Sponsored by:

'19 C43 sedan vs. '19 S5 Sportback ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 12:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 MB C43 coupe, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
'19 C43 sedan vs. '19 S5 Sportback ??

currently driving a '17 C43 coupe that I really enjoy, except I am reminded that I miss two back doors from time to time. My lease is up in about a year, so I'm eyeing sedan choices now.

I feel like the facelift '19 C43 sedan is looking sick both in photos and in person. Looks mean in fact, which matches the PE sound finally and the car seems a complete package.

The only other sedan in the $55k - $70k ballpark that calls my name is the S5 Sportback. I have not driven one yet. In the right configuration along with virtual cockpit and stitched seats, I feel like the interior is equal to the AMG. I need to drive one I know. I had a Gran Coupe BMW with the hatch and I loved that feature.

Anyone with experience between the two want to comment?

Also, I have to say.... if I was spending $80 - $95k I'd be getting into the RS5 Sportback. The optics package RS5 with carbon fiber hits is amazing. If and when these go CPO in the future, I'm waiting.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
Audi build quality is superior. C43 driving engagement/visceral feedback is better. One is basically the grown up mature version of the other.

Brakes are marginally better on the Audi. Performance metrics are generally negligible. If you're a giant you'll fit better in the MB. Audi seems to be more difficult to get a good lease. Infotainment in the Audi is one of the best systems in any car and rivals MB.

It's good to have two great options. I don't think you can go wrong with either decision. I generally would end up in whatever car I could get a better deal on.
The following 2 users liked this post by alexasa:
PFEAMG (09-18-2019), xCharmCity (09-18-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan and 2020 Volvo V60 CC
I'd be very tempted to go the S5 Sportback route if the lease was competitive, but it's not so I'm "stuck" with the C43.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by ryanSTL
currently driving a '17 C43 coupe that I really enjoy, except I am reminded that I miss two back doors from time to time. My lease is up in about a year, so I'm eyeing sedan choices now.

I feel like the facelift '19 C43 sedan is looking sick both in photos and in person. Looks mean in fact, which matches the PE sound finally and the car seems a complete package.

The only other sedan in the $55k - $70k ballpark that calls my name is the S5 Sportback. I have not driven one yet. In the right configuration along with virtual cockpit and stitched seats, I feel like the interior is equal to the AMG. I need to drive one I know. I had a Gran Coupe BMW with the hatch and I loved that feature.

Also, I have to say.... if I was spending $80 - $95k I'd be getting into the RS5 Sportback. The optics package RS5 with carbon fiber hits is amazing. If and when these go CPO in the future, I'm waiting.
I have some experience with your particular situation. My previous ride was the 2016 C450, the precursor to you '17 C43, and with my lease up I have moved on to the 2019 RS5 Sportback. I researched, drove and compared extensively the new 2019 C43 the S5 and RS5 sportback before making my decision. I agree with the above, both have class leading interiors, with the Audi having somewhat better fit and finish, and the Mercedes being somewhat glitzier (I had the designo saddle brown performance seats). The benz interior has more flash, the audi is a bit more understated IMO. I do prefer the Audi virtual cockpit, and i believe the Audi nappa leather seats to be more comfortable (also massaging if that's your jam). Exterior-wise both are pretty sharp, yet I do prefer the Benz wheel options to the audi, whereas the rear/taillight redesign of of the C43 places it firmly behind the look of the S5/RS5, but thats all in the eye of the beholder. The run flats of my old C450 were my most disliked feature. The RS5 rides much more comfortably, I feel, on season-appropriate performance tires, on 20" inch wheels no less ( I'm sure the S5 even more so). I don't crash over road imperfections and there's generally a more "supple" suspension feel soaking up harsh roads, compared to my old car. The RS5 , especially in dynamic mode, is the best of both worlds , IMO, visceral when i want, GT cruiser when i need it to be. One caveat as well, is in my test drives, the S5 wasnt anywhere near as quick as the C43 off the line and not as agile unless you were in dynamic mode all the time.Also, the C43 performance exhaust sounds better than even the RS5 soundtrack, so if thats a deal-breaker for you, go C43. If the RS5 is out of reach (80K reasonably equipped), and you want a more visceral ride all the time, as stated above, go C43 over S5, if you want more middle ground, go S5. Plus with a couple extra K, you can always mod the S5 exhaust. Bottom line, although I believe the RS5 to be the best of both worlds, i wouldve been happy in any of the above cars above....it's a no-lose proposition.
The following users liked this post:
Germancar1 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by alexasa
Audi build quality is superior. C43 driving engagement/visceral feedback is better. One is basically the grown up mature version of the other.

