Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD Tune Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2018 | 10:03 PM

2017 Mercedes AMG C43 Coupe
OBD Tune Thoughts?

Apparently all biturbo engines are now able to be tuned via OBD. Is this trustable? What if it turns out like RaceChip and people start blowing engines? And even if the tune is safe and trustable, can a dealer back track and find out you had a tune even after you remove it if you want to use your warranty for something? Just wanted to hear your guys's opinions on these new OBD tunes
Old 11-28-2018 | 08:10 AM

2019 AMG C63 Sedan (Gone and wont be missed)
ODB tuning isn't a new thing, been around for years on other platforms. Like most things go with a trusted vendor who has their product installed on other cars for a while. The dealers can pretty much always tell if you're tuned or have been tuned if they look hard enough. Lots of discussion on many platforms. If you're really concerned about warranty either don't tune or roll the dice with a piggy back like JB4.

My 2 cents anyway, I'm sure others will have a different opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by boosteddub69:
AMG C43 3LV6 (11-28-2018), Polar.C43 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018 | 08:24 AM

AMG C43 3LV6
Originally Posted by boosteddub69
ODB tuning isn't a new thing, been around for years on other platforms. Like most things go with a trusted vendor who has their product installed on other cars for a while. The dealers can pretty much always tell if you're tuned or have been tuned if they look hard enough. Lots of discussion on many platforms. If you're really concerned about warranty either don't tune or roll the dice with a piggy back like JB4.

My 2 cents anyway, I'm sure others will have a different opinion.
Is it rolling the dice with a JB4 if you only occasionally use the power that you have? Just curious. I guess anything can go wrong even the first time.
Old 11-28-2018 | 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by AMG C43 3LV6
Is it rolling the dice with a JB4 if you only occasionally use the power that you have? Just curious. I guess anything can go wrong even the first time.
I should clarify, when I said roll the dice I was referring to the 'detectability' of having the piggy back. Dealer might still be able to detect it even when removed. While it's your car and the risk is all yours, lots of people are using JB4s and don't seem to be blowing up engines. I personally wouldn't hesitate to use one.
Old 11-28-2018 | 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Man this has been answered a 1000 times on this forum. Just look around a bit. Completely pointless thread.

Also in my opinion you should not even touch any tunes. You have absolutely no idea how tunes work as far as I have seen. Stay away from it until you learn more.

Last edited by munis; 11-28-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-28-2018 | 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by munis
Man this has been answered a 1000 times on this forum. Just look around a bit. Completely pointless thread.

Also in my opinion you should not even touch any tunes. You have absolutely no idea how tunes work as far as I have seen. Stay away from it until you learn more.
I'm curious why you wouldn't touch a tune. I'm new to the MB World (no pun intended) but I've had a tune on my soon to be former Audi S4 for three years with no troubles and the Audi community in general has been running on ECU tunes for years.

Is MB that different?
Old 11-28-2018 | 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by boosteddub69
I'm curious why you wouldn't touch a tune. I'm new to the MB World (no pun intended) but I've had a tune on my soon to be former Audi S4 for three years with no troubles and the Audi community in general has been running on ECU tunes for years.

Is MB that different?
I did not mean it for everyone. I have seen and read the posts by this particular member and to me it seems like he does not know anything about how a tune works. From personal experience, it is a recipe for disaster if you do not know how it works. Several of the members in our JB4 group botched their installs because they have no clue on how it works. And tuning is not for anyone who is concerned about the warranty. There is not a single tune in this entire world that AMG would not be able to detect if they look hard enough and if you blow an engine and tranny, you bet they will. It is a safety hazard and they take it seriously. There is no hiding anything from the people that make the car. You might have one off dealerships that might be chilled with small problems but blow an engine or tranny and then try claiming warranty.

