C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C43 Coupe Tyre Crabbing - Any brand tyre better than others?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 Coupe
C43 Coupe Tyre Crabbing - Any brand tyre better than others?

I noticed the crabbing on my C43 Coupe from around 14,000 kms, I have pushed on to just over 20,000 kms. But now it is very annoying.
The Dealer is no help & neither is MB Aust.

Car has 19" Dunlops fitted from new. Does anybody know if another brand e.g. Michelin, Pirelli or Continental would be better in respect to a softer ride and better wear against crabbing?

Brand & series please, if you have experienced better results than Dunlops.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Have not seen it on a Michelin tire. The pirellis in general aren't a great tire and I would not recommend. The higher end conti's are good, but their runflats don't impress me and they have so many variations, I'd hesitate to recommend anything without having personally tried it, which I haven't. I'm a Bridgestone guy personally.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:41 AM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
Originally Posted by JackFD
I noticed the crabbing on my C43 Coupe from around 14,000 kms, I have pushed on to just over 20,000 kms. But now it is very annoying.
The Dealer is no help & neither is MB Aust.

Car has 19" Dunlops fitted from new. Does anybody know if another brand e.g. Michelin, Pirelli or Continental would be better in respect to a softer ride and better wear against crabbing?

Brand & series please, if you have experienced better results than Dunlops.

Thanks in advance.
What is crabbing?

Im in Australia too.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:41 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by AMG C43 3LV6
What is crabbing?

Im in Australia too.
Check out the X253 (GLC) forum, there's a very long thread about this there. The RHD C43s are also prone to this as is mine. It's a good sign that summer is over...
The following users liked this post:
AMG C43 3LV6 (10-10-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43 AMG (Tuned)
It's Spring in Australia now and things are warming up so the crabbing should become less of an issue. It doesn't bother me, I just try to avoid turning full lock where possible
Old 10-17-2018, 08:34 PM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
We are moving into the winter here in the UK and my car has started crabbing again.

Is annoying and a little jarring if you don't expect it, but not the end of the world.

This is with the stock sportmaxx rt tyres.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:40 PM

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
C43 AMG
I changed to michilin super sports and the crabbiing went away, has been good for 10,000 kms so far
Old 10-18-2018, 02:46 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
I've got the stock Dunlop SportMaxx RT on my front and Michelin SuperSport on the rear. Maybe time to change the fronts although they've only done 6800 miles.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:08 AM

2019 C43 Coupe & GLA200d
I own a C43 Coupe with Conti tyres. The vehicle has traveled only 6000km & as advised by MB at the vehicles first service both front tyres need replacing due to the excessive wear on the outer edge - by the way I have had a wheel alignment performed twice hoping to alleviate the wear & the crabbing issue. My dealer tows the company line & said this is normal , I have asked three times for a letter stating that this is normal & poses no danger during use - no response. I have tried to contact MB Australia - no response , they refer it back to the dealer . During wet weather the crabbing is dangerous as the front end skips across the road in the opposite direction whilst turning in roundabouts - this includes very low speeds. I commented on an MBAMG insta post nice vehicle shame about the crabbing issues & am now recieving no post about C63/43 .I will be taking this to fair trading as there is an expectation of a vehicle manufacture to supply a vehicle that is safe & does not require new tyres every 6000 km.
So much for MB current slogan "The best or nothing" - Hyundi & Kia provide better customer service than MB Australia.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:07 AM

