C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piggyback voids warranty? Anyone has real experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 03:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 C43
Piggyback voids warranty? Anyone has real experience?

Hi guys, I've seen a lot of debates about whether piggyback products void factory warranty or not on google and they have gone really hot recently. I just had my Racechip installed few days ago. Can anyone with real experience tell me about whether your dealers will find out you've installed piggyback products so that they void your warranty when you are doing maintenance or regular services, even if you remove the piggyback before bringing to dealership? I'm skeptical to those who don't have real experiences and keep stating that piggyback won't leave trace on ECU or something like that. Someone with real experience please tell me the truth. I don't want to get my car into trouble and end up with no warranty covered for power train.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:45 AM

Received 132 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Yes it will void warranty if a tune is found

Soooo I just take mine out before I go to dealer
Old 04-12-2019, 05:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 C43
Originally Posted by Dieseldan9
Yes it will void warranty if a tune is found

Soooo I just take mine out before I go to dealer
Did you get ECU tune or just a piggyback?
Old 04-12-2019, 08:50 AM

piggyback but if they look hard enough in the ECU they CAN see it.

IF they are looking, so if u have no major issues with motor or tranny u will be fine.

IF you issues and they look u might be screwed.

ME I don't give a **** and tune the **** out of my car, these cars have a track record of being reliable.
The following users liked this post:
BillyTheDude (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too many to list
Pay to play.

If a dealer really wants to look into your car. They can find traces.

But obviously don’t leave any visible hardware when you take your car in for services.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Arthrodesis
Pay to play.

If a dealer really wants to look into your car. They can find traces.

But obviously don’t leave any visible hardware when you take your car in for services.
Yup it is easy to take out tune anyways
Old 04-12-2019, 05:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
'17 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by BillyTheDude
Hi guys, I've seen a lot of debates about whether piggyback products void factory warranty or not on google and they have gone really hot recently. I just had my Racechip installed few days ago. Can anyone with real experience tell me about whether your dealers will find out you've installed piggyback products so that they void your warranty when you are doing maintenance or regular services, even if you remove the piggyback before bringing to dealership? I'm skeptical to those who don't have real experiences and keep stating that piggyback won't leave trace on ECU or something like that. Someone with real experience please tell me the truth. I don't want to get my car into trouble and end up with no warranty covered for power train.
Nothing "voids" your warranty right off the bat -- Magnuson Moss Act prevents that from happening. Now, if something goes wrong and they can link it to whatever modification you made, then you'll be at risk for your warranty being voided. I've taken my tuned car to the dealership many times and unless there's an issue, there's absolutely no reason for them to look at your ECU or try and find a piggy-back. Most dealers are also aware that many people modify their cars and it would be very bad business for them to jump the gun on these type of things.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:30 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
Last poster is correct, the law prevents them from voiding your warranty just because you installed an aftermarket accessory or part "unless the dealer/manufacturer can prove that the part or accessory cause a subsequent issue" and that's where it gets tricky. For example if you put a cheap oil filter on the car and it leaks and the engine runs without oil you're screwed. But in today's world of electronics it really get grey. So you could end up in a huge fight with the dealer/MB and you'll be playing defensive. Do you want the fight and expense? Saying all this I still installed an aftermarket front camera in my 2019 C43 Sedan and am not worried.