Tuning and warranty does not go hand in hand. This has been answered multiple times. The car is plenty fast stock, enjoy it for what it is. I would never tune the car if I could do it all over again. Because my car is already flagged, I do not care anymore. But I am definitely not doing it for my next car.
The following users liked this post:
Mdotlife (01-05-2023)
Old 11-28-2018 | 09:33 AM

I did not mean it for everyone. I have seen and read the posts by this particular member and to me it seems like he does not know anything about how a tune works. From personal experience, it is a recipe for disaster if you do not know how it works. Several of the members in our JB4 group botched their installs because they have no clue on how it works. And tuning is not for anyone who is concerned about the warranty. There is not a single tune in this entire world that AMG would not be able to detect if they look hard enough and if you blow an engine and tranny, you bet they will. It is a safety hazard and they take it seriously. There is no hiding anything from the people that make the car. You might have one off dealerships that might be chilled with small problems but blow an engine or tranny and then try claiming warranty.

Tuning and warranty does not go hand in hand. This has been answered multiple times. The car is plenty fast stock, enjoy it for what it is. I would never tune the car if I could do it all over again. Because my car is already flagged, I do not care anymore. But I am definitely not doing it for my next car.
That makes sense. Thanks for the clarificartion. I echo your thoughts on warranty and tuning, if you want to tune you can't worry about warranty.
Old 11-28-2018 | 06:08 PM

AMG C43 3LV6

The point you make is valid and true.

However, you come across as rather obtuse and obnoxious in the way you deliver your message.

I have thankfully from the members on this forum have been helped to understand and appreciate how a tune works. My understanding is very very limited, but over the course of time I will like to learn more so I can get to the stage where I can "reward" myself by getting my car tuned.

I would like to stress to other posters out there that may be deterred from posting that have limited to no knowledge out there. Ask questions and seek help. I have had several posters privately message me and guide and develop my understanding of tuning a lot better. There are some awesome posters out there that are only too keen to help and guide you.

If they allow me too, I will name them publicly on here and praise them as of the ones that were kind enough to assist me.

Every single poster on here started off with zero knowledge of tuning, thats a fact. Over time they have developed that understanding to a standard that they can comprehend what tuning is all about. I strive to one day get my head around it.
The following 3 users liked this post by AMG C43 3LV6:
Csandoval1988 (11-29-2018), Polar.C43 (11-28-2018), TuroAMG (04-09-2022)
Old 11-28-2018 | 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The point you make is valid and true.

However, you come across as rather obtuse and obnoxious in the way you deliver your message.

I have thankfully from the members on this forum have been helped to understand and appreciate how a tune works. My understanding is very very limited, but over the course of time I will like to learn more so I can get to the stage where I can "reward" myself by getting my car tuned.

I would like to stress to other posters out there that may be deterred from posting that have limited to no knowledge out there. Ask questions and seek help. I have had several posters privately message me and guide and develop my understanding of tuning a lot better. There are some awesome posters out there that are only too keen to help and guide you.

If they allow me too, I will name them publicly on here and praise them as of the ones that were kind enough to assist me.

Every single poster on here started off with zero knowledge of tuning, thats a fact. Over time they have developed that understanding to a standard that they can comprehend what tuning is all about. I strive to one day get my head around it.
I have no issues with members asking useful questions. And I always try my best to provide insightful answers to the best of my knowledge. But this question has popped up several times and has been answered several times. So to ask it again and again, shows extreme laziness, when all you had to is search the forum. The answer is there already. What bothers me is there are some members here who is expecting someone to spoon feed it to them. If that is way you do things, then my advice was not rude at all. You should indeed stay away from a tune, if you want to open a thread for reinventing the wheel for the 1000th time. A google search of "c43 tunes mbworld" will bring up all the thread you will ever need to read. You chose not to do that because it is just easier to ask the same stupid question for the 1000th time by opening a new post about it instead of just reading the forum for 30 minutes and actually try to learn stuff.