Brakes are marginally better on the Audi. Performance metrics are generally negligible. If you're a giant you'll fit better in the MB. Audi seems to be more difficult to get a good lease. Infotainment in the Audi is one of the best systems in any car and rivals MB.

It's good to have two great options. I don't think you can go wrong with either decision. I generally would end up in whatever car I could get a better deal on.
I agree. I would also expect the C43 to be the better drivers car. Audi typically has a 40/60 torque split compared to the C43 31/69 split, that and the numb Audi steering will probably make the C43 a more enjoyable car to drive.

Drive both, see which one you enjoy more. Hopefully the S5 has an exhaust option comparable to the PE on the C43.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:43 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
TBD
Drove both, ended up with the C43. Found the S5 to be nice but rather clinical compared to the C43, which just roars with personality. Plus I found it to be quicker than the Audi.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:46 AM

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
C43
It is always a tough one as on paper there is not much between them.

I had an S5 3.0 supercharged cab before the C43 and was an Audi convert...didn’t think I would own an MB.

My old S5 was quick...very quick(mapped to 415) and the supercharger whine was immense but when looking at the new C43 vs the new S5 the C43 in my view took the top stand.

The current S5 seems too diluted, handling was poor, the Quattro too ‘safe’ and the noise was disappointing.

The C43 by comparison felt like the better drivers car, with a great noise to boot. I also like the little touches like the ambient lighting, styling and option to spec the AMG perf seats

The Audi interior is top notch, they have nailed it, however it felt like any other A5 or A3 or any of the others. In conclusion the S5 didn’t feel special enough nor excite enough to make me want to stay with the brand.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:12 PM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Personally I hate the sportback look. I like the way the S4/Avant and S5 Coupe look though. Looks amazing. And the interior looks great too.

The sports exhaust option sounds super muted. But you can easily change the exhaust if you want.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan '19, Saab 9-3ss '03 Stage7, Saab 900 cabrio '92
In terms of fit & finish, Audi right now it's the segment leader or at least one of the biggest references.

My first option was the RS3 sedan, when I begun to look for a car in August... and after some wait I just give-up and ordered the C43 in November. On the first visit to the Audi dealer, they just received that week that the production of the RS3 and other models, mainly S ones and RS models were on halt due the WLTP legislation. It seem now they begin to produce again, but they already advise me that the new S4 and S5 no longer will be a V6 petrol, it will be a V6 diesel, that's another reason why I didn't considered the S4. In some Audit forums now they begin to appear those rumors...I don't think this will affect the US. But Audi/VAG managed incredibly badly the WLTP.

When i tested the S4 I liked the interior feeling. Same impressions as commented above, in terms of driving experience. I never imagined the merc will have a "sportier" diriving feel.

regards

Regards
Old 01-28-2019, 06:36 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
TBD

I thought the Audi interior was bland and inferior. Funny how everyone has their own opinion.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:27 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
Had both on my "final" list, drove both C43 and S5 for a couple of days each. Coming from a MB GLA45AMG. One replly said RS5, but that should be compared to the C63. In the end a couple of things made me go with the C43: discount and lease was substantially better, exhaust was way better, I thought the car handled better and lastly if you read some of the Audi forums there are tons of 'tech' issues. And I have to say previously I've had 6 different Audi's that I thought were great. The C43 Cardinal Red Designo with black out and wheels and tinted windows just looked way meaner than the S5. But to each their own.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 C43 AMG, 2016 BMW M235xi (gone)
Let's start out by saying that my favorite car I have ever owned is a 2001 S4 Avant. I loved that car. For 18 years ago, it was fast, had a top notch interior and a mean look that other Audis did not. I miss that car. All other things aside, my biggest complaint about the more recent S cars is that it is increasingly more difficult to tell them apart from regular A cars. I often have to look at the rear view mirrors or actually look at the badges to figure out if it's an S4 or an A4. The more aggressive look of the C43 made it the winner for me.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by merlin3008
Let's start out by saying that my favorite car I have ever owned is a 2001 S4 Avant. I loved that car. For 18 years ago, it was fast, had a top notch interior and a mean look that other Audis did not. I miss that car. All other things aside, my biggest complaint about the more recent S cars is that it is increasingly more difficult to tell them apart from regular A cars. I often have to look at the rear view mirrors or actually look at the badges to figure out if it's an S4 or an A4. The more aggressive look of the C43 made it the winner for me.
C43 and c300 sport share just as many panels as the Audi A4 and S4.

