic economy mode is awesome because it spares you from expending more fuel than you have to and I have seen mixed highway cruising and 25 minutes of stop and go come in at 25 MPG average for the trip, which is great for a car like this. I drive fast too when I cruise.

I do believe there may be a slight hit in MPG associated with having the performance exhaust on, but it is hard to measure. I tend to think that in economy and comfort mode, the gas mileage is a bit better with it turned off. The way I tested was on a flat stretch of highway cruising with it on and resetting the MPG counter and seeing where it landed. Then I did the same with it off. It isn't a good test because there are variations in terrain but I found I got better numbers with it off.

I almost never use comfort I usually go from eco to sport and skip comfort as I just find it redundant especially with no sail feature. Ultimately it depends on how heavy you are on the throttle--but you could hit 28 or 29 MPG easy on an open road if you drive normally. The car is very versatile.

The Prius jokes are really nonsense, because if you gun this car in eco you are going to leave most cars in the dust, but the transmission is just a little slow to meet your request.
The following 10 users liked this post by Snarfalus:
abhishekmahajan (02-11-2020), ACE Tiger (08-22-2018), AMG C43 3LV6 (08-22-2018), mykthex (08-23-2018), Nazgvl (09-04-2018), NJC63Fan (01-15-2019), pop.tremuloides (08-22-2018), Rckytp1974 (09-04-2018), srini (01-07-2019), Travis_MB (08-28-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-22-2018, 08:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Porsche 996TT and 2017 Macan S, 93 Jeep YJ (too many mods), Audi A5, '05.5 Jetta TDI
Talking

Originally Posted by Snarfalus

Excellent response to a great question!

I too was wondering the exact same thing last week.

When we purchase our 2019 C43, it will be a daily driver for my wife who drives the speed limit and is conscious of fuel economy. I, however, will be trading back and forth with her and want the "snorts, burps, pops...etc"....so there is a blend in how this vehicle will work during the week.

Thanks again for the excellent response!
Old 08-22-2018, 09:25 PM

C43 2018
Thumbs up

Thanks a bunch!!! thats the response I needed!

I know this car is not meant to be the most fuel efficient car (although I find that it is given the nature of this car), I use either eco or sports+ for the same reason.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
I was of the understanding you shouldnt put this car in sports plus mode until you have given the car an opportunity to heat up?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:24 PM

Porsche 996TT and 2017 Macan S, 93 Jeep YJ (too many mods), Audi A5, '05.5 Jetta TDI
Originally Posted by AMG C43 3LV6
I was of the understanding you shouldnt put this car in sports plus mode until you have given the car an opportunity to heat up?
I do not have a manual for the C43.

But I have always let the oil get up to temperature on our Porsche cars before doing ANY spirited driving.

Many of the manuals nowadays seem to say just start up and go...."no need for warmup_ but that is a different thing from driving spiritedly......

Maybe MB is different.

AMG C43 3LV6 (09-03-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 10:32 PM

C43 2018

Thanks!! Exactly what I was looking for lol

I know the car is not meant to be the most fuel efficient (though it is given the nature of this car). I drive the car either in eco or sports+ for exact same reason
pop.tremuloides (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:21 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
I mean I envy all of you to be able to drive in sports+ all the time, It's not fun when you're in city traffic all the time. Eco mode is useful, but i find the "sailing feature" annoying. The constant disengaging and re-enaging of the transmisission is cringe. I find the start/stop feature in traffic to be cringe aswell. I hate hearing the engine constantly turn on and off. I minimize using these features. I try to drive sport+ as much as i can. I find the regular sport mode useless lol. Nothing compares to sport+
So its comfort or sport+ for me.

To answer your question, I average about 14-17mpg, Some days, its all sport+, some days i drive like a granny. You could get "good" mpg in this car.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/mercedes-benz/c43_amg

Last edited by C43Ayemgee; 08-22-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
maybe i should use E mode more often, i usually drive with C mode, most of the times i fill up gas when it shows low gas and wont show you the miles left.
i use Sport+ only when i overtake someone on freeway or try to show off.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:03 AM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
I read somewhere online that when breaking in a new engine its best to keep it in COMFORT mode for the first 1500KM.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C220
Is it true that the exhaust in the facelifted model (2019) is much quieter than the previous one? People have been saying that it sounds more high pitched much like an m3/m4, instead of the rumbly deep noise.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:07 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Phill.newgen
Is it true that the exhaust in the facelifted model (2019) is much quieter than the previous one? People have been saying that it sounds more high pitched much like an m3/m4, instead of the rumbly deep noise.
Some of the MY19 are showing up in GB. Hopefully some more videos soon we'll all be able to tell the sound on an actual production model.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by AMG C43 3LV6
I read somewhere online that when breaking in a new engine its best to keep it in COMFORT mode for the first 1500KM.
I reached out to MB customer service directly in regards to engine break in for the MY19 car. They said same as the previous years and provided the attached for reference. I know there's different schools on thought on break in though on these and various other forums. I tend to follow the manufacturer guidelines myself.
The following 3 users liked this post by MVEOVR:
AMG C43 3LV6 (09-04-2018), NJC63Fan (01-15-2019), pop.tremuloides (09-04-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 AMG C43 Sedan
Talking

Originally Posted by HTXgearhead

You bought an AMG, gas mileage is irrelevant. Drive everywhere in sport plus.
^This.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:48 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by pop.tremuloides
Excellent response to a great question!

