Sponsored by:

Newer Owner Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 07:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
016 c450 AMG
Newer Owner Question

I have an 016 C459 AMG and have owned it now for about 10 weeks. It has 50 thou (km), about 32K miles...Normal driving and on the front display I have seen a red warning triangle appear twice. It has come on and went off so fast there has not been enough time to recognize what its trying to tell me. The car has been in comfort mode, and it has had zero impact on anything that I can see or feel..Everything seems perfectly normal with absolutely nothing impacted. Would there be any code stored that I could have read? I am about an hour away from my dealer and wondering if I should drop by and have it scanned. If anyone else has had this experience..Thanks
Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan Update GLE 43 SVU - A200 W177
Isn't that the distance warning symbol ???
Old 07-17-2019, 09:52 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
C450 AMG

What the distance warning light means

When this light is illuminated, it indicates that the computer has detected an object in the road ahead of you that is approaching quickly. This may not always be a car and could be a large object in the road. Keep your eyes peeled for anything on the ground if there are no cars ahead of you. Once you have slowed down or gone past the object, the light should go out.

Keep in mind that this system doesn’t look only at distance, rather it looks at how quickly you are approaching an object in front of you. Even if the car ahead is a good distance away, you should still slow down as they are most likely moving slower than you.

Typically, there are separate warning lights to indicate that an issue has been detected. A common fault with these systems is a blocked sensor. Dirt and debris stuck to the front of the car can inhibit the sensors ability to see and the system will be deactivated temporarily. Clean off the front of the car and everything should return to normal. If cleaning the car doesn’t help, get help from a qualified technician to identify the problem using a diagnostic scan tool and fix it.
For me, this comes up every now and then and shows for only a second, even on an empty stretch of road. Maybe it sees a rock or something in the road sticking out or a pothole.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 C43 Sedan
I get this regularly when I'm driving a little more aggressively in traffic. If I see a car turning and know I'll make it, when I start getting close this alarm goes crazy. Also doesn't like me zooming out of the the parking garage at work.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:23 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing
may be the active collision prevention? there is a sensor (probably a Doppler radar) in front of C43 that measures your speed with respect to the object in front of you and warns you if you get too close.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:57 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by White One
I have an 016 C459 AMG and have owned it now for about 10 weeks. It has 50 thou (km), about 32K miles...Normal driving and on the front display I have seen a red warning triangle appear twice. It has come on and went off so fast there has not been enough time to recognize what its trying to tell me. The car has been in comfort mode, and it has had zero impact on anything that I can see or feel..Everything seems perfectly normal with absolutely nothing impacted. Would there be any code stored that I could have read? I am about an hour away from my dealer and wondering if I should drop by and have it scanned. If anyone else has had this experience..Thanks
Nothing to worry about, it's the distance/collision warning symbol. Mine comes on occasionally if I approach railroad tracks in certain areas too fast.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
Isn't there also a audible "ping" type sound associated with the visual notification?
Old 07-18-2019, 09:37 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by noah phatt
Isn't there also a audible "ping" type sound associated with the visual notification?
There is,it freaks me out every time I hear the bing.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:26 AM

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Current: 2024 GLE350W4, 2016 Audi A8L Previous: 2019 C43W4
Originally Posted by White One
The Mercedes I have driven in Germany use the "collision warning" symbol to tell you you're following too closely, without an audible alert. The triangle will just display in the instrument cluster and will not go away until you've increased your following distance. It is speed dependent and will activate at different distances based on vehicle speed. I believe you can set different sensitivities for this feature--(3) if memory serves me correctly. This is NOT active on North American models.

If, however, you're approaching far too closely on an object (moving or stationary) it will do the visual, audible, and depending on how close you get, will activate the appropriate ABA (Active Brake Assist) stage.

In what country are you located?
Old 07-18-2019, 07:42 PM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
016 c450 AMG
Lots of info about everyone's experiences with this..Thanks a ton for sharing, sounds like something to get used to over time. Thats a hell of a lot better than looking for something to repair
Old 07-19-2019, 04:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
W205 AMG C63S
It goes off in two stages - first is just the visual warning, the triangle comes on, if you keep getting closer or the car in front of you suddenly brakes, it will flash and an audible ping will alert you. If your car has presafe and you continue doing nothing, the car will tighten the seat belts (quite significantly) and slam on the brakes.

Just after I got mine, my stepdad (who drives like a maniac) was taking it for a test drive on the motorway and was driving WAY to close. The guy in front of him brake checked himmand the car yanked us into the seats and slammed on the brakes! After that he drive a lot nicer

Last edited by Dalle1985; 07-19-2019 at 05:01 AM.