Sponsored by:

THE END OF THE C43?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 04:38 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan '19, Saab 9-3ss '03 Stage7, Saab 900 cabrio '92
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
Let me say only one thing. I’m glad that we’re getting our cars this year and not 2 years later...
that's one of the main reasons i went for the C43 and i am still thinking if i did the wrong choice and go for the c63 (but i think it's too much...), V6, sound etc.... here in Europe people it's freaking out with electrics, Diesels... and all of this BS.

as commented above when i went to the Audi dealer in August last year for the RS3 sedan, they just stopped the production due teh WLTP (now they are resuming it), all RS models stopped and they just received the communication that the S models will be V6 diesel, the dealer was desperate and shocked with this. After waiting months I just give-up and went directly to the Merc.

I've been driving 4 cylinder turbo engine, during many years and i wanted somethign different.... I said myself or I do it now or never. That's why I discarded the S60 polestar, Jaguar I4 etc... at the end I didn't have many choices on engine, power, price.

regards
The following 2 users liked this post by EdC43AMG:
AhEmGee (05-03-2019), PFEAMG (05-01-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
Originally Posted by waisoserious
The A35 and A45 both also share a 2.0Liter and AWD.

S63 and S65 also both AWD.

The C43 was always meant to be a cheaper alternative to the C63. It was not meant to be a baby E63 or whatever. So this news shouldnt surprise you at all.
No model of S65 or V12 engined Merc Saloon has ever been AWD. Not enough room around the V12 for front differential . Only the V8s have been offered with 4 Matic.
The following users liked this post:
PFEAMG (05-04-2019)
Old 02-27-2020, 08:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
c43
Interesting post.

Personally I think, it's not fair to compare a C43 to C63.
They are different cars, one a 4matic, the other a RWD, with different engines, transmission and setup, of course their performance will not be the same.

Is C43 a fake AMG? This term "fake" is badly used.
Example, if XXX car company tries to make a car that tries to be an AMG and slap an AMG badge on it. Yes, I would call that a fake AMG.
But the fact is, the C43 engine has been tuned by AMG, the exterior and interior also touched up by AMG. Why then would anyone call this a fake AMG? OK...the engine may not have been hand assembled like the traditional AMG, so from traditional and purist views this might be enough to classified the car as a "NOT FULL ON" AMG. But it's hardly a "FAKE" AMG.

My previous two AMGs were 2015 CLA45 and 2017 FL CLA45. At that time, people said; "that's a baby AMG...", "that's not real AMG, its only a 4cylinders..."

My point being everyone's definition of an AMG or "fake" AMG seems to vary.
But for me there are three categories that makes a car an AMG.

1. The styling; interior and exterior (the style that makes you look back when you walk away after parking, you long to sit in that stylish and lively interior and inviting cockpit)
2. Performance/Handling (the thrilling sensations of power/torque/accelerations, grippy handling around twisty roads)
3. Engine and exhaust sound. (the type of sounds that puts a smile on your face when you hear the roar, cracks and pops!)

Does the C43 have all the above 3 points covered?
Absolutely!

Is it a "fake" AMG?.
How could you even think that?!

Last edited by Cowboy11; 02-28-2020 at 02:19 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Cowboy11:
Baldur! (02-28-2020), batman719 (02-28-2020), PFEAMG (03-02-2020), zibby43 (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Cowboy11
Interesting post.

Personally I think, it's not fair to compare a C43 to C63.
They are different cars, one a 4matic, the other a RWD, with different engines, transmission and setup, of course their performance will not be the same.

Is C43 a fake AMG? This term "fake" is badly used.
Example, if XXX car company tries to make a car that tries to be an AMG and slap an AMG badge on it. Yes, I would call that a fake AMG.
But the fact is, the C43 engine has been tuned by AMG, the exterior and interior also touched up by AMG. Why then would anyone call this a fake AMG? OK...the engine may not have been hand assembled like the traditional AMG, so from traditional and purist views this might be enough to classified the car as a "NOT FULL ON" AMG. But it's hardly a "FAKE" AMG.