I too was wondering the exact same thing last week.

When we purchase our 2019 C43, it will be a daily driver for my wife who drives the speed limit and is conscious of fuel economy. I, however, will be trading back and forth with her and want the "snorts, burps, pops...etc"....so there is a blend in how this vehicle will work during the week.

Thanks again for the excellent response!
Try selling any car to your family (read ... WIFE) if they are fuel conscious. TRUST ME....I deal with this every day. While I love performance, and could give a rats *** about fuel economy, my wife DOES. That is important to her. After almost 30 years of marriage and both of us struggling to make it on low pay checks (LES's) we managed to get to the point in life where we can afford whatever we want for us. One of the reasons we made it this far is because my wife is VERY frugal...fuel economy is a concern of hers. It is not a concern of mine for years but I have to understand where she is coming from.

Originally Posted by Aaron Ramsey

^This.
Aaron.....Some people actually have these questions on fuel economy. When you quoted, I paraphrase, something about having an AMG means you need to not care about fuel economy is absurd. (HTX I think first made the statement)....if another manufacturer had something in this "niche" that our family would like then I would be on another forum. She likes the look...I like the performance for what she wants...

MB is not full of idiots. This vehicle hits a sweet spot and (I believe) they have found it. MB got us looking at their cars and now we are ready to purchase.....and yes some fuel economy stuff does make sense to us. When my wife drives the car 70% of the time she will be happy. When I drive the car.....I will have a TON of fun with it and not look back.

TRUST me I don't consider fuel economy a factor in my purchases. However, I have wife that simply does.

BTW Aaron, I will be up in your 'Neck of the Woods' in a few weeks......GO SOX!

Old 09-04-2018, 06:17 PM

2018 C43 sedan
Try selling any car to your family (read ... WIFE) if they are fuel conscious. TRUST ME....I deal with this every day. While I love performance, and could give a rats *** about fuel economy, my wife DOES. That is important to her. After almost 30 years of marriage and both of us struggling to make it on low pay checks (LES's) we managed to get to the point in life where we can afford whatever we want for us. One of the reasons we made it this far is because my wife is VERY frugal...fuel economy is a concern of hers. It is not a concern of mine for years but I have to understand where she is coming from.

Aaron.....Some people actually have these questions on fuel economy. When you quoted, I paraphrase, something about having an AMG means you need to not care about fuel economy is absurd. (HTX I think first made the statement)....if another manufacturer had something in this "niche" that our family would like then I would be on another forum. She likes the look...I like the performance for what she wants...

MB is not full of idiots. This vehicle hits a sweet spot and (I believe) they have found it. MB got us looking at their cars and now we are ready to purchase.....and yes some fuel economy stuff does make sense to us. When my wife drives the car 70% of the time she will be happy. When I drive the car.....I will have a TON of fun with it and not look back.

TRUST me I don't consider fuel economy a factor in my purchases. However, I have wife that simply does.

BTW Aaron, I will be up in your 'Neck of the Woods' in a few weeks......GO SOX!

Lighten up! Come to think of it, I haven’t checked my gas mileage (maybe I should). I just know that a tank last me a little over a week and I run E30 mix instead of 93.

The pop and crackle noises from the exhaust are all thanks to Mercedes spraying extra fuel into the exhaust. Shows how much they care about gas mileage!
pop.tremuloides (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 07:05 PM

Lighten up! Come to think of it, I haven’t checked my gas mileage (maybe I should). I just know that a tank last me a little over a week and I run E30 mix instead of 93.

The pop and crackle noises from the exhaust are all thanks to Mercedes spraying extra fuel into the exhaust. Shows how much they care about gas mileage!
Your opinion! Nothing to lighten up here

BTW....can you point me to a source that shows that MB is "spraying extra fuel into the exhaust"....serious question. I would really like to know if that is the case.
AMG C43 3LV6 (09-19-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 07:16 PM

BTW....can you point me to a source that shows that MB is "spraying extra fuel into the exhaust"....serious question. I would really like to know if that is the case.