C43 AMG Cabriolet Premium Plus
I recently purchased a 2019 C43 Cabriolet fitted with 19 inch wheels and with 6k on the clock from a MB dealership. They did make me aware of the crabbing issues with this car at the time of purchase. However I must admit that I didn't fully appreciate the problem and it really started to annoy me. On contacting the dealership with the problem they were very sympathetic and agreed to change the tyres. They informed me that the MB recommended replacement tyres for the Pzero run flats were Continental Conti Sport 5P. The Pzeros have now been changed for the Continentals and the crabbing has not improved at all, although the ride quality is better. I reported this issue to the dealership and they informed me that they could do no more as these were the recommended replacement tyres by MB to resolve the matter.
Does anyone else have these tyres on their C43 and are still having the crabbing issue.
Any advice as to what action I may be able to take with MB to resolve the issue would be most appreciated.
On further researching what tyres to fit it would appear that Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are recommended by a lot of end users as it virtually eliminates the crabbing issue. Everyone who recommended these tyres were from the UK so not sure what they would be like in colder areas of the world.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:08 AM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
I use Pilot Sport 4S tyres and the crabbing issue is basically gone even when it's 0c outside.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:09 PM

2019 C43 Coupe & GLA200d
Update on C43 Crabbing Issues

Originally Posted by ARTJEN
I own a C43 Coupe with Conti tyres. The vehicle has traveled only 6000km & as advised by MB at the vehicles first service both front tyres need replacing due to the excessive wear on the outer edge - by the way I have had a wheel alignment performed twice hoping to alleviate the wear & the crabbing issue. My dealer tows the company line & said this is normal , I have asked three times for a letter stating that this is normal & poses no danger during use - no response. I have tried to contact MB Australia - no response , they refer it back to the dealer . During wet weather the crabbing is dangerous as the front end skips across the road in the opposite direction whilst turning in roundabouts - this includes very low speeds. I commented on an MBAMG insta post nice vehicle shame about the crabbing issues & am now recieving no post about C63/43 .I will be taking this to fair trading as there is an expectation of a vehicle manufacture to supply a vehicle that is safe & does not require new tyres every 6000 km.
So much for MB current slogan "The best or nothing" - Hyundi & Kia provide better customer service than MB Australia.
After finally getting a response back from MB Australia , a complaint was formally lodged with Fair Trading NSW. They also found it difficult to get a response from MB & after numerous calls to them they responded that this was a characteristic of all 4 Matics cars ( including other brands) . This is now being escalated to a tribunal for mediation . The arrogance & customer service from MB Australia is well below par for a company such as MB.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:28 PM

TBC
Originally Posted by ARTJEN
After finally getting a response back from MB Australia , a complaint was formally lodged with Fair Trading NSW. They also found it difficult to get a response from MB & after numerous calls to them they responded that this was a characteristic of all 4 Matics cars ( including other brands) . This is now being escalated to a tribunal for mediation . The arrogance & customer service from MB Australia is well below par for a company such as MB.
Any update on this?
Old 02-13-2021, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,677 Likes on 2,457 Posts
2019 C63CS
You will not get this resolved. This is called the Ackerman Effect. It happens because the inside wheels travel at different speeds and distances. The Ackerman steering geometry resolves this issue on most cars, but performance cars tend to not have a perfect Ackerman geometry because it provides superior performance and handling. AWD vehicles are especially prone to the resulting skipping of the tires, because of the coupling between the rear and front axle, but you can even get this in RWD cars. Below is a link explaining it for the Corvette Stingray which is known for this effect. I occasionally even get it in my C63S if the pavement is wet and I got this in past Audis regularly. More so in the older models. The latest quattro system is less prone to it. Softer compound tires somewhat alleviate the issue, because the contact patch is more flexible at least at warmer temperatures. When the temperatures drop, the compound gets hard and then the tires start skipping. I think the C43 is especially prone to it, because of its fixed torque split.

http://www.mcgrathautoblog.com/autom...ette-stingray/

Last edited by superswiss; 02-13-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:12 PM

Received 359 Likes on 231 Posts
While superswiss is correct in the absolute sense, on my 2017 C43 sedan, between the summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and the winter Michelin X-ice Xi3 tires, I've experienced a crabbing noise/vibration only a few times in about 30K km. By comparison, the OEM high performance summer Continental tires were "constant crabbers."