My previous two AMGs were 2015 CLA45 and 2017 FL CLA45. At that time, people said; "that's a baby AMG...", "that's not real AMG, it only a 4cylinders..."

My point being everyone's definition of an AMG or "fake" AMG seems to vary.
But for me there are three categories that makes a car an AMG.

1. The styling; interior and exterior (the style that makes you look back when you walk away after parking, you long to sit in that stylish and lively interior and inviting cockpit)
2. Performance/Handling (the thrilling sensations of power/torque/accelerations, grippy handling around twisty roads)
3. Engine and exhaust sound. (the type of sounds that puts a smile on your face when you here the roar, cracks and pops!)

Does the C43 have all the above 3 points covered?
Absolutely!

Is it a "fake" AMG?.
How could you even think that?!
Strong, strong post.

Loved my '13 C63 sedan, which I had for 5 years. Its appeal was in the extremes: the insane speed, the symphonic exhaust, the Recaro-built bucket seats, the oversized front/rear boat anchor brake hardware, and that characterful 6.2L V8.

After getting engaged, getting a new home, and consolidating to 1 car to have as a daily driver, I opted for an '18 C43. Completely different car to the W204 C63. AWD, 2 less cylinders, turbocharged.

It didn't have the same driver's license-toasting top end as the C63, but it was hilariously easy to use the power on a daily basis. I could stomp the throttle at stop lights and stop signs and the power always hooked up, irrespective of weather conditions. You could hustle the C43 over backroads with ease. And while the tone and nature of the sound was different, the sound was still boisterous and special with the PE. I still felt that emotional connection to the car because of the sound and power.

My '18 C43 had several issues and I was ultimately able to get rid of it. I was considering replacing it with a base '20 C63 (non-S), or a fully loaded '20 C43. I ultimately chose the C43 because it fits what I need now - something that will deliver the special driving experience without the need for 2 tire swaps per year. Neither option was a bad choice, but the fact that I would be happy with each for different reasons demonstrates that both cars are special in their own right, and there is no need for owners of either option to crap on one another.

The following 4 users liked this post by zibby43:
Baldur! (02-28-2020), batman719 (02-28-2020), Cowboy11 (02-28-2020), PFEAMG (03-02-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 12:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 AMG C43
Like any good business what Mercedes is going to do with the C43 and C63s is going to "mirror" what BMW and Audi are doing.

Is Mercedes going to give up their slice of the C43/S4/M340i market to BMW and Audi...Nope.

They will compete with the S4 and the M340i...that is a lucrative market.

The C43 will have something under its hood that can compete spec to spec with the B58 engine in the M340i.

Competition in the market dictates that...Mercedes does not do business in a vacuum.

But going up market to the C63...Audi and BMW have already gone to 6 cylinders in the RS4/RS5 and the M3/M4.

Mercedes will come out with a 6 cylinder C63 that targets the RS4/RS5 and the M3/M4...500 HP.

BMW is very happy to make a 6 cylinder M340i and a 6 cylinder M3.

Expect Mercedes to do the exact same thing with the next generation C43 and C63.

Because ultimately what gets built and sold is more driven by the competition...and marketing and sales that needs to meet the competition...than the engineering department.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,565 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by CAMC43
Like any good business what Mercedes is going to do with the C43 and C63s is going to "mirror" what BMW and Audi are doing.

Is Mercedes going to give up their slice of the C43/S4/M340i market to BMW and Audi...Nope.

They will compete with the S4 and the M340i...that is a lucrative market.

The C43 will have something under its hood that can compete spec to spec with the B58 engine in the M340i.

Competition in the market dictates that...Mercedes does not do business in a vacuum.

But going up market to the C63...Audi and BMW have already gone to 6 cylinders in the RS4/RS5 and the M3/M4.

Mercedes will come out with a 6 cylinder C63 that targets the RS4/RS5 and the M3/M4...500 HP.

BMW is very happy to make a 6 cylinder M340i and a 6 cylinder M3.

Expect Mercedes to do the exact same thing with the next generation C43 and C63.

