Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C43 or C300? (expect to have baby)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 12:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
18' C43 cab
Again, no matter how you want to post numbers it's pointless. What do they do in the real world?

The same magazine tested them both at the same time (1/4 mile):

Q60 RS - 13.3
C43 - 12.7

That's all that matters no matter how much Infiniti wants to inflate their numbers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Clint Westwood:
AZFTW (09-17-2019), lindigj (09-19-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 04:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by hatata
I had a 2017 and just got a 2019. The suspension is much better but its still stiff. Do not expect a bouncy cloudy ride .. on the 2017 the car felt like it was riding a single wooden plank that just had no give. Now it feels like i expected a sports sedan to feel .. harsh but manageable. No rattles or creaks the build quality is much higher.
I just test drove a 2019 C43 wagon yesterday, with the 19" wheels. I took it down a notoriously bumpy stretch of road that made my '17 feel like it had a suspension from a chariot. Embarrassingly bad. I am happy to report that Mercedes has made a siginficant improvement in ride quality. It was like they discovered how to handle an imperfect road. It is now passable, but the next issue is the garbage Continentals. Fine on the test drive , but a month later are brutally loud. I am not sure if I was imagining it but the steering was lighter, disappointingly lighter than my 17. To the OP, you are better off probably getting a GLC43.

Just a sidenote: test drove an S5 sportback and a 2020 M340xi as well on the same roads. The Audi was poor, and just as bad as my 17 C43 while the BMW positively glided over that stretch of road, on non-runflat Michelin Pilot 4S. I think I am going to make the switch

Last edited by coladin; 09-17-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
S205 C43 if your outside of North America. Keep long roofs alive!
The country of residence of OP is CA (Canada I assume?) where wagons are available in both C300 and C43

I am expecting a baby boy soon and I'm considering trading my C43 sedan for a C43 wagon, just for the ease of loading/unloading the stroller.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Clint Westwood
Again, no matter how you want to post numbers it's pointless. What do they do in the real world?

Q60 RS - 13.3
C43 - 12.7

That's all that matters no matter how much Infiniti wants to inflate their numbers.
I just came out of a '16 Q50 RS lease. I had the car for 3 years and just picked up my '19 C43 yesterday with performance exhaust.

There is no comparison in power. The RS is very fast in its own right but the C43 will pin you back in your seat like I have never experienced in the Q50. I didn't have the JB4 tune on my Q50 so can't comment on that front.

The Mercedes if the far superior car in every way. I don't mind the harsh ride and the performance seats are amazing. So much better than the sport seats I had in my Q50.

Only thing that sucks is I'm paying $300 more a month for this car but so far it's amazing and is worth every penny.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:08 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H

Q60 RS - 13.3
C43 - 12.7

careful, he's an AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEER
Old 09-18-2019, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by coladin
I just test drove a 2019 C43 wagon yesterday, with the 19" wheels. I took it down a notoriously bumpy stretch of road that made my '17 feel like it had a suspension from a chariot. Embarrassingly bad. I am happy to report that Mercedes has made a siginficant improvement in ride quality. It was like they discovered how to handle an imperfect road. It is now passable, but the next issue is the garbage Continentals. Fine on the test drive , but a month later are brutally loud. I am not sure if I was imagining it but the steering was lighter, disappointingly lighter than my 17. To the OP, you are better off probably getting a GLC43.

Just a sidenote: test drove an S5 sportback and a 2020 M340xi as well on the same roads. The Audi was poor, and just as bad as my 17 C43 while the BMW positively glided over that stretch of road, on non-runflat Michelin Pilot 4S. I think I am going to make the switch

As someone who owns both a C450 and a GLC43, the GLC43 is a superior car for accessing the rear seats. There is much more room back there for ingress and egress. Also....stroller!!! Also, if you want to haul *** when the kid is not in the car the GLC43 is just as capable as the C43 on public roads. The ABC lowers and stabilizes body roll. It's very planted for a crossover and it's very quick when you mash the go pedal. You will only really notice the difference on body roll when driving with the suspension lifted for obstacles or when driving more aggressively than anyone should with a baby in the car. Downside is that the GLC is a bit more expensive.

Last edited by Mr. J; 09-18-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
c450
If you're an automotive engineer then you should know US and Japanese manf use SAE and Europe uses EEC for hp measurement. If you want to compare you have to take about 80hp off the SAE number. I test drove the red sport, it's no where near as peppy as a C43. Not to mention is has a cheap interior and is not in the same league as MB in refinement.
This exactly. When I was test driving c43 against m340i and Red Sport, the Infiniti was the first one off my list. It leads the way on the spec sheet but it had no pep and just felt boring to drive. Wasn't impressed at all. The other two were closer, but ultimately I was coming from a BMW and decided to try MB for a bit. The Merc dealer had a used Red Sport, too, so I was driving these back to back on the same course. And honestly, I rode the Infiniti first, and was disappointed by it before I even tried the c43.

Just one guy's opinion, but I agree with everyone else here, c43 sedan is the way to go(don't make the coupe mistake with a baby... been down that road before and it's a nightmare).

EDIT: The further in to this thread I read, and after realizing where Jonathan is coming from, I can see the divide. To me, the c43 coupe / 440i don't make a lot of sense. These cars just make far more sense as a sports sedan. IMO they are a segment meant for those of us who love cars like the c63/M4, but grew up a bit and had kids and still want a sip from the AMG cup, but aren't looking to track the car.

Which is to say, I think it is perfect for a guy with a kid on the way. Sedan though, not the coupe.

Last edited by lindigj; 09-19-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:54 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
Originally Posted by lindigj
This exactly. When I was test driving c43 against m340i and Red Sport, the Infiniti was the first one off my list. It leads the way on the spec sheet but it had no pep and just felt boring to drive. Wasn't impressed at all. The other two were closer, but ultimately I was coming from a BMW and decided to try MB for a bit. The Merc dealer had a used Red Sport, too, so I was driving these back to back on the same course. And honestly, I rode the Infiniti first, and was disappointed by it before I even tried the c43.

Just one guy's opinion, but I agree with everyone else here, c43 sedan is the way to go(don't make the coupe mistake with a baby... been down that road before and it's a nightmare).
You're right about your observations wrt the performance of the two cars, but it's got nothing to do with SAE vs EEC horsepower measurements (they are just different units for the same measurement). Manufacturers list only peak horsepower, which is not a true indicator by itself. The torque curves, weight of the cars, transmission, suspension all contribute to vast differences. Even type of the steering rack makes so much difference. When I test drove the Q50 RS, the steering feedback was one of the main negatives I observed.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
c450
Originally Posted by Tuxdude
You're right about your observations wrt the performance of the two cars, but it's got nothing to do with SAE vs EEC horsepower measurements (they are just different units for the same measurement). Manufacturers list only peak horsepower, which is not a true indicator by itself. The torque curves, weight of the cars, transmission, suspension all contribute to vast differences. Even type of the steering rack makes so much difference. When I test drove the Q50 RS, the steering feedback was one of the main negatives I observed.
For sure, I suppose I should have specified I meant his observation about the Q50, I did not really qualify his comment on the HP measurements.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
S205 C43 if your outside of North America. Keep long roofs alive!

Definitely! If the estate was an option in the US we probably would have gone that route instead of the GLC. C43 wagon with ABC would be the cat's *** for sure.