Sponsored by:

Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 C43
Angry Transmission Issues

With less than 5,000 miles on the odometer, my 2019 C43 refused to move this morning! It feels as is the transmission is not engaging and stuck in neutral (heard unusual noises as well). Had car towed this morning to my dealership. While I wait to hear from them I was curious to see if others have had similar issues. Needless to say, I am beyond disappointed with MB. I hesitated a long while when purchasing the car and opted for the C-43 over a Ghibli given the reliability issues of the Italian beast... This is my 5th MB and I haven't similar issues with my previous ownership so a bit dumfounded that a car with such low miles would have that type of issues ( and no, I did not abuse this thing . Thanks in advance for your assistance and perspective!

Last edited by stephdetroit; 03-17-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:47 PM

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
C43 AMG
never heard of it. At the end of the day there is always a chance of something going wrong with any car. Its more about how they deal with it when it does.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:06 PM

2019 C43
Thanks. Agree and understand the concept of things breaking down but it sucks when it happens to you! Anyway, to your point, it is all going to be about how this is handled going forward....Will update forum as we go but would love to hear if anything like that happened before. I am not that special and this must have happened before
Old 03-17-2019, 07:02 PM

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
C43 AMG
Could be an issue with 2019? I havent seen anything before about not being able to select gear. Where did you hear the noises from??
Old 03-18-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 C43 AMG Coupe
This happened to me in a 2018 Gle43. It said something about a transmission issue, wouldn't move after that, right at an intersection too!
Old 03-18-2019, 03:47 PM

2019 C43
Uodate

The car has yet to be looked at but a floor guy seems to think that the front differential came out (????). Still baffled that this would happen to a brand new vehicle without hitting anything . Thus far really not impressed with the customer service at Benz of Cincinnati ( they don’t seem to be concerned, no loaner available etc...) and I don’t feel that anybody really cares . This is my 4th Benz but had much better service with Chevy on my Tahoe .Will keep group updated, which me luck!
Old 03-18-2019, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
Originally Posted by stephdetroit
The car has yet to be looked at but a floor guy seems to think that the front differential came out (????). Still baffled that this would happen to a brand new vehicle without hitting anything . Thus far really not impressed with the customer service at Benz of Cincinnati ( they don’t seem to be concerned, no loaner available etc...) and I don’t feel that anybody really cares . This is my 4th Benz but had much better service with Chevy on my Tahoe .Will keep group updated, which me luck!
No Loaner? uhh what are you driving. That is completely unacceptable.

and to think you'd have better luck in a ghilbi seems silly even with this going on. That's easily the best way yo waste money - buying a maserati
Old 03-18-2019, 05:51 PM

2019 C43
Fair enough on the Ghibli I finally got a loaner, will see how the rest goes
Old 03-19-2019, 05:53 PM

2019 C43
Thumbs up Happy Ending

OK so it turned out that the left front axle intermediate shaft came out of the differential! Weird. Sounds to me that the circle clip was never there in first place and thing came out eventually. ANYWAY, Benz of Cincinnati/ Charlene took care of the entire thing. Customer service is still alive and my baby is back! Thanks for the folks that responded.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:52 PM

C43
I have SAME problem

OMG same thing just happened to me. I've had my 2019 C43 for 3 weeks, approximately 1k miles. My "transmission failed" in the middle of an intersection on a left turn while I was waiting for traffic to clear. It engaged after I restarted the car ... and did not recur when I drove it to the dealer. It has been at the dealer for over a week and they are working with Mercedes. Truly unbelievable with a Mercedes! Will wait to hear what your resolution is ... and mine.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 cls55
I just setup an appointment for my 5 month old car. I’m having the same problem, I’m experiencing loss of power and air hissing sound from the engine compartment, and feels like the transmission slips in low gear no torque at all. I tried to over take a slow car this morning and and I firmly accelerated the car wasn’t doing anything and then 5 seconds later it picked up power to pass smh. Question, do I have to pay anything out of pocket? Or does the warranty covers everything?
Old 05-04-2019, 05:01 PM

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by Jurena
I just setup an appointment for my 5 month old car. I’m having the same problem, I’m experiencing loss of power and air hissing sound from the engine compartment, and feels like the transmission slips in low gear no torque at all. I tried to over take a slow car this morning and and I firmly accelerated the car wasn’t doing anything and then 5 seconds later it picked up power to pass smh. Question, do I have to pay anything out of pocket? Or does the warranty covers everything?
unless you drove into something and damaged the car warranty covers everything, it better.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:17 PM

2006 cls55
Originally Posted by AMGiggity
unless you drove into something and damaged the car warranty covers everything, it better.
oh ok thanks brother. No I drive my car normal most of the times, spirited driving here and there.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 E63s Sedan & 2019 C43 Coupe
I had the same thing happen. I got a 2019 C43 brand new. I drove it about 1100 miles on a road trip on the first weekend I had it. The road trip went smoothly and I made it home. Then, the next morning, I only drove a few feet and the car went into neutral and popped up an error "Transmission Malfunction. Stop"

The car was towed to the dealership on April 23rd and has been there ever since. Supposedly they flew in an "MBZ" engineer. He is "having [the dealership] order some fluids for the transmission" that wont even arrive until Thursday. I had to fight pretty hard to even get a loaner C300.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:21 PM