Argument invalid.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan and 2020 Volvo V60 CC
C43 and c300 sport share just as many panels as the Audi A4 and S4.

Argument invalid.
Agreed. It's damn difficult to tell the difference between a C300 with AMG Spot pkg and C43. The only way I can set them apart is the exhaust. Heck, even the C63 is hard to distinguish unless you notice the hood bulges.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19 C43 AMG, 15 Highlander XLE
I feel like I got a good deal but some of you guys got some great ones. My 19 stickered for $69 and change. I put 8k down on a 4y lease and am at 600 a month. Got 4 years of maintenance as well. 10k miles/yr. Bought it in May and still have 1300 miles on it so the mileage wasn't an issue. It's pretty decked out but I wonder if I should have just bought a C63 at that point. Either way I love the car and low payment!
Old 09-18-2019, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by GIJoeMyGoodness
I feel like I got a good deal but some of you guys got some great ones. My 19 stickered for $69 and change. I put 8k down on a 4y lease and am at 600 a month. Got 4 years of maintenance as well. 10k miles/yr. Bought it in May and still have 1300 miles on it so the mileage wasn't an issue. It's pretty decked out but I wonder if I should have just bought a C63 at that point. Either way I love the car and low payment!
never put that type of money down on a lease. never.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:36 AM

never put that type of money down on a lease. never.
I know you shouldn't because if it gets totalled the money is gone. I got that money from a buy back on my Alfa Romeo (shocker) so I just pretended it didn't exist. With how little I drive the car and where, I'm not as worried about a total loss. It kept the payments low and I didn't pull extra money out of my bank account that the buy back didn't cover.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:37 AM

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by ryanSTL

why not M340i? faster and cheaper than C43, available with all wheel drive.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:26 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I like my c43 2019 much better then my 2019 s5. I had mine lemoned. Constant issues. The c43 drives better, is faster and looks better as well. The s5 is to big. Handling is very sloppy. Exhaust is garbage. All fake sound.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:11 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Just drove and S5 and a 2019 C43 back to back on the same roads, and it was crashing around like my 17 C43. The new C43 has a better ride on rough roads. But I liked everything else about it, but there is something about Audis that just don't click with me. I think the fit and finish is better. I would just test drive them on the same roads to get a true indication of their performance/ride/handling . There are no losers in this segment of car
Old 09-18-2019, 04:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by AMGiggity
why not M340i? faster and cheaper than C43, available with all wheel drive.
The only problem is having a car whose front grill looks like a toy car's
Old 09-18-2019, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by JonWu
I also didn't like my local BMW dealer nor did I like the lack of Android Auto. Everything at MB felt right including the dealer, features, experience etc. The performance exhaust makes a huge difference as well
Old 09-18-2019, 04:26 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
When I got my 2019 C43 I drove both the C43 and S5 sportback and the decision was a tough one, came down to the real price, and not trying to sound like it was all about price but comparably equipped cars ended up with a huge spread in price, the Audi was just a bunch more and not any more of a car, Other issue was the Audi dealer is quite a distance away and even though he offered to pick up and deliver the car for service the MB dealer is just a few minutes away. Have not had any service issues but it's easy and quick to get my free car washes or air up my tires. Lastly, the interior of the Audi is definitely a touch better finished than the MB but if you go on to the forums there are tons of service issues that don't seem to ever be resolved. I've owned AA4, S4, S6, 2 Allroads and loved them but this time around it was the C43 and I have no regrets. I want a trouble free fun car.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by JonWu
I am not a fan of the new grille either; blacking it out helps a lot though.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGiggity
I am not a fan of the new grille either; blacking it out helps a lot though.

Oof... That is one ugly front end... Just a bunch of disjointed shapes slapped together... BMW has lost its way....

Last edited by sonorous; 09-19-2019 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '19 C43 sedan vs. '19 S5 Sportback ??