Read this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...-tool-but.html
Old 11-28-2018 | 08:08 PM

AMG C43 3LV6
I have no issues with members asking useful questions. And I always try my best to provide insightful answers to the best of my knowledge. But this question has popped up several times and has been answered several times. So to ask it again and again, shows extreme laziness, when all you had to is search the forum. The answer is there already. What bothers me is there are some members here who is expecting someone to spoon feed it to them. If that is way you do things, then my advice was not rude at all. You should indeed stay away from a tune, if you want to open a thread for reinventing the wheel for the 1000th time. A google search of "c43 tunes mbworld" will bring up all the thread you will ever need to read. You chose not to do that because it is just easier to ask the same stupid question for the 1000th time by opening a new post about it instead of just reading the forum for 30 minutes and actually try to learn stuff.

Read this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...-tool-but.html
I didnt start the thread and I am not the opening post as a heads up. So no I didnt ask the "same stupid question". Tactful. I also wasnt asking you for a response so there as no reason to respond it was to another poster and quite frankly if I am asking another poster I will ask any question I damn well feel like asking. The time and effort you utilized to chastise could have been better invested.

In terms of search functionality the forum and the titles used are not the best at times, however yes this particular topic has been explored ad infinitum and is very easy to search.

As for new members that are reading this, I implore you to ask away as many or same questions as you want. The C43 C205 W205 will be updated sooner rather than later and this section of the forum will remain very very quiet. Till then I look forward meeting new members who are enjoying the new purchase.

I have helped a very very small number of posters with trivial issues about their MB and I have also learned from them as well.

I hope one day that I am able to have even a quarter the knowledge that you have about tuning. However, when I do, I will be more than keen to help anyone, anytime.
Polar.C43 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018 | 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I didnt start the thread and I am not the opening post as a heads up. So no I didnt ask the "same stupid question". Tactful. I also wasnt asking you for a response so there as no reason to respond it was to another poster and quite frankly if I am asking another poster I will ask any question I damn well feel like asking. The time and effort you utilized to chastise could have been better invested.

In terms of search functionality the forum and the titles used are not the best at times, however yes this particular topic has been explored ad infinitum and is very easy to search.

As for new members that are reading this, I implore you to ask away as many or same questions as you want. The C43 C205 W205 will be updated sooner rather than later and this section of the forum will remain very very quiet. Till then I look forward meeting new members who are enjoying the new purchase.

I have helped a very very small number of posters with trivial issues about their MB and I have also learned from them as well.

I hope one day that I am able to have even a quarter the knowledge that you have about tuning. However, when I do, I will be more than keen to help anyone, anytime.
You are still missing the point. Laziness does not make for good learning experiences. I know you did not ask me. But someone answering you will be wasting their time explaining the same thing that has already been reiterated several times. Hence not a single member with tuning experience answered it. Nothing wrong with learning if you want to make a proper effort to learn it. Anyhoo, I do not want to hijack the thread so carry on.
Old 11-28-2018 | 08:20 PM

You are still missing the point. Laziness does not make for good learning experiences. I know you did not ask me. But someone answering you will be wasting their time explaining the same thing that has already been reiterated several times. Hence not a single member with tuning experience answered it. Nothing wrong with learning if you want to make a proper effort to learn it. Anyhoo, I do not want to hijack the thread so carry on.
Experience with Mercedes tuning.
munis (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018 | 09:55 PM

2017 Mercedes AMG C43 Coupe
Wow, didn't know how easily i could get somebody so angry anyways, I certainly do know how tunes work. I'm really not here to argue over the internet but I'm pretty sure I know exactly how tunes work since I work on cars literally everyday. I could care less if somebody over the internet believes me or not but just leave it as this: lets just say I had absolutely no idea what I was saying. Lets say I was too stupid to google the subject. Why respond with the answer you gave? You're getting nowhere other than spreading negativity and making yourself look quite silly. Now I'd suggest you find a way to blow some steam off somewhere else other than forums where people are open to ask any question they want. Have a great day
The following 2 users liked this post by Polar.C43:
AMG C43 3LV6 (11-28-2018), Csandoval1988 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018 | 10:20 PM

