Sponsored by:

Coupe vibration on 19' RFTs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:38 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Coupe vibration on 19' RFTs

Spent the weekend driving a handful of family cars - was nice to be back in the C43 at the end of it, but driving other cars made me realize just how brutal the vibration is. I haven't driven another C43 coupe but the vibration you can feel in the car when driving between 100 kmph to 120 kmph is terrilbe. Car has been doing it since day one right off the flat bed that picked it up off the train. Have another vehicle with pretty much the same tires and there is no vibration, so I'm thinking that although the factory 19' tires are trash, it isn't that. Alignment done and it came back near perfect. Tire tread is wearing exactly as expected according MB as well. Anyone else experiencing this with a Coupe on 19' RFTs? Pretty close to writing off this platform as a whole and perhaps going back to something more refined.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 c43 AMG
Balance tires

Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
Spent the weekend driving a handful of family cars - was nice to be back in the C43 at the end of it, but driving other cars made me realize just how brutal the vibration is. I haven't driven another C43 coupe but the vibration you can feel in the car when driving between 100 kmph to 120 kmph is terrilbe. Car has been doing it since day one right off the flat bed that picked it up off the train. Have another vehicle with pretty much the same tires and there is no vibration, so I'm thinking that although the factory 19' tires are trash, it isn't that. Alignment done and it came back near perfect. Tire tread is wearing exactly as expected according MB as well. Anyone else experiencing this with a Coupe on 19' RFTs? Pretty close to writing off this platform as a whole and perhaps going back to something more refined.
have you had your tires balanced ?
Old 09-17-2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by J**2

have you had your tires balanced ?
Affirmative - the whole shabang! Not sure why the issue persists though.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Affirmative - the whole shabang! Not sure why the issue persists though.
Im assuming you have had someone from the service dept ride with you. What did they say about the vibration?
The following users liked this post:
GWSHARK (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 01:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 AMG C43 Coupe
I had something similar with my 2017 C43 Coupe. Turned out to be a bent rim which was repaired at about 8k miles. That fixed the highway-speed vibration issue for a while, but at 10k miles the RFTs were shot and the vibration returned. I ended up replacing the RFTs with good-quality go flats and the vibration was completely gone and has stayed gone.
The following 2 users liked this post by parkfam:
5ilver-5urfer (09-18-2018), Bigwaves (09-19-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 11:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
@5ilver 5urfer, I started a thread on a harmonic vibration , last year some time, which is exactly as you describe above. My car has been doing it since day one, been into dealer 4 times, had rep from MB Canada and some “AMG” guy from Germany out in the car with a NVH meter, head foreman for dealership noticed the vibration as well. They drove 2 other C43 as well as a C300 and all had the same vibration. At this point they’ve effectively told to f$#k off about this issue without actually saying as such. My friends C43 Coupe has same vibration. My runflats are shot after 20kms, which definitely increased the sensitivity to the vibration, so they will be replaced with conventional tires however I don’t suspect it will solve much as my winter rims and tires did not eliminate said vibration. It seems it’s inherent in the car, which is odd given how many W205 I see around Toronto, I would expect more people would notice it and complain about it. Sorry for the rambling, it’s just nice to know I’m not crazy.
The following users liked this post:
5ilver-5urfer (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by HTXgearhead

Im assuming you have had someone from the service dept ride with you. What did they say about the vibration?
Negative - didn't realize the issue was as bad as it was until I went on a long road trip in another car. Going for a ride with my local dealership's foreman this week. Interestingly enough, I recall the car is acting fairly similar on my winter RFTs so I ruled out balance issues....but yeah, it doesn't hurt to get the opinion of someone that probably has driven 100's of C-classes in their career.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by GWSHARK
@5ilver 5urfer, I started a thread on a harmonic vibration , last year some time, which is exactly as you describe above. My car has been doing it since day one, been into dealer 4 times, had rep from MB Canada and some “AMG” guy from Germany out in the car with a NVH meter, head foreman for dealership noticed the vibration as well. They drove 2 other C43 as well as a C300 and all had the same vibration. At this point they’ve effectively told to f$#k off about this issue without actually saying as such. My friends C43 Coupe has same vibration. My runflats are shot after 20kms, which definitely increased the sensitivity to the vibration, so they will be replaced with conventional tires however I don’t suspect it will solve much as my winter rims and tires did not eliminate said vibration. It seems it’s inherent in the car, which is odd given how many W205 I see around Toronto, I would expect more people would notice it and complain about it. Sorry for the rambling, it’s just nice to know I’m not crazy.
Yeah, I remember commenting on and following the Harmonic Vibration thread! Agree with you, there are thousands of W205's on the roads - I am really hard pressed to imagine that no one else is feeling this.

