Tuned Car - Mercedes Certified

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 01:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes c43
Tuned Car - Mercedes Certified

Hey All,
Does anyone have experience bringing their tuned MB in to get certified at the end of a lease. Trying to figure out if they are going to check to see if the car is tuned.
I have previously brought the car in for warranty work on my exhaust and every maintenance A,B etc and they never said anything.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Hey Biff have you read the lease, wada you think they are going to say when they hook up the diagnostics!
Old 11-01-2019, 05:50 PM

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by NYC43
Hey All,
Does anyone have experience bringing their tuned MB in to get certified at the end of a lease. Trying to figure out if they are going to check to see if the car is tuned.
I have previously brought the car in for warranty work on my exhaust and every maintenance A,B etc and they never said anything.

Yes they will know when they hook car up

Which is y I did jb4
Old 11-01-2019, 08:39 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
My C32 was leased and was returned with a SL55 Airbox and Coilovers. They never returned to tell me I had to pay for any fees or what not. You should really just ask your dealer. It could save you the trip/reflash fee.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C450 (gone), 2018 GLC43 (gone), 2020 GLC43
Lease returns are assessed by a third party. The dealer has the option to buy the leased vehicle and CPO it or let Mercedes-Benz take it back and do whatever they do to resell it.
That is usually done between the sales department and lease appraiser.

NOW, what I originally thought your question meant was: Does anyone have any experience with getting their car Certified for a lease buy out. (Getting the car CPO'd, but keeping it after lease is up).
If this is what your question was, then MY answer is this: For "lease buy outs" at my dealership, we make sure everything is safe and in good working order. We Cover Our ***** and are sure to quote all items a normal CPO would require. BUT... We know the client has had this vehicle and already knows about what they have done. Kind of turn a blind eye to something, like maybe not having run-flat tires because they don't like them. Or maybe some aftermarket items installed that normally wouldn't be approved. After all, it's your car and you're buying what you have had for years... If it's safety related, we will still require correction.

Technicians usually wouldn't say anything about a vehicle coming in for maintenance, because we understand.
If there is a client's concern that may have been caused or is definitely caused by aftermarket things, then a technician would definitely point it out. The thing you HAVE to understand about modding a car is that Mercedes-Benz can call back the parts replaced and determine if it was in fact caused by a factory defect. If they determine it was not in fact a defective item, they can in fact charge the dealership for the parts. Which, rolls back downhill to the technician for replacing something they shouldn't have. In other words, they can lose their job or be held responsible for costs (not likely) for replacing something that the owner did...
Old 11-03-2019, 07:24 PM

Mercedes c43
Originally Posted by redsly
Lease returns are assessed by a third party. The dealer has the option to buy the leased vehicle and CPO it or let Mercedes-Benz take it back and do whatever they do to resell it.
That is usually done between the sales department and lease appraiser.

NOW, what I originally thought your question meant was: Does anyone have any experience with getting their car Certified for a lease buy out. (Getting the car CPO'd, but keeping it after lease is up).
If this is what your question was, then MY answer is this: For "lease buy outs" at my dealership, we make sure everything is safe and in good working order. We Cover Our ***** and are sure to quote all items a normal CPO would require. BUT... We know the client has had this vehicle and already knows about what they have done. Kind of turn a blind eye to something, like maybe not having run-flat tires because they don't like them. Or maybe some aftermarket items installed that normally wouldn't be approved. After all, it's your car and you're buying what you have had for years... If it's safety related, we will still require correction.

Technicians usually wouldn't say anything about a vehicle coming in for maintenance, because we understand.
If there is a client's concern that may have been caused or is definitely caused by aftermarket things, then a technician would definitely point it out. The thing you HAVE to understand about modding a car is that Mercedes-Benz can call back the parts replaced and determine if it was in fact caused by a factory defect. If they determine it was not in fact a defective item, they can in fact charge the dealership for the parts. Which, rolls back downhill to the technician for replacing something they shouldn't have. In other words, they can lose their job or be held responsible for costs (not likely) for replacing something that the owner did...
I am going to buy out my currently leased c43 and want to grt it certified. I totally understand if I blow my turbos or trans it's not going to be covered because of tune. Thanks for the response, very helpful.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:59 PM

Absolutely! Hope you don't get some douche that tries to tell you otherwise.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
I am going to buy out my currently leased c43 and want to grt it certified. I totally understand if I blow my turbos or trans it's not going to be covered because of tune. Thanks for the response, very helpful.
if you have had the car. and everythig runs well, why would you ask them to CPO it to buy it back? You will end up paying for this. it usually is $600-$2000 depending on year make and model. the only reason i could see to do this is to get an extra year of warranty because CPO get 5 years of warranty total usually. But if you are modding the car, then it doesnt really make sense because engine and electrical items are most expensive to fix and if you are hooked into either with mods they wont warranty it anyway.

modern cars should not need a warranty to be used. if things dont fail in the first 2-3 years the probability of them failing 3-6 years is low. new cars are designed to last 150k miles or 10 years usually. what you are doing doesnt make sense and will end up costing you more for no reason.
The following users liked this post:
b6tbfmp (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 10:57 PM

Their lease term is up, so they are buying the car. The car has been titled, so it is a used car. If you buy a CPO vehicle, you get 12 months after the factory (4/50) warranty expires. If you buy the extended warranty, then you can get an additional 2 years. MB CPO warranties generally have unlimited mileage. A little piece of mind for people.
For example, I have a vehicle that I'm replacing pistons in right now under CPO warranty. I understand your concerns about it being a tuned vehicle, but body harness, networking, most, telematics, etc should't be impacted by the ME being tuned. So, for the most part, those would be covered by warranty.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:46 PM

Mercedes c43
Just to give the group an update, the service dept didn't say anything about the tune and my car was certified.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:22 AM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
2018 C63 Sedan
Just to give the group an update, the service dept didn't say anything about the tune and my car was certified.
Yes the problem won't come until you make a claim on something major.. Then they scan ECU and deny. Why turn down your money now? From their perspective most cars never have a claim.