Last edited by pop.tremuloides; 09-04-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: dupe
AMG C43 3LV6 (09-19-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG

I believe it's when the performance exhaust is enabled in sport+, Sport+ uses more fuel according to mercedes. Can't seem to find the link, but i remember reading it somewhere. The burbles and pops is from unburnt fuel which the computer utilizes more in sport+. Honestly, it shouldn't be a noticeable difference, You're not going to lose 1-2mpg with the performance exhaust. I recently went on a mini roadtrip, mpg on highway was 27mpg in eco for 120 miles.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:45 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by C43Ayemgee
I believe it's when the performance exhaust is enabled in sport+, Sport+ uses more fuel according to mercedes. Can't seem to find the link, but i remember reading it somewhere. The burbles and pops is from unburnt fuel which the computer utilizes more in sport+. Honestly, it shouldn't be a noticeable difference, You're not going to lose 1-2mpg with the performance exhaust. I recently went on a mini roadtrip, mpg on highway was 27mpg in eco for 120 miles.
It might do just that....but to quote someone....

" The pop and crackle noises from the exhaust are all thanks to Mercedes spraying extra fuel into the exhaust. Shows how much they care about gas mileage! "

I could care less how MB or AMG tuners on the engine make the sounds...Love them!

However, I would LOVE to know how an "internet warrior" makes a statement that MB is "spraying fuel into the exhaust"

It would be banned in just about every country...and I will be the FIRST to admit that I am WRONG. But this type of hyperbole, in a thread where people are trying to figure out a car to purchase, he/she needs to learn about how vehicles function. Not trying to be a pain in the **** but REALLY....I never knew that MB was circumventing every single EPA or EU standards by "spraying" fuel into the exhaust.

These are the same posts that literally turn people off from a vehicle. It also turns them off from a BRAND!

I'm a Porsche fanatic! Trust me....if the P cars were "spraying" fuel into the exhaust to make a "noise" I would be the FIRST person to call them on the carpet.

My wife and I LOVE the C43 thus far. I will be the first one to admit that I am wrong but if MB (sarcasm) is "spraying" fuel to make the exhaust note the then we will simply walk away.

PERIOD DOT!

EDIT...I would also love to see the fuel line that actually "sprays" things into the exhaust......$20 bucks to show me the plumbing that does just that on the C43!

Last edited by pop.tremuloides; 09-04-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe

" The pop and crackle noises from the exhaust are all thanks to Mercedes spraying extra fuel into the exhaust. Shows how much they care about gas mileage! "

I could care less how MB or AMG tuners on the engine make the sounds...Love them!

However, I would LOVE to know how an "internet warrior" makes a statement that MB is "spraying fuel into the exhaust"

It would be banned in just about every country...and I will be the FIRST to admit that I am WRONG. But this type of hyperbole, in a thread where people are trying to figure out a car to purchase, he/she needs to learn about how vehicles function. Not trying to be a pain in the **** but REALLY....I never knew that MB was circumventing every single EPA or EU standards by "spraying" fuel into the exhaust.

These are the same posts that literally turn people off from a vehicle. It also turns them off from a BRAND!

I'm a Porsche fanatic! Trust me....if the P cars were "spraying" fuel into the exhaust to make a "noise" I would be the FIRST person to call them on the carpet.

My wife and I LOVE the C43 thus far. I will be the first one to admit that I am wrong but if MB (sarcasm) is "spraying" fuel to make the exhaust note the then we will simply walk away.

PERIOD DOT!

EDIT...I would also love to see the fuel line that actually "sprays" things into the exhaust......$20 bucks to show me the plumbing that does just that on the C43!
Dude, what are you trying to say? Your post is just an incoherent word jumble...

All sport car manufacturers have pops, crackles, and burps these days -- they all do so by dumping extra fuel during the exhaust stroke which burns up when it reaches the already-hot exhaust manifold.
pop.tremuloides (09-06-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:15 AM

2018 C43 sedan

PERIOD DOT!

Where to start? The contradictions in your own post are hilarious.

Lets adress your reply in order:
You state that you “don’t care how AMG make engine sounds” yet a few lines later you state “if MB is spraying fuel to make the exhaust note then we will simply walk away.” Let’s see if you hold true to your word. Ready to sell your brand new car?

I was an AMG rep for a Mercedes dealer for 3 years, the pops/bangs are created by adding fuel and removing spark from the cycle so the fuel ignites inside the exhaust (from heat) instead of the cylinder. So my point is correct, I just simplified it to begin with. Raw fuel is combusted by the the heat of the exhaust (pre cat) and travels through the catalytic converter meeting emission standards.

Since you claim to be a Porsche fanatic, maybe you should stick to their brand? Also, in your post yesterday, you said you were waiting for your 2019 C43 to arrive and “ready to make a purchase” yet now you claim, “love our C43 thus far.” Do you have the car or not?

How did you you think the exhaust pops were made?

Way to make an *** out of yourself. Welcome to the C43 forum.

Last edited by HTXgearhead; 09-05-2018 at 10:31 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Performance Exhaust?