Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Transmission takes a long time to warm up

Hey guys,

I've had this car since August now. Don't know if I like it anymore. I'm going to be writing a pretty compelling (sad?) post/thread (with plenty of photos) detailing how many things have gone wrong with my car since August. The most disappointing part is how indifferent MBUSA has been - stringing me along.

Anyway, back on topic.

I've noticed the transmission temperature, displayed along with oil temperature, takes a long time to go from "blue" (cold) to "white" (ready to roll). This occurs at about 120 degrees.

The oil temperature only takes a few minutes to reach normal operating temps. The transmission, however, takes at least 20-25 minutes to hit that 120 mark. I've never experienced anything like it. I can almost never drive the car in a spirited fashion unless I'm going to be having 40 minutes to an hour worth of driving.

Is this normal?

Also, the car feels slow. Like 5.1 seconds to 60 slow. Zero error messages. Zero codes. No leaks anywhere.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:44 PM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C43
Maybe because it -20C or 0F outside
Old 01-28-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
I run into the same problem. When your trans gets to 100F, switch it to sport mode, and continue driving regularly. The added shifts will warm it up faster. Takes me about 7-8 miles to get the trans up to temperature.
The following users liked this post:
AMG C43 3LV6 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
First off, let's make sure you're in the correct forum...your avatar details say '13 C63. This is the C43 forum.

Assuming you're still here...
After nearly 30k miles of driving, this is typical of the car...especially in the middle of winter! I'm in Nebraska. My car is garaged and typically shows 40-50F when I start it up in the morning, and I barely break 85-90F on my 15min commute. If we drive my wife's car all weekend, Monday mornings will show 30-35F.

Where are you located? Cold temps should help performance, but only to a point. Too cold and you'll start to creep the wrong direction on performance, especially when you're not fully warmed up. "Too cold" of temps has been proven by data logging with JB4. The turbos don't like sub-freezing temps. The air density altitude plays a major part as well. Record times might not be achievable where you're located.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:32 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by HTXgearhead
I run into the same problem. When your trans gets to 100F, switch it to sport mode, and continue driving regularly. The added shifts will warm it up faster. Takes me about 7-8 miles to get the trans up to temperature.
Yup, now that it is winter and the tranny fluid takes forever to warm up, I do the same thing and turn it to sport at about 40*C.

If you take the car straight to the highway, it can take a whole hour of driving to hit white lmao...
Old 01-28-2019, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Just want to share my experience.
In winter I switch to Individual (Engine in S, Suspension in S+, Steering in S+) when Oil riches 100F and I've doing this for 2 winters now. In the summer I switch to Individual right away. 0 issues..
Old 01-29-2019, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by stockbmw
Maybe because it -20C or 0F outside
Happens when it's 50 F, too. Next?

Originally Posted by HTXgearhead
Thank you for that tip. I'll try that. That 7-8 mile range sounds about right. I'm at about 9-10 right now, and my commute is a few miles shorter.

Follow-up - I'm assuming you still take it easy with the revs despite the fact you're in Sport?

Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
First off, let's make sure you're in the correct forum...your avatar details say '13 C63. This is the C43 forum.

Assuming you're still here...
After nearly 30k miles of driving, this is typical of the car...especially in the middle of winter! I'm in Nebraska. My car is garaged and typically shows 40-50F when I start it up in the morning, and I barely break 85-90F on my 15min commute. If we drive my wife's car all weekend, Monday mornings will show 30-35F.

Where are you located? Cold temps should help performance, but only to a point. Too cold and you'll start to creep the wrong direction on performance, especially when you're not fully warmed up. "Too cold" of temps has been proven by data logging with JB4. The turbos don't like sub-freezing temps. The air density altitude plays a major part as well. Record times might not be achievable where you're located.
Completely fair observation/question. I need to update my avatar and info. as I used to have a '13 W204 C63. Had it for about 5 years. Thing was bulletproof. I have had my '18 C43 since August.

Thank you for sharing your observations. Sounds like my experience with the transmission temperature is not unusual.

To answer your final question(s), I'm bone stock and running at sea level here in central Indiana. It just seems like the car is bogging down and the turbos are running out of breath early in the rev range (and this is in moderate temperatures between 35 and 50 F).

To be honest, I'm thinking the stock Conti RFTs could be a contributing factor.

Originally Posted by jonathan358
Yup, now that it is winter and the tranny fluid takes forever to warm up, I do the same thing and turn it to sport at about 40*C.

If you take the car straight to the highway, it can take a whole hour of driving to hit white lmao...
Many thanks for chiming in. I feel quite a bit better about the transmission temperature situation now. Seems like a complete non-issue in the sense that things are operating normally.

Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
Just want to share my experience.
In winter I switch to Individual (Engine in S, Suspension in S+, Steering in S+) when Oil riches 100F and I've doing this for 2 winters now. In the summer I switch to Individual right away. 0 issues..
I'm definitely trying the powertrain in Sport setting after the oil temperature starts to warm up. I'm confident in that approach now that 3 of you guys with good mileage have utilized that method successfully.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:05 AM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by zibby43
Hey guys,

I've had this car since August now. Don't know if I like it anymore. I'm going to be writing a pretty compelling (sad?) post/thread (with plenty of photos) detailing how many things have gone wrong with my car since August. The most disappointing part is how indifferent MBUSA has been - stringing me along.

Anyway, back on topic.

I've noticed the transmission temperature, displayed along with oil temperature, takes a long time to go from "blue" (cold) to "white" (ready to roll). This occurs at about 120 degrees.

The oil temperature only takes a few minutes to reach normal operating temps. The transmission, however, takes at least 20-25 minutes to hit that 120 mark. I've never experienced anything like it. I can almost never drive the car in a spirited fashion unless I'm going to be having 40 minutes to an hour worth of driving.

Is this normal?

Also, the car feels slow. Like 5.1 seconds to 60 slow. Zero error messages. Zero codes. No leaks anywhere.

5.1 is definitely slow. You are not imagining things. Many many many members have achieved around 4.2 +/- .1 sec stock to 60. Mine stock was like 4.7secs and i am in a GLC.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
One thing to check...turn on the HP/TQ gauges on the COMAND screen and do some pulls once you're fully warmed up. Where does the HP max out? Also, turn on the AMG page on the central cluster screen...is the boost gauge staying close to pegged? There's a "soft code" error that can happen in the background that doesn't throw a CEL, but does limit boost because of one reason or another. If either HP or boost levels aren't showing what they should, it will be worth the trip to the dealer to have them sort it out.
zibby43 (02-03-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 11:02 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
I've only clocked 100 miles on my 19 C43 but the transmission does take longer to warm up after the oil is at temperature so that sounds normal. Being in comfort mode on mine and 30 degree F temps makes sense, but there's no slowness, it's a little rocket even in comfort
Old 01-29-2019, 01:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C43 coupe
My transmission is likewise slower warming up; definitely attributable to cold starts. Oil temp comes up normally. I have been thinking about warming it up on these really cold days, but have always heard that it is not good to do. Any thoughts or experience?
Old 01-29-2019, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by waisoserious
5.1 is definitely slow. You are not imagining things. Many many many members have achieved around 4.2 +/- .1 sec stock to 60. Mine stock was like 4.7secs and i am in a GLC.
I definitely felt that speed and ability to hook up and put down the power when I initially got the car. It's one of the things that made the transition from the W204 C63 to the W205 C43 so seamless for me.

Now I hear all the noise and excitement from the engine and exhaust without the shove to match it.

Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
One thing to check...turn on the HP/TQ gauges on the COMAND screen and do some pulls once you're fully warmed up. Where does the HP max out? Also, turn on the AMG page on the central cluster screen...is the boost gauge staying close to pegged? There's a "soft code" error that can happen in the background that doesn't throw a CEL, but does limit boost because of one reason or another. If either HP or boost levels aren't showing what they should, it will be worth the trip to the dealer to have them sort it out.
I'll try both of those. Thanks for the tips!

Originally Posted by MVEOVR
I've only clocked 100 miles on my 19 C43 but the transmission does take longer to warm up after the oil is at temperature so that sounds normal. Being in comfort mode on mine and 30 degree F temps makes sense, but there's no slowness, it's a little rocket even in comfort
No joke, mine feels indistinguishable from a C300 in C mode right now.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 AMG C43 T
In winter here in Norway, my transmission needs about 15 minutes before it's warm. But this is with 14 degree F outside... I have an auxiliary heater, but it only heats up the engine oil etc. The transmission is around 32-40 degrees F at start when it's this cold outside.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by hlieberg
In winter here in Norway, my transmission needs about 15 minutes before it's warm. But this is with 14 degree F outside... I have an auxiliary heater, but it only heats up the engine oil etc. The transmission is around 32-40 degrees F at start when it's this cold outside.
Thank you for adding another valuable data point suggesting all is behaving as normal.

I guess my next question is - what's the deal with this transmission needing so much time to warm up?

I could monitor transmission temperatures on the MCT in my W204 C63 (obviously a different transmission with no torque converter, etc.) and it would often reach normal operating temperature just as quickly as the oil temperature.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG C43
On the flip side, when it is warm and I'm driving the car hard, the trans fluid temp doesn't stray high either. I would rather it take awhile to warm up (also an hour or so on the highway) than to worry that the transmission needs to be babied when 100+ degrees and having fun.
RichardCranium3 (02-01-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Big Goober
On the flip side, when it is warm and I'm driving the car hard, the trans fluid temp doesn't stray high either. I would rather it take awhile to warm up (also an hour or so on the highway) than to worry that the transmission needs to be babied when 100+ degrees and having fun.
Fair point. Definitely a silver lining.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:15 AM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Had to commute far today so I decided to take some measurements. Today was around -13 to -14*C ambient temperature not including wind chills or driving speed. Gauges showed -11*C engine and -7*C trans. Warmed up car until idle rpm drops (1 minute) and took the city streets for 2 mins before hitting the highway. From there I had medium rush hour traffic, all in comfort mode.