AMG C43 3LV6
Originally Posted by Polar.C43
Wow, didn't know how easily i could get somebody so angry anyways, I certainly do know how tunes work. I'm really not here to argue over the internet but I'm pretty sure I know exactly how tunes work since I work on cars literally everyday. I could care less if somebody over the internet believes me or not but just leave it as this: lets just say I had absolutely no idea what I was saying. Lets say I was too stupid to google the subject. Why respond with the answer you gave? You're getting nowhere other than spreading negativity and making yourself look quite silly. Now I'd suggest you find a way to blow some steam off somewhere else other than forums where people are open to ask any question they want. Have a great day
Please dont let that poster deter you from posting. Its a shame some behave like that. I am so thrilled and excited to have my car and the happiness it brings to me. I have made some good contacts on here and some not so. I have learnt so much in such a short amount of time. I had no interest really in cars till I bought the C43 and now, I am trying to learn a lot and the experience and journey has been pleasurable. I have a long way to go for sure. But who cares? It is interesting and I enjoy learning. I am appreciative to all those that have PM to help me or ask me questions.

Ask any question and place any time. Who cares? That poster is just too precious.
Old 11-28-2018 | 11:23 PM

'19 C43
Originally Posted by Polar.C43
Apparently all biturbo engines are now able to be tuned via OBD. Is this trustable? What if it turns out like RaceChip and people start blowing engines? And even if the tune is safe and trustable, can a dealer back track and find out you had a tune even after you remove it if you want to use your warranty for something? Just wanted to hear your guys's opinions on these new OBD tunes
Autotuner is the name of the company that made the equipment and actually cracked the TPROT for the Bosch 17.7 ECU that is in the C43, C63, GLC63, and others. Autotuner is relatively new (compared to the other equipment out there like kess, ktag, cmd), but still have more than 5 years in the market, which is plenty.
So, the OBD tunes should be fine, and no less safe than a bench flash.

As far as I can tell, the 17.7 in Mercedes iterations doesn't have a flash counter for OBD. Why? Probably because MB didn't think anyone would crack the encryption. So, seeing that there is a flash tune installed won't show up on standard dealer diagnostics. However, should they choose or need to dig, a flash will easily be discovered. I think you and I talked via PM about some of the various tuners out there, so I won't go into the credibility or quality of the various tuners offering OBD tuning, in this thread. However, for anyone reading, I can certainly say that some are less credible and less honest than others. Tuners that hide information or outright lie about what they "know" about a car should be avoided.
The following 2 users liked this post by GuardianVA:
Chrisk03 (11-29-2018), munis (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018 | 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GuardianVA
Autotuner is the name of the company that made the equipment and actually cracked the TPROT for the Bosch 17.7 ECU that is in the C43, C63, GLC63, and others. Autotuner is relatively new (compared to the other equipment out there like kess, ktag, cmd), but still have more than 5 years in the market, which is plenty.

As far as I can tell, the 17.7 in Mercedes iterations doesn't have a flash counter for OBD. Why? Probably because MB didn't think anyone would crack the encryption. So, seeing that there is a flash tune installed won't show up on standard dealer diagnostics. However, should they choose or need to dig, a flash will easily be discovered. I think you and I talked via PM about some of the various tuners out there, so I won't go into the credibility or quality of the various tuners offering OBD tuning, in this thread. However, for anyone reading, I can certainly say that some are less credible and less honest than others. Tuners that hide information or outright lie about what they "know" about a car should be avoided.
Haha you always have the best inside news man! The new Bosch ECU indeed does not have a flash counter. Connecting to STAR would not flag your car automatically like Audi does by doing a checksum check in the dealerships. But a flash would always leave electronic shadows which are pretty easy to find out by local AMG engineers (dunno about US but Canada has some). Also the auxiliary battery does not die and I was told by a tech that the car stores peak boost reading from the sensor directly, so even if you flash back, the peak boost value can easily be read. You can blame a bad sensor for that but the engineers would straight away know which direction to look in.

