Steering Wheel Touchpad Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4
Steering Wheel Touchpad Problems

Hi there,

Anyone else experiencing unresponsive steering wheel touchpad? Mine often doesn’t always respond to my touch and sometimes it takes several seconds for the action to happen.

Thanks in advance for the feedback
Old 06-07-2019, 07:09 AM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
19 C43 Coupe, XC 60
You can adjust the sensitivity on one of the settings menus.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:30 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 C43 Wagon
I occasionally get the same thing on the left side touch sensor - when I want to swipe through the display screens (up & down) there are times where it seems to not respond - but given the touch sensor, it could be that my finger was too dry or not firm enough. I've been trying to reproduce it to narrow down if it's me or it, but haven't figured it out yet.

I'm still figuring out the best way to control the infotainment, and so far use the center console controls over the steering wheel controls.
On a side note, when in android auto, is there a way to get the radio controls to pop up from the bottom (to skip stations) other than clicking the FFWD button on the touchpad?
The following users liked this post:
sasso (09-18-2021)
Old 06-07-2019, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
at standard setting it doesn't like the tip of my thumb - have to use the pad of my thumb - gong to look for the setting to adjust t a bit more sensitive
Old 06-07-2019, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Hang in here with me. Our 18 month old Samsung washing machine crapped out on us last month so I've been dealing with getting Samsung to cover the repairs. Given the situation, I've been reading loads of reviews to see if anyone else has had the same problem. The unit uses a capacitive touch panel, akin to the touch pads on these new steering wheel controls. I found several reviews from people reporting the touch panels were unresponsive to the touch of certain people. Wives would try to use the machine and have no response, only to have their husbands walk up and everything works fine. I wonder if this same situation is happening to people out there with these fancy new touch based systems. I know a lot of the new Lincoln and GM cars have button setups like this. That would suck.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 '19
I just picked up my car yesterday and still learning the car. I do notice that I have to swipe several times to get it to move along. I also noticed this when using CarPlay and turning the knob to scroll through the menu, it sometimes doesn't sense it. Anyone else have issues with the Carplay responsiveness?
Old 06-07-2019, 03:25 PM

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
'19 C43
They are capacitive touchpads, just like most touchscreens are (i.e. cellphone). They need an ever so slight electrical field to be present to register a touch. If your hands are unusually dry that will lessen the conductivity. If you work with your hands a lot, the skin thickens due to wear and the resulting reduced sloughing of the dead cells; this reduces the conductivity. Residue from lotion or other substances that might build up on the pads also reduces the conductivity. And some people just don't produce the same amount of electric "charge" across their skin as others do. Temperature itself has no effect, except that sweat will increase the conductivity.

To adjust the sensitivity Go to "System" and then select "Input" then "Touch Control Sensitivity." Hopefully adjusting the sensitivity helps with the issue for you.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4
Thank you for your input. I will adjust the sensitivity and report back. I’m not confident given that many times it was perfectly fine.