2006 cls55
Originally Posted by SandSnip3r
I had the same thing happen. I got a 2019 C43 brand new. I drove it about 1100 miles on a road trip on the first weekend I had it. The road trip went smoothly and I made it home. Then, the next morning, I only drove a few feet and the car went into neutral and popped up an error "Transmission Malfunction. Stop"

The car was towed to the dealership on April 23rd and has been there ever since. Supposedly they flew in an "MBZ" engineer. He is "having [the dealership] order some fluids for the transmission" that wont even arrive until Thursday. I had to fight pretty hard to even get a loaner C300.
That sucks bro, I’m surprised they gave me a glc 300 today. Hope everything works out for everyone.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 C43 AMG
Seems like a 2019 c43 issue. Great, I hope it doesn't happen to mine. Especially seeing as I have a JB4 plugged in.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by SandSnip3r

I got similar transmission error msg when I remove the transmission fuse by passenger kick panel to install a dashcam. Car was dead, nothing worked. After remembering to put the fuse back, all worked normal.

Some PDI requirements are to remove or insert shipping fuse on various car models. If this comes loose, your car is dead on water as well.
The following users liked this post:
PFEAMG (05-08-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 E63s Sedan & 2019 C43 Coupe
I just got the car back. Seems to be running fine for now. It wasn't obvious to them what the source of the problem was.

Service report:
Customer has picture of transmission malfunction message on command screen, message not currently present. Connected SDS and battery charger performed quick test found stored code in VGS control unit P073000 "There is an impermissible transmission ratio" processed code SDS state to check trans fluid level, performed trans fluid level check and found level is correct. Opened PTSS case #000126326 with control unit log and eeprom data. PTSS case state to check trans cooling lines, removed all gravel shields and inspected found all cooling lines routed correctly. Per PTSS case performed standstill transmission adaptation and sent eeprom data. Checked for software updates for VGS and M.E. found no newer software available. Per PTSS case removed transmission pan and took fluid sample, also removed valve body and inspected. Per PTSS case performed air check of transmission with diagram provided. Reported all findings back to PTSS case. Per PTSS case reassembled transmission with new valve body bolts and new transmission pan with new filters and bolts. Installed new trans fluid and corrected trans fluid level. Performed transmission standstill adaptation. Cleated all codes and performed test drive (47 miles) per PTSS case. Performed final short test found no return codes, rechecked for fluid leaks found none. Transmission system is functioning as designed and no message present in command. System functioning properly at this time.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:07 PM

2006 cls55
[QUOTE=SandSnip3r;7751807]I just got the car back. Seems to be running fine for now. It wasn't obvious to them what the source of the problem was.

Service report:
Customer has picture of transmission malfunction message on command screen, message not currently present. Connected SDS and battery charger performed quick test found stored code in VGS control unit P073000 "There is an impermissible transmission ratio" processed code SDS state to check trans fluid level, performed trans fluid level check and found level is correct. Opened PTSS case #000126326 with control unit log and eeprom data. PTSS case state to check trans cooling lines, removed all gravel shields and inspected found all cooling lines routed correctly. Per PTSS case performed standstill transmission adaptation and sent eeprom data. Checked for software updates for VGS and M.E. found no newer software available. Per PTSS case removed transmission pan and took fluid sample, also removed valve body and inspected. Per PTSS case performed air check of transmission with diagram provided. Reported all findings back to PTSS case. Per PTSS case reassembled transmission with new valve body bolts and new transmission pan with new filters and bolts. Installed new trans fluid and corrected trans fluid level. Performed transmission standstill adaptation. Cleated all codes and performed test drive (47 miles) per PTSS case. Performed final short test found no return codes, rechecked for fluid leaks found none. Transmission system is functioning as designed and no message present in command. System functioning properly at this time.[/QUOTE

My service department called me this morning too, they said the car is running fine they can’t find anything wrong with it. That they drove it for 9 miles, I was like I have Mercedes me connect and the mileage is still the same as when I dropped it off and and the gas is still the same and the engine was on for 4 minutes so where exactly did they drive it too. Then they said they had a c43 coming in today to compare both on how they drive.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:40 AM

CLK 350 Cabriolet
Wow this is all such great input. The scary thing is we should all be much angrier and more demanding in respect of this generally acceptable normal problem. And yet I suspect the lack of aggression in demanding resolution stems from the fact we all love these machines so much!!
​​​​​​​
On a serious note though guys this problem is also much wider that Mercedes admits too. They claim it only effects a few not all....when you see all the comments I think its more the rule than the exception......
Old 03-31-2021, 10:54 AM

CLK 350 Cabriolet
Substitution Of Goods

So many years ago I got a new C230 kompressor coupe. Similar issue. After two weeks while on vacation. After 3 months in the workshop with no real answers or a fix insight, Mercedes South Africa did a substitution of goods and I got a brand new one two months later. So all in all I waited about 5 months. While I waited they loaned me me then a C270 CDi to drive. Gotta love that.i didn't even ask for it they just did it 💯🇩🇪 I love Mercedes man. My C43 is my highlight though without compare.....just that f*** front wheel skip must go!! 🙏😂
Old 03-31-2021, 12:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe (2017)
I had an issue recently where my 2017 C43 Coupe failed to start up (eco mode shut off was activated) in the middle of an intersection when i was making a left hand turn. All the dash lights came on as if it was in accessory mode, and i had to push start the car again to move. Taking it into the dealer monday.