Because ultimately what gets built and sold is more driven by the competition...and marketing and sales that needs to meet the competition...than the engineering department.
The segment as such has indeed its place. I don't think that's being debated in this context. What's debated frequently is the badging of the C43 as an AMG. If you look specifically at Audi what they are doing, they are clearly separating the S (Sport) from the RS (Racing Sport, Rennsport in German) models, at least as far as badging is concerned. They actually even have different VINs. S models are designed and engineered by Audi, while RS models are designed and engineered by Audi Sport, a wholly owned subsidiary like AMG. Audi S VIN's start with WAU, which is Audi's identifier and RS models start with WUA, which is Audi Sport's formerly Quattro Gmbh's identifier. Audi Sport traditionally uses the Audi distribution channels to sell their cars. Historically, in some countries RS models were actually sold under the Quattro name and not Audi. The Audi S models are very similar to the AMG light models in that they are regular Audis that are slighlty modified and tuned by Audi Sport, but still remain Audi cars, whereas the RS models like the AMG 63 and higher models are re-engineered from the inside out with different drivetrain and suspension components, and even different body panels to make them wider. At least in the past that was more the case with RS models getting completely different engines from the S models. That's less and less the case with Audi, though. The TTRS and RS3 still have a unique 5-cyl engine, but the RS5 and S5 now share an engine. The block and core is the same, the RS simply has a slightly shorter stroke which is what makes it a 2.9 instead of a 3.0 and an additional turbo, and some strengthening of internal parts to cope with extra power. Similar to what AMG does with the 4.0 V8 to get the different power levels, but at least for now, AMG doesn't share engines between the 63 and 43 lines. It's all becoming a bit of a wash with these brands. Audi clearly separates them with the badging, but are starting to differentiate them less from an engineering standpoint, whereas AMG has one badge, but differentiates the lines with the engine, drivetrain parts and body (wider tracks). For example 43 and 53 models don't get an active rear differential, either, that's only reserved for 63 and GT models. Same for drift mode in the newer 4Matic+ models.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-28-2020 at 01:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
Soubido (02-29-2020), Xec (02-28-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 01:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
c43
Originally Posted by zibby43
Strong, strong post.

Loved my '13 C63 sedan, which I had for 5 years. Its appeal was in the extremes: the insane speed, the symphonic exhaust, the Recaro-built bucket seats, the oversized front/rear boat anchor brake hardware, and that characterful 6.2L V8.

After getting engaged, getting a new home, and consolidating to 1 car to have as a daily driver, I opted for an '18 C43. Completely different car to the W204 C63. AWD, 2 less cylinders, turbocharged.

It didn't have the same driver's license-toasting top end as the C63, but it was hilariously easy to use the power on a daily basis. I could stomp the throttle at stop lights and stop signs and the power always hooked up, irrespective of weather conditions. You could hustle the C43 over backroads with ease. And while the tone and nature of the sound was different, the sound was still boisterous and special with the PE. I still felt that emotional connection to the car because of the sound and power.

My '18 C43 had several issues and I was ultimately able to get rid of it. I was considering replacing it with a base '20 C63 (non-S), or a fully loaded '20 C43. I ultimately chose the C43 because it fits what I need now - something that will deliver the special driving experience without the need for 2 tire swaps per year. Neither option was a bad choice, but the fact that I would be happy with each for different reasons demonstrates that both cars are special in their own right, and there is no need for owners of either option to crap on one another.
I hear you mate.
So after the 2018 C43 gave you grief. You managed to get a new one but 2020 C43. I don't think there are any changes for the C43 during these years.

Spot on when you mentioned about the cars being good for different reasons.

When people crap about their former car, it's almost like *****ing about their previous girlfriend. Now that they broke up, plenty negatives to say about the former and all bright stars for the latest. At one stage the former was a fit for purpose/situations. Then come along a new car/gf to suit changing circumstances/situations in honeymoon period with the latest greatest because the new gf is more attractive in certain other ways doesn't necessarily mean the former is not good is it in this case? 😂😂
Just my light hearted view replying to the post that compared the C63 to C43 and calling the latter fake AMG.
The following users liked this post:
zibby43 (03-01-2020)