Took me exactly 15 minutes for Engine temp to hit 70*C and 50 minutes for Tranny Fluid to hit 50*C.
zibby43 (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 04:16 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
C43 AMG
Its pretty simple if you didnt stole a car but bought it off a Dealer:
If theres a Problem -> Go to the Dealer, put your Keys on their Desk and have them fix it.
If its not fixed, don't take the car back till it is fixed.

You get a Loan Car for this time and thats it.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Malar
Its pretty simple if you didnt stole a car but bought it off a Dealer:
If theres a Problem -> Go to the Dealer, put your Keys on their Desk and have them fix it.
If its not fixed, don't take the car back till it is fixed.

You get a Loan Car for this time and thats it.
Wait. There's a dealership?!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
A cold tranny is not a problem. Worrying about it is a waste of time. People spend a lot of money to upgrade intercoolers for a reason. Heat kills a tranny not cold.

It may shift a little sluggishly while cold but nothing is being damaged.
zibby43 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
So, I haven't had a chance to do some really hard WOT pulls from a stop.

But I've done some pretty aggressive WOT pulls from a roll and here are some things I've noticed:

1) The boost gauge readout in the gauge cluster never hits "max"

2) All I've made so far on the engine/torque readout on the COMAND display is: about 260 horsepower and about 300 lb-ft

Before my W204 C63, I had several E90/F30 335i sedans (AWD, RWD, tuned, stock, you name it). The C43 should feel faster than those.

Right now, it's just a bit of mid-range punch for a split second and then the car runs out of breath in a hurry.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by zibby43
So, I haven't had a chance to do some really hard WOT pulls from a stop.

But I've done some pretty aggressive WOT pulls from a roll and here are some things I've noticed:

1) The boost gauge readout in the gauge cluster never hits "max"

2) All I've made so far on the engine/torque readout on the COMAND display is: about 260 horsepower and about 300 lb-ft

Before my W204 C63, I had several E90/F30 335i sedans (AWD, RWD, tuned, stock, you name it). The C43 should feel faster than those.

Right now, it's just a bit of mid-range punch for a split second and then the car runs out of breath in a hurry.

You should take it in for service and have them check for a boost leak. This has been known to cause a loss of power that does not trigger a CEL.
Search this subforum for more info on this issue. A couple users on here have encountered it. If it's a boost leak that's a very simple fix.

Both my C450 and my GLC 43 will max the HP meter in the command console if run at WOT in S+ or manual mode. My GLC will always max boost before WOT. Just a little extra foot pressure and the bar maxes. My C450 does not have a boost meter like the '43 models so I can't verify on that one.

Last edited by Mr. J; 02-03-2019 at 02:29 PM.
questern007 (02-06-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Mr. J
You should take it in for service and have them check for a boost leak. This has been known to cause a loss of power that does not trigger a CEL.
Search this subforum for more info on this issue. A couple users on here have encountered it. If it's a boost leak that's a very simple fix.

Both my C450 and my GLC 43 will max the HP meter in the command console if run at WOT in S+ or manual mode. My GLC will always max boost before WOT. Just a little extra foot pressure and the bar maxes. My C450 does not have a boost meter like the '43 models so I can't verify on that one.
Weather broke and hit mid-60s here today. Went out on a long drive. Depleted my gas tank to nearly empty and went to a different gas station than normal to fill up on 93 V Power. Waited until all fluids hit normal operating temps.

Drove to an empty stretch of road and buried the throttle pedal. Was consistently hitting 360+ on both the hp and torque readouts. Torque was at 370+.

Boost meter was jumping to the right.

Drove to my regular Shell gas station to pick up some water and noticed that they had signs on all the pumps that said “no premium, no mid-grade.”

I spoke to the manager and it looks like the last time I filled up at my regular station a week or so ago, it was possible that I was given “regular” gas, as an employee had neglected to put the signage up on time on every pump.

Could bad gas have caused the engine to protect itself and change parameters to compensate?

Regardless, car feels strong now.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:30 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
Gas for sure could have been causing some of the issues in performance. Glad to hear its roaring now like it should be!
zibby43 (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by MVEOVR
Gas for sure could have been causing some of the issues in performance. Glad to hear its roaring now like it should be!
Thanks man. This was my first time getting to drive the car in anger in good weather, post break-in.

It’s an impressive piece of machinery. And I’m not impressed easily. As soon as I get my other issues sorted, I think I’ll truly be enamored with this car.