In short, nothing can save you if Mercedes is interested enough.
The following 3 users liked this post by munis:
boosteddub69 (11-29-2018), Chrisk03 (11-29-2018), TuroAMG (04-09-2022)
Old 11-29-2018 | 09:31 AM

Haha you always have the best inside news man! The new Bosch ECU indeed does not have a flash counter. Connecting to STAR would not flag your car automatically like Audi does by doing a checksum check in the dealerships. But a flash would always leave electronic shadows which are pretty easy to find out by local AMG engineers (dunno about US but Canada has some). Also the auxiliary battery does not die and I was told by a tech that the car stores peak boost reading from the sensor directly, so even if you flash back, the peak boost value can easily be read. You can blame a bad sensor for that but the engineers would straight away know which direction to look in.

In short, nothing can save you if Mercedes is interested enough.
This can't be emphasized enough. If you're scared about your warranty don't flash the ECU. If you have a major failure and take it in expecting warranty work, screwed you will be. I know it's been said many times but I don't think it can be put more simply.
AMG C43 3LV6 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018 | 10:29 PM

GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
In general you should not ask vague questions. Ask more specific questions. If you want people to take your questions seriously show them that you already did some initial research and that your questions are based on research.

Do not expect other people to do your research for you. You can ask any question you want, but do not be surprised if members respond sarcastically or in a hostile manner.
The following 3 users liked this post by waisoserious:
Lazz83 (11-30-2018), Mdotlife (01-05-2023), munis (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018 | 01:54 AM

AMG C43 3LV6
Anyways I encourage any posters to ask any questions in relation to our cars. The more camaraderie and knowledge sharing the better. If some posters chose to spend their time to post an asinine response so be it.

I mean how bitter must a person be to come to a forum and cast dispersion's on another persons questions. Im glad the OP asked the questions. It triggered some interesting responses.
Old 11-30-2018 | 09:49 AM

2019 C43 AMG, 2016 BMW M235xi (gone)
I can't read this thread title and not read it as "ODB"

Mr. J (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018 | 12:27 PM

GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by GuardianVA

I'm just glad someone figured this out. I had asked this question about a year ago and got a response of "you'll have a different car by the time OBD ECU install happens", to paraphrase. And that was from a tuner on the forums that will go nameless, as much as I'd love to bust their chops. I guess it can be a crap shoot on if the ECU can be cracked anyway. Still leaning JB4 or Renntech, but kudos to Autotuner.
AMG C43 3LV6 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018 | 01:03 PM

2017 AMG C43, AWE Touring, BMC Air Filters- 2015 BMW X3 3.5i (JB1 Equipped)
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
I'm just glad someone figured this out. I had asked this question about a year ago and got a response of "you'll have a different car by the time OBD ECU install happens", to paraphrase. And that was from a tuner on the forums that will go nameless, as much as I'd love to bust their chops. I guess it can be a crap shoot on if the ECU can be cracked anyway. Still leaning JB4 or Renntech, but kudos to Autotuner.
Out of curiosity why would you even consider a Renntech tune? It cost over $2k and makes like 40hp over stock measured (375 Bhp) how is 40 crank HP worth $2k+ especially when you factor in the 20 - 25% parasitic power train loss- your getting like 20 extra rwhp for $2200

Renntech is a great company for AMG in general and makes huge numbers on higher end AMG's but it is a joke for the C43 platform, you should consider something else for sure.

Last edited by Lazz83; 11-30-2018 at 01:10 PM.
AMG C43 3LV6 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018 | 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Lazz83
Out of curiosity why would you even consider a Renntech tune? It cost over $2k and makes like 30hp over stock measured (375 Bhp) how is 30 crank HP worth $2k+ especially when you factor in the 20 - 25% parasitic power train loss- your getting like 20 extra rwhp for $2200

Renntech is a great company for AMG in general and makes huge numbers on higher end AMG's but it is a joke for the C43 platform, you should consider something else for sure.
I am sure they have a great tune. They say 30 hp gain but I am sure the numbers would surprise you. They probably underrate it .
Old 12-01-2018 | 02:02 PM

C43 2017
Criticism by Munis and his TDOT minions on the poor auzzie undeserved, guys its a forum...search.. no search whatever. The same applies if you want to contribute to thread if not move on.
AMG C43 3LV6 (12-01-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OBD Tune Thoughts?