Oh well - will report back on my findings!
Old 09-18-2018, 11:43 AM

2018 C43 sedan
Negative - didn't realize the issue was as bad as it was until I went on a long road trip in another car. Going for a ride with my local dealership's foreman this week. Interestingly enough, I recall the car is acting fairly similar on my winter RFTs so I ruled out balance issues....but yeah, it doesn't hurt to get the opinion of someone that probably has driven 100's of C-classes in their career.
I figured you had exhausted all of your options after you said, “Pretty close to writing off this platform as a whole and perhaps going back to something more refined.”

If you aren’t happy with the car, trade it in. Get a Kia Stinger.

Last edited by HTXgearhead; 09-18-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by HTXgearhead

I figured you had exhausted all of your options after you said, “Pretty close to writing off this platform as a whole and perhaps going back to something more refined.”

If you aren’t happy with the car, trade it in. Get a Kia Stinger.
Not a good assumption. Car has been driven several times by Mercedes techs (barring me riding with the foreman until later this week) for different reasons and each time the explanation for substandard ride quality is different. Even two tire professional shops weren't able to explain why the ride quality is this bad. If Mercedes can't get their story straight then I'm not enough of a fanboy consumer to overlook their faults.

I will pass on the Stinger for now though since i'm not in the market - thanks for the suggestion. It seems like you're insinuating that it's a poor choice of a vehicle as opposed to an a viable competitor. Go out and see what the competition has to offer once the honeymoon phase with the C43 is over. You might be surprised at how well the competition does ride quality.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:14 PM

2018 C43 sedan
Not a good assumption. Car has been driven several times by Mercedes techs (barring me riding with the foreman until later this week) for different reasons and each time the explanation for substandard ride quality is different. Even two tire professional shops weren't able to explain why the ride quality is this bad. If Mercedes can't get their story straight then I'm not enough of a fanboy consumer to overlook their faults.

I will pass on the Stinger for now though since i'm not in the market - thanks for the suggestion. It seems like you're insinuating that it's a poor choice of a vehicle as opposed to an a viable competitor. Go out and see what the competition has to offer once the honeymoon phase with the C43 is over. You might be surprised at how well the competition does ride quality.
Just being sarcastic. I typically buy a different brand and a different color everytime I lease. I never had a honeymoon phase. My C43 was in the shop for my first 6 weeks of ownership.

If I was looking for ride quality, I wouldn’t have gone with the C43 to begin with.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
I have the same issue with my 18 C43 AMG coupe. Overall, very disappointed in the vibration of the car. MB did replace the two rear tires when I took the mechanic for a ride. That vibration came back after 5K miles. I managed to get a flat yesterday, so, now is a good time to replace the wheels. The other issue is the road noise from the run flats - hope the PS4s are better.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:43 AM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
If it helps, my '18 does the same... Just switched to Conti's and the vibrations got worse but I reckon it's because of mounting. I know the front left wheel is a bit bent, the reason I got new tires is because my front right RFT sidewall cracked so perhaps it is also slightly bent.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:51 AM

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
C43 AMG
mine went away when I changed to super sports
Old 09-19-2018, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
My dealer said the have good luck with Michelin Primacy. I might go that route the conti's are just loud.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:50 AM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Bigwaves
My dealer said the have good luck with Michelin Primacy. I might go that route the conti's are just loud.
Continental ExtremeContact Sports are not loud. They are, imo, the second to third best street performance tire behind the MPS4S and then MPSS.