C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all DIYers

Old 05-01-2019, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C43
Calling all DIYers

Well anyone that can check your dipstick.

I noticed recently after when I did my first oil change, that when you pull the dipstick out it's dry completely. So like regular Joe, I added some more oil.

However, when I check again last week, dipstick was completely dry again! But before I decided to add more oil, I checked again but this time it was over max!

Is something wrong with my dipstick or is it how it's design like check the dipstick on 2nd try?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 133 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by stockbmw View Post
Well anyone that can check your dipstick.

I noticed recently after when I did my first oil change, that when you pull the dipstick out it's dry completely. So like regular Joe, I added some more oil.

However, when I check again last week, dipstick was completely dry again! But before I decided to add more oil, I checked again but this time it was over max!

Is something wrong with my dipstick or is it how it's design like check the dipstick on 2nd try?
Check second try. If you overfilled, you need to drain out the xs.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:32 AM

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
did you warm engine up? car needs to be on level surface and at operating temp to correctly check oil level. i noticed it says you have c300 so i cant say the exact amount you need but for the c43/450 guys, 7.5qts of oil is what it takes roughly.
The following users liked this post:
Lazz83 (05-04-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by Star4life View Post
did you warm engine up? car needs to be on level surface and at operating temp to correctly check oil level. i noticed it says you have c300 so i cant say the exact amount you need but for the c43/450 guys, 7.5qts of oil is what it takes roughly.
Thanks, changed the profile!

Now back to topic, does this engine have seal around the dipstick area? All cars prior to this, dipstick never came out dry completely, whether engine is warm cold or otherwise. Can anyone check if it's the case on your car? Good to check the dipstick once in a while. Thx!
Old 05-04-2019, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by stockbmw View Post
Thanks, changed the profile!

Now back to topic, does this engine have seal around the dipstick area? All cars prior to this, dipstick never came out dry completely, whether engine is warm cold or otherwise. Can anyone check if it's the case on your car? Good to check the dipstick once in a while. Thx!
It has a seal and will always read low on the first pull.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
If you overfilled you need to vacuum out the excess or drain it out from underneath. You can kill a motor from overfilling oil.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
It has a seal and will always read low on the first pull.
Why?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Petegtsv10 View Post
Why?

I don't know, I can only speculate.

All I know for certain is that both of my Mercs have an o-ring on the dip stick and it seals up air tight. It's as tight or tighter than a normal ATF dipstick. Every time I pull the dipstick it reads low on the 1st pull and normal on the second one.